Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Project Wingman is coming out in ~ a week too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Just started what promises to be quite the project over the next few months - Around the world in a Beechcraft Baron. A few ground rules: Limited fuel (obviously), no time compression, live weather and live time.

Here's the initial route plan.
https://imgur.com/a/Q2PHxkZ

The orange route is the primary one, with green being possible alternates.

Any suggestions about stops along the way would be appreciated!

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Just some places in the world that would be really interesting to see but are generally impractical to visit - North and Saharan Africa, and Central Asia definitely fit that bill for me. I'm less interested in Europe simply because I spent a bunch of time there. Flying down through Japan before heading into the Koreas probably makes sense though.

I'm also going to run out of fuel about 200 miles off the Brazilian Coast.

marxismftw fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 8, 2020

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

For Europe, take the green route across Southern Europe. Southern france, swiss alps, italy are really pretty.

When crossing between northern and southern Europe, consider to go via puerto rico and the caribbean islands. Lots of interesting ones there.

Good call to avoid greenland and iceland. Was there, not worth the trouble.

Did you plan stops on islands on the ocean?

Planning on a stop on St. Lawrence Island in the Bearing Sea, the Azores, and the Cape Verde Islands. I may just grab a Citation for the leg between Cape Verde and Brazil, unless there's a route under ~1400 miles across the central/south Atlantic.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Any idea apart from a bug why the autopilot would just decide to disengage itself like this? It's happened a couple times with the xCub before on previous flights and this time I figured I'd just watch and see what it does.

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1527808123733348352?s=21&t=o8LsniRME6SIzK_UQJkWNw

I think I solved this by adding in a small amount of deadzone to my xbox controller's sticks. YMMV.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

xgalaxy posted:

Anyone aware of any standalone mounts? My desk won’t work well with table mount setups because the front has a 2in long slope at about a 30 degree angle and rounded out. So clamps won’t work well. My desk is a sit/stand so I can raise it to fit something underneath when needed.

I found this one but wondering if there are other options:
https://www.monstertechusa.com/product/flight-stand/

Not interested in any chair mount stuff.

I've been pretty happy with a pair of Meza Mounts. Not too expensive, but very solidly constructed and a lot of flexibility for different sticks or configurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I picked up a grassmonkey after the camera on my trackir decided to stop communicating with the computer.

I hate it. It took ages to setup and it's got a narrower fov for side to side movement (this is due to its design - its sensors are on a single plane, rather than creating a triangle). Interference from random light sources is far worse and made it completely unusable unless it was dark outside ( or you're in a windowless room). I've spent ages trouble shooting it, messing with settings, following guides on how to do adjustments with no real luck. Now it sits unused in a drawer.