Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Blue On Blue posted:

As much as I love vr and flight sims. I think it still needs a way to “see” your real hotas in the virtual world

That was my biggest problem with elite was the multitude of buttons to push and not being able to see where my hand was in relation to the physical hotas

I’m sure with enough time on it you’d have a very good muscle memory though

Elite doesn't have that many buttons, you can do a lot through looking at the various dashboards and a POV hat rather than memorising their hotkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

Joystick twist is the worst possible way to control rudder. You need to be able to keep the rudder in a position while simultaneously move the stick and that is near impossible by twisting. I use a thumb knob in my throttle to control rudder.

I don't have pedals myself but they are strongly recommended if you are serious enough about flying.

It's not quite that bad. I found it much easier to use joystick twist than pedals, but pedals are just way more fun, at least for planes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

skooma512 posted:

I remember reading ITT or the DCS thread that IL2 CLOD fans before release were demanding weird poo poo like being able to herd cows with planes because some pilots did it for fun sometimes, vegetation and crops that would dynamically change over time, and for a fully working engine simulation, as in every piston and part was actually being modeled in real time.

ngl would love for flight sims to highlight some of those weird things people did, though that's something I'd prefer to see in Plane Mechanic Sim, repairing damage done due to uncooperative cattle.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

"Last but not least, check your altimeter" is the perfect line to crash on that I can't help but wonder if it was intentional

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Syria at War server is really good though, since they don't have AMRAAMs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

i am kiss u now posted:

After the recent nerfs, the 9X is probably better anyway. How long before we see videos of a sidewinder getting kills 30nm out?

I don't think it has the 9X either, it's mostly just older missiles.

Trillhouse posted:

Is it the new Hoggit one? I haven't gotten a chance to play it but it seems cool.

Yeah that's the one, I've not had the chance to play it yet either but I've heard nothing but great things.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FunOne posted:

Any recommendations? I'm not 100% on how DCS operates between planes, missions, and packs.

Really simply, if you want to just try out modern jets as cheaply as possible, you have two choices. You either try the free Frogfoot for air to ground, or buy the very cheap but low fidelity (no clicking) F-15 for air to air.

If you want a good full fidelity plane, I highly recommend the F/A-18C Hornet module, it's multirole and carrier capable, so it lets you have a taste of everything and the plane flies really well.

To learn it easily, I'd also recommend grabbing the Persian Gulf map and the Rising Squall campaign. That campaign's Ace Combat style hammy writing and soundtrack is love it or hate it, but it does an excellent job of guiding you through the various systems of the Hornet.

The Supercarrier is a massive waste of money but if you're already in, it's a nice if overpriced improvement to the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tippis posted:

…oh, and people have been alluding to it already, but let's just very clearly reiterate:

Don't buy the FC3 planes separately.
If you want one of them for whatever reason, just get the full FC3 package.

I mostly disagree. The only FC3 plane I care about at all is the F-15, you miss out on the tutorials but there’s plenty on YouTube.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LotATC is also super easy to use, just takes a few minutes to familiarise with the options and how to customise it ever so slightly so it shows all relevant information at all times, for any prospective ABM.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

So, I like zooming around in planes in War Thunder. I thought maybe it'd be fun to play with a joystick, bought a T16000M. Turns out I am really bad with it. Like, total dogshit tier, and I don't seem to be getting much better. Repeatedly dying to scrubs in WT is not a very uplifting experience, so can someone recommend a game that has a decent tutorial for flying with a joystick?

Unless you’re planning on flying sim battles, just don’t. Sorry to be a downer, but it’s utterly outclassed by mouse and keyboard, to the point where even competent players generally get dunked on. Then you’ll be suffering due to a lack of TrackIR or VR. Multiplayer stuff is hard and generally demands a lot of investment, else you’ll just get clowned on. Just gotta put in the hours and the dollars and eventually you’ll do alright.

Most games don’t offer tutorials on flying stick as a general thing, but I think the new Microsoft Flight Sim does a decent job of introducing the basics. For combat stuff, there’s a whole host of videos for basic fighter manoeuvres. For WW2 singleplayer, IL:2 Great Battles is pretty great.

