Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Weedle posted:

oh lol i never check my mail. thanks! and thanks!

Get in the habit of checking your mail (or just pay attention to the red indicator showing when you have new stuff). There's often free stuff in there, including primogems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Tae posted:

Part of the beta, claymore user

looks more like an axe to me :rock:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

inthesto posted:

tbh that just looks like an alternate costume for Xiangling

The name is 辛焱, which is definitely not Xiangling. I think it's Xinyan.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there a way to tell the element of an Abyss Mage's shield other than its color? I'm color-blind and can only really clearly tell maybe 3 different colors from the shields. I get the impression I may have been mixing up Water and Electric in particular.

Water and Cryo are easy to mix up at first glance, even for non-colorblind people. I think they always have their elemental symbol above their head?

Anyway, check out the Abyss Mages page on the wiki, there's a picture of all three, so you can find what's most distinctive about them to you.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Meiteron posted:

I got Venti pretty late, right near the end of his banner. I've been playing the game for pretty much the entire duration of his banner, which has really put into stark relief the way they handle progression and character acquisition in this game may have some serious structural issues.

I don't think there is. You're not supposed to get all the characters! I think you'll be able to get all the 4*s eventually, and you'll be able to get the 1 or 2 5*s you REALLY REALLY want, but you're always going to have more characters and XP books and constellations and ascension materials to chase, which I think is mihoyo's goal for the game.

Getting all the characters is just not the goal, leveling up all the characters is even less the goal. The goal is to have a party you don't hate, and use it to complete the content, and I think that's very possible to do FTP.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

frajaq posted:

So Xiangling with Crescent Pike is THAT worth as a F2Player so far...to actually refine the weapon itself? Or is that going too far

Crescent Pike is currently the best polearm in the game for a carry Xiangling, it is better than all of the 5-star polearms. You can't go wrong with refining it and leveling it up (unless it gets nerfed or something, which is possible, I dunno if mihayo thinks it's a problem or not).

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
She's a claymore user, it's the slowest weapon class by a lot (but also arguably the best). Nothing in the game grants attack speed, so Noelle will always attack at that speed, no matter what you equip her with.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

ThePineapple posted:

Once I've exhausted the Beginner's wish, is the standard wish the only place to use Acquaint Fate? So should I just be using the Acquaint Fate to roll on Standard whenever I get them through the story, or are there any better places or times to use them?

There is no other place to use them. No idea if this will ever change.

quote:

Edit: And there's no functional difference between doing a 10-roll and doing one roll at a time?

No. Doing it one at a time lets you stop before 10 pulls. But if you're sure you want to do all 10, there's no difference between the two.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Anemo, Geo and Dendro don't have status effects associated with them, right? Like there's nothing in the game that inflicts Anemo on an enemy like how Barbara inflicts Hydro (Wet), is that correct?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
According to everyone I've talked to who's familiar with mihoyo's other games, they treat their whales like poo poo, and they try to make the game fun for their FTP players and light spenders. The more you spend on their games, the unhappier you'll be.

Just accept that you won't always get what you want with the gacha, and roll with what you're given. If you can do that, you'll have fun. If you get caught up in the "but I HAVE TO HAVE this 5*", "but I HAVE TO HAVE this weapon for my 5*" "but I HAVE TO constellation up my 5*" cycle that never ends, then you will grow to hate the game (and yourself).

It's been proven, many times, that you can experience the entire game without spending. The game's philosophy is that it's going to try to get you to spend anyway, and if you do then you're a sucker and you deserve what you get.

You will not be able to get everything in the game. That's true whether you spend $0 or $10,000. So if not having something makes you unhappy, then you're hosed and the game will just take your money and then laugh at you.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ibblebibble posted:

I just wanna roll Mona, Jean or Keqing because they look fun to play.

Diluc will be relegated to expedition slave if I'm unlucky.

