Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I was ready to join reroll hell but got Keqing on my first AR5 beginner banner roll. This means I should basically just stay with this account right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ougher posted:

Well there was someone who shall not be named who kept making new accounts after rolling two 5*s on one, so who knows! How advanced are your brainworms! :shepface:

Realtalk:
Really only you can decide, but you could just keep playing that account and see how your next summons play out, or you could make more, and then if you get bunk you can still go back to your first one.
Very unadvanced. I'll just stick with it. What should I be doing with all these exp+ pages I find in chests?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not sure if I'm evaluating status effects correctly. I'm always going to run Kiqing and Fischl because I own them, and probably I'm always going to run Barbara because she's op in general, but I don't know how to evaluate Traveler, Chongyeung/Kaeyun, and Xiangling as the fourth member. Traveler gives swirl, Xiangling gives overheated, and ice gives superconductor. Superconductor and overheated look really similar so I guess I should just use the character whose E I like the best (which is probably Kaeyun) and try to stack their elemental mastery.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Idk fire seems best. It melts ice barriers and destroys shields which are very obnoxious otherwise, and one of the most annoying enemy types (electro cicin mage) is Electro. I think Diluc is so sought after not only because of his stats and abilities but because fire greatsword is the best possible attack type.

I say this as someone whose main DPS is electro. Like you can do fine with anything for 99% of cases, I still unlocked Xiangling as soon as I hit AR20.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Its elemental synergies are weak - most challenges in the game are structured around/give you more awards for killing things fast and Geo's only synergy is defensive.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zokari posted:

I've done like 80 pulls and have not even once gotten anything other than the guaranteed 4-star, with several of those being weapons.

They desperately need to make this Gacha less cruel if they want people to keep playing.
Pity timer is at 90!

Yes this game is weird. It's .6% to pull a 5*, meaning you only have a 42% of pulling a 5* before you hit the pity timer.

That's generally not how pity timers are supposed to work - in Hearthstone the pity timer is 40 but you have an 88% chance to pull a legendary before you hit the pity timer. The only way to realistically roll in GI is to buy in groups of 90.

I've totally messed up and I'm 48 pulls deep into the Venti banner and it's unlikely I'll get 42 more pulls before the event ends. For some reason I got mixed up and thought the PT was 50.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can confirm how far you are in your history. Each page has 6 results on it so you can just multiply the number of pages by 6. Check the "character event pull" history (note - it takes ten minutes or so to update after a pull).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kaustik posted:

Lol it kills me that there is a person out there who theoretically may have to roll 180 times to get their Venti.
Right above you there's a person who rolled 1900 times and is no closer to seeing Diluc!

Pulls are crazy expensive in this game too. After your first purchase you get fifty pulls for $100 - and that's at the best possible purchasing level. It's actually insane, I've never seen anything like it. $2 for a single pull rofl.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you were to actually spend realmoney on this, 180 pulls will run you 28,800 primogems, which is over $200 USD to get a single character (1/6th of the time).
It's actually over $300 without the first time bonus. Rofl.

Tabletops posted:

how much would 1980 pulls be
~$4000. You've saved so much money.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't really know much but I suspect that Qiqi is secretly the best 5 star to roll. She's basically irreplaceable and is a healer with a very powerful element (ice) that she aggressively applies.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CJ posted:

Is it a dumb idea to main the MC? I kind of fell into it because i had a good sword and the constellation stuff gives her a decent early game boost, but since she works differently from everyone else i feel like i might be shooting myself in the foot as i'm starting to get to the point where i need to invest seirous resources.

This is who i have so far, with Chongyun and Fischl and constellation 1, and Xiangling at constellation 3.

Another question, is it ever worth levelling up a fully refined 3* weapon over a 4* weapon? Some of the bonuses seem pretty decent but i'm not sure if it's a waste long term.

Also, i can't emphasise enough how much i hate the MC's Geo E ability. It's perfectly designed to glitch out the big enemies so they get stuck on top of it with not enough room for you to jump up and attack them without falling off.
Chongyun is a pretty popular choice for DPS main. I would probably try out Chong/Kaeya/Xiangling or Fischl/a healer. I'd hate to have those constellations you pulled go to waste!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They put a ton of money into developing it, I saw the number $100 million being used. Its an extremely impressive game at least up until AR25, I assume the content thins out soon afterwards.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow pity rate carrying over is nice. Glad I'm not totally SOL (I'm at 33 pulls until pity with no good primogem sources remaining, I'd basically be screwed)

The nice part of resin is it allows resin dungeons to be incredibly good. Like the efficiency in terms of ascension materials is insane, you could ascend 8 characters in like 2 hours without resin.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 6, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Geekslinger posted:

I need some feedback on a team to work on. Been playing for a couple of days and I just hit AR 14. I haven't been as lucky on pulls as some but was hoping I could do something with who I've pulled and have been using so far.

