Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

In Month 7 of our Covid derail, we're seeing a lot of cracks in a lot of areas. I am going to restate something that I've been saying for a while -- EVERYTHING'S FUCKY.

And there's nothing we can do to change that. We're all out of our comfort zones. We're all struggling with all of the changes that are seemingly happening in every facet of our lives right now.

So take care of yourself, first. And take care of those you love. We're all struggling. We're all stressed. We're all about to go ballistic on all the other motherfuckers that are trying to make things even worse.

Be kind. Listen and show understanding, even if you're faking it. The only way we get through this is by thinking and responding with thought-out answers, not allowing our stupid reptilian brains burn it all down.

I missed the last couple pages of the September chat thread, and a few of you posted about real struggles. I feel for you.

This is another chat thread. Talk about bullshit. Talk about feelings. We'll get through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bad things happen in Philadelphia.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFvwE_GHgGy/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Then because toxic masculinity is a cool and good thing I've had no less than 5 people take the piss about "acting like a woman". I loving hate people.

How is that even a thing still? Hell, I cry all the time. If you're not crying, you're not paying attention. How much less of a man does that make me? None, it makes me stronger, because I deal with the poo poo, but still recognize it's poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:siren: Trump has covid.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

willroc7 posted:

I"m considering purchasing a car sight-unseen from a few states over from Autotrader and getting it shipped to me. Assuming I get it inspected and complete my due diligence, what's the best way to pay in this scenario? Some Escrow service? Does anyone have experience with this?

Car in question, for clicks https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...SS&LNX=VDPCCEML

Buying a 15 year old vw with 140k miles sight unseen. Automotive insanity. Credentials: I own a 2006 Passat with fewer than 90k miles and :lol:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

willroc7 posted:

Haha, but it's a manual wagon! LET's GOOOOO

edit: has yours been bad to own? I had an 04 and an 09 GTI and they were both great to me.

Mine's an auto 3.6l VR6 and, after having a modded 1.8T manual Jetta, the newer 275hp motor stock is so much more of a beast than a modded turbo 4, it's not even funny.

The base car is fine. It's strong, not un-fun to drive, and reasonable. But the electrical is pure nightmare fuel. Right now, my 2-axis swivel headlights work fine, but the car flags them as broken, so 60% of the time I have a flashing yellow light on the dash. The driver's door won't lock, the left turn signal randomly fast flashes and says there's a problem with the left front bulb, but it's fine and the problem comes and goes. The headliner just poo poo itself. The perforated leather, that's in the car you're looking at too, likes to tear at the perforations. The soft touch covering is off in most places (there's cheap chinesium replacements for the driver's door stuff, the rest is $$$).

In general, it's a 15 year old VW.

Edit: And I bought it about a year ago for $1200 and had to drop another $1k for a steering lock failure that required dealer programming. So I'm into it for about $2500 right now, and that's about what I'd say it's worth. Book value is almost $4k, but they just don't bring that.

And don't get me wrong, I like the car. It's just that its problems are lol.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 2, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I've just been notified that my college is going to maintain "extreme low density in-person posture" for next semester. gently caress. This spring may be the last time that I actually teach students in person. I'm tired of the twisted pseudo-academic-but-really-corporate bullshit and plan to stop teaching after next semester.

That's kinda sad, because I've developed courses over the last 20 years that have really changed some students' lives.

:2020:

cakesmith handyman posted:

My kids are driving me insane. Sill love 'em.

I feel that. Everyone's struggling, even the kids. They can't help it, but drat... sometimes it's hard to find empathy when I'm treading water, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

Actually, I was thinking more the ford quadricycle from around 1900. The big oversized wheels I think are what really does it.

I missed commenting on this, but that rig rocks, bajaha.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

Who are these people taking shifts beating people up for 3 years? Junior high is 2 grades, high school is 4 grades. :confused:

Everyone isn't linear in their beatdowns. I had a tough time in the first 2 years of middle school (3 year school), then moved and had to fight my way through the first year of high school (4 year school). Other than that, I was good, but I definitely felt the pain.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I was 8 years old when it started. I'm talking literal daily beatings. It's long and complicated but it's probably why I hated school so much, I was never safe there.