I'm finding Mona's combat gameplay just average, although her overland movement is kind of a godsend.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

kater posted:

Abyss gives a large quantity. Like I guess I missed that you get a reward for stars just flat out because when I went over there looking for something to do I suddenly had an extra 1000.

But the core (and very valid) point is that at some point not too far into the future, there will be no more free sources, other than the 60 from the daily quests. So it's a good idea to figure out what you're going to do before you get there! I buy the Welkin pass which is 90 a day, so I basically get 1 pull per day (90+60=150, 10 short of a pull) and I've decided I'm cool with that. Are you going to be cool with that? Figure it out, especially if you're still early in the game, because the game chucks Primogems wildly at you to start with, but eventually this is all you'll be left with (1 pull every 2-3 days if you're FTP, or 1 pull a day with the Welkin pass), and you need to not chase the high of the early days by spending money to rev up the gacha.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 22, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Holy poo poo I just saw Ayaka gameplay and I can't wait until patch 1.1. Cryo weeb swordplay AND mona's movement? Fuuuuck.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Everyone seems to be frothing at the mouth over this, but I'm still on the fence. I loving hate gatcha poo poo but this seems interesting.

People compare it to BOTW but BOTW had item degradation which was a big nono to me in a zelda game. Is this pretty much the same?

There's no item degradation and you can climb in the rain.

That said, there's also none of the cool physics tools that BotW had. You can run, swim, climb, and glide, and they do a lot with that and it's fun, but it doesn't have all the awesome options BotW had.

What it has instead is a very cool and pretty deep combat system based around elemental interactions and constantly switching characters.

You should give it a try, see how intrusive the gacha thing feels and then decide. It's definitely very enjoyable without ever spending any money. You won't have all the 5* characters, but no one does and it's fine.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Inzombiac posted:

Hey, so I don't know if anyone else is like me but systematically following the map for Geocules has killed the fun for me and made it feel like an Assassin's Creed checklist.

If you feel the same way, I suggest playing normally and checking them off only when you've found them organically.

You're still "cheating" but inevitably you'll see the surrounding ones but it's better than churning through it robotically.

I'm not using the interactive map for just this reason. I feel like the internet is very efficient at killing the fun of discovery.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

berenzen posted:

Just the one you're pulling from.

This is wrong.

berenzen posted:

So if you have 89 roll on permanent banner without seeing a 5*, then roll on the special banner, you are not guaranteed a 5*.

This is technically correct. There is a pity counter rollover, but only between banners of the same "type", the Acquaint Fate standard banner and Intertwined Fate character banners use separate pity counters. But if you rolled 89 times on Venti's banner without a 5*, then your first pull on Klee's banner is guaranteed to be a 5*.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 22, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Ningguang can be very good, and is a lot of fun to play. Handy passive, too.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

BrightWing posted:

Hi I tried this yesterday amd played like 7 hours to AR 14 and just wanna say Genshin Impact is Cool and Good, thank you for attending my TED talk.

good news is you haven't gotten to the really cool and good parts yet

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Tabletops posted:

neat i got klee on my 9th roll on the new banner

kinda regret it though since i was 2/3rd to the pity and i really only wanted xinqiu and wanted to use the pity for xiao or zhongli :(

The way pity works is progressive: it's not simply 0.6% for the first 89 rolls and then 100% for the 90th. The odds keep gradually increasing, so you'll rarely actually get to 90.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mr Snips posted:

While I do hope they add more puzzle stuff anything they add has to be completable with only the permanent free to play characters. Which limits what they could do. No puzzles involving hydro for example, since Barbara is only free until 1.1

The Traveller will eventually have all of the elements, so hydro puzzles will be available to everyone after Fontaine is released. There's also possible solutions along the lines of the Anemo bottles they're adding in 1.1 (you'll be able to bottle those updraft spirits for later use).

