Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Every update really does break something :wtc:

Like, a CTD on a core feature is not ok, it's not something you put at the end of your changelog like teehee yeah just avoid the VFR map, see you in 2 weeks!

It's not an internal beta, you can't expect end users to workaround issues they may not know about because not everyone reads changelogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Steadiman posted:

Agree with all of this, it's certainly off to a promising start though. And I am enjoying flying with a purpose, just wish relocating wasn't so insanely expensive. To me the biggest advantage of this particular program is not having to register to anything, it's what's kept me away from FSE in particular. I hope they develop this further because it is a good bit of fun

I've been wanting to join FSE for a month but the signups have been down :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Having a trim wheel on my t16000 hotas is pretty nice. But I do sometimes accidentally spin it when putting my hand on the throttle and my plane suddenly noses down.

I had that mapped too at first but it seemed way too twitchy. Like, I generally only need a degree or two one way or the other, but one notch over and my pitch is 10 degrees from the horizon. Now the dial is the speed brake and I just trim with the hat.

Also the slider on the stick is mapped to trim for me, but I don't really use it unless I want to correct the autopilot going stupid because it too, is way too much too fast.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Shogunner posted:

Watching reviews for the TWCS throttle and everyone's saying it's slide function is notchy / not smooth. Any of you having the same issue?

It wasn't out of the box for me, but silicone grease on the rails and fime tuning the tension and it's great. Smooth, but not jumpy, but will stay put where you left it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

It’s an assistance option.

I tried following ATC direction but without a map I get lost, even if I understand how to follow them sort of

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FSeconomy's forums allows registrations again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

All these airports are yours except for FAE. Attempts no landings there
New redacted implemented. Avoidredacted per request of redacted

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Shine posted:

Somebody mod lasers onto the Cessna.

Laser tag from planes :thunk:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I wouldn’t count on it. VR with 1:1 head tracking is the new standard.

Probably, but I'm perfectly happy with 2D and don't want to spend the entire cost of my computer again for a headset that's going to be obsolete in 3 years, plus better video card to actually run the headset.

Though I totally understand the appeal for those that do it. It sounds sick.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I was flying a 152 and having some fun going to Catalina. I'm going to land and my engine quits.

It's out of gas because it's only drawing from the right tank, but this is a Cessna 152 and it doesn't have a tank selector equipped. I think they both just feed into the engine by gravity.

Someone said to map the selector to a keyboard key, and it worked, but c'mon man. The Cessna is supposed to be the most simple and you go and make a phantom selector switch?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

It's been at least 15 years since I logged time in a Cessna 152, but I seem to recall there was no fuel selector It was either open or closed and was gravity fed from the two wing tanks.

I looked all over the cockpit for a selector lever, and people on some other forum say the same as you: There are two fuel tanks but they drain equally and without any way for the pilot to select them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

:getin:

But anyway, yeah there is the valve under the seat and it was open, but there's no way to select the left tank because that plane doesn't have a selector, all the gas is fair game or none of it is.

Also got my FSE account approved! Made a 1500 bux flying passenger from Pendleton to San Diego. I like making numbers go up so this will be awesome. I might do FSE poo poo in FSX just because it's more stable and complete.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.flightsimulator.com/october-8th-2020-development-update/

I mean, the transparency is nice. But the pitch oscillation fix is next month? AP won't be fixed till loving December? :cripes:

Don't make me hate you MFS, loving you is hard enough.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Soy Division posted:

The pitch oscillation bug is game breaking for me, so I guess I won't be picking this up again for a while. Utterly ruins realism to have to turn off autopilot constantly because it's causing 10-15 degree pitch oscillations. To make matters worse if you're using OnAir you'll probably get a "G Force Excess" penalty that fucks up your reputation and causes airframe damage.

There’s no way I’m doing long distances if I can’t use any time compression or autopilot :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I do altitude hold until it levels out at VS=0, and then turn off all altitude keeping AP functions. The plane tends stay steady. Airbus is even easier since the plane autotrims all the time anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The meshes outside the US really do suck, even in the UK.

I'm over Edinburgh and it looks absolutely poo poo. The castle is office buildings smooshed together :scotland:.

Jamming to Frightened Rabbit on approach into Edinburgh though? Highly recommend.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

sellouts posted:

won’t someone please think of the monorail modeling team

I'd tell you who it put on the map, but if I open the map the game crashes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I was on descent into the Kennedy Space Center shuttle landing strip in the Airbus :jeb: I was trying to figure out how to set the ILS with my head down in the panels when the game abruptly ended saying I crashed into an object.

