Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh wow Reddick failed to produce with RISP?! I'm shocked!

Can't wait for him to get off the Astros forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao reddick

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Bonus wins is simpler and makes more sense than bonus runs or runners. You could have a "best of 5" where the top seed only has to win 2 games to advance while the lower seed must win 3.

I agree they need to do this kind of thing if they're going to expand the postseason.

It's sick that the a's finally get past the astros to win the division and it means basically nothing lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Hey IP how good is the Twins bullpen?

Depends on the day. But there's probably four guys who I'm only worried about because of years of conditioning me for failure. If you were from the future and told me the game came down to the bullpens I would probably assume we won.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Abreu!!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Abreu going super saiyan has been one of the more fun stories this year.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Luzardo should cut it out with the middle middle fastballs imo

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

gently caress everything

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The brief White Sox swoon at the end of this season plus this stupid format is going to absolutely gently caress over the A’s, heh

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Altuve just an auto-out.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Altuve just an auto-out.

May this never change

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Fantastic analytics from Oakland sending Jesus Lizard against a team that massacres 95MPH fastballs from lefties.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Luzardo was a dumb choice to start this game, the White Sox this season just absolutely mulched LHP's as a group: 143 wRC+. It would honestly have been better to throw out a mediocre RHP than a good LHP against them.

e. lol beaten

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I'm so glad for the insightful and persistent reminders from the broadcasters that Miguel Sano is Large

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Lol Greinke pulled after 4, nice self-own Astros

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's the onfield delay?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Sydin posted:

What's the onfield delay?

Mound sucks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol

Also nice pitching change Astros.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I had this game on full blast during a meeting and didn't realize it until like five minutes in. :doh:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Oakland has a chronic case of playoff Lemon Booty

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Goddamn it Twins

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bregman: a pretty good third baseman.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

General Bullshit posted:

Fantastic analytics from Oakland sending Jesus Lizard against a team that massacres 95MPH fastballs from lefties.

Sydin posted:

Luzardo was a dumb choice to start this game, the White Sox this season just absolutely mulched LHP's as a group: 143 wRC+. It would honestly have been better to throw out a mediocre RHP than a good LHP against them.

e. lol beaten

The A's only have two mediocre RH SPs (well, one really good one and one mediocre one), at some point they'd have to use a lefty in a three game series. Montas and Mike Minor are just not startable in the playoffs this year against any lineup if you can at all help it

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Really though the issue is that Billy Beane has been cursed by a wrathful god for Moneyball and will never win in the playoffs

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bregor posted:

Lol Greinke pulled after 4, nice self-own Astros

Uh...it turned out perfectly fine?

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
imagine pitching in the Cell all the time as your home park and then you get to go pitch in oakland

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao @ Ravech just putting the home plate ump completely on blast on a nationally broadcast game

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Uh...it turned out perfectly fine?
there are still more innings for Astros pitchers to make it turn out not so fine for them

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Dutchy posted:

The A's only have two mediocre RH SPs (well, one really good one and one mediocre one), at some point they'd have to use a lefty in a three game series. Montas and Mike Minor are just not startable in the playoffs this year against any lineup if you can at all help it

Mike Minor has one of the weirdest career profiles, just a guy who absolutely worked it the secret and then lost it completely. like Flowers for Algernon but for pitching

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
It rules that ESPN has a graphic for A's playoff futility and doesn't even have to reach back to four consecutive Game 5 ALDS losses to make the point lol

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I wasn't asked, but Twins bullpen is deep. They lack multiple top end guys, but Tyler Duffey is going on a year of being superb and Rogers has been a workhorse for years (having a down season though). May and Romo are guys they want to use as high leverage arms, but have scuffled a little. Clippard (reverse splits for his career) and Wisler (sliders all the drat time) have gaudy numbers, they really round out the depth. Oh, and the rookie Alcala, they got him as part of the Pressly deal (he throws hard). Thielbar is a lefty from Minnesota that was out of the league for years, a feel good story. Cody Stashak is the last man in the bullpen, has great numbers in 40 career innings, but only so-so stuff. Starting pitcher Jake Odorizzi is also available out of the pen.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

bawfuls posted:

Maeda previously had some significant platoon splits. It is a credit to him and the Twins that he's made great strides against lefty hitting this year and that makes him a much more effective starter than he was previously.

It does suck the way the Dodgers moved him to the BP every year but there was a justifiable baseball reason to do it considering the Dodgers pitching depth and Maeda's death-on-RHH skills particularly in short stints.

The real issue is the contract structure in the first place, which never should have been allowed. But LOL at the union protecting guys from exploitative contract terms.

The adjustment has been to have him throw his slider far more often, especially against lefties. There's been some ridiculous level of change to this, I'd have to dig the numbers. Twins coaching love sliders.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is odd to me that it was such a simple change to pitch mix, becase that's the exact kind of thing the Dodgers have done successfully with many pitchers before.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
RIP Twins

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
some hideous at-bats from the a's that inning

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

I wasn't asked, but Twins bullpen is deep. They lack multiple top end guys, but Tyler Duffey is going on a year of being superb and Rogers has been a workhorse for years (having a down season though). May and Romo are guys they want to use as high leverage arms, but have scuffled a little. Clippard (reverse splits for his career) and Wisler (sliders all the drat time) have gaudy numbers, they really round out the depth. Oh, and the rookie Alcala, they got him as part of the Pressly deal (he throws hard). Thielbar is a lefty from Minnesota that was out of the league for years, a feel good story. Cody Stashak is the last man in the bullpen, has great numbers in 40 career innings, but only so-so stuff. Starting pitcher Jake Odorizzi is also available out of the pen.

Alcala isn't on the roster

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Giolito through six. Interesting game so far.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I wish we still had the emoticon of Milk-chan saying “YOU DUMBASS”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Giolito :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man how the gently caress do you get thrown out at 3rd in that situation.