Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
It's high time we open up another workshopping thread!

What this thread is for

This is the thread where you can post your short stories and novel excerpts for feedback!

Previous threads had maximum word counts. I don't think that's useful, especially for those of us working on longer short stories, novellas, and novels.

I'm going to put this right up front: :siren: If you are planning to submit your story for publication, please be aware that publishers may or may not consider posts in this thread as "prior publication" which could make your story ineligible. :siren: The way around this is to post your stories behind a link; most people will use Google docs for this purpose.

How to post

You can of course just paste your story directly into the thread.

Many CC writers use Google docs. If you would like to share your story as a Google docs link, make sure your share settings are set to "anyone with a link can read/comment" :eng101:

You do not have to allow comments on your doc. You can certainly make it read-only and direct crits back to this thread. If you want line-by-line crits on a Google doc, however, it's better to enable comments.

How to post goodly

Any story or excerpt longer than about 5000 words should be posted as a Google docs link (or similar format) so readers don't have to scroll for ages.

Any story or excerpt shorter than 5000 words may be posted in this thread. Please see the caveat about publishers at the top of this post.

If you post a story, you should be prepared to crit someone else's story.

If you are posting your story in the thread, make sure to hit preview to catch any formatting errors. No one wants to read a horrible block of text because you couldn't be bothered to format your story for the forums. If you write in standard manuscript format in a word processor, you will need to do a small amount of work to make sure your spacing and formatting is appropriate for this thread.

Bad:

quote:

Title
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Good:

quote:

Title

How to crit goodly

The Fiction Advice thread has an excellent post about giving and receiving feedback! Scroll down a bit for advice on giving critiques.

I'm not going to post a rubric or guide because there are a lot of different ways to critique and some of it will depend on the format. Offering line-by-line critique directly in-document is going to be very different than writing a general content critique on the forums.

You do not have to have to have any special experience or insight to offer someone a critique. The only thing that isn't helpful are short, shallow responses like "this sucks" or "this is great".

I'll say it again: if you post a story, you should be prepared to crit someone else's story.

Resources:

Feel free to join CC's premier writing Discord! Also the home of the Thunderdome contest community.

https://discord.gg/FHT2UVM

I will add other resources here as people give them to me.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Ccs posted:

I'm looking for feedback on the opening section of my novel. A lot of people have looked at it and I got a few sparse notes but I had one recent viewer that had an issue with almost every line. I was so thrown by the reaction that I'm now second guessing my ability to string a sentence together or construct a scene at all. Wondering if people here will have similar reactions.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yQn0Ehp2HM11BlNUr5eNojWZnkl61siqKHi1Qas7ea8/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to comment on the doc or quote sections here, though as I just learned trying to copy from Google Docs into a forum post leads to very strange formatting issues.
I'll also take a look at the next few things posted in this thread that people are looking for feedback on, as long as they're not too many pages.

I left a few comments on the doc.

In general, I enjoyed this! It's punchy and funny. Cantus is really legible as someone who really really wants his job to be more exciting than it is. I had a few nitpicks, but I am having trouble figuring out what was so egregious in the mind of your other reader.