Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

My wife assured me that my chicken nugget dimensions were off so after some scientific eating research, I have revised the size requirements in the OP.

OK, good, because my wife's LCP2 was either a bit too big or just barely small enough for a backup gun, and other than those weird little revolvers from NAA (I think), I can't think of a modern gun that's much smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I actually figured out how to use Splits, and once I turned the volume on my phone up, it was usually good enough. I won't post the times because the range was a little busy and I can't 100% guarantee I got all my shots in on time. Seriously, the parts where I'd shoot once would end up with 3 shots being recorded. I planned on doing this with most of my handguns, but it ended up being just a revolver day--and not my snubby. My wife's LCP2 drops magazines when it's in my hand, and at this point I'm starting to wonder if there's a defect, because I'm pretty sure I'm not hitting the mag release. And I was out of time (only had one hour) before I got to my M&P 9c. So, those I shot just for a bit of fun. Still, I still had a blast. Get it? BLAST. And, I ran through 50 wadcutters in 38 special, and they were Unique powered, so I now have my Dirty rear end Cyrano Load shells ready.

My range doesn't allow drawing from a holster, so all of these runs had the gun on the bench.

First up: Smith & Wesson Model 63, .22/32 Kit Gun. J-frame, 3" barrel, 22 LR. It took a few practice runs and a lot of masking tape, but I eventually got a good run. This is a fun gun, and with a 400 pound DA trigger and a 3" barrel, well, let's just say that precision shooting ain't its forte. But God drat, did I have fun passing this drill. I was also going to try with 22 Shorts, but I ran out of time.

Next, the gun I spent the most time with, and sadly, the one I've been neglecting a little, my Model 686. I ran this with 38 special double-ended wadcutters, handloaded of course with 148 grain lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Company and 3.2 grains of Unique. Needless to say, these are a little dirty. I did a bunch of runs with these, even a few after this particular run, because I love shooting these cartridges. If you have the means, I highly recommend loading them up. (I circled one impact because I wasn't sure if it was clear. I'm counting it as a hit.) I really need more DA practice with this one.

Next, the pistol that's becoming my favorite because large pistol primers are inexplicably easier to find these days: my Model 629. This early run went so well that I took a picture, since I figured it wouldn't get much better. It didn't, but I was starting to run short on time, so I did maybe one more run after this. These are handloaded 44 specials that are astonishingly slow, but really fun to shoot.

Finally, the handcracker run, 44 magnum. Magtech FMJs aren't as bad as many factory loads, but they do pack a wallop, and shooting this drill was quite the challenge. Because of how often I've been shooting the Sledged Hammer here, my aim was pretty good, but full disclosure: I probably had both hands on the gun for this particular run. I did a couple runs by the book, but... yeah, this is a both-hands-kinda exercise.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm not sure about the 629, but I only passed it the one time, and I was holding on with both hands that time. I probably ran it three or four times, max.

With the 686, I ran the drill 10 times, and I passed thrice. (I know I used 50 rounds.)

With the 63, I ran it at least five times, passing twice. I'm not sure exactly how many times I ran it.

I gotta do more work on these speedy runs.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I might try this one last time with my Mk IV 22/45, but only without the red dot.

Gives me an excuse to shoot it. Not that I need one.

Ha... and I just noticed the "Hand Cannon Division." Any other takers?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I squeezed in a range session instead of a bike ride. It was a just barely 60 degrees Freedomheit, which is good for a ride, but the wind was chilly, and I blasted my legs yesterday anyway. So, a shootin' I went.

About the image gallery below: I didn't want to mess with masking tape, so I figured I would just take a picture after every single run, and then I'd upload them to my computer and just mark the new holes. Sounds simple, right? Here's the thing: I had to hunt for the new holes, and especially with the 9c run, I was hitting a lot of the same spots as time went on, so that wasn't so simple. I should have marked the holes with a pencil or, you know, taped them up like a normal person to avoid confusion. It saved a bunch of time at the range, but it cost me a lot more in GIMP.

Rimfire: Ruger Mark IV 22/45: Beat it on my first try! And that's when I stopped trying. After this, it was target shooting with the stock sights. I didn't need to adjust them, but that front site has got to go.

Snub nose revolver: Taurus 605, 357 magnum, firing light 38 special handloads. It took 5 tries to pass. I only brought 30 rounds; the first 5 were shot at a target to see where the gun was printing with these bullets. (Just a little low.)

1: ; 2: ; 3: ; 4: ; 5:

Compact carry pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P [mk 1] 9c: I just barely passed the drill--on my one successful run, I'm counting the borderline hit that broke the circle, although if it's too much of an edge case, I'm OK with this not counting. I kept running the drill afterward, but with not-so-great results. I shoot way better with the magazine that has the pinky extension. Switching from one to the other is where the real fun begins, though.

1: ; 2: ; 3: ; 4: ; 5: ; 6: ; 7: ; 8:

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 1, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Eye, four won, am awl fore a match with know thyme limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

And just to cement my shame: I picked a five-round drill to conserve ammo. I then proceeded to fail it over and over. I finally passed it three times after having burned through nearly three boxes of ammo. And then I discovered I had largely been wasting ammo trying to pass the test since I was using targets that were too small.

Silver lining is that I can pass the drill on a smaller target?

There you go!

Thankfully, my range actually had the correct target. Although, when I went there at first, I thought I'd have to get Blue Man Group and actually draw the target on. Or, tape a similarly sized target in the appropriate areas.

I can tell you what... the time limit really is the thing that makes it hard. I could almost bulls-eye this drill with my 686 shooting 38 spl wadcutters in single action it time weren't a factor. And I also went through a bunch of ammo on this... a surprisingly large amount of it being handloads.