Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Here to huff jet a and drink 100LL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vr chat:

I have no issues in iracing or games where you move with teleportation. If it's a stick controlled 'walk' I'll start getting motion sick pretty quickly

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Trip report: I do not think there is thunder and lightning everywhere. I haven't tested autopilot to see if its hosed still, but this bodes well for me wanting to fly again!

wait finally no clear skies lighting.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so hey in neofly can I transport an airplane to a spesific airport somehow, if I click connect and fly I get a warning about selecting a mission.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, if you go to your hangar and right click on the airplane there should be an options to "Bring to pilot location". You pay a bit of cash and it'll move to wherever your pilot is.

I'm at the same spot as my plane.

edit: now I see it, there's a "set pilot position to" and you can click "fly" and fly there

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 22, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is there a decent ATC mod for MSFS? (aside from the live ones)?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MrYenko posted:

This is also a solid option.

yeah this is a real good idea

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

on that note.. The Beech 1900 was one of my favorite planes in FSX any recommendations for a replacement since no one's made it for MSFS yet.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah I've been hoping it's been awhile tho youknow.. I may pick up the 110.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I finally picked up the M20R Ovation from the store now that Carenado fixed its fuel selector, and it's a fun old plane! The proto-Garmin is a fun limitation to work through, but it's nice to have alongside the steam gauges. It's finicky about fuel flow and temperature at startup, so I kept killing the engine at idle speeds. Reminds me of IL-2 planes.

I've also mostly figured out ILS (so THAT'S what that alarm sound was when I came in for landings!), but I can't quite tell why sometimes when I hit AP with APR mode enabled my altitude seems to stick, or the glideslope is otherwise misaligned and I don't drop right. I do seem to line up with the runway, but then have to bail on the APR when I'm not actually losing any altitude. ALT hold is off, but I'm also landing in kinda rinky-dink places most of the time, so I wonder if they're just misconfigured in-game for that approach. It's been fun looking up and learning to read actual airport diagrams, though.

I'm not 100% sure but I've had issues with non ILS automatic pilot landings.. if it's not ILS I use the NAV glideslope and just you know.. fly 'er in manually.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I second the logitech one. It's pretty cool.

this is on my birthday list becuase I had boring stuff on it and was told I needed more fun poo poo for my kids to pick from.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sashimi posted:

MSFS is on sale on Steam and I'm probably going to pull the trigger, but I'm wondering if my PC is up to the task. I'm running a 1070 and i5 7600K @ 1440. Will I have a chance at running it at a decent frame rate without resorting to potato-level detail settings?

You're gonna want to run it at 1080. I had a 1070 and running it at 1080 got me okayish framerates. No clue how things.habe improved.

My 3060 gets me 30 frames @1440.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Your log works? Mine never shows the complete flight when I shut it off it just shows the log and a blank record

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dev mode enabled?

Yeah so I can keep an eye on fps.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Said no one ever

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is there any chance that MSFS will have good ATC in it's next release.. I generally just ignore it.. I tried again today and I kept bouncing between NY and Potomac over and over and over ./
Salad 420 Six Niner.. please contact NY Center..
Salad 420 six niner please contact Potomac Approach
Salad 420 Six Niner.. please contact NY Center..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wolfy posted:

Doubtful.

rip.. xplane had decent ATC but MSFS is so much prettier.. (unless the latest xplane is better now)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bedurndurn posted:

Did it? Back when we were doing the OnAir goon team poo poo the xplane ATC directed me right into mountains of Alaska frequently enough that I stopped tuning into them at all.

Oh yes.. I do remember that.. Gilded glasses on the past I guess. I seem to remember being told to go into the ground too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm with you. I want the beech 1900 but it Seems to not exist for new flightsim, it existed for msfsx

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bringing back .. Knobby buttons chat:

I got the Razer Streamdeck to try with MSFS. (Rebranded Loupedeck Live but $50 less). And it's really nice, Probably not $200 nice but it's cool to be able to set alt/vs etc with dials, you can use dials for radio numbers as well (laid out weird)

The real reason it's most likely going to go back is the following: I wanted to use it for more than just flight sim but their software cannot differentiate between "L-Ctrl and R-Ctrl (or other modifiers). I had some wishes for doing things in other games like Arma require L/R alt/shift etc.

I just ordered the Elgato Stream deck which has less buttons (but they're physical buttons) so we will see how well that plays with MSFS, (it does use left/right alt etc) and seems to be able to handle a little more complexity when it comes to scripting the buttons. .

I'm pretty sure my impressions are solely for MSFS it'll the Streamdeck will be better since there's 6 knobs vs 3 and 12 buttons vs 8. But we'll see how I feel once it gets here.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Getoutnow posted:

Anyone posted about Legendary Pilots yet? An upcoming sim-lite that might be worth keeping an eye on.

