Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bird with big dick posted:

Where buy honeycomb throttle quadrant

Directly from Honeycomb. I'm going to guess that availability of that will be about the same as the new Nvidia cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

X Plane ORG Store has the Honeycomb Yoke back in stock

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

First Time Caller posted:

Ended up finding that naturally with some fancy google searching the other day. Cancelled my Flight Velocity order (going on 10 weeks when they promised 2 weeks) and Xplane org shipped my order a few hours after I placed it.

I placed my order about the same time I posted that. Looks like they had my order ready to ship yesterday and it went out today.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Honeycomb Yoke arrived yesterday. Did a couple of flights in MSFS and it's a significant upgrade from my CH Eclipse.

Only issue I'm having is that I no longer have Throttle/Prop/Mix levers. I'm probably going to 3d Print a throttle box or quadrant to hold me over until Honeycomb Throttle comes available.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm legit surprised they held it back since they previously have been yeeting patches out.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Did 2 short IFR flights today with the new patch:

Bonanza has some weird AP issues going on. Wouldn't fly the selected Altitude and was consistently off by +/- 800 feet. Also the NAV mode seemed wonky, wouldn't fly the magenta line. On Approach (on an ILS no less) it was waaaaaaaaaaaay off center.

TBM 930 on the other hand, no issues whatsoever with the AP. Both FLC and V/S worked perfectly with my selected altitude. NAV via FMS worked fine.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Eh, only issue I've run into buying on Steam vs Windows Marketplace is that the Navigraph beta only supports Windows Marketplace at the moment.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome, after months of not having issues, I've suddenly developed the gamecrash when loading approach bug.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Kilonum posted:

It's supported the Steam version since like the second update.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Well that takes care of one of my gripes with MSFS2020.

Edit: Updating now with the beta, thanks!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

good luck trying to read your instruments in VR...if you have a gen 1 headset (HTC Vive OG, Oculus Rift/Quest/whatever it was called)

Fixed

If you have a WMR or any of the gen 2 (Quest 2, Vive Cosmos/Pro/Dong, Index) you should be good.

The difference in instrument clarity between OG Vive and my Lenovo Explorer (WMR) was night and day.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 27, 2020

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Lord Stimperor posted:

FYI there's a sale in the MSFS2020 store. Might get the Mooney. Or maybe an airport close to home. Or nicer scenery for Singapore or Tokyo.

I'm trying to resist temptation to pick up both the Ovation and Seminole.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Lord Stimperor posted:

If anyone considers getting the Ovation, here's my opinion: it's fun, get it.

It is modelled quite lovely, with lots of little cosmetic details. It is very quick and nimble, with a roll rate and maneuverability so surprising that I needed to double-check that the sim rate wasn't accelerated. Landings and take-offs are easy, although the groud handling is a bit odd; on the tarmac, the plane feels a little bit as though it was on ice. It also doesn't lose speed quickly, so on some approaches you might need to start out slow or side slip a little it more. The dashboard is beautiful, what with its mix of digital and analogue gauges. The avionics suite has everything you need for IFR including an autopilot. The autopilot is pretty interesting even, given that it has a mode where you can control the pitch of the aircraft. The avionics are a little more complex than in the Skyhawk though, and I haven't yet figured out how to get a control which data go into which navigation instrument. If you're using NeoFly, it's a fine addition to a 'young' company since it's a clear upgrade from the Skyhawk (curiously, NeoFly let's it buy you super cheaply). So in summar it's beautiful, it's fast, it's capable, get it.

Was on the fence on purchasing it, but you just convinced me to do it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

slidebite posted:

So RE the USA update, is anyone noticing weird elevation artifacts? I can only think it's elevation issues.

This is about 20 or so miles west of Bozeman, MT the metropolis of Whitehall (MT41).

Also, for what it's worth, I have yet to have MSFS crash on me at all. 9900K and 1080ti.

Actually, that might be a lie, it may have once shortly after release - but other than that been super stable.

Yeah, there seems to be an issue with the latest patch and elevation artifacts.

Related bug thread here

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

soggybagel posted:

It would seem that the honeycomb throttle quadrant may be taking new orders at the beginning of February. The site lists them as sold out but with a new notice saying all orders placed will ship by February 6th and I've noticed other re-sellers listing new orders being available in mid march...so here's hoping we get a shot at a preorder soon.

I was able to place a backorder, order with Adorama a couple weeks ago. Their site shows it as "On Backorder, Expected to arrive by 02/15/2021".

Edit: Another place to keep an eye out is the X Plane org store. They had Alpha Yoke stock in October when all the other resellers were still sold out/back ordered and I was able to snag one then.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 21, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

VATSIM, Pilot's Edge, POSCON, et al will always be better than any built in ATC that comes with a game.

The 124th ATC mod was better than the default XP11 ATC but the bar is set really, REALLY low.

Edit: Don't be this guy. If you don't have a rudimentary understanding of how the radios work, you're going to have a bad time.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 11, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

The WT CJ4 is probably the closest thing we have to a study level aircraft in MSFS2020...