I actually enjoyed Gaijin’s previous IL:2 game, Birds of Prey(?) as an arcadey way to pick up a few things, since they reward you for doing manoeuvres like the Immelman and Split-S, so it just kinda gets them in your head.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CancerCakes posted:

So I found my copy of crimson skies and my cyborg gold joystick in a box at my parents house. I loving loved that game, but it probably isn't viable nowadays. Assuming the joystick is still working, is there an Arcady action flight game like that which is fun that I can blast through in single player? My PC is old, I don't have vr.

Project Wingman, though it and Ace Combat is best played with a controller, the joystick support for both is pretty much just a gimmick.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but binning a sim plane into the ground/a mountain/a building isn't unexpected, it's just watching an explosion with no real point.

Spoiler alert: spread out debris field, fire, and corpses. I don't need to see that any more than I need to see extremely realistic gunshot wounds in FPSs (also, we don't get those either, for obvious reasons).

Debris is fun to see. Corpses not so much. The best racing games have poo poo flying off of the car if you slam it straight into a wall. And even though we don't get realistic gunshot wounds, unless you're playing the Chinese version of PUBG, you still get death animations and effects, sometimes hilariously exaggerated ones.

Plus, if you lose a wing and still keep flying, that's fun as gently caress. The panicked failure spiral up until the final collision with the ground is great. If you're already losing wings, you may as well let everything else break off, and it's far more satisfying than a fade to black.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

PT6A posted:

I can agree it'd be cool to model damage, especially in flight. A bent prop and sheared off gear from a hard landing? An upside-down plane from poor crosswind control, or the realistic result of a ground loop? Yeah, cool. A crash? Probably not so much. I just don't think there's much to see there, unless you want to see how big a boom you can make. Maybe we're talking about different things.

So, you don't think it would be satisfying to see the nose of the plane crumple, the wings shear off and counting how many pieces are still attached after a particularly shoddy attempt at landing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, see, that's loving awesome

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

I think they're also doing a C-130 as a full fledged module. gently caress if I know why though. The number of people interested in paying $60 to fly rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong while other people have fighter jets is probably very small.

Campaigns, both scripted missions and dynamic PvP/PvE 24/7 servers, have a large contingent of logistics flyers, usually in helicopters or the trainer P-51. Paradrops and bombing are also available with the mod version. The appeal of an AC-130 gunship is also extremely easy to understand if that comes as part of the module.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ethanol posted:

i believe they said the AC130 will not be part of the module

and i will pay $79.99 for it

IIRC they did say that for the mod but they still had rudimentary gunship stuff in there, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was expanded.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I said come in! posted:

No crowdfunding is a very positive sign that they are serious about this imo.

Well, he said his primary concern is that he wouldn't want to crowdfund something that he's not sure will come out, so they're definitely serious but that doesn't mean they don't have doubts.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

yeah its Not E3 season

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Shine posted:

I'm only a few minutes in (replaying the demo content, more or less), and the game is just as charming as I remember! The most noticable change is the new "one take and you're golden" voice acting, which is more Capcom than Studio Ghibli.

I remember the demo had an annoying autotrim that would immediately disengage (and reset all trims) if I made a gentle movement on my stick or thumbstick, so it was basically useless. I'm being lazy tonight and using the mouse, but I'll try to enjoy my stupid expensive toy tomorrow.

They're using AI voices.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

What if it is real people but they are so bad at speaking that people think it's AI.

The devs themselves confirmed it was AI. Getting voicework done for normal scripted lines on the cheap - even free - is really easy. It can be a little time consuming, but they said it themselves that is was rough getting the AI to even sound this good, that is to say really bad.

Chuck_D posted:

Genuine question, but why such a hard line on AI voice? Seems like a really weird line to draw in the sand.

AI generation for any creative work that replaces real people is considered to be awful for what I hope to be obvious reasons, even without accounting for the non-consensual use of people's data in order to generate the majority of AI services. There are very limited cases where it can be excused, but even then, the dataset used remains a concern.

Even in the case of something like BeyondATC, I'm going to assume they use three to power their whole thing, one that converts speech to text, a chat bot that takes the converted text and responds to it while following a base prompt, and a voice synthesiser to readback the output. Throughout the years there have been things that do all of these tasks that aren't AI and they have been uncontroversial. The issue entirely rests on that methodology of machine learning generally needing extremely large databases to sample and "learn" from, making it extremely unlikely the data is ethically sourced. What are the chances that all three of those AI services BeyondATC use will all have clean datasets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

gently caress SNEEP posted:

And yet he named himself after the real best aircraft

i didn't know his name was Tom Cat