Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My rolls have been absolute dog poo poo with multiple dupes of Noelle, Xianling and Barbara (who are all guaranteed/available for free from events atm), but I haven't felt underpowered or gimped at all.

The rates might be garbage but so far it seems like rare characters are not super important. Most other games' gacha systems are attached to gameplay that is some flavor of turn based JRPG, where everything is just an elaborate game of Risk where you need the higher numbers from your SSR waifus in order to beat things. So far at least in Genshin, because it's an actual action game it feels like you have much more room to just play smart and be successful.

Most people say Amber is at the bottom of poo poo-tier for example, but I have used her a ton and she's been great. Being a bow is inherently useful for puzzles and nailing bosses in weakspots while kiting, and she is excellent at opening up fights by throwing out the taunt-bomb and doing a charge attack or hitting an explosive barrel to get pyro going, before switching to someone else who can start causing pyro reactions. In any more traditional gacha game she'd be a three star garbage character that gets immediately benched because her stats would be deliberately made awful and that would be all that mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

fadam posted:

poggers

Is it worth running two wind guys on a team? I want to use these gucci 5-stars I ripped but idk what makes a good team comp. I was thinking Fish/Jean/Venti/Fire Spear lady

On the party build screen in the top right there is a button to show "elemental affinity" or something-- basically you get various buffs based on which elements you put in a party if you have two or more. The bonus for having two wind characters is something like bonus movespeed/stamina/skill cooldown, which seems pretty good!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If the patch notes about changing the pity timer to 50 rolls instead of 90 are true, I'm already at 40 rolls on the venti banner with nothing to show, so It seems like the smart move is to hold out for a bit and hope the patch comes within 17 days.

One sort of tucked away thing some people may not know-- the "masterless starglitter" and "masterless stardust" can be exchanged in the Shop under paimon's bargains for more wishes among other things. You get glitter for dupe characters and (sometimes?)dust for 3* weapon pulls. The stock refreshes monthly and I exchanged my dust for another ~15 wishes.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The 5* rates are 0.6% per roll, and I believe that includes weapons, so I've heard it's actually 0.3% for characters.

Getting two in one reroll is incredible, just play already!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If those translated notes are accurate it looks like I might be able to just get a guaranteed Venti on my next pull if I wait for the patch. Making every 10-roll guarantee you get to pick any 4* of your choice seems like a great change.

I wonder how the pity credit will work on the standard banner since it never expires

Regarding constellations: I don't know anything about Mihoyo, but in a lot of other gacha games they eventually add systems to let you have generic upgrader items that act as a dupe of any character you apply them to, or some kind of exchange shop to get the item you need for uncapping. Given how insane the current proposition is for full constellations on 5* characters, I wouldn't be surprised to see something.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 1, 2020

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If it's the one that I'm thinking of, you can climb up onto the balcony at the front door, and onto the roof from there.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

al-azad posted:

Is there a breakdown of all the different currencies in this game. Primogems seem to be a generic currency that can be traded up and I guess crystals are purchased through real money exclusively(?) but then there’s like two separate currencies for wishes, stardust, some other crap?

Just have one currency gacha games goddamn!

There are two types of wishes (tickets for pulling), one for limited banners like Venti, and one for the generic pool. The generic wishes seem to be more plentiful from event and milestone rewards, so I'd recommend only exchanging primogems for limited wishes and just pulling on the standard banner when you accumulate 10 wishes naturally.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I think I have to not play with english VO anymore now that I have Qiqi. She has a couple "exertion" voice lines that play regularly while running/jumping that just straight up sound like they're from a hentai dub. The other asian language VO doesn't seem to share this quality.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
After getting Barbara and Xiangling both four times, with no Fischls, I did one more pull on the Venti banner and got just a 4* weapon for my trouble.

Think I'm just gonna save currency for the next banner, this one is absolutely cursed.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Has anyone looked closely enough at character stats to tell if +elemental damage % stacks either additively or multiplicatively with your attack score?

More pointedly, would a character that does pure elemental damage like Lisa benefit more from a +Electro % artifact over an equivalent +Attack % artifact?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Tamba posted:

I don't think Elemental affects their regular attacks, only the elemental reactions.

And the increase to those percentages seems to be linear, as far as I can tell

I'm talking about specific elemental damage mods(i.e. "Electro DMG Bonus %"), not elemental mastery. Scroll further down the details screen.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I found a combat trial where I could try some simple testing against the same enemies.

I compared these two goblets(the most similar I could find) on Lisa, who hits for pure Electro damage:

With the ATK% goblet she had 493 raw Attack and hit for 91 on the first swing of the basic attack, and 185 with a lightning ball skill.
With the Electro % goblet she had 466 raw Attack and hit for 95 basic, 192 with skill.

Seems like element % damage is better than ATK%, point for point, on characters who don't rely on white damage.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 4, 2020

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If you're okay with abandoning your AR12 progress, getting Diluc or any 5* is a big deal and probably justifiable to switch accounts for him alone. You are guaranteed to get Barbara and Xianling back for free from Event rewards once you hit AR20 as well.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
It seems pretty inevitable that future expansions will come in the form of additional world regions to explore-- the form of this content is pretty well established with Monstadt and Liyue.

I'm actually much more curious about what they'll do for regular events. They can't just add a new zone to the game every month, and the "dungeons" such as they are right now are not really engaging enough to do traditional gacha style "event" content with, so I'm curious what kind of content they'll layer on top of the world that already exists to keep things interesting.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

gandlethorpe posted:

What does the icon next to Mona's element symbol mean?

