Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

good luck trying to read your instruments in VR

accurate

just started playing dirt rally 2.0 in vr, and it is so awesome ... but no way can i read any of the gauges. thankfully i don't care how fast i'm going, gonna drive into a tree no matter what.

maybe asobo can implement a squint button that zooms and focuses for reading gauges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
what vr headset are you using?

ive mostly been using a quest 2 in dcs with the su-25t and haven't had any trouble reading the instruments except the tiny little munition-type analog letter indicator on the weapons panel

Goast fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 27, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sagebrush posted:

I am not a 787 pilot but doesn't sound all that normal. How are your fuel tanks balanced?
Default configuration, I have to check later today. I could swear it has the left and right tanks filled and the center one empty. I suppose it’s that then?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

good luck trying to read your instruments in VR

There has in fact been new headsets released since 2016.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

good luck trying to read your instruments in VR...if you have a gen 1 headset (HTC Vive OG, Oculus Rift/Quest/whatever it was called)

Fixed

If you have a WMR or any of the gen 2 (Quest 2, Vive Cosmos/Pro/Dong, Index) you should be good.

The difference in instrument clarity between OG Vive and my Lenovo Explorer (WMR) was night and day.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 27, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah it's a *lot* better on new sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-QfaV9TntQ

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The G2 is nearly indistinguishable from a monitor. You still get blurring towards the edges of the display, but that’s due to the optics, not the resolution of the headset.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Plus if it’s anything like Xplane it had a “squint”/zoom feature as mentioned. Excited for my Reverb, whenever it ships. Happy to be out of the Oculus ecosystem now that they want you to have a Facebook account, lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I can barely read the gauges on 2D lol. If I zoom in I lose situational awareness outside.

But then again for civil aviation, I should probably stop worrying about what's out there anyway, although landing with the instruments visible would be nice.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

skooma512 posted:

I can barely read the gauges on 2D lol. If I zoom in I lose situational awareness outside.

But then again for civil aviation, I should probably stop worrying about what's out there anyway, although landing with the instruments visible would be nice.

Having a 2nd monitor and being able to pop gauges and panels out into it is probably one of the best things about MSFS for me. Even if I'm flying a visual approach, being able to just glance across and see my airspeed & sink rate is so much quicker and easier than panning the camera around, it's genuinely been a revelation for me.

My dumb car has the speedo in the middle of the dash, so it's already second nature for me to be glancing left for that info. :shobon:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jammyozzy posted:

My dumb car has the speedo in the middle of the dash, so it's already second nature for me to be glancing left for that info. :shobon:

Mini?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Renault (Sport!) Twingo :mmmhmm:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TrackIR or a homebrew alternative really is clutch for flying with situational awareness. Being able to quickly glance at your instruments and then back out the window is huge. It's honestly a more suitable alternative to VR for most people anyway.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

TrackIR or a homebrew alternative really is clutch for flying with situational awareness. Being able to quickly glance at your instruments and then back out the window is huge. It's honestly a more suitable alternative to VR for most people anyway.

From the last thread, I’ve been using SmoothTrack as a super effective lower cost alternative to a full TrackIR setup (assuming you already have a compatible smart phone). It really makes such a difference.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

londonmoose posted:

From the last thread, I’ve been using SmoothTrack as a super effective lower cost alternative to a full TrackIR setup (assuming you already have a compatible smart phone). It really makes such a difference.

This is true, SmoothTrack plus opentrack works a treat in FS2020, and is only $5 between them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’ll third that. SmoothTrack is really good. I switched from x-plane in VR to MSFS on a monitor and if SmoothTrack wasn’t available I probably wouldn’t have switched.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Had a weird problem I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction towards fixing.

I haven't plaed MSFS2020 for a while so I thought I'd boot up and play. I bought it via Steam and launched it. Steam did its thing fine but when it opened the program where I expected it to run the MSFS updates it gave me a weird error and then presented me with a window to log in to my xbox live account. I didn't use xbox live in any way to get MSFS, and even if I did, the window doesn't actually let me click on the button (or use any keyboard commands) to actually try and log in to an xbox live account. It just spins its wheels, not updating, until I forceably close it.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction to fixing it? I've done a bit of googling but not turned up anything helpful.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just tried out Smoothtrack and there seems to be quite a delay from when I move my head to when it moves in game. Makes it kinda pointless, it also got a lot worse when I minimized the app on my phone to check a text and brought it back up. No idea. Maybe I'll give it another go later.

