Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Looks like a lot of the POIs are famous bridges. There are also a number of national landmarks (both man made and natural) added and some aviation related stuff (Kennedy Space Center, Wright Brothers landmark, plane graveyard in the desert).

Once you download the USA pack they all show up on the world map.

From Reddit:

quote:

Airports

KATL – Atlanta International

KFHR – Friday Harbor

KDFW – Dallas / Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)

KSWF – New York Stewart International Airport

Points of Interest

Chimney Rock

Crazy Horse Memorial

Pilgrim Monument, Provincetown MA

Fort Jefferson

Washington Monument, Washington DC

Capitol, Washington DC

White House, Washington DC

Wright Brothers National Memorial

Mount Rushmore

Biltmore Estate

Devils Tower

New River Gorge Bridge

United States National Arboretum

Bixby Creek Bridge

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Mackinac Bridge

Navajo Bridge

Astoria-Megler Bridge

U.S. Grant Bridge

Lowry Avenue Bridge

Lewis and Clark Bridge

The Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge

Fort Knox

Monument Rocks National Natural

Coronado Heights Castle

Ellis County Courthouse

Monument Valley

Yosemite El Capitan

Cliff Palace, Mesa Verde, Colorado

Shiprock, New Mexico

Haystack Rock at Canon, Oregon

Half Dome, Yosemite

Dworshak Dam

Hoover Dam

Oroville Dam

Alcatraz (water tower and lighthouse only)

Fort McHenry, Baltimore

Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls

Glen Canyon Dam

Las Vegas Strip (Night)

Confederation Bridge

Johnson Space Center Houston (visitor’s center)

Kennedy Space Center Florida (visitors center)

Pearl Harbor, Hawaii (memorial site)

Mauna Kea Observatory, Hawaii

National Radio Astronomy Observatory

Gulf of Mexico, Oil Rigs

Airport Graveyard, Tucson

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Can you fly under those bridges?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uXs posted:

was about to post this

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mllaneza posted:

Tiny Steam update, 12.75 MB updater download with a lot of small files patched. 4.24 GB from the marketplace for the USA update.
Weird, it's 252MB here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It says they put in Glen Canyon Dam and Navajo Bridge, so I will be checking those out as soon as this 11 gigs is done.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Promo image includes the wrong drat jets at the satellite terminal at KDFW. Immersion RUINED.

EDIT: No, you cannot fly over the hoover dam and under the bridge. Collided with object.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 24, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Combat Pretzel posted:

Weird, it's 252MB here.

It's showing that way for me now. Display glitch I guess.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Weird, it's 252MB here.

12.75GB here. Maybe they patched some premium content?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Soy Division posted:

12.75GB here. Maybe they patched some premium content?
The 252MB was just Steam. I just started the game, and another 13GB here, too.

God, I hope they finally hook up fiber to that new VDSL remote optical platform 20m from my house. Those mandatory big updates are painful, if you just want to do a quick flight.

--edit:
"Streetlights of smaller streets and roads should now be displayed more randomly"

I guess they heard my incessant bitching about too uniform lights.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I made the mistake of turning on AP with a selected altitude of 2,000ft while half-way through the East Coast discovery tour and at 3,500ft - the plane immediately nosedived and came apart. I'm hoping that type of poo poo can't happen in real life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SuperTeeJay posted:

I made the mistake of turning on AP with a selected altitude of 2,000ft while half-way through the East Coast discovery tour and at 3,500ft - the plane immediately nosedived and came apart. I'm hoping that type of poo poo can't happen in real life.

That's not very typical, I'd like to make that point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 252MB was just Steam. I just started the game, and another 13GB here, too.

God, I hope they finally hook up fiber to that new VDSL remote optical platform 20m from my house. Those mandatory big updates are painful, if you just want to do a quick flight.

--edit:
"Streetlights of smaller streets and roads should now be displayed more randomly"

I guess they heard my incessant bitching about too uniform lights.

I can't get full download speeds in the in-game Flight Sim downloader anyways, so it wouldn't really matter if I could get fiber optic to my house. :smithfrog:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think my patch is hanging. I'm at 106/152 and it gets to 30-50% on this one file and then flashes "please wait" and starts it over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, it just straight up gets to 50% of this one file, cancels it and starts over repeatedly. Great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

That's not very typical, I'd like to make that point.
Well how is it untypical?

