Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bandaid.friend posted:

Most difficult challenge in the game imo is entering the tavern without examining the missing person poster two or three times on the way in

Second place is using the alchemy table without talking to the dude behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

Second place is using the alchemy table without talking to the dude behind it.

Stop few meters early. Or better yet, use Liyue table, which is closer to teleport and has no people around.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Boy hero is canon according to this story teaser. The pronouns kind of flail about randomly, they will mess up in places no matter which protagonist you are.

canon and runs faster. sorry slowpokes but Aethergang runs this town

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Lumine turned to the dark side because she kept losing 1v1 hoops

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bussamove posted:

If boy hero is canon why is girl hero’s dress so dang cute? :colbert:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bussamove posted:

If boy hero is canon why is girl hero’s dress so dang cute? :colbert:

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
IS Xingqiu good? I wanted him least but after 40 pulls or so the gacha gods gave me 5 of him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not sure. He's not popular for spiral abyss 12 right now because he gets you wet which you don't want because you'll get frozen. If you pull his C6 you have to build into him though, it's too good, he'll get half of his ult charge back and with energy regen maybe his entire ult (not sure what the interaction is).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 25, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There's a boy hero?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I guess I'm vanilla as all hell because the wind traveler (destiny :whatup:) is me favorite to play as by far

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I got my 10 rolls for the banner and it gave me another lovely Noelle. I just want Sucrose or Xingqiu for the mat saving passive.

EDIT: I got a 10th roll on the beginner banner from getting AR 39 and it gave me another Noelle. :negative:

CJ fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 25, 2020

echofriendly
May 25, 2007

It don't mean butt
if it ain't got that jutt.

CJ posted:

I got my 10 rolls for the banner and it gave me another lovely Noelle. I just want Sucrose or Xingqiu for the mat saving passive.

Xingqiu's heal is pretty decent

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you manage to get Noelle up to c6 she becomes an absolute beast when her Q is up.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The destroy training dummies in 2 seconds mission can get hosed. The dummies must scale with world level because I used to have no problem just dropping amber's clone and using the Geo Traveller rock. Except now Amber can't kill them even when unless they're on a sliver of health. And I've got the one where it's two packs of 3 on opposites sides so I can't cheese it by an aerial attack or doing a fire spread. I did get it done eventually, just took using a really weak character to bring down the HP to the bare minimum of one set.

nessin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 25, 2020

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ibblebibble posted:

If you manage to get Noelle up to c6 she becomes an absolute beast when her Q is up.

Yeah but that's not happening this year.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Hey if that dude can pull a C5 Xinqqiu in 40 pulls anything can happen.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So neat story but I think I figured out what 1.1 or the next update after that is going to feature.

Story spoilers abound.

So as established Genshin is at least somewhat linked to Honkai Impact. Teyvaat is named after Project Ark (And interestingly enough some of the hypostasis's are named in hebrew too.), the travelers look a heck of a lot like the twin "unknown entitities" that were sent out from a dying earth in one timeline, Honkai Impact confirmed that Genshin Impact is an alternate timeline, and even the gacha uses that same image (Project Ark can clone humans. You get human characters and items using a genetic library. Neat justification for a gacha, I guess if true.) to show how you get items.

But what about the thing that destroyed Earth? :honk:ai energy has all sorts of nasty effects on top of giving you visions superpowers. It has an immense (apocalyptic, even) downside however. Eventually when the levels of Honkai energy grow too great in an area it leads to all sorts of nasty effects. Some of which include madness, a misanthropic view of all human life as one's mind and perception of reality is warped, zombification for those with a low energy resistance ratio, and the possibility to get superpowers if used in a controlled manner if not. Of course in the uncontrolled scenario they start the process of turning into a Herrsher.

But where is it in Genshin Impact? Is it relevant? It sure as poo poo seems so.

Y'see, there's this thing that the manga has touched on called a Delusion. All known Delusions appear as masks that members of the Fatui's harbringers wear. In fact, all known Delusions outside of that are masks.

How is a delusion made? Why, by taking the residue of archon energies and forging a great quantity of it into a mask. This is not recommended by most sane people as while it gives you absurd powers beyond even vision users and Archon's (which have a gnosis, which is basically contained energy of something...Hm...) it also tends to drive the user towards misanthropic genocidal urges. One character that was literally coated in archon residue in the manga had hallucinations of going full Himeko in Herrsher form and just incinerating "all life" with her powers.

Of course, this is kept a secret from the populace. Some are chosen and the others are dregs, as Dainsleif says in that trailer. Even the fact that Delusions appear to be mass producible is kept a secret, to the point that it caused Diluc to leave the Knights of Favonius after they covered up a certain incident.

Said incident is why Diluc's father is dead in the game. Y'see, Diluc's father used a delusion once! In the manga poo poo goes down and another Delusion user either willingly transforms or mutates due to Honkai Archon residue energy in the mask and turns into a hosed up looking version of a dragon. IE: That thing that also shows up as the Herrsher of Void's mount/best bro in Honkai Impact before Himeko gives it the Himeko treatment (IE: Incinerates the poo poo out of it.).

