Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Jon Bois is back on his bullshit, talking about the Georgia Tech – San Diego State game, like you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
First chapter review: I feel like a lot more of the basic setup was explained than I expected; I guess further chapters are going to be heavily about team interplay. Also, the Georgia Tech players seem to be sticking to their own field, but the San Diego State players are just going wherever? And isn't this set after the last installment, where there were hardly any humans left and they had half-magical powers of surviving in tornados? Why is getting over a building suddenly difficult?

Anyway, the concept is cute, and it seems like it's setting up a long drama about the getaway.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I remember the tornado survival was a result of nanobots being released into the atmosphere that prevent people from dying or aging, but can't think of any other superhuman abilities. In one of the coast to coast football games, they were stuck in a canyon for decades because no one could get the ball out of it. With 111 teams playing on their intersecting fields, I assume they cross over occasionally in order to capture a football and Georgia Tech was just keeping a small contingent on defense. Based on the map of all the fields, it looks like San Diego State should be stranded on their own field and will have to have found a way onto another field.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1310766452945846272?s=20

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Regarding today's update, what do y'all think the loophole is? My guess: Players can't leave the field, but footballs can, as long as they don't land out of bounds. Water is the only thing between the southern end of the Stanford(?) field and the SDSU field, so conceivably a team could build something to launch or carry the footballs past the end of that field into the SDSU field, where no other team would be able to get them back out. Or something similar from the Boise State field, given it's closer to SDSU.

That doesn't explain how Nick and Manny left the SDSU field to begin with, though. Maybe they're transfer students, or they left the SDSU field before global warming/erosion caused water levels to rise and the SDSU field to be cut off from the rest?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I think its just simply the country borders are fields themselves and you can run on them

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When are we going to get a cross-country football video game? Too bad Cool Games Inc. podcast isn't still around, that would be a good bit Vox brand synergy if Jon Bois could go on there and they could work out what that would look like.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 30, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm guessing that you don't need to actually become a player while you're on your home field, so Manny and Nick became SDSU players while already on other fields, and SDSU or some other team gets a new stadium, which brings SDSU into play proper.

My guess at the loophole is mostly because new buildings are specifically called out as not really happening any more, and the video directly mentions that SDSU was supposed to move into a new stadium at some point but it never happened.

rjmccall posted:

First chapter review: I feel like a lot more of the basic setup was explained than I expected; I guess further chapters are going to be heavily about team interplay. Also, the Georgia Tech players seem to be sticking to their own field, but the San Diego State players are just going wherever? And isn't this set after the last installment, where there were hardly any humans left and they had half-magical powers of surviving in tornados? Why is getting over a building suddenly difficult?

Anyway, the concept is cute, and it seems like it's setting up a long drama about the getaway.

I don't recall anything in 17776 saying that the population of the world was meaningfully lower, it's just that after a certain point people stopped dying, stopped being born, and stopped aging (after hitting adulthood). Then they added the nanobots that prevented most forms of injury/death to really solidify the whole "immortality" thing. No superhuman abilities, either, like was mentioned it's just an excuse to make people more or less invincible.

Also Jon Bois continues to have excellent taste in music.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
My thought on the loophole is fields exist in 3 dimensions so you could dig deep enough to get SDSU and Boise State to intercept. The pressure and temperature would be immense and completely infeasible using 2026 technology, but those fields intersect.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Do the nanobots interfere in games when there’s contact that the network would deem dangerous?

I assume CTE has been eradicated by whatever has imbued everyone with medical immortality.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Has the definition of an academic year been expanded so that people won’t run out of eligibility too quickly?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
You have to root for Manny and Nick. Chapter 3 is amazing and I really hope they can make it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oil! posted:

You have to root for Manny and Nick. Chapter 3 is amazing and I really hope they can make it.

Same. If thy don't though...poo poo's will get wild in its own way.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I hope they make it but if they don't the loss of nine balls and wherever they end up getting placed is going to radically reshape future football. Also I feel like Bois is setting us up with the reminder that they're technically still following the basic football rules with downs etc. etc. This is just pure sport and I love it a lot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

I hope they make it but if they don't the loss of nine balls and wherever they end up getting placed is going to radically reshape future football. Also I feel like Bois is setting us up with the reminder that they're technically still following the basic football rules with downs etc. etc. This is just pure sport and I love it a lot.

so if they don't make it, those balls get started back at the line they exited bounds (i.e. the border) and I assume literally everyone or at least the nine teams whose balls were taken now get a chance to set up to try and get their ball back. Except that there's eight other teams who each want to take their ball and possibly the others.

But knowing Bois, it's more than that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is everybody in the game still wearing pads and helmets?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I think generally they go incognito because of the nanobots. Don't have to worry about getting seriously hurt because it's just not possible anymore.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Seconding that chapter 3 was great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Another Monday, another part. This one establishing more rules an giving us an interesting situation.

This seems to foreshadow a possibility of Manny and Nick losing the balls at the Mexican border and relying on someone in a whole other country to hand the balls over to someone.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

:toot:

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1316214075442032641

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Just pay Bois to do videos like this forever imo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I've gotten way behind on this.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I finally caught up, and I don’t understand how this train thing works; like okay, it’s amazing, but surely someone involved with the train just goes and gets their locomotive back, and news about it gets around, and it’s not exactly difficult to piece together that it had something to do with football

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

rjmccall posted:

I finally caught up, and I dont understand how this train thing works; like okay, its amazing, but surely someone involved with the train just goes and gets their locomotive back, and news about it gets around, and its not exactly difficult to piece together that it had something to do with football

I assume the balls were moved off the train in the the allowable OOB time and hidden under some brush. They would have cleared the tracks in several hours at most, unless all rail workers are SDSU fans.

Edit: That UAB offence will haunt my dreams.

Oil! fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 16, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oil! posted:

I assume the balls were moved off the train in the the allowable OOB time and hidden under some brush. They would have cleared the tracks in several hours at most, unless all rail workers are SDSU fans.

Edit: That UAB offence will haunt my dreams.

That UAB strat is super clever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sharks man...

As someone who went to Florida, it's a bit of a shame it got put under water with pretty much all of the other Florida schools. I'm curious as to if their lanes would be interesting and how much Florida Man they could bring to the game or what sort of advantages having a field that stretches to the rear end end of the country could do.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
this entire last update is just one big :ohdear:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

What a fantastic chapter. All sorts of emotions, a wide amount of topics covered, amazing writing, and a great cliffhanger.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I unabashedly lost my poo poo, watching the video for chapter 12. Absolutely cried. It was beautiful.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Also finally caught up, chapter 12 was a tearjerker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the last chapter was really nice.