Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

VR performance is inversely proportional to how new the game is.

As far as race sims go iracing is by far the best VR experience and not only is it 11 years old itself, but its codebase has its roots in Grand Prix Legends (1998) and may actually still include some code from NASCAR Racing 2003.

Probably an exception to the rule, though, because otherwise I think your observation mostly holds up.

Theris fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

skooma512 posted:

It is a little better though. I can push the sim rate higher than before and even at max the diving might not destroy the plane.

At release I could do 8x no problem. A couple patches in and even 4x was pushing it, but now it's back to working fine at 8x.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Zero One posted:

Autopilot has been fixed in the second tutorial

I'm guessing that's for this:
https://twitter.com/halkyardo/status/1381384573855145984

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ethanol posted:

Unfortunately I cannot seem to edit the waypoints that get punched in when you select an arrival in the FMC MCDU, their buttons just don't react to anything, and when I try to direct to FOVES once I get there it tries to go back to HERRO and through those wonky turns. I don't really know how to read the plate correctly, I assume the opposite direction over HERRO is part of the holding pattern or easy way to find the localizer but not sure how to read it. But planes irl aren't doing that at all.

The default approach seems silly but it's actually correct. This is most easily visible on the vertical profile: HERRO(concurrent with the BT LOM/NDB) is the Initial Approach Fix for that approach. You really are supposed to hit HERRO first and fly at 326 away from the airport while descending to 2200, then turn around (a "procedure turn") and intercept the localizer.

The reason planes aren't doing this in real life is because they're getting vectors to the localizer from ATC, which overrides the instructions on the approach plate.

The "holding pattern" at HERRO is a missed approach fix. It's where you go hang out to wait for another approach clearance if you shoot a missed approach for whatever reason. Again, in real life, you're probably going to be following ATC instructions and not actually doing that.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 5, 2021

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So there's still some VR-specific shenanigans going on that I need to figure out.

Those shenanigans are that it's not rendering a single scene at 4320x2160, it's rendering two 2160x2160 scenes at slightly different angles. There are things it needs to do twice (CPU draw calls being the biggest problem, DX12 might help with that) that it doesn't have to do when rendering to a 4k monitor.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fired up MSFS for the first time in a year or so. Took the King Air out for a spin and the bug with the phantom waypoint that you can't get rid of any way but flying to when you load and activate an approach is still there. All the fixes and improvements they've made and this glaring bug that could have been caught before release by someone doing one single IFR flight hasn't been touched nearly two years later. I'm guessing they said gently caress it when they turned over glass cockpit development to Working Title but WT apparently isn't doing anything with the G3X anytime soon, and that sucks because I love the King Air. :(

At least the Caravan is great with the WT G1000.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Related to that, what the hell is taking them with implementing DX12? I've never seen a company have such trouble implementing DX12, particularly one that's partnered with the bloody company that created DX12.

Are there other games that were originally DX11 but made the switch to DX12 quickly and without bugs and performance issues? The ones I'm familiar with have had the same kind of issues as MSFS. If there are any that didn't, they're probably either on a commercial engine like Unreal and/or were doing DX12 development in the background for a long-rear end time without including it in public releases as "you can try this, but it probably won't be great" the way Asobo has.

DX12 puts the onus on the game/engine devs to do a lot of the optimization work that's handled by the GPU driver devs in DX11 (and earlier). That's why Intel ARC cards look reasonably competitive in DX12, but eat poo poo in DX11: Intel doesn't have the years of game/engine specific optimizations in their drivers that AMD and nVidia do. That doesn't matter for DX12, because the game devs have to do it themselves. It's a lot more time and effort, but ultimately probably worth it, especially a game with really complex geometry like MSFS.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

Which ones are these?

The new 7000 series. The 5800X3D is still quite a bit faster in MSFS, though. It will likely stay the best CPU for sims until the 7x00X3Ds release in six months or so.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Yeah as far as I've read, DLSS3 doesn't work in any VR game. I'm guessing because all VR platforms already have their own kinds of frame generation with ASW/Motion Reprojection/etc, then DLSS3 will interfere with that in various ugly ways.