I think the best puzzles are the ones which are easier or more convenient to do with certain characters, but have alternate solutions if you look for them. Like when I was exploring without an archer, I solved one of those "kill these balloons within 20 seconds" puzzle by ulting with Lisa in the right spot, which was kinda cool.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

gay_crimes posted:

I waited too long to start and it appears that I missed the chance to do some initial rerolls for a decent team. My pulls were all pretty bad, some part of my brain won't let that go but I also don't want to get into dumping tons of money into this. What a frustrating initial experience

You can still reroll if you want, you're not missing out on anything significant.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

bandaid.friend posted:

I saw lots of crabs when I went to the nameless island north-east of Mondstadt

I'm playing the boy hero. NPCs refer to me as 'she' and my sibling as 'he/Prince' in voice lines, while the text is the other way around. I feel like I chose the wrong hero

Boy hero is canon according to this story teaser. The pronouns kind of flail about randomly, they will mess up in places no matter which protagonist you are.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

bandaid.friend posted:

Most difficult challenge in the game imo is entering the tavern without examining the missing person poster two or three times on the way in

Give Amber a break, it's the one single poster she managed to put in a non-insane location. All the others are halfway up windmills or on the roof of the cathedral.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Playing on PS4 cause my laptop cant run this. Also have an account on my phone that I got to AR7 where I managed to roll QiQi, Chongyun, Xiangling, Barbara, Noelle and Xingqiu.

That was weeks ago. Logged in just now and got Klee with my first goddamn pull on the new banner with the freebie gems they mailed us. Now I have two 5 stars on the account I've played for 45 minutes. And still 0 five stars on my main account where I've completely cleared out Mondstadt lol. Gacha is a fickle mistress.

At least i have a super fun team to mess around with on my phone when I'm bored. Wet with Xinqiu, freeze with Chongyun or QiQi and then nuke everything with Klee. It's pretty nuts.

At that point I'd definitely reconsider which one of those is your main account. Especially because the PS4 version can't crossplay, but your phone account can, if you ever get a better computer or whatever.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Squiddycat posted:

That guy who got unfrozen into a world he doesn't even know anymore in the middle of a lighthearted cooking competition is pretty hosed up too

My favorite is the guy fishing coins out of the fountain at night because he can't afford medicine for his sister... and his sister throwing coins back into the fountain during the day, wishing that she could stop being a burden on her brother.

Also every book about hilichurls reads exactly like british colonialist literature about the ignorant savages. I wasn't even sure whether it was supposed to be read as satire until later, when the game makes it increasingly clear that they have their own culture, language and customs, and aren't mindless brutes at all.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I can't believe this game doesn't have outfits yet btw, how is this even possible. It seems like such a no-brainer. Dammit I wanna play anime dressup already.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

inthesto posted:

You know they're all gonna cost money, right

fine, then I'll watch whales play anime dress-up, that's not as good but still better than no anime dress-up at all!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wonder how they're gonna add those weapons into the game later, since they all have the capacity for refinement. I picked black sword for keqing, but then pulled klee and holy poo poo are there no good catalysts outside of the solar pearl. You can find a fairly good number of good swords, just not as good as the black sword, but there's loving nothing out there for catalysts. You want either solar pearl, widsith, or a 5* for a main damage person. (fun fact, widsith is mistranslated/confusingly worded, what it means is when that character takes the field, that character gets the buff. between the crit damage and the buff actually being kinda loving nuts, it's p good.)

My Mona is using Sacrificial Fragments, is that not good? I think its passive is very strong, I love the uptime it gives her E.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

The White Dragon posted:

i feel like if you're trying to create a sympathetic monster class, you also need to not have them aggro you from two screens away while you pick flowers

The ones in the wild do, but the ones in camps mostly mind their own business until you barge in uninvited.

