Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

froody guy posted:

Is there anyone still using CH products? I'm having a hard time having them working on my pc, Win11 updated and all checked. Drivers are from 2006 so I mean... thanks CH for the effort of not giving a gently caress so hard for almost 2 decades. That being said device manager recognizes them, it says they're working good but if I open the CtrlMgr app and try to calibrate them the app freezes (not the pc, just the app). MSFS doesn't see them at all.

Another concern I have is that they made me disable the 'core isolation/memory integrity' feature, and if I have them plugged in during at boot, they make me go into a reboot loop for some unspecified reason. So, I need to unplug them, boot up, then plug them in, but yet they won't work in MSFS.

I'm clueless also because I used them in the past and IIRC it was already on Win11 so wtf is going on?

I'm using the Pro Pedals without issue in win11. The Fighter Stick and Pro Throttle got boxed up in favor of Honeycomb stuff a few years back. But they were working fine last I used them. I don't use any of the CH drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I remember reading that the person who wrote the CH software retired like 20 years ago. I used CH gear for a long-rear end time, but I gave up on the software around Windows 7 or so.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I found the solution in a comment on reddit. Basically it was just a matter of removing the CH drivers and their CH-Manager app but it was a bit tricky cause when you uninstall the CH drivers via their uninstall tool, it only removes the files from the install folder, it doesn't remove neither the drivers in ..\System32\drivers nor the entries he created in the registry.

Basically this fixed it

quote:

In (Sysinternals) Autoruns64 I deleted the 3 chdrvr0#'s from the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. I then deleted the 3 chdrvr0#.sys files from %WINDIR%\System32\drivers\.

So, with some generic driver built in Windows they all work perfectly with a little caveat. I don't think it's possible to calibrate them and it would be necessary. I see a Wingwin or Virpil hotas in my future.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I still use CH pedals and a yoke on Windows 11 and it was plug and play for me.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

CH Products stuff should all be plug and play in Windows 10 and 11. I know the CH Manager software isn't officially supported anymore, but it did work on my Windows 10 system.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

froody guy posted:

So, with some generic driver built in Windows they all work perfectly with a little caveat. I don't think it's possible to calibrate them and it would be necessary. I see a Wingwin or Virpil hotas in my future.

There is some generic windows game controller calibration, can you use that?

Also, VKB > Virpil/winwing

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've greatly enjoyed the Virpil HOTAS I bought. It's pricey yes but after 2 years of use, and realizing I had been flight simming off and on for 20+ years, it was worth it.

If you're just dipping your toe into it its probably too much to go for right away, but there's a healthy used sales market for sim controllers on ebay etc.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I have the honeycomb yoke and throttle quadrant. I think I might sell them because I’ve used both of them basically zero the last six months. I still boot up and fly around for fun but it’s mostly just my Xbox controller.

Would anyone here be interested? That said I realize now there’s weird issues with the company maybe not existing ever and rma stuff but just testing the waters.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A friend of mine is an aspiring pilot who can't afford a computer for MSFT. I was thinking of giving her my computer and building something new, but someone in the hardware stupid questions thread informed me that MSFT is available on Xbox.

Would she be missing out on anything by using MSFT on Xbox as opposed to doing it on PC? I don't know how controls work when you don't have a mouse. I got her the Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Edition joystick to start with, and I figure that will probably work on Xbox.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
MSFS on XBox is _fucking_ great. It is in no way dumbed down or a different version. It is the real deal, and will absolutely get someone interested in flying on the way. The in-built voice acted little flight lessons work great, and support using the xbox controller.

It will never be the same as a full simrig and peripherals, but barring that, it's dope. And it looks amazing on Series X.

However, peripherals do not work automatically on xbox due to the way xbox protects its own OS from outside devices. The list of devices that work is limited, and you gotta check on what does and what doesn't work. However, you're on luck because your chosen stick does work, and is officially part of the xbox list of sticks.

With an xbox, a big TV, and Airbus stick on a table in front of you, that's a pretty serious sim pit! It will be a blast.
You can use most any USB mouse on MSFS2020 on xbox.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 19, 2024

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

On peripherals, the Turtle Beach flight sim stuff is pretty drat good for console-focused peripherals. I have their rudder pedals, and I really like them! You just can't remove the springs to make them hold position for helicopters like you can with others.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Would she be missing out on anything by using MSFT on Xbox as opposed to doing it on PC? I don't know how controls work when you don't have a mouse. I got her the Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Edition joystick to start with, and I figure that will probably work on Xbox.