Indiana can suck. You grew up at a particularly bad time for your name. But, you're not an rear end in a top hat now and a lot of them are, so welp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

But it's bring your OBD2? :confused:

:thejoke:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Get your "Trump Defeats COVID" commemorative coin before they're gone!

https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/trump-defeats-covid.htm

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Almost done... just need to remake 1 speaker grille and put hardware on (after I decide on hardware). The speaker grille cloth is shimmery and doesn't photograph well, or color-match well. I took it to get color matched and came back with a purple that's the same color that shows in this pic. In real life, though, it is a medium grey, which is the color I manually matched. So, in person, the colors are the same.

Receiver is mounted inside and a 7.2 wall plate and speaker wires are done. Right now there's only the 3 front speakers, but it's getting there. I've watched a number of things down there so far and it's great.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I just went from 100/10 to 500/50 and I'm happy. I'm starting to get things out of boxes in the basement and I'll have my library pc back up and getting Linus isos again soon.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Humphreys posted:

I wandered over the neighbours house when I heard swearing and shed lights on:

This MAY have been an idea I came up with while drinking beers. But didn't expect it to actually be put into place trying to fit springs and spacers into a Prado:

Yikes.

I've used long pry bars in that situation before. Bottle jack will certainly do it, but man...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So... Lowtax is officially gone. Interesting day for Something Awful dot com

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I had a bat show up in my last house two times. They are loving creepy because they are silent. Like... eerily silent.

Krakkles posted:

I mean the point is kind of that Butcher is a piece of poo poo so ... weird that you want to associate yourself with that.

There's a very narrow window of people that aren't a piece of poo poo in that show.

Edit: I've been into cars for over 40 years. Time to look to something different. There is a revolution just starting to peek it's head up and I'm all about it. Electric vehicles are superior to ICE vehicles. AI or not. Here's a thought:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90562654/car-design-is-about-to-change-forever-this-video-encapsulates-how

Edit2: Yeah, I've been drinking, but seriously... that is the distillation of a car. You don't need steering linkage, or power steering, or cooling anywhere near an ICE scale, or anything more than rudimentary brakes (assuming that regen braking can be developed properly). That structure is what a car is. A chassis, a means of propulsion, and fuel. Everything else is comfort.

I find myself stuck between wanting what exists, and longing for what is coming. I really liked the Camaro SS convertible that I Turo'd in Hawaii. But as I think about actually buying one, I see the long-term prospects troubling. A Model 3 would be as-fast, or faster. Plus it would have more space and be so much more cost-friendly in the long term (providing Tesla gets their poo poo together, but even if they don't, another company will), and is going to be obsolete in our lifetime.

Everything is fucky right now, but god drat, there's promise on the horizon that we shouldn't lose track of.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 10, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BigPaddy posted:

No point shooting a charging koala you will just make it made. So fire arms are just for hobbies so store them safely since they are non use for self defense.

On a contrary note, and considering that I had a shotgun before I was 10 years old, I am extremely :rolleyes: at the US and guns for "protection." It's fear, pure and simple. So much of the US gun culture is based on fear of some bad guy coming to take your stuffs, I'm tired of it and it's embarrassing. Is there a chance? Yes, more here than anywhere, because people are crazy with guns, but still, the overwhelming majority of the US citizenry is not living in an area where firearms for protection will EVER come into play.

Edit: I'm sure I've said it before, but shooting guns is damned fun. Skeet is fun. Shooting handguns is fun. The big fire plume from a long barrel .357 magnum gives an immense feeling of power. But having them solely for "protection" is sad.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 11, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

An equal amount of dipshits are obsessed with the hero fantasy. They honestly think they will save the day if poo poo goes down.

We have a fuckstick that open carries at cars and coffee and he is very confrontational. He heard someone making Mustang Driver jokes so he confronted the dude and when the joke maker refused to back down our resident fuckstick rested his hand on his gun. The entire mood changed immediately.

I HATE guys that open carry.

That moment that you realize that most of the US motifs of "valor" are murder fantasies.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Here, welfare fraud is estimated to cost NZ$8M per year. Tax evasion is estimated at NZ$1.5B.

IOwnCalculus posted:

To go with that, consider the sheer levels of fraud that can actually be accomplished here. If an "undeserving" person somehow scammed their way into free housing for a year, how much monetary damage could they really do? I'm ignoring things like "blew up a city block with a meth lab" because that poo poo happens regardless of who is paying the housing bill.

Compare that to the billion-dollar subsidies that keep showing up at the top of the food chain.

Or look at kids who have school lunch bills. The food is already made, they're either going to serve it to a kid or throw it out, and if the kid can't pay for the food one way or another the answer is apparently "throw it away and have a hungry child".