Diluc's father somehow obtained or forged a delusion in secret (again, despite the nations outside of not-Russia officially condemning their usage) to defeat it when it became apparent that this thing was basically a mini-Herrsher in terms of destructive power. The Knights, all the vision users available at the time, and presumably even the Archon got their poo poo pushed in.

What happens after Diluc's father puts it on? He proceeds to curb stomp the monster into ash. Except...

Except did I mention that Honkai energy is basically a form of radiation? The way it works is that most people have zero to little resistance to ambient or concentrated Honkai energy. Those that do have higher than normal levels get visions superpowers as it mutates their body or is used in a harnessable format to grant powers.

Diluc's father was different from Diluc in that he had no vision (meaning he had no innate resistance to Honkai energy if we go by Honkai Impact's setting rules). Hence why he could never join the knights since he didn't have a vision as Diluc had at the time. And to defeat this monster he had to OD on whatever the Delusion is made out of to an absurd level. It should be obvious what happened to him in the immediate aftermath of using this energy. But wait! It gets interesting again!

Cue a conflicting set of stories. Kaeya's profile says that Diluc had to give him a mercy kill (Likely because he was disintegrating to become a Honkai monster of some sort.) due to the damage to his body while Diluc in the manga says that he simply "turned into ash" in his arms. Regardless of which, the Knights of Favonius cover the entire thing up (Can't let the normies know that everyone could have super powers. Or that the Archon's are basically doing the equivalent of harvesting the principle of freaking genocidal evil to become gods.) and Diluc is left utterly disgusted with them and basically swears off of direct association with the organization. Cue the game's plot not too far into the future.

How's all this relevant to 1.1?

It's known that Childe has a boss fight, and given what I posted up above it's almost certain that he's going to get a mutated or powered up form for that fight. Notably Childe also has narrative and naming ties to a certain piece of media that suggests he can be given a face heel turn to become one of the good guys. So if he doesn't go full Herrsher in 1.1 it's possible he'll join the Traveler. Hence why 1.1 may have him as a gacha character.

Also, all of this does finally provide a potential explanation as to why the Cicin look so hosed up and zombie like when you take a closer look at them. Cicin's wear what appear to be a mask. The delusion's masks are said to emit a smell similar to Mist Grass Pollen and it's flowers when they're activated. Cicin's are constantly on the hunt for Mist Grass Pollen in all it's forms. To the extent that bribing them with it is the one way that you can get them to not immediately torture and kill you (again, a Honkai infectee trait). In fact, the Tsaritsa and the Fatui are mentioned to have managed to recruit a few of these homicidal maniacs by bribing them with pollen.

Why is this notable? Because Honkai infectees that turn into zombies (IE: Someone with low resistance that gets exposed to Honkai energy/is stupid enough to try and get powers through it without checking what level of resistance they have. They get their wish, but it ends poorly for them.) try to accumulate more :honk:ai radiation in their bodies so they can mutate into actual monsters. Or in the case of a Herrsher forming somewhere in the world they'll collect as much Honkai energy as possible and flock to it to boost the ambient radiation levels and accelerate/boost the Herrsher's final form to even more absurd heights.

It's entirely possible that Mist Grass flowers are literally a plant that radiates Honkai energy or it's local AU equivalent!

Edit: And, as a side note, I should mention that the trailer shows that what's implied to be Khaen'riah is depicted as being an endless sea of flowers. Dainsleif is also sporting what is definitely some sort of Honkai infection too. It's also the one kingdom (And a time displaced one at that, neat ties to that hidden time temple and Paimon there. Though that's a whole different post.) where it's described as the Archon's having no control over for some odd reason. It's one known inhabitant (Dainsleif) that talks about it also seems to be in a full on "rage against the Archons" mood as well.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 25, 2020

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

CJ posted:

Yeah but that's not happening this year.

I somehow pulled Barbara 5 times in a row so anything's possible!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Also, in the case of that one guy who was worried about buying wishes for Venti/existing characters: All of that stuff I posted means that suped up versions of existing characters may not be as far off as I originally thought.

They've got everything from high powered predecessor characters like Diluc's father and Vanessa already written up in the backstory to a whole new type of character in the form of Delusion users. They've got the justification to go ahead with it whenever they want.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 25, 2020

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Archonex posted:

Also, in the case of that one guy who was worried about buying wishes for Venti/existing characters All of that stuff I posted means that suped up versions of existing characters may not be as far off as I originally thought.

They've got everything from high powered predecessor characters like Diluc's father and Vanessa already written up in the backstory to a whole new type of character in the form of Delusion users. They've got the justification to go ahead with it whenever they want.

I will pay good money for Paimon Alter.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Amuys posted:

I somehow pulled Barbara 5 times in a row so anything's possible!

and I have 5c fish, sometimes you get lucky

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Only c3 noelle after ~70 pulls. Should stop. Logic says stop. Hmph.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

kater posted:

Only c3 noelle after ~70 pulls. Should stop. Logic says stop. Hmph.