Carth Dookie posted:

Had a weird problem I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction towards fixing.

I haven't plaed MSFS2020 for a while so I thought I'd boot up and play. I bought it via Steam and launched it. Steam did its thing fine but when it opened the program where I expected it to run the MSFS updates it gave me a weird error and then presented me with a window to log in to my xbox live account. I didn't use xbox live in any way to get MSFS, and even if I did, the window doesn't actually let me click on the button (or use any keyboard commands) to actually try and log in to an xbox live account. It just spins its wheels, not updating, until I forceably close it.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction to fixing it? I've done a bit of googling but not turned up anything helpful.

Have you tried logging into the Xbox App by itself before launching the game? Does that work?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Is there a way to put on an axis multiplier on smoothtrack? By default the yaw is 1:1 and for looking at things that aren't within 30 degrees of the nose it's really quite annoying.

Maybe I need to monkey around with the settings or something but in comparison with VR, it's really not the same. Even disregarding ~immersion~ it's just a lot less intuitive and more prone to getting decalibrated in disastrous ways. I'm able to read the dials though, so that's a plus.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I haven't used smoothtrack, but other head-tracking software lets you assign custom multipliers and even non-linear curves to the axes. Setting those up right is a critical part of getting the tracker working well.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

sigher posted:

I just tried out Smoothtrack and there seems to be quite a delay from when I move my head to when it moves in game. Makes it kinda pointless, it also got a lot worse when I minimized the app on my phone to check a text and brought it back up. No idea. Maybe I'll give it another go later.

Have you tried logging into the Xbox App by itself before launching the game? Does that work?

That's the curious thing; I can't even find any xbox app on my computer.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know how well VR would work if you have a ton of buttons to press and don't have muscle memory for them without needing to look at your yoke/stick

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Shipon posted:

I don't know how well VR would work if you have a ton of buttons to press and don't have muscle memory for them without needing to look at your yoke/stick

I tend to find that if I don’t already have the muscle memory necessary to find the buttons in VR, I probably don’t remember what the buttons do by actively looking at them either, if that explanation makes sense.

There is a weird kind of transition between “hands on flight controls” and “VR hands to flip switches” but imo it’s not any weirder than switching to the mouse and flicking stuff. Generally I bound all of my major controls for high workload scenarios to my joystick, which were really only a handful of things, then left the rest for VR hands for periods when I had the luxury.

As with anything in VR, your personal experience with this could range from “I won’t even consider a flight sim without VR a real simulator” to “if someone else even thinks about VR it’ll ruin my sim experience.” :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sum posted:

Is there a way to put on an axis multiplier on smoothtrack? By default the yaw is 1:1 and for looking at things that aren't within 30 degrees of the nose it's really quite annoying.

Maybe I need to monkey around with the settings or something but in comparison with VR, it's really not the same. Even disregarding ~immersion~ it's just a lot less intuitive and more prone to getting decalibrated in disastrous ways. I'm able to read the dials though, so that's a plus.

Which software were you using on the PC side? I use open track on the PC side and with it you can define the bounds and the curves that each head motion takes. Personally I disable roll because it’s annoying, and I have it set up so if I look at my monitor’s edge I can see the end of that side’s wing. The further from the middle of the screen I’m looking at the more the camera moves to to that particular wing. It works out pretty well. Also add a tiny dead zone so you’re not picking up all the tiny movements your head makes when you’re at the center.

Shipon posted:

In x-plane you can pick up the VR hand controller and interact with the buttons in the cockpit just like you can with the mouse in MSFS. I haven’t seen the MSFS VR betas but I’d be shocked if they didn’t take that approach.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Which software were you using on the PC side? I use open track on the PC side and with it you can define the bounds and the curves that each head motion takes. Personally I disable roll because it’s annoying, and I have it set up so if I look at my monitor’s edge I can see the end of that side’s wing. The further from the middle of the screen I’m looking at the more the camera moves to to that particular wing. It works out pretty well. Also add a tiny dead zone so you’re not picking up all the tiny movements your head makes when you’re at the center.

