Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Infinity Gaia posted:

There are some pretty cool and fun boss fights in this game and they're actually moderately challenging, which was very unexpected. I'm nearly done with cleanup in Mondstat and heading over to Liuyue fulltime and despite being all over that map multiple times I'm still somehow missing like 10 anemograms or whatever they're called. I'm almost tempted to use a map but at this point it'd be that annoying gameplay of checking everywhere there ever was one...

I've done a few of the elemental cube bosses and one giant plant boss and they were all really cool and well done. Good tells on the moves, enough move variety and interesting mechanics. Being way under level made it a good challenge but even if I had the math advantage I couldn't just sleepwalk the fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

After you do your two discount 10-rolls, I think the best strategy is to save up. They give you a pity 5-star after 90 rolls, so waiting until you have that saved up will guarantee you get the best long-term reward for your investment.

EDIT:
The giant ice flower world boss keeps kicking my rear end. I tried for the second time, and then I discovered Genshin Impact will actually stick you with an overeating penalty if you try to heal every hit by eating a bunch of low-value fruit. Cheesing fights like you could in Skyrim and BotW isn't quite so easy.

Yeah I'm glad it encourages you to cook good food. The ice flower guy puts up a lot of icy floor that does like 300 dps so you absolutely need an archer. Also dodge towards or away from him when he does the double laser.

That I could take down a level 36 boss with a level 20 party is very encouraging because it means you probably won't have to worry about power disparity between the star rankings of characters. Don't reroll for stats, reroll for waifu purposes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So a lot of the feel of breath of the wild is there. The large map, climbing and gliding, the fact that the world is just packed to bursting with little prizes for the taking

What you won't find is the puzzles and physics related emergent gameplay. Instead you get a game with faster paced combat based around swapping characters to combine spells (water + ice freezes enemies. Fire + electric makes them explode). It's got lots of free to play trappings of course, and mmo-style daily quests, achievements, and currencies while still being a single player game with optional co op.

It is absolutely its own game that draws heavily from BotW in several areas. Plus you don't have to deal with your weapons breaking all the time, and climbing in the rain doesn't make you slide down!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Sab Sabbington posted:

It's absurd to me that my girl Beidou doesn't get more love. Her parry just absolutely trivializes fights almost to the same level as Venti's burst.

I'm about to hit AR 29 and ranking up has slowed down a lot, unsurprisingly, but god drat this game continues to be extremely fun to play.

SAME. Although I'm only AR 26, but Beidou is a staple of my team. You basically have to have a greatsword user around for Geo based enemies and with healing already covered and lightning actually comboing things, she's a better choice than Noelle. It's also super great to block a couple attacks and then counter for 1k electro damage. Her parry does have a damage limit though, based on her max HP. Load her up with hp artifacts!

She's also a badass pirate lady which makes her the best character thematically.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I was wondering, how big is the game currently?

It's got 2 zones in the game so far with a plan of at least 7. In terms of scope each zone is like 4 or 5 radar towers and a major town, with like, 3-4 miniboss arenas and a handful of instanced dungeons. There's a good pile of quests and a zillion little things to find as you explore. I've probably put 35-40 hours in and I've bled the first zone pretty dry and am putting a heavy squeeze on zone 2's collectibles. I also have ignored much of the main quest after having wrapped up zone 1. Gotta get back to that.

Inevitably compared to Breath of the Wild it's quite a bit smaller currently but at it's planned maximum size I would bet it will be larger.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Squiddycat posted:

Paimon is cute as heck

At first I thought she was annoying with the speaking in the third person but she's grown on me. I still would have preferred a vocal main character. I know they would have had to do two sets of lines but there's already so much voice acting it seems like a poor excuse to do silent protagonist.

When you pick your party for abyss the traveler will speak a line and it's a little jarring because they didn't even give him or her idle chatter lines like Barbara humming that drat song every two minutes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Someone tell me how to not suck at Spiral Abyss, everything takes forever to die in there and I am bad

Is there somewhere I can just farm up exp scrolls?

