Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Having fun with this game. Really hope they work on the options. B confirm A cancel isn't in my muscle memory for years now.
The aiming sensitivity is very different vertically than horizontally, but it's just one control slider.
Also hate screen shake and haven't played a game in some time where I can't disable it.

Gyro aiming for bow would be nice too, but probably have to use Steam or DS4Windows for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's the deadline for the Xiangling event?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Good to know. That's a relief.

Snooze Cruise posted:

what is weird about the default controls, is there something besides the circle = confirm thing that trips people up (which i get why but i am personally used to)
it should def have button mapping tho

I came to this game hot off Breath of the Wild. With the look and feel it's taking some time to adjust. General minor control gripes are pretty much on me:

- I regularly use my super when I want to jump.
- I regularly use an elemental skill when I want to draw a bow.
- Bow aiming is weird, the vertical and horizontal axis go at different speeds. Gyro isn't an option.
- I don't get 100% consistent results from the radial menu on L1 / LB. Sometimes it shows a different menu selection than what appears.
- Square / X isn't basic attack. The confirm button isn't the interact button.
- Select doesn't bring up the map - it doesn't do anything even though there are so many menus.
- R3 / RS to choose dialog options is odd. The camera is static when talking to NPCs so a stick or d-pad would make more sense.
- I have accidentally single wished when I meant to exit the wish screen.

When using a PS4 controller it shows the correct button labels which helps. At this point swapping to Western confirm/cancel mapping would probably just trip me up more.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Are well refined 3 star weapons better than base or once refined 4 star weapons?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Reposting free stuff:

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/m/en/gift
Or go to the main page and click redeem code on the menu.
Enter one of these for 30 Primogems and 5x Adventure EXP:

US: GENSHIN1006A
ASIA: GENSHIN1006S
EU: GENSHIN1006U

https://m.forums.mihoyo.com/genshin/#/article/25332
Link an email to the account if not done already. I made the account without an email originally.
Avoid reading anyone's terrible posts.
Post [Platform] + [uid] + a compliment about the game, as described in the OP.
I'm not sure what you actually get from this one.
e: vvvvv thanks RPATDO_LAMD! That makes sense.

Unrelated, there is a neat and obvious hole in the water layer you can use to walk along the ocean floor to get to the north-east island that's not on the map without using cryo. I would link to a video but they're insufferable.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 9, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

fadam posted:

What element is good at busting hydro shields?

I think that one is cryo?

YorexTheMad posted:

My question on the controller stands though, is there any way on PC to just have the game use controller without going into settings each time?

Any way? Use Joytokey or similar to map controller buttons and sticks to keyboard and mouse. You even get more control over axis sensitivity!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tabletops posted:

first one doesn't work anymore :(

Ack, you're right! These ones work for 30 Primogems and 5x Adventure EXP

US: GENSHIN1006A
ASIA: GENSHIN1006S
EU: GENSHIN1006U

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Substandard posted:

I've not put any money into this yet outside of the $5 for the daily bonus gems, but I'm having terrible luck. I keep seeing all of you with a bunch of 5 stars and I've yet to get any in over 120 total pulls (not in the same banner so I haven't hit my pity 5 star yet. I'm like 10 away from getting it in the venti banner).

I do have 4 Fischls so far, and she is awesome.

Getting the constellation way up on a character you like is really good luck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You can kind of ukemi / tech if, after getting launched by a hit, you press dash the moment your character hits the ground.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Beidou's counter is the only thing keeping combat engaging for me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Loving the effortposts about the Honkai Impact story.

It's BS that on the mobile version I can move the camera while talking to NPCs but not on the PC version.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

New code for 30 free primogems.

US - genshinMHY0M

EUR - genshinMHY0O

ASIA - genshinMHY0I

Apparently there is a daily reward for submitting a bug report too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh my God you can just glide to other platforms that don't hurt you in the Stormterror fight. I had just been tanking hits, managing healing and staying afloat when possible.

Also, when a fight is hard, eating food to boost attack and defense will often make it not hard.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

It's weird people don't want Venti, when after doing the co-op event he looks like easily one of the best characters in the game.

I don't want more characters. I won't have enough stuff to get them, their weapon, and their artifacts up to speed.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Andrast posted:

You want enough characters to form two teams for abyss at least

Not disagreeing, but what's the point of Spiral Abyss? The rewards don't seem to be worth the cost of maintaining two teams after floor 4.

Is it required for certain world levels or adventure's handbook chapters?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Andrast posted:

Wait, what?