SuperTeeJay posted:

Alpenglow posted:

For anyone on the fence about FS 2020 due to lower end hardware, I'm enjoying autopilot hurling my plane groundward at a much higher subjective performance than expected with a 2 gig gtx960 and 46xx i5. It feels smoother than full detail FSX most of the time. Using 70% render scaling with TAA wizardry looks great at 2560x1080 with low/medium settings at 40fps.

The autopilot randomly deciding that FL100 means FL0 on activation is a little offputting though.
Uhh guys I'm starting to think they might not have any digital controls people on the team.

Altitude change is the textbook example of a feed forward control (Garmin) or cascade control (jet liner flight rules that manage IAS and junk for you). A regular control loop looks at the process variable and directly sets a control variable to try and reach the process variable. This is like altitude hold: you'd plug in a altitude and it would directly control your elevator until you reach that altitude. This is dangerous when you aren't already at your altitude because outside disturbances can build up error in even the best PID tuning until your controller says full elevator down/up.

Feed forward means the altitude control doesn't get to directly control the elevator. Instead you have a V speed controller in Vs mode or an IAS controller in FLC mode. The altitude control loop requests the services of the elevator controllers such that you are controlling the elevator to keep a safe V speed or IAS at all times on your way to the new altitude.

Cascade control let's it control another property of the plane dynamics as a control variable. I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about the flight rules in the jet liners but the basic idea is based on what altitude you need to get to and where your autothrottle is stuck, it figures out a decent IAS or Vs and plugs it into the elevator controllers which now controls your speeds on your level change.

All in all when your altitude error is high it's safely isolated from elevator control where more appropriate controllers can run the elevator. When you're just on an altitude hold, the error tends to be small and it can direct control the elevator without throwing you out of the sky.

"Autopilot can't throw you out of the sky" is like priority #1 of airplane digital controls so that they can't manage that simple idea for the last 5 months is... Illuminating.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The problem isn't that the control loops are bad (although they are, LNAV will still hunt on radio navaids but everything else is more or less tolerable in the latest patches)

The problem is that the actual cockpit interface to the autopilot is broken. If you activate FLC on the ground it will set your target altitude to be the ground irrespective of whatever altitude bug you have. Which will of course lawn dart your plane as soon as you switch on AP shortly after takeoff.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sapozhnik posted:

The problem isn't that the control loops are bad (although they are, LNAV will still hunt on radio navaids but everything else is more or less tolerable in the latest patches)

The problem is that the actual cockpit interface to the autopilot is broken. If you activate FLC on the ground it will set your target altitude to be the ground irrespective of whatever altitude bug you have. Which will of course lawn dart your plane as soon as you switch on AP shortly after takeoff.
That's the thing though, a Vs or a IAS controller doesn't have the authority to take the elevator anywhere interesting even if your altitude error is -1000. Grounding out the elevator in any direction shouldn't be in the cards here unless you are setting Vs or IAS outside your envelope and that's your error at that point.

Occasionally someone pops in like "oh that's what Vs means" but there's a ton of people setting their level change up right and the planes falling out of the sky, not least because the elevator controller built error based on stick input at one point. I think that was fixed a while ago but poo poo I don't trust the autopilot to do anything at this point to try.

E. especially if you mean you set your IAS for an FLC and it lawn darts with IAS error of 5-10 knots, lawn darting immediately builds error it should level out from which means the IAS controller is hosed if it doesn't figure out oh wait GENTLE

E.e. realistically if you set your FLC IAS controller to Vx or Vy and you have your throttle at 100% like a good little boy or girl taking off, the elevator controller shouldn't be able to find it in itself to nose down.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 24, 2020

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

This is fixed in the Working Title G1000/G3000 mods (for me anyway). There's really no reason not to use them, they're great.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

It's been a while since I've played, updated everything and am still a bit disappointed.
Crashed twice on me when trying to take off from YVR and then when it finally didn't crash I found out that Vancouver is no longer photo-realistic for buildings, and it kinda looks like poo poo. Anything I can do to fix why it's not pulling the photo-realistic data for the city?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Messadiah posted:

It's been a while since I've played, updated everything and am still a bit disappointed.
Crashed twice on me when trying to take off from YVR and then when it finally didn't crash I found out that Vancouver is no longer photo-realistic for buildings, and it kinda looks like poo poo. Anything I can do to fix why it's not pulling the photo-realistic data for the city?