Nope, looks neat, wishlisted

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hmm is it time to update my hardware at incredible cost to support high end flight sim graphics and then fly 20 hours the entire year? maybe

don't forget start your flight and go do something while the flight happens and come back and gently caress the landing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wait... Msfs has atc, is that the thing that always just says salad four two zero six none acknowledge last transmission and then go quiet?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

So I have full, boxed copies of most flight sims since the mid 90s (Janes, F4, DiD, Imagic, pretty much everything). Not every sim, but probably 90% of them.... and other games before Steam became the defacto standard.

I am pretty anal with keeping boxes and manuals mint, but drat, they're taking up a non-zero amount of space. Other than dumping it, ideas what to do?

I have no idea if anything has any "value" - do people collect stuff like that?

It might have value, check completed auctions on e-bay or maybe like some other sites.. I know that folks like Lazy Game Revies enjoy boxed copies of software, and that there' money in boxed vintage console games.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Be han solo, land on the taxiway.

Beaten

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Beyond atc seems real nice based on all the YouTube stuff I've seen

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bentai posted:

Just waiting for them to drop a subscription price point.

then I'm out and fuckem.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I picked up a Stream Deck to get myself some extra buttons while using the honeycomb yoke, and ho boy is this another massive thing to learn about and endlessly tinker with. Not...quite as easy to set up as I expected.

yeah I got a stream deck and loupe deck to gently caress with both.. they both went back to amazon.. they're neat but neither one does everything prefect.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wolrah posted:

I have a Loupedeck since I wanted the knobs and I mostly prefer the hardware (though I wish the square buttons were actually buttons) but the software is painful. Crashes regularly, the Hue integration can't handle a computer going to sleep, and there's very little software support outside of media production apps. The Stream Deck software ecosystem looks a lot more complete.

Problem for me is loupe deck software doesn't allow left/right modifier keys so my main things I wanted to use it for were Flight sim.. and Arma. It's useless for Arma. so 270 it just wasn't worth it for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Microsoft. My wmr headset has sat in it's case for awhile but there's no reason to nerf it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Problem I have with the quest is the battery drains while plugged into the PC which is bullshit. But I also don't wanna spend 1000 on a vive.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zero One posted:

https://www.beyondatc.net/pricing

$60 + ongoing purchases of credits unless you only want the basic computer voice.

Reminder that VATSIM is free.

hmmmmmm probalby a litttle more steeper than I thought.. not completetely off the chain.. and I'm fine with basic comptuerboxes.. it's still probalbyi 1000% better than the ATC voice in MSFS
any idea if they expect it to work with 24?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Well I made an account at Vatsim. I remembered the actual reason why I didn't use it earlier: they want to know your drat name and that goes against every internet instinct I have.

I passed their dumb test and hopped onto the network but couldn't find anyone in my area - luckily the local players are very organized and have published a calendar with daily operating hours.

Unfortunately I was immediately banned because they don't believe that "Lord Stimperor" is an actual irl name. Maybe I should photoshop a utility bill or something.

I'll probably sign up again this weekend with a more plausible name. Bentai kindly offered to show me around a bit.

I'm also considering actually using my real name since you can put your irl license in there. I mean participating in what amounts to a club for practicing procedures shouldn't be a stigma when you eventually get doxxed right? But I don't knowz it's just so weird.

Imagine iracing that publishes your real deal name... Luckily my name is essentially Joe Smith.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like beyond atc has updated it's pricing

quote:

New Pricing Model. Same incredible ATC.

Price Reduced from $60 to $30

Basic Voice Model now Free

Push to Talk now Free

Premium Model costs $10 about every 15-20 Flights

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I agree, I didn't think it was too nuts.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That looks neat

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Might have to hop in and vote

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I’d bet the overwhelming response of gamers (even simulation ones) is gimme gimme gimme but tbh I don’t think I’m as enthused without the traffic personally.

Gimme gimme gimme.. anything is better than msfs atc

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Bart Simpson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

froody guy posted:

I was just looking around and trying to figure out how's that in the online simmer community it was considered normal, and required, to use your personal info to login. Never seen anything like that before. It's still considered 'gaming' isn't it? So, what's the big deal about preserving your anonymity? Wait, is that now it's 'normal' to imply that if someone wants to preserve his anonymity online he as something to hide in rl?

Anyway, no big deal really. I'll keep using my fake account. Much ado about nothing.

sim racing also requires a real name.. no one's been murdered because of it, but wasn't there a WOW murder or Madden or something where a dad shot a guy for beating his son? No one even used the real name there.
I assume it's to boil down on asshattery just like it is in iRacing. (yes you can sign up with a visa gift card and pick a "fake name" but again if you pick Weedlord420 Boner69Hitler they'll ask for an ID, but if you want to be Homer Smith5 it's fine.

here's what it comes down to for you.
1. use your real name
2. if you don't want to use a fake name
2a. if you feel it's against the T&C to use a fake name dont play
3. Dont use it.