The system isn't broken, it's operating as designed, and it's designed to be loving evil.

e:f,b in a much more concise way with actual numbers

I wish more people could see an understand this. My wife's dad is all Right Wing anti-immigrant, because he does home care for government assisted illness. And, in that job he sees people exploiting the system, with family members that live in the same apartment getting paid by the government to care for the people in the apartment that need care.

Maybe that's an exploit. But they are getting THOUSANDS from the government, where we're throwing BILLIONS at the corporate overlords. And, with the last Covid thing, perhaps close to a TRILLION.

The scale is unimaginable. And, with that, the Right is able to push on what people SEE as bad, instead of what is actually going on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Here, those family care people took the govt to court AND WON. See, if you need full time care, the govt would pay for a professional. Even if you were rich enough to hire a nurse, they’d pay. But they wouldn’t pay for a family member doing the exact same job. So a bunch got together and sued the govt all the way to the High Court and won, from memory it even involved some $150m in back payments.

Greaaaaattttt.... so we're at least two steps behind. :911:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you hit it there - the scale at the top is literally unimaginable. It's easy to look at someone trying to grift at the bottom* and say "it's like they're stealing thousands" because that's something you can comprehend. A billionaire making more billions is just ratcheting an already obscene number up another few steps and they both are incomprehensibly large so what's the difference before and after? So the person next door gets made out to be the villain because you can go yell in their face while the person at the top just keeps on doing their poo poo.

*also really if someone wants to set their standard of living to "I scammed the government out of subsidized housing" then gently caress it that's fine. I will gladly pay my share into making sure that person has housing because there's no good reason that anyone should be homeless for lack of an available place to go. Even if you find welfare fraud at the bottom, you're talking about people who are moving up a tiny bit from between a rock and a hard place.

The person "scamming" food stamps isn't using the money to fuel a hidden fleet of Ferraris. The person paying 37% on their top tax rate instead of 70-90% is doing that, and a whole lot worse

Yup. As someone pointed out -- what's the difference between a million and a billion? About a billion.

Virtually none of us ever even SEE rich people. The people that you see driving Ferraris or Rolls Royces? Not rich. Maybe mega-millionaires. FIFTY NINE people in the US own over HALF of the wealth. We are all various shades of poor in comparison.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 13, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Be kind. Listen and show understanding, even if you're faking it. The only way we get through this is by thinking and responding with thought-out answers, not allowing our stupid reptilian brains to burn it all down.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Man y’all lurkers are weird I thought I cropped the pic from IG but I didn’t the guy with the Ferrari has responded to you and happens to know I’m not wanted for murder. Thanks lurky lurks!

Goons gonna goon.

Edit: I had to look up your post to see what you were talking about, and I'm more concerned with your phone being at 47% at 8AM. :stare:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 14, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Home speaker derail -- I finally got everything except the subwoofer set up and wired through the cabinet/ceiling/faceplates/etc.

I have always had a 5.1 setup, and never took the time or energy to set up a 7.1. Man, was I wrong. Now that I've got 7.1, I can't see going back. There's so much atmospheric presence added with the two side channels, I'm a bit floored.

Still so much work to do, though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

poo poo, Rhyno, I'm sorry. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Just saw that the 560SEC that my dad had in the early/mid '90s sold on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-mercedes-benz-560sec-33/

That was a great car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Wow, yeah no staples here. They used a cryonic knife that cauterizes as it cuts, so no suturing needed. Just had the stents pulled, was not comfortable.

Yeah, but... how are your poops?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Grasshoppers transform into swarm of locust based on the number of certain trigger events cumulatively experienced throughout their lives. We’re talking about extraordinarily primitive social behavior here, but what’s to say humans have totally escaped such an early intra(?)-social strategy? The number of conflict known throughout human history that make little sense seems to suggest to, in my mind. I’ve always been extremely naive in some sense though. Regardless, what’s not to say that a basic human strategy in regards to a new social playing field (EG: The Information Age) wouldn’t be to employ an extremely primitive social strategy? Wanna fix it? We find the trigger events, we break the cycle. I’m choosing to focus on transfers of stress. I think by far it’s the most used strategy by which we are creating diversions. We find some stress that bugs us and build a meme or trope about it, the point it out in each other over and over. It’s a silly social strategy.

Anyway I’m nodding in and out high as gently caress on hydrocodone and Vicodin right now. What was the question? So I started out writing about how excruciating hiccups are right now and how they’re caused by my continuing constipation. I ended up at the above and decided to truncate the beginning cause I though it was funny. We need to focus on building each other up, man. I still need to poop, thanks for asking. You’re alright.

