Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

gay for gacha posted:

What is the most efficient spending strategy for this game to maximize rewards?

After you do your two discount 10-rolls, I think the best strategy is to save up. They give you a pity 5-star after 90 rolls, so waiting until you have that saved up will guarantee you get the best long-term reward for your investment.

EDIT:
The giant ice flower world boss keeps kicking my rear end. I tried for the second time, and then I discovered Genshin Impact will actually stick you with an overeating penalty if you try to heal every hit by eating a bunch of low-value fruit. Cheesing fights like you could in Skyrim and BotW isn't quite so easy.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I've run into a fair number of environmental puzzles, but it's generally a bit more artificial than Breath of the Wild. Light the torches, chase the glowing lights, there were even some treasure chests that popped up when I inspected oddly placed holes and fruit.

The shrine-equivalents also have treasure hidden in out of the way spots you can find if you get creative with wind currents and smashing suspicious walls.

Altogether, Nintendo does better environmental puzzles and physics, but I am still really enjoying traversal and exploration. I am constantly finding that my curiosity about the world gets rewarded, and I never get the frustration I had in BotW when a treasure wasn't very useful because this game has tons of money sinks where you can channel those resources.

Overall, I am having more fun with the combat against high-end Genshin Impact enemies than I did against Lynels/Talus, and that's pretty nice! Some of the ninjas, mages, and ancient robots in the second zone really up the challenge with more than just big numbers. Sidequest writing is also more interesting, there's some spooky out of the way spots in Liyue that turned out way more engaging than I initially expected.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Lmao there's a quest you get from Timmy where he asks you to feed the ducks by the pond to keep them away from the pigeons and he gets REALLY sad if you kill the ducks for their meat

Oh snap! It actually reacts if you do that? Amazing. I may have been a little underwhelmed by the finale of the Monstadt main story, but the side quest writing has been great. Fun character banter, and a surprising amount of reactivity to player expression.

Amppelix posted:

this is at least slightly untrue because i've encountered exactly one puzzle where you need to have geo traveler and access to wind at the same time, which is impossible without pulling some wind

there's probably a few more of that kind of stuff!

Keqing has been a godsend for exploration and puzzles because of her lightning dash. You can just designate a spot a little way up in the air, teleport-slash to it a moment later, and then glide down. It lets me climb up surfaces way more easily, get a boost to access element-orbs without engaging with the expected route (I explored most of Liyue before I bothered switching elements, and I think she let me get at least 20 or so orbs I would have needed Geo boosts for otherwise) and you can even use it to leap the fence when the big lightning elemental boss tries to cage you into a death zone.

It's really quite impressive how the Genshin team have created characters who can make such a huge difference in how you engage with content. I've played Granblue for a year or so, and I never felt this way about unlocking a new character in that.

Now that I've activated Geo magic, my initial impressions are pretty positive. The rocks don't hit as hard, but the battlefield control is kinda nice. And allegedly it's easier to buy your way into constellation unlocks in the second city...

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

I'm interested in knowing what language people are playing in. I would guess most people would choose Japanese or English, but this is my first time playing something that has a native Chinese dub and I wanted to hear what that sounded like.

I'm sticking with English, and I have noted that the spoken dialogue is often significantly different than the translated text. Paimon gets some jokes that do not show up in the subtitles.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I decided to skim the Genshin Impact reddit

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Avynte posted:

good ability call, i kept trying to fly out from the big cliff and figured i just didn't have enough stamina to make it the whole way.

I believe you can eat stamina recovery food while you are swimming, but you're still in big trouble if you get the overeating penalty and get blocked from using any more food for a while. The ice bridge is a more reliable water transit option, especially if you pulled a second ice unit so you can rotate back and forth to travel faster

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Danann posted:

Anemo MC can spread the ice with their elemental attack. That's how I got there with only Kaeya.

Nice! I didn't think of that. Air to spread the ice means I effectively three people who can contribute to crossing... Thanks, I'll give it a shot after work and see if I can make it there.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Another surprisingly well-written sidequest. It's the hide-and-seek quest in the mountains near Liyue Harbor.