Yeah the blue ley line flowers give exp books at the cost of 20 original resin. Also go hunting for chests, they always have either an xp book or a refinement ore.
Pick a team of four and get their levels and weapons to your current max. Weapons are the biggest increase in damage from levelling so focus on those if you're low on Mora. Don't forget you can merge duplicate weapons up to 4 times to boost their passives.

I have no experience with Ningguang or Sucrose but Traveler, Barbara, Fischl, Kaeya will be excellent. Summon Oz with Fischl, swap to Kaeya for a quick combo to lower defense (and pop his burst if it's up), then use Traveler for damage. Don't forget to open her constellations since the first one adds a wind attack to her final combo hit.

Don't bother using Palm Vortex on slimes since you basically always catch their element with Swirl and they're immune to it. Physical damage sucks at breaking the shields on Abyss Mages and Slimes, so swap and use skills repeatedly.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

CJ posted:

gently caress me, i decided to just level up Barbara because i need a healer no matter what, then did a couple of quests to get enough for another pull and got Qiqi the pull immediately after Venti. Two back to back 5*s off the pity timer is amazing luck but it's like it's taunting me into wasting resources.

Like it costs less to get someone to 40 than it does to go from 40 to 50. Weapons and artifacts can be swapped or recycled to reclaim most of the xp that went into them. Don't worry about wasting resources, even on what you might consider a weaker character. Eventually you'll have way more constellations for the 4 stars and that may make some of them more valuable than a single pull 5 star.

I just got another Beidou and her burst now leaves a 15 second shield so she's the best waifu AND tank.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Like some people are completely ridiculous but given there is no practical difference between who you have active when you're exploring, I do it with Beidou cause she got the biggest anime tiddies.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
But like, if you increase the rate of one character you have to decrease the rate of the others? Right? Math?

Like I've been doing regular banner pulls because I already have 2x barbara and xiangling and 3x fischl and I need more bodies for that two team abyss thing.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Vastakaiun posted:

I didn't know true frustration before trying to fight the Oceanid with Chongyun and it threw two crabs and three birds at me simultaneously. Fuckers are impossible to hit.

Sorry Barbara, I guess you're not getting that ascension after all.

So bring Lisa or (I know, I know) Amber. Shield up with Noelle then swap to someone with ranged to kill the birds. I've managed to beat that boss a couple times when I completely forgot to bring a bow user or a non-water caster. It's extra fun when you can't even heal with Barbara's attacks (though the regen works), and you have no ranged so you have to chip away at the birds with Palm Vortex.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

jean is a great unit but i hate how about half the elements in the game are straight up immune to anemo.

fire nulls fire. thunder nulls thunder. earth nulls earth. wind nulls wind. that makes sense! water and ice null both themselves, and wind. stupidest loving poo poo i've ever seen

It's really only slimes that are immune to their element, and the immunities you're seeing are because Anemo picks up any element the enemy is tagged with and does a Swirl, adding bonus damage of the tagged element and applying it in an area. If you Anemo a Cryo slime it's going to swirl the Cryo and the slime is obviously immune. Regular elemental enemies like agents or cicin mages are not immune to their own elements. The only thing straight up immune to Anemo damage are Anemo slimes since that's on-brand for them.

It DOES kind of suck when trying to deal with domains that just throw giant slime after giant slime at you. I farmed one of the forgery domains 4 times this morning and it was 9 giant Electro slimes and one mage at the end and it's was a SLOG. Electro-charge is useless, Swirl is useless, and the domain constantly saps your energy so it's basically impossible to use anyone's Burst. UGH.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

actually you know why i keep her in my party is for the 20% gliding stamina reduction lol

How can you possibly run out of stamina while gliding except that one island that's super far away? I think maybe I can run down my stamina if I start on the floating island above that one mountain and just go as far as I can, but that's pointless given how many teleport nodes there are.

What I'm saying is bench the poor girl, she's an explorer not a fighter.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Tabletops posted:

i was hoping you could buy the prototype for the spear from the artisan vendor lady in liyue. she doesn't have one?