What object? I was still FL300 over the Gulf of Mexico and there are no midair collisions or bird strikes modeled.

Gonna load that flight again tonight and see if I can replicate it, but if it was another player or live traffic that I clobbered obviously I can't recreate that bit.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Patch is out

RELEASE NOTES 1.9.5.0
PLANES

The VFR map should no longer crash the title during a flight
Avionic screens or buttons in the cockpit should no longer be turned off randomly (ghost cockpit)
Crashes related to the use of the Smart cam have been fixed

AIRPORTS

Navblue navigation data has been updated

UI

Version history is now properly displayed in the Marketplace and Content manager

The multiple simultaneous downloads in the content manager are better handled to prevent crashes or freezes

The packages downloaded through the content manager should now be correctly loaded without requiring a reboot of the title

The airport icons in the world map have been slightly modified

AERODYNAMICS

Auto Pilot pitch oscillation has been reduced on some planes

ACTIVITY

Multiplayer has been deactivated in the Japan Discovery Flight

MARKETPLACE

Quality of life updates for the marketplace

WORLD

Autogen buildings height has been reviewed
TIN luminance (Sendai, Takamatsu, Tokushima, Tokyo, Utsunomiya, Yokohama)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Just for clarification. It is super rewarding to be able to do stuff like go out over the coast, pull back the power and trim the plane up for 60 knots, open the window, and just putter along with your arm in the breeze looking at the waves and the boats and the motorcycles going by on the twisty roads, lazily steering around clouds as they drift by like icebergs. All your problems are at least several thousand feet away.

It is also rewarding to feel like you accomplished something that few other people have done.

also i am going to fight on this point: it costs on average around $12k to get a pilot's license. That's half the cost of a new car. I drive a 18 year old car with peeling paint because I decided to skip getting a leased 328i to keep up with the Joneses and spent that money on a pilot's license instead. You don't have to be a computer toucher at google or even making 6 figures to be able to swing it -- I am neither.

Just 12K? Flight time and all?

Middle class could do it, especially if that was their number one focus. There are people like that in every expensive hobby (horses, planes, track racing, boats) , they make just enough to be in the game and probably can't afford it, but it's their passion and their main thing, and some even center their whole lives around it. I read Alex Honnold's book (the Free Solo guy) and he literally lives in a van just so he can climb all day.

Kind of tempting actually. Not even to fully get the license, but lessons as an excuse to go get actual stick time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for the write up!

As for lead, I got real scared of it after reading about it related to shooting. The body treats it like calcium, so it'll deposit in bones. This is why it's especially bad for kids, because of their bone growth.

There was a case of a kid in Flint IIRC that was fine, broke a bone doing kid stuff, and pretty much immediately became mentally disabled :stare:. The lead stored in her bones went into her blood and went to her brain. There's no easy way to get it out either. I'm glad COVID is normalizing masks and I can go to the range in the P100 respirator I got for that 5 years ago.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 16, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Analog gauges or nothing :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Enos Shenk posted:

If it's hardware, you can totally refurbish the potentiometer inside there. It's not very difficult to do.

Take the stick apart, and look for the doodad inside that the twist rotation operates. 90% of the time it will look like this:

See how the metal casing is held on with those bent-over little tabs? Get a flathead screwdriver and bend them back up so you can open it up. Inside you'll find some arrangement of a copper wiper that rotates around and traces along basically a circular circuit board trace. Use some iso alcohol (If you can find any thanks to Covid) and clean off the circular trace and the end of the wiper.

I brought an old stick back from the jittery dead like this once. As long as you're comfortable taking something apart and not breaking it in the process, go for it.

Looks like a volume pot on a guitar.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Sorry Tomcat, not this time for 68 bux.

Or 25 for the Mi-8 ugh. Is the Mi-8 even sort of worth it? Pretty much the only game in town for rotary sims.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Flew off from Denver to some muni field in Oklahoma with someone's D&D group in FSeconomy.

Rented a TBM for it, thought I did everything right, turns out I didn't load the passengers, but I still moved the plane as far as FSE is concerned. I'm out 900 planedollars for this misadventure.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I made a mistake, I landed at the wrong airport lol. I think I was too zoomed out in the GPS.

My passengers are still there with me, in the wrong airport. I'm going to the right one now.

So that's flying inebriated and distracted as well as not following my flight plan. Off to pilot jail.

Edit: Finished the flight in the correct place and got my money. But seriously, the pax had names like 1 Maiden of the Spear.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 26, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also, a community upgrade for the CJ4: https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages

I'm sad because I don't think this will affect the Longitude, being a premium, but if they can fix the CJ4, hell yeah.

lmao I can't believe the gucci planes are all broken AND you can't even mod them.