The time limits that warp you back for a hint keep it from getting frustrating, the environmental storytelling is pretty good, and they stretch it out juuuuust long enough for you to speculate.

EDIT: From a worldbuilding perspective, also does a good job of establishing that this is a world that has a lot of people trying to do good stuff. The guards doing their best looking after the kid of the two veterans that died does a lot to humanize them.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 4, 2020

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Hot tip for floor 3 of Abyss if you're trying to get the free character.

Knock them off the stage. Regular sword attack's hold version does big knock back. Bait them with Amber's taunt doll.

That can definitely be a game changer. Kinda useful in the open world too, though falling damage rarely kills a monster you'd be surprised how easy it is to drown some enemies by knocking them in deep enough water.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Joink posted:

I've played Gacha for a few years now, never thought twice about rerolling. A main draw to these games is the ongoing addons, patches enchantments etc. to keep you playing. Along that is MASSIVE power creep on characters. My advice is just play the game if you enjoy it. I assure you a year from know nobody will be wanting to summon any character in the game right now due to power creep of new units. The game right now is not difficult or gated behind the better characters. Nothing in the game needs units beyond what is given for free.

Yeah, right now I'm leaning towards not doing any rolls until the next banner. My philosophy is never to roll unless I have enough stockpiled resources to guarantee the pity 5-star will show up before I run out.

Venti is mechanically pretty cool, but I'm not interested in the character. He was a little bit obnoxious in story, and if he trivializes puzzles even more than the lightning dash lady that might make exploration less fun. I'd probably be more interested in getting extra Fischl copies for constellation unlocks.

On the other hand, the rock-element guy most likely coming up next looks VERY stylish, and if there's a special halloween/christmas event it might be worth having wish currency stockpiled then.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Ougher posted:

I know a lot of you probably don't care for youtubers, but this guy played in the chinese betas, and all of his advice so far has been solid for me. His guide videos aren't TOO long, none of this 30 minute rambling stuff. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp76b_m_wL_Mb5SFuDQlUsg

Is there a single video you'd recommend in particular? Zeals was recommended in the past, and I definitely appreciated their Spiral Abyss free unit guide. I see there's something about getting 5 star artifacts early, and that definitely seems like it might be worth checking out after work.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I've been acquiring "reliquary" items you can use up to get artifacts. Should I open them right away, or is there a reason to save them up unopened?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I cant get my PC to take a screenshot for the life of me but the “quest” to come up here was cool as gently caress.

Edit: Figured out alt shift S

That was definitely a fun one. Personally, I just discovered a pretty neat fetch quest that triggers if you board a lone ship in the southeast islands of Liyue. Sadly, screenshots are harder to share on PS4

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

It's very interesting that the pity counter for limited banners carries over. I'm not particularly interested in Venti, but perhaps it would be worth rolling on Venti long enough to benefit from the rate up on Barbara and Fischl? (My core team uses them, Traveler, and Keching.)

All three of the four stars are free, so that means you are basically guaranteed to get constellation bonuses on them with only a few 10 rolls. As long as I don't have the "bad luck" to roll a 5-star early, I'll still be closer to drawing a more enticing character on the next limited banner.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

YES bread posted:

wild, running around town with Morax while he plans his own funeral and wastes all the Fatui's money was hilarious to me

Yeah, I just finished and it was absolutely glorious. You really get a feel for the culture, and also how intimately he appreciates Liyue. All the examination of different artistic traditions and mythology references did a lot to flesh things out.

I'm not sure I grasp the whole scope of the epic prank getting played on the Fatui. Is Morax planning to disappear after this, or reveal himself after the Fatui play their hand too hard trying to harvest an hourglass out of Decoy Dragon? Hopefully we'll learn a bit more of what's really going on at the Jade Chamber.

Quest ended up taking hours even though I fully explored the region before I started it, but I still don't feel like it was wasted time. I don't feel like a stranger in Liyue anymore, and that honestly feels pretty impressive.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I've been upgrading the PS4 preorder weapon (Sword of Descension) + a prototype sword, and I think their models are changing. The Sword of Descension is getting darker, and the blue glowy parts are brighter. I'm less sure of the prototype sword, but it definitely feels different. Does this happen for all weapon ascensions? Is there someplace you can look to compare how weapons look at different stages?