I doubt you'll ever see DLSS3 supported in VR. VR specific frame generation/reprojection synthesizes a frame based on the previous actual rendered frame whenever the next rendered frame isn't going to be done in time to maintain the target framerate. DLSS3 needs the next actually rendered frame to already be done before it synthesizes a frame that goes between it and the prior actually rendered frame. That adds a lot of latency that can lead to motion sickness in VR.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Oooh this looks neat. MFS ATC is busted and I've mostly stopped trying to use it, and in Xplane 11 I don't think there was an ATC at all, and the mod I got to put one in didn't do anything.

MSFS ATC is actually pretty ok now. It's not perfect - still hasn't figured out that fast aircraft cruising at high altitudes need to start descending well before they reach their destination - but it's generally usable, which isn't something you could say about it more than a couple updates ago. Even does a pretty decent job handling lots of traffic injected by FSLTL.

I only use it while I'm getting familiar with a new plane, though, otherwise I'm on VATSIM. So, maybe I just haven't been using it enough to see any other problems it still has.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not sure who shat in the brains of the MSFS forum moderators, but it's hilarious to see them keep quelling "technical support" discussions in the third party add-on forum.

I gotta hand it to the MSFS forum for bucking the trend of a game's official forum always being the absolute worst place on the internet to discuss that game.

It's not great, but it's also not an unreadably toxic dumpster fire and it's possible to find useful information on it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Pitch oscillations seem worse than they've been for a while, (or at least occur at lower simrates) but I'm not seeing any roll oscillations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

azflyboy posted:

Supposedly Asobo is fixing that, since they're talking with MetoBlue to get more precise snow cover data to go with the weather.

The Q&A Livestream where they mentioned this was hilarious because they said something like "we read the forums religiously" and then almost immediately started talking about the snow cover issue with "we only recently heard about this."

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Checked it out, the runways are a bit ridiculous but otherwise... looks more or less right, depending on the day.

Large airports with hundreds of operations a day and a small city's worth of snow removal equipment still having completely snow covered runways several days after the most recent snowfall is the entire problem, yes. I do hope they don't overreact and make it so even small airports during snow have totally clear surfaces but I have very little confidence in Asobo wrt that sort of thing.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Are there any real airline livery mods that can be easily added to make AI Deltas Delta and Uniteds United? Also, is the E170/175 mod that just came out worth the $16.99? It seems like a steal compared to the CRJ-7/9/10 that's $50.

FSLTL adds liveries for every airline you can think of and probably a lot more you can't, as well as models for planes that aren't in the game. If you run the injector it comes with it will add a lot more AI traffic than the sim has by default, but it will also add the correct livery and model to the stock AI traffic if you don't want to bother with the injector. And, the installer you need for it will also give you the excellent FlyByWire A320 mentioned in the post above.

There are two E17(0/5)s that I know of. There's one by Virtualcol that's been out for a while and is probably what you're talking about given the price. Consensus seems to be that it's, uh, "appropriately priced." Like it isn't unplayable garbage but it's definitely not comparable to most of the planes that sell in the $50+ range. (Or the stock/freeware "$50 planes" like the A310, FBW A320 and WorkingTitle Cessna bizjets) The other is by Flightsim Studio and isn't out yet, but it will probably be $50+ and have the quality to match.

Theris fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 15, 2022

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Wolfy posted:

The PMDG 737 is also very good, and if you don’t care about having the 700 or 800 for your immersion, the 600 is an absolute steal.

It's also really cute. :3:

But I bought the 800 because I have terminal Flight Simmer Brain.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I installed both, sat for a few minutes at ATL, and saw a ton of Generic AI traffic in addition to Delta, Southwest, and United, some of which was fairly manic in its flying. Should I uninstall the injector?

If you're using the injector you should turn off the default AI traffic. In the general options tab set "Aircraft Traffic" type to off and Ground Aircraft Density to 0. You'll still occasionally get generic traffic from the injector if it's a type or airline it doesn't recognize or the data is incomplete, but if you're seeing a lot it's probably traffic being generated by the sim rather than live real world traffic from the sim or FSLTL.

Edit: There's a 757 in progress that looks promising: https://youtube.com/@bluebirdsim6044

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

^^ The FBW also has a custom pushback system on its EFB that is much more reliable than the one that works through the ATC menu

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 15, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

PMDG 737-900 dropped: https://pmdg.com/pmdg-737-900-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

I'm a little surprised it's only $49.99 whereas the -700 and -800 are $69.99. Introductory price?