Watched the Big Lebowski last night with my son, first time for him. I think he got something out of it. I should probably hit “Post” now or this ain’t never gonna end...

This is the best post I've read in a long time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

I fully support trouser chili being high on Vicodin and experimenting on his body.

My very first import was this Crown Majesta and the hood dropped on my left shoulder. drat that thing weighed a ton. I think my should was either dislocated or popped out later on. Agaonzing annoying pain now 2+ years later. I don’t think my doc would give pain meds he is an addiction specialist but can they ever like give you a numbing shot or something in that local area? I don’t know what to ask for and don’t want to be labeled a drug seeker

Cortisone shot.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

Just get a bunch of silver nitrate and rub it all over the back of your throat, that's how they cauterized my sinuses, and I haven't had a nosebleed since! Please God, don't do that. Go to doctor

Ah, the ol' silver nitrate gargle. :supaburn:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

64bit_Dophins posted:

Got a new psych and had to dust off this old "psycho-educational" report from when I was 15 and ouch!

I have a 90 iq and my short term memory and processing scores are in the special education range.

So what do they suggest to improve / accommodate your processing scores?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Right side had tore open. It was the cause of the bleed. Just left my second surgery to have it re-cauterized. They let me keep the leg squeezie things this time.

Guys, don’t get your tonsils out at 42 if you can, it’s not great.

I've been keeping my wife apprised of your journey. She's 41 and wants to get her tonsils out. You are affecting her sleep.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

64bit_Dophins posted:

How it feels to be newly single now that I have the 335d.

Next you'll be posting on glyph's FB group "Show me on the doll where your BMW hurt you."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Krakkles posted:

I mean, I know fuckall about bikes anymore, but 25.4 makes way more sense (than 24.5) because it's an inch, right?

Bike specs are all over the board. I've seen all kinds of oddball sizes / configurations. I've processed a few dozen bikes over the years, full disassembly. I just found an entirely new bottom bracket design on a spin bike... used for like 3 years... and had to special order a tool to remove it.

Bikes are fucky. Just like everything else.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

I do live in a historic district of my small town so I’ve heard it can take them a lot longer for most people. It’s free paid for through taxes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Yes I understand I was simplifying I pay very, very low taxes for my property and services. Now my tiny small business hoo boy ya want to talk about the ways the state has made mincemeat out of me? $12k fine for underreported sales of $5k (which would mean net $500 in unpaid taxes) over 3 years. It’s amazing! But yes I like when the claw machine comes

I was just pointing out that taxes go to a lot of "little" standard-of-living niceties, like that.

In other news, political warning -- nope, it was just taken out of context

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 25, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

As king nerd of AI I am allowed to judge

I think he has a point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

StormDrain posted:

Also you can wrap it in an obnoxious color or pattern and I recommend that.

No way, it's already the rudest gently caress you brown. Buy it.

So I've been pretty okay throughout the last several months. Everything's fucky, and that's just the way it is. All of a sudden, though, I'm being swamped with feelings of ill portent. I'm not typically one to worry, but man... I guess this is what impotent worry feels like. :sigh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

wallaka posted:

Talk to you guys in like a month!

Good luck!

Darchangel posted:

Well, there’s the election next week, and the fact that the shitstain Republicans ramrodded through Amy Barrett’s Supreme Court confirmation...

In other news I have my old guy butt exam today, in a couple of hours. I am hungry and grumpy today from the clear liquid diet yesterday and no eating today. And the colon cleanse stuff didn’t taste completely terrible, but not good. And boy howdy, it worked.
Lost almost 3 pounds from yesterday morning.
Wish me luck!

Good luck with the butt exam.

You listed two of the big stressors, covid getting ready for a huge charge is certainly weighing on me, too. Germany is way, way up, and we were about 3 weeks behind the last round... I just see a lot of ways it can come up bullshit and it's concerning.

I'm fine in the whole "my life has nothing to complain about without seeming like an entitled prick" way, like Somewhat Heroic summarized. I just find myself posting mostly good stuff here and a lot of people fight sadbrains. At this point, we are ALL fighting, and it's okay. It's fucky, but eventually the fuckyness will wear out and things will get better again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

aww my poor pup got kennel cough :(

We went through that earlier this year. Got it from doggy daycare. Jerks knew their place was contaminated.

Poor guy sounded like a goose for a couple weeks, but the drugs really knocked it out. Thankfully, he didn't give it to our other dog. Hopefully yours gets better soon.