Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shogunner posted:

Watching reviews for the TWCS throttle and everyone's saying it's slide function is notchy / not smooth. Any of you having the same issue?

Mine is a bit older, but yeah, it's not the smoothest movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Charles posted:

I saw somewhere the next world update is USA and you can apply to be a VR tester, but it requires a WMR headset.

There's going to be 2 phases of the VR Beta test, phase 1 is for people with a WMR headset (so basically nobody) and phase 2 is for anyone else. Though you're not guaranteed to get in which sucks, also I'm not sure if you can get into the VR beta if you have a Steam copy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I honestly have no clue how VR is going to handle since I can't even keep a steady 60 at decent settings. There must be some wizardry happening or they're just going to dumb everything down to as basic as possible in order for you to keep a steady, high frame rate.

Right now Star Wars Squadrons has VR performance issues and as fun as it is it's kinda nauseating for me. I know I'm not dogfighting in MSFS2020 but I'd still like the FPS to be as high as possible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Honestly, when the hell can we expect any Flight Sim Hardware to be in stock ever again? poo poo's getting ridiculous.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shine posted:

VKB North America has their stuff in stock, last I looked.

They only seem to have their own stuff, I'm in need of rudder pedals and a Honeycomb Yoke.

I actually have some pedals on order... but it's been 2~ weeks and they still haven't shipped.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah the yoke is super backordered at the moment. The throttle quadrant is even worse. They don't seem to be capable of meeting demand. Every time I go back to check they add another week of backordered units.

edit: This site claims it will get a shipment of yokes on or around october 19th: https://xforcepc.com/honeycomb.html

Thanks for the site, I placed and order so hopefully I'll see it ship by the end of October. Who knows at this point though. lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I have a first wave shipment of the throttle, and it's supposed to ship end of October but we'll see.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

soggybagel posted:

I've never seen a formal announcement from them but this tweet which was posted a couple weeks ago showed flight pedals from Honeycomb. I continue to be impressed with their yoke and if they can come into the market with pedals that slot between the low end and the high end like their other products I think that would be awesome.

https://twitter.com/flyhoneycomb/status/1312199488497352704?s=20

gently caress that's nice but sucks that it won't be out for a long while.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Finally got my Honeycomb Yoke, and god drat it owns... really weird using the flightstick throttle in conjunction with the Yoke but it'll do for now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sellouts posted:

https://twitter.com/MSFS_Support/status/1321927413853425664

Asobo continues to deliver. Sounds like it might be an issue with Fanatec rudder pedals.

I don't have any, but I CTD before getting into the main menu. RIP.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

It's completely baffling to me that the world map is just that huge gray blob instead of, like, I don't know, Bing maps aerial imagery maybe????

For a game that purports to be all about VFR, you'd think they would make it really easy to scroll around looking down on the world until you spot a cool lake or village or airport and then just drop into the flight simulator right above it. Or at least they'd put in a street map so you can find your house instead of having to google the airport code and work your way down the roads (which is fun too, but like...come on).

If I had my way the world map would have at least five layers: topographic shaded, aerial photos, street maps, VFR sectionals, and IFR charts. Also airports would be pink and blue icons like on FAA sectionals, not these invisible dots.

i'm thiiis close to downloading the SDK and starting to hack it apart myself. how hard can it be to put new textures on a sphere

I was curious about this as well, because like... wtf you get a pretty detailed view of the planet from a distance but the closer you get it just fades away for some reason. I understand that they couldn't just put all of Bing Maps in there since it'd be huge as gently caress but like... come on.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone have their flight sim gear on one of those purpose-built metal rigs that keep everything nice and solid? My Logitech Pro Flight pedals keep sliding around and it would be nice to not have to connect the yoke/throttle to the desk whenever I wanted to play. I've seen a couple of them on Amazon buy they're all pretty pricey, however it looks like they make the same type of thing for sim racing but they're a gently caress ton cheaper. Does anyone use one of the racing ones to save a buck? Is there any jank getting Flight Sim poo poo mounted to one?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the exact model/variant of the C172 in MSFS2020 (not the Glass cockpit one)? My lady wants to get me a proper checklist but needs to know the specific one I guess, she says the checklist in-game is dogshit, but I told her that it just says "Skyhawk" without a letter next to the name so I don't quite know. She also noticed there's several things different in the sim to the one that she flies IRL. I take it these things have variants up the rear end and are basically the VW Bug of the sky.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

It is a Cessna 172S with G1000. The premium edition bonus one is also a 172S but with regular avionics.

Thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

You mean the honeycomb doesn't even have a spring return on the ignition switch?? rofl smdh

Does any flight sim hardware do this? Seems like it wouldn't be worth the cost designing and implementing this when no other PC hardware ever uses something like this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BMan posted:

All the toggle switches on the X-55 throttle are momentary

Are they multi-stage like the ignition would require like this:

How much does that thing cost?

