Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

God drat it, I just want MFS VR to be less finicky and to goddamn run better. I really hope they make some passes at VR performance (or performance in general I guess since it's apparently a dog in the first place). The 2070 VR post everyone references is extremely helpful, but still.

EDIT: And of course, I've now found a pretty good mix of settings.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I think the only jet on the Marketplace is an Italian-made miljet trainer? I forget the exact model, though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'm a guy who bought an IR tracker after getting into flight sims with VR first.

FS2020 definitely has some intense performance problems with SteamVR/Oculus, and yeah: motion smoothing can only do so much, even after the tweaks from That One Thread™. I can get IL-2 to run at 80 Hz (Rift S) and it's an extremely pleasing experience - Trillhouse is right, it's a lot of fun to fly something like a Mustang after Cessnas and Beechcraft. But I'm pretty positive my first 20 hours in FS2020 were 80% adjusting settings and waiting for the game to restart after it crashed every other time I changed to VR mode, and I only kind of have it running at 40 Hz with some meager settings. VR's still fun and immersive, but the game looks so loving good at max on a monitor anyway that I accept the trade off depending on my mood.

Of course the immersion and scale in VR is unbeatable. And honestly, one of the main reasons I picked up the head tracker too is simply that it's hard for me to sit stoned in my headset at night. My eyes dry out. But it was so nice to see the game running well that I wound up using it a little more than I thought I would.

I love my Rift S, and I love my IR tracker. I'm worried any of this sounds like I'm complaining, but really no! I'm excited to see what the supposed fix for SteamVR performance in the next Nvidia drivers does for me. I really want to do more VR in FS2020, and I'll put up with the dryness if I could get it to run a little more consistently.

EDIT - Oh, and just as a place to put this since the IL-2 thread sees periodic activity: the World War I module for IL-2, Flying Circus, is ridiculous in VR. Sitting on a loving lawn chair in a wooden box, trying to avoid blowing up the engine three feet in front of you while getting shot at by just...the guy you can clearly see sitting in another plane like 50 feet behind you. It's harrowing all the way.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 17, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

CapnBry posted:

I just finished a flight in VR for the first time and I couldn't stop saying "holy poo poo" for the first 5 minutes. Why didn't anyone ever tell me the cockpit of a 152 is so friggin small? I thought it would be about the size of a car inside but it is closer to the width of like 2/3rds a car.

It kind of is the size of a car, just...old cars. Ever been in a 60s-ish VW Beetle? Those fuckers are narrow, and it's exactly what the inside of a Cessna reminds me of. Which I guess makes sense - the Cessna 150 was made in '57, and the 152 in '77.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 18, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

There's 14 hours left in the sale, is IL-2 BOS+some expansions worth it? I still fire up a modded 1946 from time to time but it looks like rear end and I just checked wikipedia and I've been playing it since 2001. I think I just want more of the same (with hardcore sim options) but running on an engine that wasn't built when I had a 3dfx card.

Definitely, yes. I bought Battle of Moscow and Battle of Stalingrad's collectors editions figuring a.) they were cheapest and I could get the deluxe versions with the collector planes without feeling spendy, b.) it seemed like it was enough early-war content to occupy me for ages.
Once I realized how much I liked it, I bought...basically all of the rest of it over the next few days, plus all but one of the scripted campaigns.

If you get one, get Stalingrad. If you get two, get Stalingrad and either Kuban or Bodenplatte. Kuban's forested mountains/black sea map is the best in the game and the planes are really good. If you want the western front, Bodenplatte is the pick.
Moscow is cool but early war planes can be kinda rough and enh is probably just the least interesting of them all.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 5, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'd suffer the loading times more gracefully if it didn't crash to desktop 50% of the time I switch into VR mode.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Let me tell you about these 60% keyboards where I don't know how the gently caress you can do anything productive with that poo poo.

