Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

I have a i5-9600K with no overclock, a 2080 super, with 32 gigs of 3000mhz memory.

I get smooth 45fps in VR with odyssey plus around mid tier cities and the bush. In huge cities, it is about 30 frames per second. Because of the reprojection, the 45fps feels perfectly smooth and the headset stays locked to it, and the 30fps is smooth-ish with some stutters as you turn your head a lot.

My render scale is 100 percent and settings medium-lowish with all car and boat and people traffic at 20%.

I have a very similar setup (same cpu and ram, 3060 ti) and found that I was able to bump the settings to high with 120% scaling and get very similar results. Since the game is so CPU bound, the difference between low and high settings is pretty minimal with a solid GPU.

One thing I found is that TAA is an absolute must. The game defaults to FXAA for VR but there's just so much shimmering and there seems to be some sort of shadow noise that gets locked to head orientation with FXAA.

I have a Rift S and while the experience was surprisingly good, even with the full stripe RGB display the resolution just wasn't high enough for details outside of the cockpit.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

So RE the USA update, is anyone noticing weird elevation artifacts? I can only think it's elevation issues.

This is about 20 or so miles west of Bozeman, MT the metropolis of Whitehall (MT41).

Also, for what it's worth, I have yet to have MSFS crash on me at all. 9900K and 1080ti.

Actually, that might be a lie, it may have once shortly after release - but other than that been super stable.

Yeah, I got that too but I can't remember where I was flying.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Rockybar posted:

VR in FS2020 is pretty insane. Granted I am getting something awful like 30ms frame times. It doesnt help that Im using virtual desktop to stream to a Quest 2. Still on a 2080TI/3700x so Id hope for a litttle better performance.

Flying over places you know is amazing. Taking off and climbing to 5000ft and then feeling like youre really up there, and leaning forward to read the dials. Its incredible. Wish it ran better as I cant go back to my 4K OLED now.

U can smoke weed a lot easier when your using your 4k oled. At least that;s how I feel...

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

So I find myself looking at picking up a 5120x1440 monitor

Will my 1080ti be able to power it "OK" or would I need something like a 3090 to have a hope?

It should be fine if you're ok with playing at 80% or so scaling with med-high settings

I have a 3060 ti which looks to be about equal in power and I'm playing on a 4k tv with 80%/high settings and it gets the usual 45 fps

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 29, 2020

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Shine posted:

I got trash performance with an 8700K at 4.9, an RTX 3080, and 32GB of RAM on an Index at 80hz and 80% rendering resolution and everything in low. I'll gently caress with settings at some point, but yeah, it's bad out the gate.

You should look at updating your drivers or something cause I found the game very playable in vr with 120% scaling and med/high settings. I have a Rift S and a core i5 9600k fwiw.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Found the problem, HDR has to be disabled. Not sure why this is relevant, but Flight Sim is a very broken game.

The good news is HDR is broken anyway and the game rarely looks better with it on.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I'm using a Gravis Gamepad (with the joystick screwed in of course)

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Zero One posted:

The game is really CPU limited.

Yeah. I have an i5 9600k and a 3060ti and I run the game at 4k with 80% scaling, all settings on high with ultra clouds and I get... 45 fps, just like everyone else.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

JayKay posted:

I spent my weekend disassembling my Bravo Throttle Quadrant to fix the first throttle axis (the speed brake/one closest to the trim wheel) after it broke.

I'll post my write up later but I'll just say I have some serious concerns about longevity when it comes to this thing.

That’s a real bummer for something that costs $250 and came out like 4 months ago

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Squiggle posted:

And if you didn't click through to the stream, that was at Ultra graphics preset with a 4k renderscale of 40 flying over Manhattan. They mention they've put glass cockpits on its own thread, and done work around airports to reduce the CPU load there specifically.

I am cautiously very excited.

EDIT: July 27th release

The only thing really worrying is that a 40% render scale of 4K is sub 1080p. Obviously the results speak for themselves, but still…

Edit: and of course someone beat me to the punch

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't 1080p 25% of 4K?

Yes, of course, but in this game it’s percentage of the width and height pixel values.

Edit: I need to stop posting from my phone

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I'll be driving through eastern Ontario in July if you're anywhere near there

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

https://youtube.com/shorts/7t4kDcVFnXU?feature=share

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yeah this has been the big thing for me with Flight Sim, is just getting a stable acceptable frame rate during take off, and landing. With the introduction of DLSS finally added, this issue is fixed, even on my 2070 I no longer have problems.

What CPU do you have?