...and it just keeps getting better.

Seriously, between their discord and how-to videos on Youtube, it's legit.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I mean with the current track record, are we really that surprised that the update is both underwhelming and also breaks a handful of things?

It seems like business as normal to me.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Honeycomb Alpha Yoke in Stock at XPlane.org Store

FWIW, I got mine from the ORG store last year when it randomly came in stock. Shipping was pretty quick too.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

In fairness, his complaint is with the development team and the direction they've taken. The reviewer sounds like he's fully invested (or was), so to me there's two possibilities. One, he's bonkers and shouldn't be listened to; or two, the developers are incompetent crazy people who won't listen to anyone. Truth probably in the middle somewhere (I'd lean towards the developers).

I busted a$# to even get the devs to take a look at a few samples to prove some very obvious game breaking bugs that were about to be released to stable… Those ended up getting fixed… but the next week when I went to provide more feedback I was muted on the official discord… and then banned after being unmuted for saying that I got muted for feedback…

I'm leaning more towards the bonkers side

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

PT6A posted:

So, I gather some of you have probably run into the same problem I'm having: what is a good chair to get without wheels so that, when you press rudder pedals, you don't simply gently caress off backward across the room? I'm using a dining chair at the moment, but I don't love it compared to my office chair, which would be fantastic but for the wheels.

I just started using these to keep my chair in place. Just one of them placed in the front works great.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Not sure if this is an early April Fools but...

This was posted to Navigraph's Facebook.

quote:

Navigraph acquires SimBrief

Navigraph, the flight simulation community’s trusted source for updated charts and navigational data, today announced that it has acquired SimBrief, the flight simulation community’s most popular flight planning software.

The acquisition is a natural progression of the already close collaboration between Navigraph and SimBrief. It builds on the integration between the two platforms existing since 2013 and provides the ability to do flight planning using up to date navigational data.

SimBrief’s flight planning functionality will continue to be free. Users who want to use the most current navigational data can subscribe to Navigraph and unlock the AIRAC cycles in SimBrief, as before.
“SimBrief founder Derek has done an outstanding job creating a flight planning service which the flight simulation community loves.” says Magnus Axholt, CEO and co-founder of Navigraph. “We plan to integrate SimBrief and Navigraph even further and enable additional functionality to SimBrief using the data and resources Navigraph has available.”
“Derek will play a key role as we develop some of the features in the next generation Navigraph Charts product. With the powerful combination of his real world aviation background and software development experience, Derek is a very welcome member of our skilled and multi-disciplinary Navigraph Development Team.
“We shall make SimBrief’s flight planning functionality even more accessible to developers in the community by structuring the SimBrief API together with Navigraph APIs in the upcoming Navigraph Developer Portal.” Magnus summarizes.

"Navigraph has been a strong SimBrief supporter from the very beginning.” Derek adds. “I have always enjoyed working with them to improve the integration between the two services. This very much feels like a natural progression, and I am excited to be a part of the team going forward.”
He goes on to say, "I'm confident that Navigraph's resources and experienced development team will not only help ensure that SimBrief remains available to the community for years to come, but also make for some exciting new features and improvements that wouldn't otherwise be possible.”
"I have been both humbled and incredibly grateful for the support the community has shown me since I launched SimBrief nearly eight years ago, and I'm looking forward to this next chapter in SimBrief's development." says Derek in closing.

SimBrief will continue to operate under the name SimBrief, but with the tag line “by Navigraph”.

Edit: It's apparently legit, Navigraph later responded: "Yeah. we were also a little concerned about announcing this so close to 1st of April"

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 31, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait, removing a loving icon on the toolbar = +10fps?

The gently caress is going on?

--edit:
Oh dear god, one guy is going all :byoscience: in that thread, claiming that downloading photogrammetry and generating geometry and rendering it is a purely sequential task, and things like ATC depend on it, and that's why the framerate is so poo poo.

Just for clarity, we're talking about just the icon being present and not having the actual map open?

What.The.gently caress

Edit: I also like the guy who was preaching about putting the cache/pagefile/poop on your fastest drive. By showing how much faster his NVMe is compared to an SSD. No poo poo sherlock.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 1, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

God the community is so dumb

The Internet Makes You Stupid.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

In another episode of "It Came from Reddit"

SimWorks Studios and Milviz are being hounded because their flight models are 'too realistic' and 'not fun'

The issue has to do with flap speeds and failures and apparently people don't like that. Reminds me a bit of the Spitfire thing posted earlier.

Edit: Ok, this seems to shed a bit more light. And the general thread seems to have become a slap fight between "Sims and Gamers"

quote:

The problem is that Simworks said themselves that they don't have hard data on when it breaks as the number varies due to so many factors. Also, their implementation ignore the sim realism setting so it can cause a lot of confusion (not really their fault though). I think rolling back this particular feature makes sense for the time being until the sim gives more detailed control on damage modeling.

quote:

People seem not to be reading the actual post. Most sim fans should be happy for the reversion. They had hard coded an automated flaps retract into the sim (not a feature of the actual plane). They also added an unavoidable failure that kicked at a specific speed (rather than some more realistic combination of factors)...