I just hissed at this picture like a vampire

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Maybe some day they'll make the game stable enough to not randomly loving crash as I navigate the main menu.

GOD, sorry, this is just so loving frustrating to try to play this piece of poo poo, taking five minutes to just launch and almost immediately after I try to get the update from the Marketplace it dumps me wordlessly to desktop. I wish I hated this goddamn thing enough to give up.

EDIT: Okay, if I minimize the window immediately after starting the download, don't interact with any other window but Firefox, the download continues and I think it's finally going to let me finish it. Maybe I'll even get to play. gently caress THIS I'm done with this, crashed as soon as I finally took off. I'm sure I'll regret deleting this massive-rear end install later, but for now, I am way too frustrated to keep wasting my life with this and frankly I'd rather have the 150gb back.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 3, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

slidebite posted:

I've found MSFS to be remarkably stable compared to what I expected. I have had a grand total of 2 crashes since I bought it. One on trying to do the initial install and the other, just last week for no apparent reason I can think of in the middle of a flight.

Are you overclocking your CPU or GPU at all? Going back to Win98 troubleshooting, but maybe try a fresh install of windows?

Woof, re-reading myself this morning, I was mad. That's always frustrating to read from others, sorry gang.

No overclocking at all, but honestly, I'm probably due for a rebuild anyway - that is good advice, and you'd figure my IT background would've had me doing it in the first place. But I'm normally the guy quietly thinking "it works fine for me" when things like Arkham Knight or X3 are such buggy garbage for other people, so hubris wins again.

Technically-speaking, something I didn't think about until today: the Oculus app kept launching while I was in-game, but never trying to use VR. The headset is probably related; back in January before I gave it a break (to wait for the UK update) I'd say well over 2/3 of my crashes were coming during the transition into, or loading during, VR. To the point that I gave up and used headtracking instead. Hmm.

I'll try again. It's not that I hate it - I just want it to work so badly. I just want to fly around Snowden and look at sunset clouds.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 3, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

every game flickers like crazy on load (which is great if you have a history of seizures)

Ah, I see you play IL-2 too.

The "feels like the 90s" thing is...very accurate, yeah. I had more time for this poo poo as a teen.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

As I reinstall this thing again after a rebuild, another bitch: please let Steam deliver this entire package, instead of these disgustingly slow servers that are serving the 150gb in post-install content. Also don't list the download speed in Mbits.

EDIT: Ahhh...but, after all is said and done, I just completed a beautiful flight from Lebanon, NH to Burlington, VT at sunset, without a single hitch. When it works...man. Honestly, thanks for the reinstall Windows suggestion. It's a heavy fix, but it seems to have worked.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 4, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

kalleth posted:

No performance improvements, no DX12

:mad:

Yeah, that is... less exciting than I was hoping it'd be.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

PT6A posted:

So, I gather some of you have probably run into the same problem I'm having: what is a good chair to get without wheels so that, when you press rudder pedals, you don't simply gently caress off backward across the room? I'm using a dining chair at the moment, but I don't love it compared to my office chair, which would be fantastic but for the wheels.

I bought some rollerblade-style wheels for my office chair that have lock brakes on two of them, I clamp them down before I play anything. They work well! Just make sure the stem size matches your chair.

EDIT: oh drat it, saw they're out of stock though.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 25, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Warmachine posted:

I highly recommend regreasing the throttle slides with some nyogel 767a. I wasn't sure if a $35 tube of grease would be worth it, but holy poo poo it's worth it. Night and day difference in the feel of the throttle. The movements are smoother and offer far more resistance than you can get with the base tension bar. Precise adjustments are a lot easier since you don't have that 'jump' when you overcome the static friction.

I'm emptyquoting this, because every word is true.