If it's already designed, I'm curious as to why they didn't use something like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So with the Reverb G2 already in consumer hands and me getting mine tomorrow and getting stoked as hell for it... when is the VR update? Did the VR beta ever roll out?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

VR support is in closed beta. Pretty sure you can sign up for it through the insider program.

Do I need the game on the MS store for that? Or is it a separate download to get into the testing? I have a Steam copy, so I assumed betas are being delivered to people who own the game on the MS Store at this point since the game is out now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has anyone's update speeds increased dramatically? The 12GB patch and the USA update was going at acceptable speeds when before it was slower than all hell. Probably the best part of this update to be honest.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Have you tried updating through the Microsoft Store? A lot of my UWP apps won't update themselves unless I open the store and force it to look and download updates. poo poo is stupid.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just tried out Smoothtrack and there seems to be quite a delay from when I move my head to when it moves in game. Makes it kinda pointless, it also got a lot worse when I minimized the app on my phone to check a text and brought it back up. No idea. Maybe I'll give it another go later.

Carth Dookie posted:

Had a weird problem I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction towards fixing.

I haven't plaed MSFS2020 for a while so I thought I'd boot up and play. I bought it via Steam and launched it. Steam did its thing fine but when it opened the program where I expected it to run the MSFS updates it gave me a weird error and then presented me with a window to log in to my xbox live account. I didn't use xbox live in any way to get MSFS, and even if I did, the window doesn't actually let me click on the button (or use any keyboard commands) to actually try and log in to an xbox live account. It just spins its wheels, not updating, until I forceably close it.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction to fixing it? I've done a bit of googling but not turned up anything helpful.

Have you tried logging into the Xbox App by itself before launching the game? Does that work?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carth Dookie posted:

That's the curious thing; I can't even find any xbox app on my computer.

I wonder if that's the case, try and download it from the MS Store.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm trying to figure out how to mount my Yoke, on my desk the yoke itself is high, at chest level and isn't quite comfortable, plus it gets in the way from me using my keyboard on the desk. I was thinking about building a shelf that can tuck the yoke away under the desk but I can roll it out and lock it when I'm simming. However, at that level the yoke is basically too low and I can't actually turn the yoke the full 180 in either direction because it hits my legs even if I lower the chair as low as possible. Where is the yoke generally on a plane, chest level?

I'd like to have my desk free and the yoke able to be tucked under the desk easily but I'd also like the accuracy so... I think I'm basically stuck with a desk not meant for simming. lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

me, i just want them to fix the loving trees so that yosemite has evergreens instead of this jungle poo poo and the deciduous ones lose their leaves in winter. they have a really well implemented snow shader with a real-time depth slider but it sits on top of these puffy leafy green trees. ugh. also the rivers don't freeze over so you can't land on the ice. double ugh

Did any other Sim do this? Seems like quite the tall order for a game that already has numerous things to fix at this point. They'll probably get to refining the proc gen stuff once the game isn't bug ridden and performs better. There's already so much they seem to be tackling and so many systems in place that's just unprecedented.

Rivers freezing over and the proper trees don't seem to be the biggest priority right now but then again they did put in random wildlife walking around...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

It doesn't seem that difficult to swap the tree models for ones without leaves between November and April. Add a model with orange leaves and a model with tiny leaves, do some randomization with a variable weighting, and there's your seasons.

Idk

This doesn't apply to foliage across the whole planet. They'd have to find a way, or hand curate, the areas where trees follow this pattern then also they'd need specific models and zones set forth for certain types of trees.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wonder if that's intended to happen but it's just broken then?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does the game have dead tree models in it already? Is there a single system in this game that works perfectly yet? lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The set-up is complete:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

soggybagel posted:

How’s that throttle feel?!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

God drat it someone please report this post for being a personal attack on me.

I have the yoke but have used it all of twice because I have the throttle preordered and it feels crappy using my old X55 throttle with the wrong hand and with the yoke, so I don’t want to fly until I have all my things. My throttle isn’t expected until Christmas week. :(

But I hope it’s as awesome as it looks and seems.

So the Throttle is the same great build quality as the Yoke, and how this poo poo is only $250 baffles me but it owns bones. The only thing that feels 'cheap" is the Flap switch on the right-hand side, but it's not that bad.

The Throttles are awesome, they can be adjusted to have more or less tension with a knob on the right-hand side so you can have them as lose or tight as you want. The trim wheel feels kinda lose, but I don't know how an actual trim is supposed to feel. But it's also really, really, really incremental. I have to spin it quite a lot to get it moving at all. Again, I don't know if that's how a trim wheel is supposed to be but I've been so used to huge trim adjustments I'd make with my other input methods that it's throwing me off.

The one thing that kinda sucks it that I was assuming that since the throttle attachment points have electrical connections for switches and such that the Quadrant would "know" the configuration you have it in and you wouldn't have to set things up but that isn't the case, it's just for buttons and reverse thrusters lever interactions on the throttle sticks themselves. I guess that's expecting too much but it'll be annoying if you're changing the attachments a lot to have to keep switching profiles in game but I guess MSFS2020 makes this pretty easy as you can swap profiles fast after you make them. Also the default profile doesn't seem to pertain to any throttle set-up so I have to go in and fix that.