I just ran past everyone in the first segment and in the second I skipped almost the whole thing by jumping off the platform. You're telling me there's actual mechanics there?

Same here. Timing and sprinting past people in plain sight in the first, creative climbing in the second. Got caught twice in each and learned to time/climb it better.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pro tip: join into co op domains as a claymore character so that if they afk and don't start the thing you can steal their world's crystals, white iron, and mushrooms on the houses.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You don't need to collect characters as badly as you will eventually need to upgrade weapons, artifacts, talents, and the money that costs.
Unless you really want to push Spiral Abyss for some reason.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The characters are also shallow anime tropes and mechanically interesting at best. :ssh:

If you're into the cute boys, girls that say a specific thing, or are very young, you do you. Lots of ways to get enjoyment out of the game along the ride to fun stuff and grinds.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

kater posted:

so how do you decide what to blow resin on if you are kinda miles away from upgrading. just go get xp/artifactxp?

Gold flowers for money. They are quick to bang out and it's one of the most likely walls to hit eventually.

If you're doing a lot of characters or plan to max your main squad, the blue flowers are good for a similar reason.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Archonex posted:

Also, also, I just discovered that a constellation'd Barbara turns Mona from a dumpster truck of gently caress you into an engine of destruction capable of one shotting entire groups of enemies even at AR 30

Thank you for the excellent advice. My current team for damage is Beidou/Mona/Barbara/Fischl and I'm having a blast. Mona and Beidou are the two characters I've been keeping current, stacked with elemental mastery and attack respectively. At AR28 I hit the achievement to crit for over 20k, and I'm still not sure how.

Generally strategy is to drop the bird and water trap first, start swinging with Beidou until they're lightninged, then spam or charge normal attacks as Mona for the reactions. Beidou and Mona have similar damage output and I'll swap for the counter or to drop another bird or trap.

Barbara is pretty much only for heals so far. I never got a single Thrilling Tales book, that would be a huge boost.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Don't build elemental mastery on characters that aren't electro at the moment. The electro reactions are the ones worth buffing since they do the most damage (particularly electro/pyro and electro/hydro; electro/cryo doesn't do a lot of damage but reduces physical resistance) but it's currently bugged so EM doesn't do anything to their damage if it's not on the electro user.

Wow first I've heard. What if I'm using the water attacks to trigger an electric reaction?

I'll try swapping Beidou's attack artifacts for Mona's EM ones and see what happens.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

No Wave posted:

In terms of tryhard tier lists and comps etc this is the best resource I've found:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9AspIkOTojlfMCg

quote:

NOTE: Electro-related reactions, especially electro-charged, are relatively bugged atm. For example, Electro-charged only benefits off the Elemental Mastery from the Electro unit, even if the Hydro unit triggers the reaction.

On the surface this answers my questions about my earlier setup about Beidou + Mona. The numbers in my basic tests seem to match.
Didn't see EM being bugged for everything but lightning.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

No Wave posted:

It is, you'll never pull two 5 star on the same banner without one of them being the banner unit.

In the thread we were talking about Elemental Mastery being bugged for everything except lightning - but I think what Heran Bago was saying was that it's only bugged when electro is involved, and in those cases only EM on electro applies (ie, agreeing with spreadsheet).

Yeah this is what I was getting at. In my case, EM should go on the electro guy, and water guy doesn't seem to benefit from EM, even if water guy is setting off the electro reaction.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My F2P luck is insane. Got the EXACT pull I needed.
The 3 star Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slaying. :toot:

TheFluff posted:

Philanemo mushrooms, though...
The roaming vendor girl sells 5 (daily?). But yeah ugh.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 21, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

At what point does all the min maxing, two teams, equipping the right characters for certain roles stuff actually matter? I just got WL1 and the game has not been difficult at all yet, even without really thinking much about who I'm using and how and what their equipment is. Is it just nerds trying to make biggest number or does the game actually become challenging at some point?

Just do what you find fun. If anything try to keep your resin from capping and do the purple 'daily commissions' quests.

There is not much point to min maxing, rolling new characters, and doing the spiral abyss outside of more rolling new characters and more spiral abyss. It's just the only thing to do after completing the existing quests and exploring. It's that or wait for new story content every few months, and it's not a yet game you can 'beat' for a long time if ever.

Two teams for spiral abyss is a big investment resource-wise, and the reward for it is more harder spiral abyss. If you love the combat and think several mins straight of hitting the same enemies sounds fun, or if you really want a specific character later on, yeah go for it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dear players that go afk and don't start or continue the domains in co op,

Thank you for the philaneo mushrooms, crystals, and white iron.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Game is starting to feel like a chore, but the story's interesting! And if the Honkai summaries here are anything to go by poo poo will go down eventually.