Just guessing, but it could be because the -700 and -800 include passenger, cargo, and BBJ variants. The -900 is just two very slightly different regular passenger variants. They're also kind of rare IRL so realism nerds who want to replicate actual routes will be less interested, same reason the -600 is cheap.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 8, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It seems like every SU re-breaks/unfixes an old major bug that was fixed in a previous SU. Wonder what this one will be.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Steadiman posted:

found a fun one! Set up a flight from a gate or ramp, then add a departure or import a flightplan or, heck, even just change livery! Boom, you're starting on the runway with engines running now motherfucker! I could get back to a cold/dark gate start by removing the departure from the world map

Either that's a previous fix that got unfixed or it's just always been like that, because my workflow setting up a flight just assumes it's like that. I set up the options for the plane, load/create the flightplan, and only then select the gate/ramp parking spot. (from the dropdown! because clicking on it on the map will often - but not always - cause the sim to wipe your flightplan and replace it with whatever it autogens) Otherwise yeah you're starting on the runway whether you meant to or not.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

How I found out? Shot the RNAV 23L into TYS, the A/P put me way high on landing (SP12 glitch/bug, maybe?), on MSFS?

A lot of instrument approaches in the MSFS default nav database have the glidepath leading to the midpoint of the runway rather than the touchdown zone, so if you don't have Navigraph that might be the problem. If you do then I don't know what happened, I've done several flights in the 738 since SU12 dropped and haven't had anything like that.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

If you're building a general purpose gaming rig in April 2023 with anything other than an X3D, you're making a minor mistake that could maybe be handwaved with "I mostly use my computer for <productivity thing> that runs better on the CPU I picked" or "I had a bad experience with AMD in the past and I'm not comfortable with them" or whatever.

If you're building a computer in April 2023 that you plan to use specifically for MSFS more than very occasionally and you aren't using an X3D, you are making a huge mistake and there's no reasonable alternate explanation for it.

Edit: I should add that whatever scenario the tech sites use for benchmarking MSFS (I think it might be the default C172 flying over the Sahara with the external camera pointed at the sky considering the numbers some of them get) really undersells how good the X3Ds actually are for it. That ~30% advantage their benches show turns into a ~100% advantage in a high-fidelity airliner at a big airport with heavy traffic.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 19, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Doesn't ground handling suck with basically everything in the sim?

Yes! It is, imo, the single worst thing about MSFS. Incredibly rudimentary tire/ground interaction physics combined with what sometimes seems to be a different aerodynamics sim when a plane is on the ground makes for some really weird poo poo sometimes.

It also doesn't simulate beta range on turboprops which is super important for their ground handling. Some devs (ok, pretty much just Black Square) have hacky workarounds for it but idk if they did anything about it for the ATR.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I can't find it so maybe I just hallucinated it or I'm remembering something else I saw incorrectly, but I swear one of Asobo's pre-release preview videos was about how much effort they put into accurately simulating tire physics. Talked about how runway contamination like snow, ice, and standing water would affect steering and braking. It made perfect sense at the time because MSFS shares an engine with Forza Horizon, so maybe they adapted the tire sim from it.

2.5 years after the actual release, there is absolutely nothing like that in the sim.

I think my favorite thing is the magic speed that varies by aircraft where if you're .01kt under it the nosewheel sticks to the ground like glue and you can stand on the pedal and whip the plane into a super-tight circle, but if you're .01kt over it the nosewheel might as well be on ice.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Looks like there was discussion pre-release where people thought the rendering engine was based on Ftech and I was remembering that. (Would have been the same time period as the video about the tire physics, so that's where I must have formed the connection in my memory.)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Zero One posted:

Working Title is updating the 747 and 787.

Looking forward to WT showing PMDG that it is, in fact, possible to get the HUD runway outline aligned with the runway.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Mokotow posted:

All things considered, whatever way they’ll go, this seems like a lovely way of introducing everyone to FS24

It's spectacularly bad. It's such a blindingly stupid way to handle a launch that I assumed there was some kind of internal miscommunication and the community team had been caught by surprise and didn't have their posts with more info ready to go. But then one of them posted to the forums that they're "reading every post here and on other social media and we'll share more info in the future."