It's her hat!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What is a good support team for Chongyun? I typically start with Barbara to get all my enemies Wet and then go ham with him. Is that the way to go? I know I could weave in Amber after that to get Melt going but it doesn't seem as valuable as just.... auto-attacking the frozen enemies with Chongyun.

IMO getting damage procs is better than a CC for most fights, especially easy content where you just want to burn things down as fast as you can. For that you want to set up Pyro or Electro. Xianling is probably better than Amber for setting up Pyro generally because her skill is very "fire and forget" and reapplies status several times, while Amber requires more work to regularly apply Pyro (though if you have her Burst ready, you can combine it with another elemental source that rapidly reapplies to chain a bunch of reactions for big damage). Your free Electro option is Lisa, though probably any of the gacha Electro characters are better than her. Her Burst is similar to Amber in that it rapidly reapplies Electro status in a big radius, which is always a good opportunity to create rapid chain reactions.

Anemo traveler is good for almost everything because swirl will suck up whatever existing element is on the enemy or in the environment and apply bonus damage with it.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 5, 2020

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've calculated that I'm 70 rolls into Venti and between the daily rewards, quests, and other sources, I should just barely be able to scrape together another 20 pulls for my pity with the two weeks left on the banner.

The rates are so lovely that I absolutely can agree with a "90 or nothing" strategy for pulling on limited banners.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Arcanen posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/genshin-impact-17-million-downloads-on-mobile-alone-estimated-50-million-in-revenue-since-launch

Looks like Genshin Impact is going to be around for a while. Likely on it's way to becoming the most successful gacha game ever.

It's pretty wild honestly that it took this long for a company with resources to explore making a gacha that is an actual AAA videogame, rather than a menu labyrinth featuring two-minute long bite sized missions with a victory screen at the end.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
After my 80th rolls the Venti banner finally barfed up the spoony bard himself, and perhaps even more improbably, my *first* copy of Fischl.

Time to hoard pulls for a long rear end time.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I didn't at all realize that the pity count carried over between limited banners, you'd absolutely expect it would zero you out at the end like most gachas, because gently caress you.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I still hate using the Geo traveler, but I found a legitimately useful application for his E power.

The wolf world boss has an annoying phase where he just runs circles and then charges, where it's hard to get hits in. You can drop a rock in front of his path before he charges and if you have the constellation that makes it deal damage on destruction, he will bonk himself in the head for a few thousand easy damage.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The traveler geo rock would instantly become amazing if there was a way to deliberately detonate it.

Another lame thing about it is that if monsters get trapped on top of the rock, they are too stupid to path down so they will leash and teleport back to their origin after a few seconds, resetting their health. Very very annoying with the big hilicurl guys.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 6, 2020

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The best I could do to come up with a place to test combat numbers is to find a combat challenge and don't clear it. You can respawn the same encounter as much as you want, which is ideal for testing.

Obviously will be a bit tricky if you've already steamrolled the whole map and don't have any left.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Man this level 29 story quest just kind of sucks. It's like they were scrambling to get one more quest line in for launch and decided an interminable series of courier tasks where you ping pong around Liyue Harbor would be good enough.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Physical damage AFAIK is explicitly white damage from basic attacks, whereas Attack is applied to all direct damage the character causes (except elemental reactions).

Attack is probably better for a character who relies on mixed damage types or does significant elemental damage. Physical is better for a character that you're using a lot for basic attack combos (and isn't a tome user).

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I wonder how the game will handle the friction between its exceptionally high production values and the need to have a constant stream of content for players.

Once you get to the high 20's AR and have mostly wrapped up Liyue, the game really kind of sputters out and devolves into burning your resin and doing 4 commissions a day. They need badly to put more activities in the world, but I don't know how they're going to do it fast enough to maintain the constant daily engagement that they demand from their users(as all gacha games do).

Most live service games with modern 3D assets (Destiny, Path of Exile, Warframe, etc.) work on more of a seasonal cadence where they fully expect their users to get bored and wander off periodically. I've heard the Genshin team is very big but I don't think they're going to miraculously solve this problem.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If someone took out the gacha and sold me Genshin Impact as a "complete" $60 singleplayer game, I would have some pretty harsh critique for the disjointed story, lack of encounter variety, lovely dungeons, and very meager escalation in complexity between the two regions. It would feel like a great foundation of a game that went into some kind of production hell and got published two years early.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Tae posted:

See ya in a year when you're begging them to stop with events, considering Honkai's history

I mean I'll be delighted if they can keep it up and maintain the quality!

I don't know anything about Honkai other than watching a few minutes of youtube footage-- that game has a very streamlined and narrow mission structure doesn't it? Just walking down a corridor and killing waves of enemies in small missions I assume? Making content for Genshin and open world design seems like it will be substantially harder.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Well, I guess the answer to the question of "how will they keep players engaged" is "they won't".

I am obviously okay with more of a slower, seasonal update cycle, but it does seem like they kind of want to have their cake and eat it too with daily activities being the only recurring source of primogems and uncap materials.

I can see why the Chinese players are review bombing the game given that they will be waiting almost two months before getting any kind of event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
That's Stormterror right? I've never had any issue with the damage phase, I always just climb the neck and do basic combos on the crystal and gatling through my characters to dump their skill if relevant, but I don't think I use skills that have any kind of movement component.