Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Hi! I'm looking for crits on my short (only 3800 words!) that was popular on /r/HFY and Tumblr.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JDMXf4fCDpKDqvjeLEQzlhA1F8jMvj5mMFcZV0mP9nA/edit?usp=sharing

This is a self contained story, but I plan on using the crits on my longer stuff. Thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

rohan posted:

I’ll try and offer a more substantive crit later, but on a quick first read I’d recommend paying attention to your tenses: you begin in past, and then switch to present when Captain Shimmer reminisces, and then you alternate back and forth a bit. eg:

All of these verbs should be in the same tense for the story to work: right now, there’s an awkward shift between “chirruped” and “narrows” which takes me out of the story.

Tense errors are my cross to bear. It’s the thing I seemingly have the most trouble with. Thanks! I’ll go correct them.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

rohan posted:

I think your narrative felt more confident in the past tense narration, but it might be worth experimenting between rewriting scenes in each tense to see how it changes the story and how you tell it.

That makes sense. I write a lot in past tense for my day job, it makes sense it comes more naturally.