In x-plane you can pick up the VR hand controller and interact with the buttons in the cockpit just like you can with the mouse in MSFS. I haven’t seen the MSFS VR betas but I’d be shocked if they didn’t take that approach.

That makes sense but if you have like a HOTAS and keyboard then not being able to see what you're doing with your hands seems like it would make it harder. I constantly have to look down and what I'm doing because I don't know the controls well enough through pure muscle movement.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Shipon posted:

That makes sense but if you have like a HOTAS and keyboard then not being able to see what you're doing with your hands seems like it would make it harder. I constantly have to look down and what I'm doing because I don't know the controls well enough through pure muscle movement.

That's on you then, hotas controls are made for being used without looking.

You could even put your bindings on a virtual kneeboard, that's going to be a lot more useful than looking down on a grey button trying to remember what target management switch right long would do.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I honestly don't even mind grabbing for the mouse in VR, I know where it is and I can reach it blindly, it works perfectly fine. And I can even peep through the nose opening at my keyboard, by raising the headset just a hair, if I need a rare button press. It certainly doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment and is absolutely worth it for being "in" the cockpit. I can't wait to try it in Flight Simulator!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Without a doubt the crappiest part about my entire Flight Sim Journey so far this year is buying a yoke, building a pc, then being unable to find a 3070 or 3080 card in stock anywhere on earth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

same

i'm still stuck at about 25-30fps, which is...fine...but yeah. pretty loving lame, nvidia

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I honestly haven't even played in a couple months because I was hovering in the 15-25 fps because the card I have as a placeholder is like 6 years old. I was really hoping we'd see a restock of cards around now but it seems like its just not going to happen til early next year.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are they gonna add trains to MSFS or what :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Are they gonna add trains to MSFS or what :colbert:

Microsoft use to make a train simulator. :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
i think i still have the CDs for MS train sim.

None of the PCs in our house have optical drives tho. I might could run it on my old laptop.

I think i have some old MS flight sim CDs too. Orange and green...

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
So I've been trying MSFS and I'm just not finding the actual stick and rudder flying much fun. Honestly, I was finding more enjoyment with FSX freeware aircraft and the A2A cub, which will at least snaproll and don't feel like a piece of winged lead pivoting around a single point. The graphics and presentation is great, though. Is current year Xplane/P3D worth a punt? Should I just get BoS and pretend to be a liaison pilot?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What sort of flying do you enjoy? What are you disliking about the MSFS planes? The Pitts Special will absolutely snap roll.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carth Dookie posted:

That's the curious thing; I can't even find any xbox app on my computer.

I wonder if that's the case, try and download it from the MS Store.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!

Sagebrush posted:

What sort of flying do you enjoy? What are you disliking about the MSFS planes? The Pitts Special will absolutely snap roll.

I like aerobatics/practicing manoeuvres, bush flying, and short VFR trips. Tubeliners/milsim isn't really my thing, but I do like WW2 style stuff, my dream sim would literally be BoS but with liaison aircraft functionality because it kinda mixes all those things up. I've already got the U-2 for that, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seems like FS2020 would be perfect for that stuff? The planes are more modern, which kind of annoys me too, but there are plenty of aerobatic planes and there isn't anything better for VFR or bush flying.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm trying to figure out how to mount my Yoke, on my desk the yoke itself is high, at chest level and isn't quite comfortable, plus it gets in the way from me using my keyboard on the desk. I was thinking about building a shelf that can tuck the yoke away under the desk but I can roll it out and lock it when I'm simming. However, at that level the yoke is basically too low and I can't actually turn the yoke the full 180 in either direction because it hits my legs even if I lower the chair as low as possible. Where is the yoke generally on a plane, chest level?

I'd like to have my desk free and the yoke able to be tucked under the desk easily but I'd also like the accuracy so... I think I'm basically stuck with a desk not meant for simming. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

sigher posted:

I wonder if that's the case, try and download it from the MS Store.

I might try that.

I found one Google search result that suggested that logging in and out of the store and Xbox companion app should fix my problem, but it didn't.