Check your data settings, they might have randomly flipped off the photogrammetry option.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uXs posted:

Yes, kind of!

There was still a weird squeak and the plane shook and hit the ground when I flew through it one way, but the other way it was fine. Clearly not perfect but at least they are recognizing that you can actually fly under bridges in real life. Maybe they will keep improving it. Niagara Falls looks pretty good, incidentally.

Of course most bridges still look like this. Idk why they can't just extrude the roadbed and leave it empty underneath. It's really not that hard

Also they did put in the visitor's center at Cape Canaveral, and it looks neat,

but all of the actual space launch facilities are still generic brick shithouses where the launch pads should be. Look at the VAB. Look what they did to my boy

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Shipon posted:

Check your data settings, they might have randomly flipped off the photogrammetry option.

Ugh yep that was it. Thanks

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, kind of!

There was still a weird squeak and the plane shook and hit the ground when I flew through it one way, but the other way it was fine. Clearly not perfect but at least they are recognizing that you can actually fly under bridges in real life. Maybe they will keep improving it. Niagara Falls looks pretty good, incidentally.

Of course most bridges still look like this. Idk why they can't just extrude the roadbed and leave it empty underneath. It's really not that hard

Also they did put in the visitor's center at Cape Canaveral, and it looks neat,

but all of the actual space launch facilities are still generic brick shithouses where the launch pads should be. Look at the VAB. Look what they did to my boy

Huh. When I flew by the VAB right after the game launched it was a big building. Not detailed but correct size. The "high rationalization" they added this patch must have shrunk it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah, Shortly after launch I flew over the VAB and other than looking like an office building it had believable dimensions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
After downloading 51GB of data, I finally have the 12 GB update and 4GB USA update. After all that, Glen Canyon dam is about 300 feet higher than it should be. And procedural bridges seem to still be in the world, there's just a handmade bridge placed on top of it. I guess I'm being nitpicky but I reserve the right to be considering I started trying to update 12 hours ago.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
To be fair, I don't think you're being nit picky. To not be able tofly under bridges is pretty poo poo to be honest. I've been able to do it in every flight sim since the 80s. I understand the procedurally created ones it's a bit difficult but when you're handmaking them it's a crazy choice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has anyone's update speeds increased dramatically? The 12GB patch and the USA update was going at acceptable speeds when before it was slower than all hell. Probably the best part of this update to be honest.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Some exciting new product announcements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTnjtS8hHFU

They say the new rudder pedals are coming mid 2021 and they're developing a flight stick and throttle module that will be compatible with the new Xbox and that they if I understood it correctly all current flight stuff should be Xbox compatible as well.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

My game pass version isn't updating... I don't even know how to debug this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What is it doing?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Cojawfee posted:

What is it doing?

Well it runs like normal but I don't have the latest version. I can't use the new USA update either. It downloaded but it needs the latest FS version to run.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Have you tried updating through the Microsoft Store? A lot of my UWP apps won't update themselves unless I open the store and force it to look and download updates. poo poo is stupid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah it could be that you need to open the xbox app and get an update there.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

None of those things are working unfortunately, I think I'll just reinstall it overnight.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Last update I had to go into the in-game content manager and re-tick everything to actually force it to download some update files. Might be worth a shot if you haven't begun re-installing yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah same. I wouldn't have noticed that if people hadn't been saying they were downloading 12 giga and I only saw 8 in the initial download.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

VR is going to be released soon, free for all devices.
https://twitch.tv/videos/815451663?t=2150s

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

40% trim up on an 787 flying 320 knots IAS, is that supposed to be normal?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am not a 787 pilot but doesn't sound all that normal. How are your fuel tanks balanced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

good luck trying to read your instruments in VR