The Geo Sigil trading lady in Liyue has a prototype spear for sale. Any other copies you want you get two rolls a week at Stormterror/Wolfbossguy.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Aquila posted:

I just realized the Stormterror fight has nine accessible platforms. Once the floor becomes lava on the one you're on you need to float to the nearest one that isn't.

Yeah but if you don't do enough damage during each stun phase eventually all the platforms become lava. You can still activate the wind boost by collecting the anemograms so you can avoid some of it, but it definitely puts a mild dps check on the fight.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

inthesto posted:

What is CBT because in this context it's probably neither cognitive behavioral therapy nor cock and ball torture

Closed beta test? But I like yours better.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So I just hit AR35 and world level 4 and I'm off to spend one of the depths keys in Liuye and this fuckin' beach just has three Ruin Guards in one spot guarding a chest. Holy poo poo that was the closest I've ever come to wiping in this game. Oh and a fourth one pathed in after I took one out so it was like a 7 minute fight. There was even a fifth robot rear end in a top hat walking around nearby but he kept his longass arms to himself.

One of those guys is a chump but with three it's like one is always either spinning and locking you against terrain or firing missiles or jumping on your head. Thankfully I was running Geo Traveler and I set up a bunch of rocks to block missiles and split up the robots, plus Barbara mostly kept everyone alive. I was also randomly running Kaeya after doing the slime balloon daily so he actually pulled his weight with freezes despite only being level 50 with poo poo artifacts. Even if I brought an archer I doubt I could have ever gotten off the two charged shots to stun them.

It was thrilling and intense and I actually had to use food. I want more insane fights like that because when it's challenging the combat in this game is actually really really good.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
How to use Fischl : swap, make bird, swap back. When bird is gone, swap, turn into bird which also makes bird, swap back. Repeat.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Saw that in theaters for Rifftrax Live and it was perfection. I only wish Oz was as great as those birds.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Avynte posted:

i've been following this guide when i feel like doing some mob routes

This is cool except for some reason all my characters and weapons need treasure hunter drops and those guys are the only thing missing from the map.

Like hillichurls are so common are there actually people who need to deliberately grind them for materials?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

TheFluff posted:

Maintenance tomorrow 07:00-11:00 Chinese time, click here to figure out what that is in your local time. You get 240 primogems for the trouble :toot:

The map lists high end enemies that potentially drop artifacts only. Or at least it says so on it.

So it does! Still want a map with their spawns!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Squiddycat posted:

I honestly would love for the game systems to just chill out a bit. I love exploring the world and messing around with all of my characters, especially any new ones I pull, but the further in the game I progress the more technically impossible this becomes.

I just pulled Xingqiu last night and I love him and want to use him but trying to level him, his artifacts, and a weapon for him up at this point (AR32 WL3) from 1 to 60 would probably feel worse than pulling teeth.

This is my main complaint.

Get new people up to like 40, give them someone else's weapon and artifacts. That's enough power to make them not trash even at WL3 and then you can at least get a feel for them.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Beidou's final talent is kinda neat. If you max damage counterattack her charge attack preps and attacks faster and resists interrupt. Currently working on her gear to see if it makes her a good dps.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Squiddycat posted:

Better yet, what's the point of the traveler at all? She's a pretty bad character in geo and anemo alike.

I mean I like her and it's a shame, but buffs pls

Traveler gets a free elemental hit on the final hit of her combo in both elements (geo gets it late). The cooldown on Starfall Sword is like 6 seconds and makes certain enemies trivial by blocking their line of effect (it can also trap them on top and reset them so that does suck). Her Bursts in both elements are fantastic for different reasons. Anemo burst sweeps up small enemies and swirls the poo poo out of them. It's easy to grab 4 dudes and lock them up for 10 seconds while they just melt. Geo Burst hits like 4 times and only requires 60 energy so it's up constantly. It's excellent damage. Traveller isn't super flashy but is just solid and useful in both elements.