Might as well go for the pity 5* and if you pick up more Noelles on the way, that's just a bonus

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I did get gremlin. But could get more noelles...

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
can confirm c6 noelle rips poo poo up during ult

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Playing on PS4 cause my laptop cant run this. Also have an account on my phone that I got to AR7 where I managed to roll QiQi, Chongyun, Xiangling, Barbara, Noelle and Xingqiu.

That was weeks ago. Logged in just now and got Klee with my first goddamn pull on the new banner with the freebie gems they mailed us. Now I have two 5 stars on the account I've played for 45 minutes. And still 0 five stars on my main account where I've completely cleared out Mondstadt lol. Gacha is a fickle mistress.

At least i have a super fun team to mess around with on my phone when I'm bored. Wet with Xinqiu, freeze with Chongyun or QiQi and then nuke everything with Klee. It's pretty nuts.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
You get 1 Noelle out of every 3.4 4*s on the Klee banner, unless they radically change their primogem policy in then ext couple of weeks i'm not going to be able to get 4 more.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a lot Archonex for those effortposts, fascinating stuff.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Playing on PS4 cause my laptop cant run this. Also have an account on my phone that I got to AR7 where I managed to roll QiQi, Chongyun, Xiangling, Barbara, Noelle and Xingqiu.

That was weeks ago. Logged in just now and got Klee with my first goddamn pull on the new banner with the freebie gems they mailed us. Now I have two 5 stars on the account I've played for 45 minutes. And still 0 five stars on my main account where I've completely cleared out Mondstadt lol. Gacha is a fickle mistress.

At least i have a super fun team to mess around with on my phone when I'm bored. Wet with Xinqiu, freeze with Chongyun or QiQi and then nuke everything with Klee. It's pretty nuts.

At that point I'd definitely reconsider which one of those is your main account. Especially because the PS4 version can't crossplay, but your phone account can, if you ever get a better computer or whatever.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
My genshin starts flickering after a while. not sure what it could be. maybe game or driver related? it stops as soon as i alt tab out of the game, and is not a problem in other games. i get a steady 60fps but maybe its not playing nice with gsync or something. any ideas? computer is running gtx3080, and two LG 27GL83A-B monitors

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GarudaPrime posted:

IS Xingqiu good? I wanted him least but after 40 pulls or so the gacha gods gave me 5 of him.

Not really a unit you use actively but he’s a force multiplier for certain characters. I saw a dude ripping things to shred with Baidou using xingqiu, Xianling and Bennett or Qiqi

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Also the Sacrificial Sword is fantastic on Xingqiu, getting a free doublecast of his skill is a nice bit of damage and a whole lot of orbs to fuel his burst.

i'm using Sacrificial Sword on Jean atm but this sounds nasty as hell, i'm probably going to switch them in the future when i've eventually got him built.

i have a hand-me-down Flute on Keqing but should i just give her Lion's Roar instead?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Amuys posted:

I will pay good money for Paimon Alter.

That's just Kiana. :allears:

Also, the weird language in the story preview trailer for future parts of this arc has been translated. Someone figured out what each character stands for and it turns out that it reads as coherent sentences. When you translate it to a language that wasn't constructed for the game it translates out to latin. When you translate the latin to english you get the narrative themes in each current and future region that are showing up in the Teyvat arc.

Said language also appears to be on the robots in game. Though I don't think anyone has clued into that yet.

An alphabet for translating stuff was posted on reddit for those interested. Parts of the language kind of look like english if it had a few centuries to drift into it's own language. Which I guess was what tipped people off that there was something more going on in the subtitles to each region's story preview.

They created an entire freaking language for this game. That's Tolkien levels of detail.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 25, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Unless I'm missing something it sounds like they just created a substitution cipher, not a language, which is not exactly an unheard of level of detail in video games. Not that I don't enjoy a good cipher.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bland posted:

Unless I'm missing something it sounds like they just created a substitution cipher, not a language, which is not exactly an unheard of level of detail in video games. Not that I don't enjoy a good cipher.

"Parts of the language kind of look like english if it had a few centuries to drift into it's own language."

It's a substitution alphabet, but there's also different-ish language behind the substitution.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

My problem is going to be matsutake soon. I also didn't really appreciate how important it was to farm raw meat if you want to master all the recipes.

Yeah, you want to kill every single animal you see, basically. Just mulch those cute foxes and squirrels.

I actually devote one of my expedition slots to raw meat/fowl.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

"Parts of the language kind of look like english if it had a few centuries to drift into it's own language."

It's a substitution alphabet, but there's also different-ish language behind the substitution.

It's a substitution cipher for the latin alphabet, which is then used to form latin words (or sometimes english words).

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Why do you need to master all recipes? Is there some impact in-game or just as a thing to do?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mastering a recipe lets you auto-cook a big batch all at once. All comes out at perfect quality too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Pain of Mind posted:

Why do you need to master all recipes? Is there some impact in-game or just as a thing to do?

You get more primos from achievements?