So apparently it was completely intentional.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They say they'll continue delivering their roadmap items for FS 2020, which is interesting. Are they gonna update both at the same time to keep parity, or will these versions diverge? Are we gonna end up in a situation where FS2020 has some features/official content that FS2024 lacks?

It will probably be a situation where the core sim is basically identical, with bugfixes and maybe even AAU/SU type feature additions/improvements going to both, but any new "content" like new free planes (A310 etc) will likely be '24 exclusive.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

You can assign the "decrease throttle" control to something to make a "hold button make plane slow down" control if you want. That's how I've got the reverser levers on my honeycomb bravo mapped and it works on the PMDG.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was watching an XP72 stream last night, and somebody had the electronic "whistle" sound you hear on some real aircraft ATC calls in the background. Is there some way to emulate that?

VATSIM has a hilariously complex radio sim that actually models attenuation and interference based on terrain and the position of planes and the ATC ground transmitter, so it might have been from that. It's also kind of buggy, so it might have been from that.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

None of these career mode things are on the XBox marketplace I take it.

They're all external windows apps so no

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Danith posted:

Another free career mode thing is FSE I think. I signed into it once and the UI was confusing and seemed to be geared towards running airline routes in big planes so I didn't really give it a chance.

It speaks to how dated and lovely the UI is that you actually thought that. The biggest planes it supports are the A320/737 and even then you can't own them and they can only be used on specifically designated missions, so you can't load an entire FBO worth of missions onto one plane. It's mostly the exact opposite of what you thought: flying handfuls of passengers or cargo (although cargo usually doesn't pay enough to be worth it) between airports you've never heard of, and buying and trading GA/bizjet sized planes to fly them in.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 20, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Make sure your gpu driver is up to date and you're in DX12 mode. DX12 is "beta" but it's much more stable than DX11 for many people.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bentai posted:

Still waiting for the Beechcraft Starship. :(

I'm constantly amazed that Black Square is one dude who puts out better stuff way faster than most add on devs with whole teams, but that won't stop me from being :mad: that the Starship still isn't out.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

This looks awesome and I hope it takes off mostly because I hope it spurs on these sim racing companies to product stuff for flight sim enthusiasts.

This is neat, but where FFB would really be helpful for flight controls is on the pitch axis, and unless I'm misunderstanding this would only have it on roll.

The patents that were blocking FFB flight controls only recently expired. I imagine it will be a couple years before we see affordable consumer grade stuff. And if it follows the same arc as wheels it will be another several years before the affordable consumer grade stuff is actually really good quality. Hopefully enough of the development already done on wheels applies to shortcut that a bit.

Edit: fixed typo :v:

Theris fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 13, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I wouldn't be even the slightest bit worried about an addon from a reputable dev not working with 24, and even captainsim-tier shovelware will probably be fine.

Not mentioned yet: The A2A Comanche is the absolute gold standard for piston GA add-ons, and the new FSReborn Piper Meridian M500 FSR500 is excellent.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rot posted:

EDIT: Forgot!! The Black Square mods for the Bonanza and Baron are super good too.

Everything they do is great. I can't personally vouch for the TBM850 because the FSR500 fills that niche for me, but I have an absurd number of hours in the Caravan, King Air, Bonanza, and Baron.

Had the center console (power stand/podium/whatever you call the thing the throttle prop and condition levers are on) flood light in the Caravan fail on me the other day and it didn't just not work when I tried to turn it on, it briefly came on and made a loud "POP" sound. Neat little detail.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

skooma512 posted:

They haven't. ETA: I was being a little dramatic.

2024 hasn't been released of course, and they've made overtures that everything will transition. Just don't know what that'll mean at release, let alone years down the line.

In the latest dev Q&A they mentioned that SU15 will include some physics improvements (notably, fuselages will have some flex now instead of being completely rigid, which apparently has a dramatic impact on ground handling) backported from 2024.

There's a lot more evidence that they're going to continue to support and improve 2020 than there is that they're going to EoL it immediately upon release of 2024, but that hasn't stopped most of the community from assuming that's what's going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rot posted:

Sorry for the repost but I didn't want anyone interested in the FSR500 to miss my birdstrike

I knew the failure modeling on the FSR500 was pretty deep but that's amazing.