She's also technically a 5-star so her scaling is better. There's also the side benefit of when the new zones come out and you can swap to more elements she will be able to fill elemental gaps in a team comp without having to invest yet another character. That's kind of a big deal with the amount of investment it takes to get someone past 60.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Aisu posted:

I honestly love the level of thought put into this game, and how much honest 'joy of discovery' stuff there is. Today I saw a ship in the distance, flew to it to check it out, and then got berated for landing on a random ship just because I was curious. I don't know why, but the little touches like that and the fact that like every climbable mountain or suspicious crevice actually has some cool thing in it is just... fantastic.

Also, sorry to join in the teambuilding advice train, but today I got Razor, and I'm not sure how to slot him in to my (overworld/main) party. I've been running Xiangling, Fischl, Venti, and Barbara, and if I try to swap Barbara out I find myself very quickly missing food-free healing. I want Razor on the team, because God Overload spam is nice, but I love everyone too much to give them up.

The best part about that ship is that Beidou is the captain! Like there's nothing guiding you there but they just took the character's lore and stuck it in the world for you to find.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Substandard posted:

Beidou's ultimate persists through character changes though so you can use her as a support to get a crap ton of overload reactions or whatever if you want, which is kind of nice. She's obviously no Fischl though.

Beidou is also great as spike damage and to actually tank things. I've got her at 62 with a lvl 70 fully fused Debate Club and her counter attack hits for 5k at max damage. I then swing once to do 2 700 damage hits and swap back to Xiangling for dps.

She gets even better if you use charge attacks with your main dps because instead of spending stamina on avoidance you just tank and punish.

I like her better than Fischl because the bird is out of your control and you have to swap back to reposition. Using her burst to refresh the bird also makes you waste two seconds flying around like a doofus. Much happier getting a 2.5k hp shield and 15 extra electro hits from Beidou's burst.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Sweet I hit 40 on the battlepass. Wonder what my last basic wish was. Oh Xingqiu, okay so expect a 3-star weapon. Another Xingqiu, neat.

Up to C3 with pretty boy expedition fodder. And he's on the current banner, too uuugh.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Never spend primogems on the standard banner. That's basic gacha game lesson one. Never spend your premium currency on the standard banner.

But as it stands the regular rear end blue orbs don't seem to have any use but the standard banner.

Yeah you're going to get 5 a month from stardust and 5 from battle pass, but I wouldn't spend any primo on blue fates.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

FauxLeather posted:

Drew Klee in an attempt to repent for pulling her and not having enough resources to bring her up to speed with the rest of my party. At this point I'm just pulling for constellations, I don't have the time or mental capacity to want to keep any more than four characters on point, especially as the world rank keeps going up. Which is sad! Demoralizing!!!

I'm the last person who should be critical of art because it's super good but it definitely looks like her head is on backwards. The perspective makes it look like both her arms and legs are held behind her, maybe cause there aren't a ton of contour lines. Adorable and also probably on brand for red burny girl.

Also gently caress it dude. Give her someone else's weapons and artifacts and you've got 80% of the power you need there. My Klee is level 43 with a lvl 60 crafted catalyst and fits just fine in my party. I didn't even give her stolen artifacts.Like even with poo poo stats If you back a dude against a wall and get triple hits with two jumpy dumpties it's good damage. Very excited to see how she fares as a primary dps 2-3 weeks from now.

It is also now shockingly easy to get the 100 Mondstadt specialties for the battle pass. I never knew how much lamp grass there was just lying around.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

FauxLeather posted:

You're a hundred percent right :ohdear: I'll try not to jack this up in the future, every drawing is a learning experience.
As is the rest of this post, I'll use this Mondstadt specialties challenge to finally get her off the back burner. She's fun!

Only thing I don't like about Klee is she feels very heavy-footed. Like with Barbara, as the only other catalyst character I use, I can dash around out of any part of her combo but with Klee I feel like I'm stuck in place and I can't swap or dash. Which results in the poor girl getting absolutely bodied by a giant hillichurl on a regular basis.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

While trying to find crystal shards for Crescent Pike around Stormbringer's lair, I found a podium that needed an wind element to trigger the mechanism. Of course, I have already switched to Geo MC and have no other wind characters in my party. lol.