Interest will probably peter out soon, but I'll be happy to revisit it as they add land and story. Just wish there was something to do aside from spiral abyss and grinding characters/gear for it. It's not even that bad a grind.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Can someone suggest what I can do to beat Adventure Rank Ascencion I? I brought in Xiangliang at lvl 40, Barbara at lvl 31, Xingqiu at lvl 36 and Fischl at lvl 40 because the required elements are Fire and Water and Amber is lvl 20 though and I didn't want her to bring her since she's at a lower level even though she's part of the recommended elements for the quest.

Eat food to buff your Atk, def, and crit before entering. Health regen food may also help.

As others have said, check that your main damage dealer has their weapons and artifacts upgraded as much as possible.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

For lightning cube, non-elemental, lightning, and water damage won't finish it off.

Amber can 1-cycle that phase regardless of her level and the cube's.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Pulled my first 5 star artifact.

Good enough to start with?

It's pretty nice! Keep it but I wouldn't put much into leveling it. Defense is actually good for survivability and gladiator set is nice, but if you want to see the numbers get bigger you would be better served by a 4* equivalent with Atk as the main stat.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

How flexible is this game w/r/t character choice? Barbara doesn't seem like a "traditional" dps choice but I love everything about the character and I was thinking about pouring most of my resources into her once I got to AR 30+. Will this make the game slightly harder for me or nigh impossible?

To answer the first question, kind of. If you want to do all of the story missions as they come out, you will get by for sure.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really wish that targeting a boss in your journal to hunt down for parts updated with the next location of one rather than making me open the book and re-select them everytime...The leylines auto move why doesn't this!

Report this as a bug for free primogems. :ssh:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 4, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

UltraRed posted:

Trails In Tianqiu locks you out of Co-op until you complete it, and my only fire users are Amber and Xiangling who can't do enough fire damage to break the ice armor/auras, nevermind the lovely useless holds the enemies put you in. Can't abandon quests either.

This loving sucks rear end.

Grab some frogs and alchemy up flaming essential oil. Increases all party members' Pyro DMG by 25% for 300s. Maybe some food could help too idk.

Maybe a relevent talent upgrade or pyro dmg artifact sitting around.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 5, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kinda weird the game goes out of it's way to say how many characters can't drink alcohol.

Potable water in this kind of setting would be potentially dangerous, kids in the middle ages drank low% beer on the regular.

Also, it's weird.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Trihugger posted:

Was this true in China too? Half the game's setting is fantasy China.

I'm curious but can't find anything with a quick Google. In modern China it wouldn't be unheard of.

quote:

Among the 51 percent of those surveyed who said they have tried alcoholic beverages, 28 percent said they started drinking before they reached the age of 10.
China has not set a legal drinking age. Chinese society is also less aware of health issues caused by drinking than smoking. "In China, no one would stop a teenager from drinking at a restaurant,"
It's gotta be for the Japanese and Western fans.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

They have that it's just specifically people really like to get wasted here so it comes up alot. Also I'd imagine the literal water magic makes drinkable water less of a problem.

Yeah very true. People are using alcohol to get hosed up and cope with the terrors of the world.
And it's a fantasy world, it's entirely possible bacteria for things like typhoid and dysentery just never evolved. I wonder if we'll see farm animals in a future region.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ElMudo posted:

In case anyone is dumb like me, when the Electro Hypostasis does his lasers, you can just get close to the center to easily avoid them :sigh:

I was running all the way out of range.

When it does the bullet hell bit, you can stand on the bottoms of the pillars and avoid it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ooh 1.1 it's going to add a report function for co op. Goodbye domain hosting trolls and resource thieves.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

kater posted:

How they making a switch version if PS4 barely works.

By loving it up even worse.

It's also in unity iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Xun posted:

Actually should we update the OP with some starting guide stuff? I'd be happy to write it given some time (no promises on fancy banners or anything though lol)

Please do, there are so many guides and routes that I'd like to see in one place. Or just something more than the current OP for new players.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There are only 2 3* weapons that have some potential, the club (which will still lose out to a 4*) and Thrilling Tales which is fine for Barbara.

This weapon banner seems to suck badly unless you really want a carry bow for Childe
Genshin Impact - seems to suck

Thrilling Tales on constellation 2 Barbara is excellent if you're running a second hydro character.