I'm considering a Bennett main Xianling backup second team. You could use Fischl and Barbara as well. You'd get the +25% fire bonus and overloaded. I hate not having Barbara in general so I'd overlook not wanting wet for it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wolf boss is so much harder than everything else. It's crazy. Doesn't help that using Barbara against it is such a disaster.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Arcanen posted:

I was honestly really disappointed that after the opening scene, MC never spoke again. Sick to death of silent protagonists.
I'm not really sure what the MC's voice line page is for.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Moldy Sausage posted:

Yeah once you’ve explored the map and done all the quests/dungeons/shrines the primogens really dry up. The chests that respawn don’t give any so you’re pretty much stuck with 60 gems a day.

Hopefully there will be some more events with free characters/primos because the cost of wishes seems crazy right now. I hit the 9 pull pity timer on the Venti banner and pulled Jean, and I doubt I’ll get another 14400 to get Venti, so I guess I’ll have to wait until I save up 28800 to get a 5* I actually want, and who knows how long that will take. I like the game enough that I wouldn’t even mind spending a few bucks to unlock him, but actually buying him would cost $50

Like those numbers seem insane to me considering the one time fancy chests give you 5 and dungeons and quests that you can only do once give you 40 and those are treated as huge rewards. I know Gacha exist to bilk money out of people and the game is completely playable at this point without spending any money as long as you’re fine with only using a few characters, but the rest of the game is so good the Gacha elements are a real let down.

Anyway I’m just mad I’m not gonna get Venti, that skill seems real useful for exploration.
If it's any consolation Jean is very good. She's a healer that gives swirl. If I could pick any 5* right now it would be Jean or Qiqi.

Also - buying 90 pulls for Venti would be >$100!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Really? Wow I'm surprised there's not more discussion around it.

EDIT: I looked at it and it's certainly nowhere near a 40% difference but there does seem to be one for dashes (couldn't confirm anything else). I guess the short characters have smaller hitboxes so the dash difference is a balancing mechanism. Risk of Rain 2 is a game with a much bigger hitbox disparity that maintains the same movement speed for everyone and the net effect is that you need more movement speed on the big characters to actually get out of the way of things.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 6, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The tier lists are a giant meme. They're geared towards Abyss Spiral floor 9 which I think nobody in North America has even unlocked yet. They're also often based on theoretical damage output without having a healer in the comp. They're fun to obsess over because building two parties is a really fun thing to build towards but any of the content anyone in the US has seen can just be outleveled so far.

And if it turns out there's content that eventually REQUIRES Diluc to be able to clear it, you'll probably also be required to have the other 7 optimal characters so what's the point?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bruceski posted:

When you play as the female MC is the perfume girl still thirsty as heck?
If you mean Lisa, yes. Idk maybe you mean someone else.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Different timers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Aww yeah, just got Venti in the most satisfying way after losing hope! I got antsy and bought the $15 pack to fill out 20 pulls, getting nothing new (and now I have 4 constellation Barbara). With no hope or primo left, I stumbled upon a new spot brimming with chests. I got lost in chestland until I had 160 primo, and that wish gave me my first legendary.
I don't condone this behavior, but congratulations!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Out of curiosity what teams did you use for abyss 5? I would have tried something like

Razor
Lisa
Kaeya
Barbara

Xianling
Venti
Amber
Noelle?

Team 2 is a mess ofc.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Someone tell me how to not suck at Spiral Abyss, everything takes forever to die in there and I am bad

Is there somewhere I can just farm up exp scrolls?
What level of abyss are you on? If it's 1/2 it means your artifacts probably aren't enhanced enough - that's the main dps increase your characters get. You'll want your main dps characters to only have artifacts that buff attack and then you'll want to enhance them to level 5+ (ok roses can never have atk as primary stat but you get my drift).

If you're at level 3 and can't get six stars there you probably just need to keep leveling.

As for exp scrolls they come from around the map. I'm assuming you still have some quests and teleporters open at your level so just keep exploring and opening every chest you see, you shouldn't quite be at the wall yet where leveling becomes hard. You can use resin to get xp books but imo you might want to farm ascension materials for your main party first so you can ascend Fischl/Traveler/whoever else you want as soon as you reach AR25.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah dumping xp into Lisa now that we know we're getting Fischl for free soon is hard to do. Abyss 6 is pretty darn far so congrats on getting that far at least.

EDIT: Also - are the only 4* units available in Venti banner Barbara/Fischl/Xianling? These are amazing units don't get me wrong (from how people talk the three best four star units in the game?) it's just odd the pool is so small.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

How are you getting through the trials? Is there any benefit for finishing them?
Which trials?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Xaerael posted:

You can get any 5* or 4* from the rate up banner. The spotlight characters just have an increased chance of appearing. The way it works is if you pull a non-spotlight 4*, the next 4* will be a spotlight. So like, your 4* pulls could go Barb-weapon-Barb-Barb-Bennet-Fischl-etc, with the rest of the pulls being 3* fodder.
Ok, that makes sense. It means that ~20% of the 4 stars you pull will be non-spotlight 4* characters. So if you're sick of pulling Barb/Fischl/Xianling it's probably best to wait until next character banner.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CJ posted:

gently caress me, i decided to just level up Barbara because i need a healer no matter what, then did a couple of quests to get enough for another pull and got Qiqi the pull immediately after Venti. Two back to back 5*s off the pity timer is amazing luck but it's like it's taunting me into wasting resources.
You can (and will want to) use both in the abyss so long-term it's not really a waste to level both.