Put a pin in the map and name it "Need Anemo" or something. I have a couple of those hanging around on my map that I'll definitely eventually remember to activate and not bump into them again, go to put a pin on the map and discover that it's already there. Yup.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So that artifact looting route posted a couple pages back is really great. Guaranteed exp for time invested, each spot gives 100-300 mora to offset the cost of investing artifacts, and there's plenty of monsters on the route for extra loot. Finally got this up to 20 and while it would obviously be better with crit dmg and maybe recharge it's still my best artifact by a long shot.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

I like how the girl with seemingly no special powers always says "Thanks, I'll try that!" after you demolish the training dummies by summoning a tornado, giant fire bird, or w/e.

"So what you're going to want to do is soften up each training dummy, get a couple good whacks on each so they are all about to fall apart. Then stand in the center of the ring, tap into the magical focus of your naturally god-granted powers, and wrap yourself in a barrier made of pure lightning. Just spin your sixty pound solid steel club in a perfect circle while balancing on one foot and moving the condensed electrical energy from the barrier to the club, taking down all the dummies in one hit. Simple!"

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Are Oceanid eagles as big a gently caress you as they seem, or is there a trick to dealing with them easily besides bringing Lisa? I just did a fight where they spawned twice, and it was frustrating to say the least.

And am I missing something else, or are some of those attacks straight up unavoidable? Except I suppose by using a burst for invuln frames.

My first party was or ever was because I got 3 consecutive sets of eagles and I brought mostly underlevelled people plus Barbara who can't hurt them. Then I used the same party saw no eagles and just cleaned up.

Three fuckin birds you have no opportunity to strike back since they space their attacks perfectly.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I mean the balloon thing isn't hard? Maybe people just don't have gear/levels to keep up with WL but at WL4 I pop the thing before it gets over the bridge on one of the tracks. I can see it taking way longer if you don't have maxed out weapons and levelled 4* atk% artifacts I guess?

Just use Xiangling and do a charge attack instead of her final hit and you stick to the balloon and tear it apart.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

funkymonks posted:

I'm with you. I can't complain but I super lucked out recently and just cannot use all these characters. I really wish there was a path to level up without books even if it was slower. If I could temporarily lower world level and actually earn xp killing things with lowbies I'd just go gently caress around because game is fun.

I mean technically every member in your party gets kill xp. The issue is that a normal monster is like 16 xp so even if you sum that up a single shittiest book is like 15 monsters worth of xp, spread across 4 characters, minus anyone who is waiting to ascend getting no xp.

I wouldn't be surprised if every monster on the entire map is less xp than a single leyline.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Noticed I was at 72 rolls on the basic banner so I went against advice and spent some gems on a couple wishes. Hello Wolf's Gravestone! I'm not even mad that you're not a character!

Of course the ascension material is on the wednesday/saturday dungeon so I have to sit on this beautiful level 40 sword for a couple more days.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Some of the guys have pretty big heels. Looking at you, Xingqiu

Everyone has heels to some degree. Kaeya has some heels, Xingqiu has heels. Everyone wants to be as tall as Barbara's big sister!

On the top of um, legs, I find it incredibly cool that when you stand your character on uneven terrain, like a hill, stairs, or rubble, they actually bend their leg to rest their foot on the higher terrain instead of just standing tall and clipping through or standing on air with the other foot. It makes for incredibly cool screenshots and really breathes even more life into the characters.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

padijun posted:

trust no one, not even yourself

Wait a minute, it's all Mondstadt?

Always has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah I gave up on using Klee as main dps because she just feels so awkward to use.

Honestly kinda mad at how good crescent spear is, because I got a wolf's gravestone for Beidou and I'm still not sure it's better damage than stabby cooky girl.

Feels good to slam 10k tidecaller crits though.