Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system are you buying this shitheap on
PC
Playstation 4/5
whatever XBox is calling their poo poo now
WiiU
View Results

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I had bought this cheap for the (ok) campaign. I played multi for the first time (Halloween Nuketown) and while this is no BO2 and definitely not one of the better Cods I enjoyed myself way more than expected. Just in time for, in a few weeks, everyone else to move to Vanguard which I give absolutely no fucks about and looks far worse than this game. That said,

Trump posted:

Just reinstalled MW. Boy oh boy that's a good game. CW was such a downgrade in every conceivable way. One might say CW is poo poo.
Yeah I think I might play MW instead while everyone else plays Vanguard. Wish I had got it on PC instead though. Yeah I can hook up m/kb to my console but that's kind of a pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna miss CW when things move on to Vanguard. It's the most fun regular MP cod in a long time. I recognize the flaws but it's very fun and the zombies mode is very accessible and the cross weapon progression rules. I wish they could've had that extra year for development because by the time they got around to the last few seasons it was in pretty good shape. The maps are mostly really good, faceoff 6v6 is one of the best game modes in all of cod.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

pacerhimself posted:

I'm gonna miss CW when things move on to Vanguard.
I'm in a spot where I don't care about moving on because I'm actually not that into Cod like I used to be so I won't mind staying behind in the old ones playing TDM with the stragglers until a new game I care about is released.

That's also why the cross progression is great. I like that I can take the older games' gun blueprints and skins into Warzone when I get around to playing it after anticheat comes out

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Decided to pick CW in the sale and the Season 6 battle pass and run though it before Vanguard hits for .. reasons. (If anyone still wants to play CW MP at this late stage add me ? GT: S1Nx81)

Already have Modern Warfare/Warzone Installed and figured when I purchased CW id just install the CW content via this existing install, but this seems not to be the case and I am now downloading the CW "Base Game" + MP via the Xbox Game Library ? looks as if once this is done I can delete the Modern Warfare "base game" and have access to MW MP via the new Cold War "Base Game" instead ? this whole situation is kinda confusing ..

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

mfny posted:

Decided to pick CW in the sale and the Season 6 battle pass and run though it before Vanguard hits for .. reasons. (If anyone still wants to play CW MP at this late stage add me ? GT: S1Nx81)

Already have Modern Warfare/Warzone Installed and figured when I purchased CW id just install the CW content via this existing install, but this seems not to be the case and I am now downloading the CW "Base Game" + MP via the Xbox Game Library ? looks as if once this is done I can delete the Modern Warfare "base game" and have access to MW MP via the new Cold War "Base Game" instead ? this whole situation is kinda confusing ..

They are two different games, and the splash screens of Cold War and modern warfare will just close and launch the other game if you click on it there

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

mrking posted:

They are two different games, and the splash screens of Cold War and modern warfare will just close and launch the other game if you click on it there

It was my impression though that there is a "unifying app" in the middle of all this which is War Zone as well ? or is it that Warzone/MW are separate from CW(and presumably Vanguard) because the former are not native X/S games and the latter are ?

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie

pacerhimself posted:

I'm gonna miss CW when things move on to Vanguard. It's the most fun regular MP cod in a long time. I recognize the flaws but it's very fun and the zombies mode is very accessible and the cross weapon progression rules. I wish they could've had that extra year for development because by the time they got around to the last few seasons it was in pretty good shape. The maps are mostly really good, faceoff 6v6 is one of the best game modes in all of cod.

Do you think it would all have been better in the mw engine that feels much nicer though?

Vanguard zombies in the mw engine could be fun!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mfny posted:

It was my impression though that there is a "unifying app" in the middle of all this which is War Zone as well ? or is it that Warzone/MW are separate from CW(and presumably Vanguard) because the former are not native X/S games and the latter are ?

There is no unifying app. Each game is separate and their main menu is just glorified links to the other games. If you are in CW and choose MW/Warzone it will launch that game and vice versa. The same will be for Vanguard. The system is extremely bloated and confusing.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bungeyjump posted:

Do you think it would all have been better in the mw engine that feels much nicer though?

Vanguard zombies in the mw engine could be fun!

I think given the direction the series is going, they should've delayed BOCW by a year to port it over, for better or worse. When you look at the attachments for the release guns and the first few seasons, it's pretty obvious they didn't plan on having that many attachments for the guns. They did a bit better job with the variety towards the end.

There's certain things that 'feel' better in MW but in practice make the game worse. The way CW handles aim while bunny hopping makes for better gameplay in that specific instance. When I came back to WZ from a week of CW grinding, I dragged my aim all the way down past an enemy's feet because you actually have to compensate your aim while jumping in CW which is a small skill gap thing. In WZ you don't have to do anything and it just holds on them, which is just free aim breaking with no risk. I think that's fundamentally bad game design, in that instance.

Precision aim assist quickscoping is also fundamentally bad game design in CW though

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 24, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Looking at Vanguard videos and failing to get interested, I'm thinking Sledgehammer needed to say gently caress it and make Vanguard multiplayer like Zombies with the same aesthetic and all the magic poo poo & ray guns and whatnot. "But muh realism" yeah well instead you're getting another brown-rear end WWII game except with holosights, congrats

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Roman posted:

Looking at Vanguard videos and failing to get interested, I'm thinking Sledgehammer needed to say gently caress it and make Vanguard multiplayer like Zombies with the same aesthetic and all the magic poo poo & ray guns and whatnot. "But muh realism" yeah well instead you're getting another brown-rear end WWII game except with holosights, congrats

That's the problem, that unless you go ridiculously anachronistic, the time period traps you in what you can do. Like the killstreaks, they're just shitter versions of what we've all seen done better.

I really wish Battlefield 2042 was in better shape, so I can get my fun FPS fix, but that thing looks like it needs another year in the oven.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I really wish Battlefield 2042 was in better shape, so I can get my fun FPS fix, but that thing looks like it needs another year in the oven.

Halo MP is going to be free and looks fun as gently caress.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's the problem, that unless you go ridiculously anachronistic, the time period traps you in what you can do. Like the killstreaks, they're just shitter versions of what we've all seen done better.

limitations can help create good art, it's really only a "trap" if you're trying to replicate an incompatible formula rather than pursuing a cohesive vision taking advantage of the setting you selected

if you're bored with WW2 then either don't make a WW2 game, or yeah go ahead and do a wild sci-fi dieselpunk thing/license Achtung! Cthulu, or w/e

but like, it's pretty clearly not impossible to make a good COD game set in world war 2, and nothing about being set in world war 2 (or being a COD game) requires hackish implementation of the MW weapon customization system, having the killstreaks be sub-par versions of things done in previous COD's, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

new thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983271
gently caress everything