Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

This month, with ammo prices through the roof and availability a gamble, I wanted to try a skills test that used a lower round count.

Allow me to introduce Ken Hackathorn's "Wizard Drill". Here's a copy-paste from a Greg Ellifritz article:

[Hackathorn] calls his skill evaluation the ďWizard Drill.Ē The drill requires only five rounds, a holster, a shot timer, and an IDPA-style silhouette target. All stages begin with the firearm in a concealed holster. Each string of fire has a maximum time limit of 2.5 seconds.

Stage 1) 3 yards, one head shot strong hand only

Stage 2) 5 yards, one head shot using both hands on the gun

Stage 3) 7 yards, one head shot using both hands on the gun

Stage 4) 10 yards, two body shots using both hands on the gun.

At the completion of the exercise, you should have three head shots and two body shots on your target. Each string of fire must have started with the gun in the holster and must be completed within the 2.5 second time limit. Any misses or shots after the time limit indicate a failure of the drill.

TL;DR: the drill takes five rounds and one target. Running it once is a fast and frugal shooting skills test. A box of ammo will get you ten reps at it. If you're passing it easily at the given par time, push the distances, or the par times. Or both!

I am declaring the following divisions:

Rimfire
Backup Gun (anything that can be covered by five standard chicken nuggets)
Carry (larger than five chicken nuggets, up to seven)
Fullsize (larger than seven chicken nuggets)

Results are to expressed in number of passing scores versus number of attempts. For example: 2/3.

Link to article:

https://www.activeresponsetraining....ns-wizard-drill

Leaderboard:

Rimfire
Bogon - 1/1
poeticoddity - 1/2
Davin Valkri - 1/2
tarlibone - 2/5??

Backup
poeticoddity - 1/2

Carry
Bogon - 1/1
infrared35 - 3/25
poeticoddity - 0/2

Fullsize
Bogon - 1/1
tarlibone - 3/10
poeticoddity - 0/2
Davin Valkri - 0/4

And because two of you have run a .44 Magnum, I'm adding another division: Hand Cannon.

tarlibone - 1/2?
Bogon - 1/3

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MantisClaw posted:

Just to confirm cause Iím going to need to jury rig targets, IDPA scoring zones are 6Ēx 6Ē for the head and 8Ē circle for the body?

Yeah, that's correct. My computer's acting up and I have no idea where my previous reply went.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Clarification please.

Hoping to make this challenge this month. I always intend to but Iím a horrible procrastinator.

Yeah, my bad. I forgot it started from concealed.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

My wife assured me that my chicken nugget dimensions were off so after some scientific eating research, I have revised the size requirements in the OP.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Glock 26:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

OK, good, because my wife's LCP2 was either a bit too big or just barely small enough for a backup gun, and other than those weird little revolvers from NAA (I think), I can't think of a modern gun that's much smaller.

Yeah, I was imagining a Glock 26 or J-frame when I wrote it up, but chicken nuggets are smaller than they were when I was a kid. Or Iím bigger. Or both.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dang, is that a half size silhouette? At fifteen yards?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I'll be updating the leaderboard in a bit, but I wanted to add that in lieu of running from concealed you can run from a Level II retention or higher duty holster if you want. Because I suspect that may be all I have time to do.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Did it from concealment and it sucked. My IWB holster sits kinda deep and my cover garment was really snaggy. I did six runs with a G19, and only
Got all five hits on two of the runs. And those two runs were sightly over par so they donít count.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Okay, sorry about the delay. Things got fucky. Let me know if there are any scoring errors so far.

Tarlibone - Do you know how many runs you did on each gun, and how many times you passed the drill with each gun?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

I'm not sure about the 629, but I only passed it the one time, and I was holding on with both hands that time. I probably ran it three or four times, max.

With the 686, I ran the drill 10 times, and I passed thrice. (I know I used 50 rounds.)

With the 63, I ran it at least five times, passing twice. I'm not sure exactly how many times I ran it.

I gotta do more work on these speedy runs.

Updated! Every stage is two-handed except the very first.

I'm planning on doing a subcompact run with a snubbie and the G26. And probably a fullsize run with a G17.

Ideally, all of the above with a cover garment that doesn't significantly slow me down.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Did the drill again with the G19; same cover garment but with an OWB holster instead of AIWB.

And I failed.

The first three facings were fine - good accuracy and under par times with the head shots - and then the last stage my accuracy was good but I went barely over par at 2.56 seconds.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I ran the drill six times from a Level III duty holster today. And still didnít pass.

I had two clean runs out of the six, but that last stage was always a little over par on every run.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 30, 2020

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

Ha... and I just noticed the "Hand Cannon Division." Any other takers?

I should do it. I havenít shot my Model 29 in years.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

poeticoddity posted:

G44 - 1 pass, 1 fail (primer failure)
G17 - 1 fail time, 1 fail accuracy
G19 - 1 fail time, 1 fail time and accuracy
G26 (with 12 round mag) - 1 pass, 1 fail time

This is my first time using a shot timer, so I'm learning a lot about where I need to improve.
Thanks for setting this up, OP.

Leaderboard updated.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

poeticoddity posted:

FWIW, if those targets are the ones I'm thinking of, they're significantly smaller than IDPA targets.

Yeah, those are half-size at best. Crazy.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Wa11y posted:

I have some 1/3 (and 1/4 size) IPSC targets I cut out, can I do the test at 1 yard, 1.6 yards, 2.3 yards, and 3.3 yards with the 1/3 IPSC? I may have to use my pocket knife for the first test at 1 yard.

Go hog wild! The only real difference is that your bullets are effectively three times larger on the target, so tagging a scoring ring is easier. But I say do it. In fact, do it with a big-bore handgun if you can, for maximum hilarity.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I did twelve more runs at this drat drill, finally passing three times by the end.

Edit: crap, Iíve been using 4.75Ē circles instead of a 6Ē square for the head, and Iíve been using the same 4.75Ē circles for my body shots at seven yards instead of a 8Ē circle at ten yards. An 8Ē circle at ten yards translates to a 5.6Ē circle at seven yards, so Iíve probably been passing more than Iíve been giving myself credit for. Story of my life, making things harder on myself.

I have an idea for another match - one that doesnít require a timer. I can make a new post, or save it for later if someone else has something.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 5, 2020

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Bogon posted:

In the above i averaged 1.3ish on the singles 3.8 on the double as the second shot hung up on the reload.

I just wanted to give props to this again. Thatís really not bad for a single shot with a reload. On the MDFI qual, youíre shooting a fist-sized target at five yards, and you have to draw-shoot-reload-shoot in less than six seconds.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

And just to cement my shame: I picked a five-round drill to conserve ammo. I then proceeded to fail it over and over. I finally passed it three times after having burned through nearly three boxes of ammo. And then I discovered I had largely been wasting ammo trying to pass the test since I was using targets that were too small.

Silver lining is that I can pass the drill on a smaller target?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I like the idea of have two-month overlapping shoots. I will write up the November-December shoot unless there are any objections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The seventh angel poured forth his bowl into the air. A loud voice came forth out of the temple, from the throne, saying It. Is. Done.