As for the switches, landing gear and auto-pilot stuff... I can't comment, I only fly around the C172S and I know nothing about those systems or if they're even in place on the 172 (the landing gear sure as gently caress isn't) so I don't even mess with that, or the other switches under all that.

Overall, if you have the yoke this is a perfect companion piece for it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Taintrunner posted:

Loosely related to this thread, but you have to see it to believe it:

https://twitter.com/ChloeGMoretz/status/1336423277829361665?s=20

Oh my god the loving TFC conc jump off of the plane exploding is :lol:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The menus look pretty jank in VR and launching the game via VR seems... odd. Can't wait though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No Mods No Masters posted:

I almost got a reverb g2 but after reading some reviews I kinda ended up feeling like the whole package was close but not quite there yet. Are there any "next gen" headsets even on the radar at this point?

The Reverb G2 is going to be the cream of the visual crop right now, nothing else is really on the horizon outside of the Pimax headsets.

Also, I just tried the VR mode and it was running like poo poo before it crashed as I did my start-up checklist... Considering that visuals aren't going to be that apparent when playing with the Index what should I bump down to squeeze out the most performance for MSFS2020?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I have a lovely bug now, my in-game yoke slowly just starts to turn right until it maxes out causing the ailerons to be locked in that position. If I move my Yoke left the ailerons will move appropriately but once I let go they get stuck as if I'm holding the Yoke completely right. The in-game Yoke is also stuck to the right and doesn't move regardless of what I do with my physical one. Welp, won't be playing this for a month I guess.

edit: Turns out that this is because of the Avionics and Auto-Pilot? After turning the Avionics on for a bit, the plane (C172) beeps, the AP displays "ROL B" or something and the yoke just makes a hard right.

sigher fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 23, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For anyone running VR, does the image that's displayed on your monitor look a poo poo-ton smoother than what's displayed on your headset? On my monitor it's actually smooth as hell but in headset it's really drat choppy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jesus, the only way for me to play this smoothly in VR is to knock the resolution scaling all the way down to 40% in-game, making everything effectively look like a blurry mess. But man, once you're up in the sky and you have a good frame rate it's amazing...

Dumb question, I've never flown a plane that required the Blue Levers on my Throttle Quadrant until now and I don't know what it they do? They make my engine sound like it was revving up and it would gain altitude but I was wondering if someone seasoned could fill me in on that function.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Interesting, all of these things to balance while flying feels like you're spinning plates at times. I really enjoy it though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what is it about Sim games that make it so hard to get decent frame rates? Would it be possible to toss enough money at a build to get the VR working smoothly and with decent visuals?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vahakyla posted:

Thing is, medium-low settings in VR look breathtaking in this game as you follow your own street to overfly your house, or when you bust through holes in the cloud cover and dance in the sky. It’s really otherworldly.

It can be, but my 2080 can't even keep a steady 60 in VR with everything set to low and even the render scaling at 40. It's just crazy how this game doesn't give a gently caress about what you're running, you ain't gonna be hitting that 60. Like, I wouldn't mind if I could even get the game running 60 with all details on low except render scaling and be able to read the cockpit. I'm tempted to build a PC and just go balls to the wall with hardware in the coming year just to achieve 100% render resolution and smooth frames in VR, the rest of the settings I don't care for.

How far out does the game simulate? And does performance tank in large cities not just because of the added visual fidelity needed to render, but also because of the added calculations due to all of the structures?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In regards to the poor coding, is that something that we'll see fixed or it's just "Well it's par for the course in the Flight Sim game so gently caress it"/it's too much work to fix?

We probably won't get any Vulkan performance boosts from this either since DirectX is MS' thing and they probably don't give a poo poo do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vahakyla posted:

I have a i5-9600K with no overclock, a 2080 super, with 32 gigs of 3000mhz memory.

I get smooth 45fps in VR with odyssey plus around mid tier cities and the bush. In huge cities, it is about 30 frames per second. Because of the reprojection, the 45fps feels perfectly smooth and the headset stays locked to it, and the 30fps is smooth-ish with some stutters as you turn your head a lot.

My render scale is 100 percent and settings medium-lowish with all car and boat and people traffic at 20%.

I've got an i9-9980HK, 2080 and 64GB of RAM in my laptop; maybe I'm just thermal throttling but I don't think so. However, I think it might be the way my Index is connected, I don't have a full-sized Display Port, but I do have a Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port with built-in Display Port. However, it looks like the throughput of that port isn't enough or something because my frames in the Index are all over with Orange and Red Spikes no matter what FPS I set the Index to. In the preview window on the computer the tracking actually looks quite smooth but I think the frames aren't being pumped over to the headset via the port quickly enough and it's bottlenecking.