Also, the very first thing you did at AR 2 was help Amber massacre a hilichurl camp unprovoked, so if the narrative ever wants to make this a Thing, you definitely started it and the hilichurls are justified in seeing you as a serious threat.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
So, I'm very fond of this game, and I'm wondering if it would be completely stupid to get into Honkai Impact 3 for more MiHoYo goodness (and ancillary lore, since there seem to be some links between the two universes). I remember giving Honkai a try a couple of years ago, but bounced off immediately. It is worth giving it another chance, anyone know?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

inthesto posted:

I finally caved and spent ten dollars on the gnostic hymn, and sweet merciful jesus it is a soothing balm to get that much resources dumped on my head all at once

Funny enough, the 680 primogems at the end are actually a better deal than the $15 dollar pack in the regular shop

Welkin blessing is the best deal you can get for cash, battle pass (gnostic hymn) is the second best. I don't think it's a coincidence that both of those are delayed gratification. That's the stuff meant for normal people. Every other way of spending money is for paypigs who can't help themselves (horrible value, but instant gratification).

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Is there a best use right now for dropping a bit of cash? I'm not 20 yet so not access to the battle pass and I'm leery of getting a battle pass cause generally they're more likely to make me burn out.

Welkin blessing. $5 a month, it'll net you 3000 primogems (about 19 rolls), and you don't have to do a drat thing except log in once a day.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Yes, they'll keep scaling up with World Level, so save your Fragile Resins if possible.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Klee is adorbs, I laughed at loud at her death quote. "Yes, I did it! W-wait, no I didn't..."

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

theblackw0lf posted:

Did Venti’s quest and yea that was incredible. Gives me hope for the rest of the storytelling going forward.

From what I've seen Mihoyo are really loving good at storytelling, if Honkai Impact is anything to go by we're in for a ride.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Paimon grated at first, but she's funny enough that she kinda grew on me after a while.

Definitely a weird choice for the first character you meet, though.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mae posted:

Is Klee ranged in a way a bow user is and can she target fliers/tower hilichurls etc? I have a pretty good comp in Qiqi/Razor/Amber/Sucrose but I'm wondering if I should roll for something else.

No, she's much like the other catalyst users (Lisa/Barbara etc), her attacks are relatively short-range (slightly longer than melee) and autotarget. She's helpless against distant/high up enemies.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Helical Nightmares posted:

So I just started yesterday and beyond the basic four I have Noelle, Fischl and Chongyun.

What else should I be doing/reading as a beginner?

The game guides you very nicely for the first 30 ARs or so. Literally just enjoy yourself, explore, and do the quests! It's pretty hard to make a really huge mistake.

Pick up everything you see, there's a lot of stuff that looks like random crap but then later you'll find that you need hundreds of them. Philameno mushrooms (the brown star-looking thing that grows on houses) are an example, make sure you pick them up if you see them. You'll thank yourself later.

You can play through the entire game without ever spending money and you'll have fun! If you do want to spend money, the Welkin Blessing ($5 a month for a total of 3000 primogems over that month) is very reasonable value. The battle pass (Gnostic Hymn, $10 a month) is also alright, just not right now, because this one is about to expire so you won't get much value from it. I would strongly advise AGAINST spending money on anything else, it's just not worth it.

Don't use Primogems on anything but rolls on the Intertwined Fates banner. If you don't want the characters on the banner, just wait for the next banner. You get a lot of primogems to start with, but they will quickly dry up.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Archonex posted:

Edit: If chests don't respawn they've officially made it impossible to farm primogems. Which I feel is going to completely gently caress their total number of players in the long run since at some point the only option is to whale or quit getting new characters and weapons.

It is impossible to farm primogems. That said, you get 60 a day from dailies, which translates to 11 pulls a month. So you can expect to get a 4* every month.

You can go faster without whaling, just by buying the Welkin Blessing ($5 a month). Along with the dailies, that gives you a pull every day: you can expect to get three 4*s a month, and a 5* every 3 months. That's a bare minimum: in practice, it's going to be more than that, with new events and content.

But that's the pace you're supposed to progress at. If you want to "finish" the game quickly then you're thinking about it the wrong way. These games are designed to be played casually for years, not no-lifed over a week or two. If you're trying to progress more quickly than you're supposed to, you're going to have a very bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
drat, nice

It was still a bad bet. But glad it worked out for you, kinda!