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 5, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Big if true

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Going to get the F-18, should I also get Supercarrier or Syria? (Already have NTTR, the OG A10, and Huey)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant is In Stock at the X-Plane ORG Store

Edit: WAS in stock for about 15 minutes. :v:

Edit 2: "Sales Paused - Check back in a few hours"

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 16, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Zero One posted:

Availability: Not for Sale.

That was fast.

Still showing as in-stock for me.

Edit: The site was getting hammered pretty hard right before I posted previously.

Edit edit: out of stock as of 2:30 PM EST.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 16, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

My Honeycomb Bravo arrived yesterday. Overall I'm impressed, my only real knock is that the knobs on both the GA and Commercial levers are way smaller than I expected.

My only real beef is that the setup in MSFS 2020 is a loving pain in the balls, but that's more of a MSFS issue. Setting it up in X-Plane 11 was stupid simple.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And now my MSFS2020 keeps CTD'ing once I get loaded in and hit "Ready to Fly", goddammit.

Different airplanes, different airports, same CTD. Even tried clearing out my Community folder just in case it was a mod issue, no dice.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Rot posted:

I'm jealous.

I literally got the Alpha yoke today and after a couple flights I'm over the moon.

Here's hoping I can find a Bravo in stock (in Canada, preferably) sometime.

What's the go-to stop gap? I could get a Saitek throttle assembly for $80cdn and then flip it on eBay when I get a Bravo but I did my flights tonight with my Thrustmaster HOTAS throttle set up on the r/h side. It wasn't perfect but got the job done, I suppose.

I pretty much did the same thing using my CH Pro Throttle on the right. It was a bit awkward but it got the job done until I was able to get my Bravo.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

How are the Mi8 and the Gazelle? I'm thinking about picking both up while they're on sale but wanted to make sure there weren't any glaring issues.

I'm enjoying the crap out of the F-18, Syria, Persian Gulf, and Super Carrier. Thanks for the goon suggestions.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I've heard nothing but good things about that stick both here and elsewhere.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

So let me get this straight… CS releases a Triple 7 and to keep the development time and COSTS down…they tell you UPFRONT that it uses the 747 gauges so that their is no confusion as to what you are buying. They even include screen shots showing the gauges so buyers can see BEFORE buying it.

One or two people buy it, then don’t like it, and come to the forums to rip the plane apart, rip the developer apart, and basically insult any one and every one who ever bought a CS product…

Give me a break! It is a $30 plane…$30!!! You can’t buy a steak dinner for $30, and for that money with CS you get a fully flyable airliner complete with multiple liveries, not to mention future updates as time permits.

I read every post on this thread and it seems a lot of people’s memories are rather short re: FSX and every single developer back then whose every product (including PMDG) were released with issues and took months (if ever) to correct them.

Simple solution…if you don’t like CS then don’t buy!

I am off to fly my new United 777…see ya on the ramp.

lol

Edit: This one made me chuckle

quote:

New 777 by Captain Sim…ple.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

For what it's worth, I've been having issues with constant CTD's on finals.

Seem to be more prevalent when I use the in game flight planner.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I spent my weekend disassembling my Bravo Throttle Quadrant to fix the first throttle axis (the speed brake/one closest to the trim wheel) after it broke.

I'll post my write up later but I'll just say I have some serious concerns about longevity when it comes to this thing.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I just hope it fixes my CTD issues that have crept up over the past few months. It's gotten bad enough that I've been flying more in XP11 .

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I think I finally got my MSFS 2020 CTD issues under control. It appeared to be somewhat connected to the AMD Adrenaline software/drivers (go figure) and their "automatic" settings. I switched it over to manual control with a slight overlock and slight undervolt and the CTD's without error messages have disappeared.

I still get the very occasional stutter where things drop to 1 FPS for a few seconds but things then catch back up.

Overall performance seems to be decent/stable. I'm at 1440p, Ultra settings and getting 30ish in major cities and 50+ at cruise or non-urban areas. Currently doing a flight in the WT CJ4, I'm at FL400 over Texas at 45-55 FPS. The biggest thing for me though is that it doesn't CTD.

For reference, R5 3600, 6800XT, 32 GB of DDR4-3600.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

PT6A posted:

Yeah, basically my issue with the 530 and the G1000 is that they are essentially unusable to fly the way you would expect to fly in real life. :words:

This has been one of my biggest gripes coming from XP11. Half of the GPS functions aren't there and the ones that are barely work.

The WT G1000/3000 mod and the GTN750 mod definitely help, but I just wish the GPS was on par with XP11's implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Things seem smoother and I'm seeing a about a 10-20 FPS boost.

The Carenado M20R Ovation seems to be broken though, can't manipulate the fuel tank selector. Tried flipping it over to legacy and still couldn't do it.

Edit: It probably just needs to be updated for SU5