I used this guide and it's great. I just winged it on the rudder pedals, but the rails for those are basically exposed to the air anyway so they were really easy to get to.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

HELL yeah! Flight Simulator performance improvements coming down the pipe this month:

quote:

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a notoriously demanding PC game, but a big patch is arriving later this month that promises significant performance improvements. Asobo, the developer of Microsoft Flight Simulator, has been busy rewriting its engine to perform well on Xbox Series X / S, and the changes will also bring some much-needed improvements to the PC side on July 27th.

During a recent Twitch stream, spotted by Twinfinite, Asobo demonstrated just how significant the performance improvements will be on older systems with an Intel Core i7-9700K and an RTX 2060 Super. Microsoft Flight Simulator jumped from around 30fps to nearly a solid 60fps just thanks to the patch. CPU utilization also drops from 100 percent to 75 percent on this particular PC, and memory drops from around 16GB to 4.7GB.

loving finally, some relief. I guess it's time to finally start this re-download - I've got a Ryzen 3600X with a 2060, so with some tweaking I might actually be able to get this thing working at a non-nauseating clip.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 1, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

That memory utilization drop is staggering, what the gently caress was that engine doing before optimization?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

And if you didn't click through to the stream, that was at Ultra graphics preset with a 4k renderscale of 40 flying over Manhattan. They mention they've put glass cockpits on its own thread, and done work around airports to reduce the CPU load there specifically.

I am cautiously very excited.

EDIT: July 27th release

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 1, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

uhhhhh so not 4k at all, and in fact lower resolution than 1080p?

it's great that they have improved performance but lol @ all these "4k" claims if the internal render resolution is significantly lower.

Oh hm, I haven't seen anyone suggest they were running at 4k? But this was apparently set this way specifically because they wanted to demonstrate the CPU improvements without also hitting the limits of the 2060 that his dev machine has.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 1, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

That's extremely useful! Thanks, Sagebrush, the with-the-yoke-not-the-angle thing is a lightbulb moment.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

e: rereading again I think you did explain this with "A key concept to realize is that the rudder always moves simultaneously with the aileron, and the amount it moves is proportional to the aileron deflection. Not the bank angle -- the angle of the yoke." but if you can say more words to help me I'd appreciate it!

My understanding is that you would generally be applying rudder only as you're actively tilting the stick, NOT through the entire turn. Once you're rolled to the right angle for your turn and return the stick to center, you should ease off the rudder.

...at least, that's how I understand it. My problem is that I keep the rudder pressed all the way through a turn, when I should've taken my foot off once I stopped rolling my wings.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

These servers are maaad.

EDIT: Looks like there's some good news on the performance improvements for high end hardware and settings too

quote:

I’ve been testing the update for the past couple of weeks on my own PC, equipped with an Intel Core i9-11900K and Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, and the improvements are staggering even on top hardware. I use Microsoft Flight Simulator for benchmarks during our GPU reviews, and in the same section flying across Seattle, my frame rate has gone from an average of 45fps all the way up to 68fps. That’s more than a 50 percent leap with ultra settings enabled at 1440p.

Even flying across areas like New York City sees some impressive improvements, with my machine now managing to hit 80fps average in what’s typically a very demanding part of Microsoft Flight Simulator. The improvements are so surprising that I’ve had to double and triple check my settings to make sure I was actually running at ultra on everything.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 27, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

The performance change is pretty loving fantastic, honestly. Before the update, I had to run Medium preset minus a few things, drop my render scale to like 70%, plus do a bunch of Nvidia Control Panel bullshit to get 30-40 FPS in fairly remote areas. It was always jumpy.