I also noticed that weapons have a backstory page, which is pretty sweet. I loved the weapon stories in Drakengard.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 9, 2020

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Archonex posted:

I can try to type up a brief synopsis to describe the plotline of the three prior games and the ways they're tied to Genshin Impact. But it'll only be brief if you were to take into account the sheer size of that page on the villains wiki. It's still going to be a mega-post at the very least.

I'm definitely intrigued. The readable books were a hint that this company seemed pretty into developing The Lore, but I didn't realize the waters ran THIS deep. Maybe there's more than one reason Venti was so hands-off with this "god" business.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

The Diluc sidequest gets awfully cavalier about torturing that bunny mage for information. Especially if you get that other sidequest from the library girl Ella, which shows that some of the bokoblins are actually pretty chill. You're basically cheering Diluc on as he burns someone while they beg him to stop.

It doesn't seem implausible that the Abyss Order's coalition might have some legitimate grievances against the big city that keeps sending out raiders to disperse their camps and take their stuff. Of course, Archonex's loredump posts (thanks!) might give us a Houkai-based reason that it's okay to wipe them out, but I'm a little worried at the potential subtext.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Pro tip for people who don't have a good greatsword person in their main party. Plunging attacks make mining WAY faster. About as effective as a Geo Traveler's boulder attack, and without the finicky unreliable aiming or the cooldown. Two close-in plunging attacks and a couple of sword waggles is enough to break crystal ore open. You might be able to hit multiple nodes in the burst if you center between them, too.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

buglord posted:

Couple Qs:

How good of a podcast game is this? From what ive read, there's some exploration, light puzzles, pretty fun things to do while zoning out.

Is this game still fun when not spending money? The only times I ever shell out in F2P games are for like "memberships" where you play some cheap flat monthly fee for baseline benefits (like World of Tanks premium). From what ive read ITT, this game has it, but it's apparently not great. And a lot of this game is focused around buying keys to open chest (which seems much less healthy for my wallet).

I had a lot of fun with podcasts during the exploration components. Most of the main story content tempted me to turn the podcasts off, but once you get into chest and elemental orb hunting it's a really solid chill-out gameplay loop. I usually have the game audio playing on a plug-in speaker, so I can still appreciate the music but it doesn't overwhelm whatever's playing on my phone.

EDIT: As for the fun-without-money, I'd say that it works pretty well for me. I paid for the PS4 preorder and the month of login bonuses, but it hasn't substantially changed the way I engage with the game. I usually save up and do a bunch of rolls at once in games like this, so the only real difference is that I'll do that a few weeks earlier. I didn't touch Spiral Abyss, and that's the only real challenge that might ask for serious optimization.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 12, 2020

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

buglord posted:

I guess what i mean to say is, how much of the game's appeal is centered around paying money at some point to get a dice roll for an item, and can the game still be enjoyed without the ability to do that as much (because im assuming the game does give you some naturally over time).

Very little? Honestly, if you roll a bunch of cool characters and try to level up more than 2 or 3 of them at the same time you are gonna end up struggling to keep up with enemy scaling for a decently long while. I'd rather have a maxed out main character and Amber using the free 4-star weapons the story gives you than a bunch of 5-star rares who are 20-30 levels behind the curve.

A lot of the Resin griping might be coming from people who paid to unlock characters, but might need to spend weeks before they can afford to make those characters combat viable. Not to say I wouldn't probably like the game better without the Resin gating, but from what I can see spending money on dice rolls is more of a luxury than a necessity unless you really want to rush the endgame super dungeon.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

C6 will always be insane but that's pretty far fetched for a F2P account. Now, C2 Fishl, that's doable and a MASSIVE DPS boost

I'm not sure how the C2 ability works for her.... is it just a single AoE damage when you first summon?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Avynte posted:

spend your money where you want, but give this a watch first and don't skip the remarks in the first 30 seconds lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZITrKvylwg

https://twitter.com/scienceshitpost/status/1315799413260914688

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I tried to do the mini-dungeon challenge in the middle of Luhua Pool with the 3 guardian golems and got my face melted off. Goddamn those things hurt.

