Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Updated and played FS2020 for the first time since September the other night and was not ready for the update that actually pulled wind data for the US. We were having a windstorm in my town and I was being lifted in the air just trying to taxi to the right runway when facing the wrong way during a gust. Landing was a bit sketchy and I landed next to the runway instead of on it (it was also night time so I have a slight excuse) but the game counted it as a landing so it’s all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

marxismftw posted:

Just started what promises to be quite the project over the next few months - Around the world in a Beechcraft Baron. A few ground rules: Limited fuel (obviously), no time compression, live weather and live time.

Here's the initial route plan.
https://imgur.com/a/Q2PHxkZ

The orange route is the primary one, with green being possible alternates.

Any suggestions about stops along the way would be appreciated!

What did you base your route around? Just different sights to see? The Atlantic crossing will be very exciting in a very non-exciting way but I believe in you.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I’ve heard that if you plot a course over the dateline, the auto pilot gets to the date line and then shows an abrupt 180 to go the other way around the earth, but what actually happens is you get to the date line, the plane starts to turn and then passes the date line and recalculates and adjusts back on course.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So this week, YouTube started suggesting DCS videos to me, so I downloaded the game to try the free planes and then this sale popped up so now I spent last night doing some frogfoot trainings to see if I want the F18 like everyone suggests, but my biggest issue is I couldn’t figure out how to zoom into my dashboard. I use track IR so I can look around easily, but when I tried to lean in to look at the different knobs, the track ir would lose my clip lights and I’d be far away again. I saw a zoom function in controls that said to use + and = for in and out, but it didn’t seem to work. Do they not allow zooming in while using head tracking? Or because the frogfoot isn’t a clickable plane, does it have simplified cockpit functions because it assumes you’re doing everything with shortcuts. I just found it hard to see the different functions that the training was telling me to look at like which bombs were armed or how far away a waypoint was because of how small they were on my screen.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Trillhouse posted:

Look for the zoom axis in axis bindings, or "Zoom in slow" and "zoom out slow" in the button bindings. I usually use the zoom slow button binds and bind it somewhere easy to reach on my joystick.

Sounds like your TrackIR is messing up. Make sure the camera is centered on the clip lights, and move them around some so it doesn't wig out. I also calibrate it so if I'm looking at the right bezel of my monitor, my view is 180 degrees rotated to the right and vice versa.

Yeah, I’ll screw around with it a bit, I use it mostly for iRacing and have it set up properly for that at the moment, but I should be able to make it work