Which one? There is the TCA Sidestick X which works on xbox, and the TCA Sidestick which does not work on xbox.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wow, great, thanks for the input about this. It sounds like an xbox is probably the way to go. I got her the non-Xbox stick but I guess I could sell that and just get her something that will work with the xbox. Exciting!

E: follow up question, how does the experience differ on the S versus the X? Should I just get her the X so she's ready for MSFT2024?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 20, 2024

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

There's a lot of corners cut to get it to work on the S, up to and including avionics blanking out when it runs out of memory.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Xakura posted:

There is some generic windows game controller calibration, can you use that?
Tbh no because the peripherals don't show up anywhere clearly distinguishable in device manager. I suspect they're hiding somehwere among them HID/USB input devices but it's not like when you plug in a gamepad that you can treat it like a joystick and calibrate it.

Xakura posted:

Also, VKB > Virpil/winwing
Really? I thought they were pretty much all the same, probably Winwing on the lower end of the spectrum but tbh it's the package I like the most, being 'the package' the sum of throttle + grip + base for the grip. Personally I like Virpil the most but the throttle seems a bit... lacking. VKB throttle also seems a bit too much 3dprinted in somebody's garage. Winwing also has more choices in terms of grips for DCS as you can choose the F15EX (2 variants) F16 and F18. Software wise (easy of use, customization, profiles...), I don't know but it's for sure something I'll consider as well.

Besides, Winwing is coming to the A320 crowd in full swing with some really affordable cockpit modules, so props to them.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 21, 2024

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

froody guy posted:

Really? I thought they were pretty much all the same, probably Winwing on the lower end of the spectrum but tbh it's the package I like the most, being 'the package' the sum of Throttle + Grip + Base for the grip. Personally I like Virpil the most but the throttle seems a bit... lacking. VKB throttle also seems a bit too much 3dprinted in somebody's garage. Winwing also has more choices in terms of grips for DCS as you can choose the F15EX (2 variants) F16 and F18. Software wise (easy of use, customization, profiles...), I don't know but it's for sure something I'll consider as well.

Besides, Winwing is coming to the A320 crowd in full swing with some really affordable cockpit modules, so props to them.

Not really.
But we must do battle for peripheral supremacy at all time! All else is shame and ignominy.
And also, Virpil > all. :D

More seriously, they all offer slightly different things. Mix-and-match vs bang-for-buck vs 1:1 representation vs sensible software vs upgradability vs compatibility with other parts vs availability vs etc etc etc. The thing that sets them apart from the next tier down — build quality and programmability — is a far larger deciding factor in terms of what you should send your money on than what sets them apart from each other. That's really where the premium in the price goes once you go beyond the old guard (TM, Logitech and their various sub-brands mostly).

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

If you think back in the days (like 2012 days, when the space game that shell not be named was pre-launched), when all these grip&throttle galore was only a wet dream in some simmer's brain, there was one and only one premium choice and that was the warthog. And it looked outrageously expensive and overkill. It costed about the same as today.

So, looking at all you can buy today with 500 of today's dollars, man it's a lot!!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just discovered Little nav map, and getting it installed I get an error that the save directories cannot be created, presumably due to account control. Windows security centre advises that it blocked actions.

So I run it as an admin, and I still get the same error. Any idea what I am missing? I'm sure it's something dead nuts easy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

slidebite posted:

I just discovered Little nav map, and getting it installed I get an error that the save directories cannot be created, presumably due to account control. Windows security centre advises that it blocked actions.

So I run it as an admin, and I still get the same error. Any idea what I am missing? I'm sure it's something dead nuts easy.

Make sure that the parent directories are not marked "Read Only" is my only guess there.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

And watch Jonathan Beckett tutorials. LNV is such a great tool.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Is it trying to write to /Program Files/? Try installing it in another location, e.g. C:/LittleNavmap/ or something.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I was wondering... how do my fellow airgooners deal with VATSIM policy of registering and using your real life name and credentials on their servers? I find it absolutely out of the ordinary and borderline illegal in times where your 'online persona' is becoming almost as important, if not more important, than your physical one. Afaik IVAO has the same policy and to make the matter even worse, a bunch of other online services ask you to register under (or link) your vatsim/ivao account.

Wtf is wrong with these online simmers of the feckin 21 century? Are they waiting for somebody to get killed because he parked his 737 where someone else wanted to park his A320 and 'I WAS ASSIGNED THE SLOT FIRST'!!!??? Or because ATC put somebody onto a holding pattern while he totally had to land asafp because wife yelled at him requesting to report for duty?

These are dangerous times, who ain't got time for that relinquish-your-online-privacy poo poo?

froody guy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Did you try simply lying to them? It's often quite effective.