I really want the loot but uh I guess I'll come back later. 8'D

If you run to the stone island, you can split them up. That makes for a much easier fight.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"A bit of a pain" is an understatement... the rock drop is on a 5s cooldown and it takes two of them to bust each rock. But if you place the first one wrong, it'll block you off from the rock you were trying to mine and then you have to wait for it to despawn before you can finish breaking it!
I tried doing that once or twice when I already had geo traveler out for whatever reason and didn't want to swap in a greatsword character, but I don't think I every will again.

You can mine just fine with a 1H sword if you use plunging attacks. When I discovered that, it was quite a relief, because I'd been dealing with the pain of geo traveler mining for quite a while.

Basically every mining spot has terrain irregularities, all you need to do is jump from a foot or so higher and hit the attack button. The shockwave is capable of hitting multiple ore nodes, I think it might actually be faster than greatsword mining.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Magus42 posted:

Did/do you not have Noelle? Or is she just always on expeditions? :)

I have Noelle. But I play on PS4, so switching from my primary party to my secondary party takes obnoxiously long. And mining with plunge attacks seems both more satisfying and possibly quicker. For reference:

Primary Team (thunder focus)
- Keqing (DPS, using Gladiator set for high reliable phys damage via charge attack. Going to give her the Black Sword for self healing, currently uses Prototype sword)
- Fischl (sometimes swapped for Xiangling against thunder enemies)
- Barbara (healer, though I might swap her into a water-focused team later for her buff. I hear Ningguang is a decent Prototype healer choice)
- Venti (I need to use him more, right now he's mainly a mobility booster. Great for cheesing bosses by floating out of attacks)

Secondary Team (misc puzzle solving tools)
- Geo Traveler (Best Geo cooldown of my current roster)
- Chongyun (handy for mage shield breaking, used him to mine before I figured out plunge attacks)
- Amber (great for puzzles, I always want an archer)
- Mona (she seems weak, and I have trouble figuring out how to use her, but that sprint is excellent and I hear she has great potential alongside Barbara)

I technically have a C1 Razor, but I haven't boosted him since there are two higher priority thunder units.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

berenzen posted:

It'a the entire reason why anemo units are in every comp basically, because it's a stupidly good set bonus. Like, you just run 4 pieces on venti regardless of other stats because the entire point is to trigger swirl, then abuse the res down. It works on elemental reactions too, so you get massive overload procs on fire/electric comps

What's the best way to trigger a Lightning swirl with Venti if I'm using Fischl and Keqing? I tried summoning the lightning bird near his wind vortex, but I didn't see it change color.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I'm midway through level 9 on the statues in both regions, but tracking down the last few orbs is going to be enough of a pain that I'm probably just going to wait for the compasses to show up in November. Still, the map people are using might be VERY handy once the next region unlocks.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

The Gladiator set boosts melee damage with Normal Attacks. Does that also apply to Charged Attacks? I use Keqing's charged sword attack quite a bit to pile on the damage, but I'm a little concerned after seeing so many other sets calling out charged attacks specifically. Unfortunately I am building her for crits, so it's a little tricky measuring my output.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I was not expecting him to be a doomsday prepper.

When I asked him to explain his business model after handing over my 10 mushrooms, he said that he got a hot tip that there's a GREAT CALAMITY approaching, so he's dumping all his treasure to pick up basic staples and possibly make a fortune later price-gouging on food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Bland posted:

I've gotten to 50 with over 2 weeks to spare without buying the chorus so this is a little hyperbolic. I will admit I've played the game a lot though.

Same here, I'm on track to go from 47 to 50 before the end of the BP period, but I probably play like an hour of Genshin a day and I am very mindful of hitting my daily/weekly goals.

Funnily enough, I'll probably have a few days where I feel kind of lost without BP boxes to check off. Then again, there's always a use for extra Mora, and it might be a decent time to make sure I've got the resources to advance a second main for Spiral Abyss. Hard to run out of stuff to do in this game.