(sorry about double post)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

I mislabeled. It’s the test run with Venti, Barb and Fishl
Oh you just get a small reward. I did Venti's for the 20 primogems because I'm desperate. The only dangerous part of his trial are the abyss mages so just dodge everything they throw at you while using E for damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rynder posted:

i'm not even rolling for a 5* at this point, i just want razor and everyone getting mega dupes of him makes me sad. I'm not even getting dupes of things to get that star currency to outright buy him from the shop.
Which banner are you pulling from? Odds of getting Razor off of Venti banner are very very bad.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rynder posted:

What?! Ok I guess it's my fault for not bothering to look at the details page, I assumed the spotlight banners were identical to the regular banners with just in increased rate of Venti / whoever is in spotlight. Yeah I've been pulling on the venti banner. Ugh.
I only learned this today too. Gacha is weird.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's not the confusing part - it's the fact that what we call the Venti banner is actually the "Venti/Barbara/Fischl/Xianling" banner. I get that they're pictured on it but Diluc and Jean are pictured on the standard banner and it doesnt mean anything.

Yes this has taught me to read the details page, which is in fact incredibly explicit. It's just a learning curve.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think people drawing fan art of Amber's thighs are twisting the devs' intentions, that's what they're there for. It's something you can either live with or you can't.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I imagine it'll be made easier at some point at some AR to fully get all amenoculus/geoculus. I just don't believe that long-term every player will be required to download an interactive map, that's generally not how devs want players to engage with their game.

Until then I think it's more fun to have some running wild and missing like...32 stamina out of ~250 isn't that big a deal for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think that's been proven and I think it's just 10 pulls always display in reverse rarity order. You could prove that it's broken if you single pull 9 times, do a 10 pull that gets a single purple, then single pull - if that single pull doesn't get a purple then 10 pulls are proven worse. But I do not have the pull resources to do that.

I do single pulls because I like to stock up 10 fates then pull until purple and then stop when I hit it so I don't leave mad.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Wait, I read some stuff about how the gacha works that is confusing me, so I want to double check. Is it true that if my first 5* item off the Venti banner isn't Venti, the second one 100% will be? I thought it would be a 50% chance every time.
Correct. If your first 5* isn't Venti, the second one will be guaranteed. The first one will also have a 50/50 chance to be Venti.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

If nobody else does before me, I’ll reroll and try this tonight. I’m really curious if singles are actually better.
Would love to see the results! I forgot to mention in the post that all 9 of the single pulls have to be blues for this to count, but I imagine you understood that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've been pulling on Venti too much and I have too many Xianlings and Barbaras and don't even want Venti that much (I already have Keqing, who can also cheat at platforming).

Given that pities apparently roll over it's probably f2p optimal to roll on a banner until you get all the 4 stars on offer then wait until the next one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I've never had as difficult as a time forming a gacha strategy as I have with this game. I guess part of it is I'm used to playing games that are "behind" their eastern servers, so I can know up to like a year or two which characters are appearing and if they're good in their particular metas. Here all I know is what the memes say and who is the current cutest characters.
I think people are getting baited by the 90 hit pity timers and aren't realizing that the increased odds 4 stars in the character event banners are what really matters for f2p players. So people are rolling fischl/barbara/xianling five times while missing two thirds of the 4* cast. I think the eventual optimal strategy will be to roll for 4* characters you're missing on character events then time your 90th hit for a five star you like.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bland posted:

After reaching the point where you can field 2 teams of strong characters I'd much rather have constellations for currently levelled team members over random 4*s.
Yeah, absolutely. All a question of how many rolls you get to use and how happy you are with your comps. Like if you have the characters you want for abyss then go hard on Barbara/Fischl/Xianling if you're using them because you're never going to see better value. This banner is ok to roll down a bit because the 4 stars seem so strong.

Rynder posted:

I think the problem is that the pity timers are separate. So if you pull 80 on the normal banner, the final 10 wont follow to the venti banner. So you're kinda stuck on the rate up character banner. Unless I'm wrong.
There's a screenshot going around of a customer support person saying pity timers roll over between character event banners. This is consistent with "Character Event" rolls being grouped together into the same wish history tab so I'm willing to believe it. I can't stay it's 100% true until I actually see it happen but the evidence seems credible enough.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Xun posted:

Im hesitant of doing any real testing before they add a lock system though, as far as I can tell theres no way to tell how refined a weapon is when you're selecting materials to feed into other weapons. I'm hoping the weird yellow square on some items in the leaks is a locking system.
Isn't it that number on the top right of the square?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

...How did you end up choosing Barbara as DPS? I respect it, it just does not seem like an obvious pick.