Would have happily shelled out for it too if the game wasn't busted. Don't even remember what GAs even are there, but I want planes gimme gimme gimme.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think there's a way - in theory, but absolutely not in any way they'd try. I think it's truly a case of "If you build it [correctly], they will come." You don't need to make it a huge walled garden, just a good platform for developers (payware or free mods) and a better platform for users. Some people will still gently caress off to various poo poo FsMods2020.lt like Truck Sim or it's ilk, but if you center the community somewhere you'll get the lion's share of good content.

It's like steam workshop. Some modders on some games seem to loving hate the workshop, but unless they're literally the most unique and necessary mod, as a user I am much happer to one click install/uninstall, grab any dependencies, and never have to think about updating it manually. Steam workshop doesn't have 100% of the 3rd party content for a game and its imperfect, sure, but if you can build that for Flight Sim you've won a lot of the battle.

I say in theory because inevitably if they tried to monopolize the market place it would end up being like "only add partnered developers to the market place by hand every month" and that would really suck...

...Oh.

I remember when Arma 3 came out with workshop support. In Arma 2 and back you had all kinds of random sites hosting mods. Cobbled together installers and updaters for core mods like Six Updater. Then the workshop came out and all that poo poo just went to Steam. We're not limited by hosting because it's not just some Czech guy's fan site or beholden to rickety homebrew installers that barely work.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mailer posted:

I won't be satisfied until they put tits on my TBM.

They have to flap like the 787 wings though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I also was doing alt-tabbed runs for FSE during a Zoom call.

The weather over the rockies was horrible. I saw a big red blob on radar and 45 knot winds and I went down way lower, even went around the cell like a good pilot. Then I find the destination is a grass airstrip (Flying the TBM 930) and I went in too fast.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The premium edition upgrade (as in, without the full version which you already should have) in the store is also somehow more expensive than if you bought the whole thing from the start :psyduck:

Idk if they think my copy is still gamepass or they priced it with GP in mind, but I have a standard license now. You would pay like 140 if you got the standard edition and then upgraded in the store later.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Good patch, if true

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Xplane 11 is in the Steam sale for 34 bucks (42% discount). Sweet as, can't wait to try it tonight.

Probably gonna snag the Mi-8 module for DCS after the 1st too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Did they even want to fly the planes?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They said they only want DX12 for ray tracing and not for performance.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

piratepilates posted:

Is there any literature or research of damage suffered to engines historically? I'd imagine it's easy enough to just randomly choose between:
- engine is fine
- engine is running slower
- engine doesn't work at all

when you get hit, and that'd closely enough match what it was like if an engine got hit.

What if you just told them you totally did it, lock down the source code, and absorb the kudos?

Unless the game has a mechanic feature (upcoming DLC), it's not like they can get out and look.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

sitting for a couple hours doing nothing while my GPU is pegged at 100% because there's a 3d hanger rendered behind the 16GB download progress bar. i'm sure it'll be worth it but lol

Turn on v-sync from your video card's control program, like Geforce Experience or something.

I think this is how The Sims 3 fried video cards too back in the day. Since there's nothing to render the GPU would just run frames into infinity and make them redlined on the menu screens.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

IFR is useless in this game. They made me descend to FL100 while still 72nm out, into a cloud. It's also dawn in Ireland, I doubt the local authorities are cool with me waking everyone up.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I can barely read the gauges on 2D lol. If I zoom in I lose situational awareness outside.

But then again for civil aviation, I should probably stop worrying about what's out there anyway, although landing with the instruments visible would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

slidebite posted:

Thanks for that info on the 320. I guess it is what it is. I do have the 787 and I don't think I've even tried it yet. In the older MSFS I liked the 737 even though I know the model was pretty :shrug: in many ways.

Is there a way to get radio frequencies for NAV/ILS/whatever when enroute? I noticed I clicking on the airport in the inflight map doesn't do anything. Does all of the airport stuff need to be downloaded/printed (?) ahead of time from 3rd party websites? Also, is there a way for the autopilot to program in? For example, I did a high altitude airways ILS last night and when we approached the destination the approach which I was vectored to was not automatically populated, and I had AI doing the radio changes in thoughts that maybe "they" would do it. I should have figured right away when I noticed the XPDR wasn't programmed right from the get go.

I did an ILS into Honolulu and it was a poo poo show. They were having me in their pattern at 7000, dropped me to 4200 and 2000 while loving turning all within like 30 nm in an Airbus.

I can't imagine the actual airspace requiring airliners to overfly the landmass and turn around when you can have the plane out to sea right until it actually lands.