I ran a quick VR test flight with my Oculus Rift S:
- AMD Ryzen 3600X with a GTX 3080 Ti and 32GB of RAM at 3600mhz
- Flying around Boulder, CO, mostly just doing slow Cessna rolls over town
- With the High preset, TAA, and an accidental 1.2 supersample from the Oculus Tray Tool (which comes out to 1984x2128 per eye, according to the MSFS menu)

According to the performance graph, I am locked at 40 FPS, half my headset's refresh rate, and the motion smoothing is working as well as I've ever seen it. It does in fact seem like the stuttering/"juddering" is gone for me, I was surprised I was only getting 40 after I opened the graph - this game always ate poo poo with the Oculus motion smoothing, and it was running so smoothly I just assumed I was somehow getting the full refresh rate. I couldn't tell what FPS I was actually capable of, but the performance overhead meter wavered between -10% and -45%, and since my HMD's "max" is 80 FPS this tells me I'm probably getting 44-72 FPS.

Which to be clear, is great for this game in VR, historically.

EDIT: Also, the interface changes are pretty nice! Love the detailed map overlay on the flight setup.
EDIT 2: poo poo, I tried to take a screenshot but lost it; according to Task Manager, my CPU was about 70% used, 42% RAM, and between 60-100% for my GPU.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 27, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

What I don't like about this update so far are the controls. The update has changed how you interact with your cockpit. It now highlights in blue whatever element you're hovering over. That's ugly but whatever. What's worse is that I couldn't get some buttons to work at all. For instance, the landing lights in the a320 or its altitude, speed, and heading knobs no longer provided the 'pull to X' option. That's a problem, because you really need those. Hoping that this is just an FBW bug that's fixed there.

Okay, I thought something in my controls had changed - the trim wheel in the Cessna seems to work differently, and the little twisty-dial on my throttle doesn't act like it used to - it seems to...click up or down? I don't know, it's weird. Less responsive somehow.

Although I DO like the highlighting and text description of in-cockpit controls when you hover over them! I wonder if you can disable it, though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

quote:

Washed out Graphics and Cloud Appearance – Attempted improvements to the cloud appearance introduced an overexposure of the world. This will be addressed in the upcoming hotfix. We are planning on a brightness slider for an upcoming Sim Update to allow visual customization of your sim.

Woo, had to stop playing in VR a bit because of the crazy brightness (which is dumb because I just realized I could just...fly at night), and I am oh god excited for a brightness slider what is wrong with me

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I am going to loving fight the person who made the Landing Tutorial scoring because I am to be VERY FRANK doing this PERFECTLY and I absolutely can not ever score an A rank.

I don't know WHY I care about getting a 100% mastery of the training flights but I DO and I CAN'T and I want to SET MYSELF ON FIRE

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Maybe there's a user preference file that's read-only for some stupid reason that if you deleted would be recreated anew? Because what you're experiencing is very much not how it's supposed to work, nor indeed how it works for me.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I picked up the stupid li'l ultralight from Fly Away Home that Asobo sells for a tenner, and that thing is so fun in VR. It's got me looking into the marketplace airplanes a bit, and I'm curious what people think about some of the Carenado planes? They seem to mostly be well received, but it looks like the Arrow has some problems maybe? People don't seem too big on it, but I was looking at the other Piper aircraft or maybe the M20R Ovation? I like flying GA, but was looking for a step up from the Cessnas.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Whoa, wait, so there's a market/add-on ecosystem beyond the in-built Marketplace? poo poo.

Okay, Justflight's stuff...looks like a nice Turbo Arrow III. Cool!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I figured out that if I jack up my chair as high as it goes and put my pedals on a small box, I can dangle my legs in the "air" flying the Top Rudder Solo 103 ultralight in VR and it feels VERY weird. Cool sensation.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I've been doing the Finland bush trip in the XCub but wouldn't know, because Finland is apparently the flattest place on earth.

I also somehow managed to delete my flight plan, so I have to kind of dead reckon anything that isn't an airport that shows up on the map.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

The XCub's big attraction is that gorgeous touchscreen Garmin that actually works the way you expect it to.

EDIT: Just had a lovely sunrise flight in the Daher from Bilbao to Nice, which I used to understand the flight plan and approach autopilot, I felt like a BIG BOY

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 11, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

ATC finally shuts up, but I add AI Traffic back in and now ATC won't shut up to anyone else :saddowns:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Great, a post about the two things currently dominating my psyche, flight sims and Vermont.

If anything that MSFS approach to Burlington is a metaphor for trying to move there: lots of running around and nowhere near as simple as the old men on the radio say it ought to be.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

There's still a big-rear end water spike immediately in front of the Akureyri airport in Iceland, which I would say is pretty loving remote and low on the priority list, but the bush trip they added with the Nordic update takes you right through it. :mad:

Always bugged me. EDIT: Less because of the spike, but more that it seems to mean nobody actually flew that bush trip during its design and said "hey maybe we should fix that."

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 6, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I just figured out how to read and use the taxiway signs, so that's exciting! Now I'm slwoyl trying to figure out the parts of this sim that I sort of just muddle through now.

Here's a stupid question: is there any autopilot setting that is just..."follow the flight plan you dumb machine?"

Heading mode is easy enough to figure out, and I figured out setting the Hold Altitude mode and using Vertical Speed mode to ascend/descend to it (although sometimes I'm not sure why the vertical speed levels out to the set altitude and sometimes doesn't), but I don't really know what Flight Director or FLC mode do. I swear, I had it happen once but haven't figured out consistently how to use the AP.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 6, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Man, awesome responses, thanks everyone. NAV in GPS mode is what I'm after, and seems to work! Other than some weird wobbly-left-and-right tracing of the path if the distance between waypoints is relatively short. I think it's constantly trying to intercept the course but can't be subtle about it.

And OH, so THAT'S what Flight Director does. Fun, like...tracing. Glad to try FLC instead of VS mode too, thanks for how that all works!

EDIT: So, extrapolating a bit, but... if I'm in LOC mode instead of GPS, does that mean if I set a NAV1 frequency, NAV AP mode will aim the plane toward it?
EDIT 2: Ohhh, so that LOC mode is really for ILS landing. Need to try that next, capturing the localizer.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 6, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I finally picked up the M20R Ovation from the store now that Carenado fixed its fuel selector, and it's a fun old plane! The proto-Garmin is a fun limitation to work through, but it's nice to have alongside the steam gauges. It's finicky about fuel flow and temperature at startup, so I kept killing the engine at idle speeds. Reminds me of IL-2 planes.

I've also mostly figured out ILS (so THAT'S what that alarm sound was when I came in for landings!), but I can't quite tell why sometimes when I hit AP with APR mode enabled my altitude seems to stick, or the glideslope is otherwise misaligned and I don't drop right. I do seem to line up with the runway, but then have to bail on the APR when I'm not actually losing any altitude. ALT hold is off, but I'm also landing in kinda rinky-dink places most of the time, so I wonder if they're just misconfigured in-game for that approach. It's been fun looking up and learning to read actual airport diagrams, though.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 8, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I've been trying to make sure I'm at altitude when I pass over the ILS activation point, but that's a good tip - I'll try coming at it from below, see if that catches. As far as I know, the ILS frequencies have been good - they resolve on the Garmins. So - just to confirm it, that means it's possible to catch the horizontal but not the vertical? I bet that's what happened.

EDIT: Yep! That seems to be it. I came in about 150ft below the ILS waypoint and when the tone went off I hit APR/AP and it pulled me in. Awesome tip, thanks!

The only place in-sim I've seen them is by adding the Navaids to the World Map and selecting the ILS point just short of the runway. It'll give the frequency in the little stats window. But that's only really helpful if you're pre-planning an IFR flightplan.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 8, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I thought I had an example of a VOR frequency mis-match between reality and the sim, but I uh forgot they're line-of-sight. Getting over the continental divide helped. Trying my first VOR-to-VOR flight, and it's a relief to hear the morse code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Well god drat I finally got around to getting Neofly set up and this is just about exactly what I wanted out of MSFS. The career structure is cool as poo poo, and it's not that hard to get going.