Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

sigher posted:

Do I need the game on the MS store for that? Or is it a separate download to get into the testing? I have a Steam copy, so I assumed betas are being delivered to people who own the game on the MS Store at this point since the game is out now.

It's a bit of a moot question since they aren't taking any more beta applicants right now. If you're not in already, you'll have to wait until the next time they open it up to try and get in.

Presumably, though, they'd flag your MS account for access and you'd download a test build from the MS store regardless of where you bought it previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They haven't been able to work out the licensing stuff yet with the airlines is what they've said on the topic.

There are a shitload of community-made liveries you can install, however.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sagebrush posted:

Will they make the deciduous trees lose their leaves finally??? It's literally just a fuckin model swap

This is a somewhat more complicated problem to solve if you want to do it dynamically.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Working Title Garmin (G1000 and G3000) mods are also great. Tons of little improvements and it's super nice having certain settings saved between sessions/planes.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

All that does is make a symlink, so it didn't/wouldn't make a difference.

As a rule, any game that uses its own launcher instead of Steam to download the game is not going to play well with Steam's file validation tool.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sleepytime posted:

Yep, that's the one.

That's the Steam version of FSX you're seeing.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Shipon posted:

Holy crap that's awesome, I'll definitely be on the lookout for one of these things. I bought a Streamdeck thinking I could use that with one of the event handlers but it's definitely more annoying to use.

AxisAndOhs appears to have Streamdeck support as well, so you may still be able to get some good use out of it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mokotow posted:

What's a good source for FS2020 news? Google search gives me mostly lovely SEO sites, and Avsim sucks.

If you're mostly looking for general state of the sim/dev update stuff, they do a monthly-ish Q&A video on the official youtube channel. Seems like everyone else putting out news usually just pulls from that and maybe tosses in some third-party plane announcements.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

stinky ox posted:

Good lord this is so much nicer in VR. Landing the drat plane is so much better when you're not having to choose between looking straight out the front or pressing the hat switch to look straight out the side whilst being very much too low to be able to see out over the nose, or just slightly too low if you press the change view button at the right time... when you can just look out the plane like a normal person lining up for your final approach and judging when to flare becomes natural and intuitive instead of something you can never get quite right. You actually start to get a feel for flying the plane. It's great. Flying the sim is so much more enjoyable.

The curse of it though is that it's really making me want a new PC with a GPU that humans can't actually buy yet :(

You'd get more performance back by ditching VR and using TrackIR instead.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

i am kiss u now posted:

LOL if anyone can go back to 2D from VR even if performance is horrendous.

Hi. It's pretty easy if you're running a Rift CV1 and you can't even read the gauges on top of it running like hammered rear end with interpolation artifacts everywhere.

Anyway, if the main (practical) benefit you're getting out of VR is head tracking, there are waaaaaay cheaper and less demanding ways to get that.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's also why I want jet fighters.

The MB-339 is a hoot, if being a subsonic trainer not that's that much bigger than a Cessna 172 doesn't turn you off.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

GutBomb posted:

Maybe the main practical benefit you’re getting out of VR is head tracking but we don’t all have ancient headsets. All of my instruments are clear. There’s a proper sense of scale and depth. It’s also cool as gently caress.

No, the main practical benefit of VR for me is Beat Saber. I have TrackIR for head tracking in FS2020.

I'm not making GBS threads on VR. I enjoy VR quite a bit, just not in FS2020. Part of that is my old-rear end Rift, but part of that is lovely performance on FS2020's part. ASW can only go so far.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 17, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

slidebite posted:

Was there an MSFS update coming this week?

Also, question to ask:

Recently upgraded a 1080ti to a 3090. First thing I tried was the challenge, landing the A320 at dusk. I noticed a couple of "hiccups" like frame rate staggers while playing it, mostly shortly after starting it... but other than that it was very smooth.

I don't remember if that happened originally with the ti.

Anyone recall if that's normal?

All I did for uninstall of the old 1080ti was uninstall the drivers, swapped cards, rebooted (windows then automatically did something to give me my proper desktop rez) and then I re-installed the newest drivers as with a clean install option checked.

That doesn't sound abnormal. It could have been shaders recompiling for the new card, or it may have been hitting the cpu loading texture data from the cloud or something and not have had anything to do with the gpu at all.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If it's just the rudder axis and it also happens on other machines, it might be fixable by taking apart the stick and going at the rudder potentiometer with some deoxit, if you're feeling handy and/or don't want to deal with warranty support (if applicable).

I've done this a couple times when the twist rudder on my T.16000m has started acting up. Disassembly/reassembly can be annoying, but it beats buying a new stick if you're out of warranty.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cancelbot posted:

Are any of the fighter jets in the FS2020 store any good? Don't want to drop money on something that's crappy and the store page doesn't contain any reviews for them.

The MB-339 and T-45C from Indiafoxtecho, and the Fiat G91 from Sim Skunk Works are all pretty good. I'd buy them through OrbX though, that way updates don't need to go through Microsoft's certification process and so you get them quicker.

None of the supersonic fighters available right now are particularly good, unfortunately.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Project Wingman, though it and Ace Combat is best played with a controller, the joystick support for both is pretty much just a gimmick.

I much prefer both with a stick over a controller.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

TescoBag posted:

Anyone know what version of the garmin the king air uses? I'm looking for a mod for it but I don't know which one to install.

G3X, I believe.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

azflyboy posted:

Probably the two biggest 3rd party sites are Justflight (they sell their own stuff, and some from other developers), and simmarket.

Justflight tends to be a bit more expensive, but their stuff is usually very good, and the 3rd party stuff they sell tends to be pretty high quality as well.

Simmarket is kind of like the Alibaba or Amazon of FS add-ons, since they'll let basically anyone list anything there, which means there's some really good stuff (indiafoxtecho and Sim Skunk Works come to mind), and some absolute crap, since they've had more than a few products get yanked when it was discovered the developers had stolen content from someone else or released something they didn't have rights to.

On the smaller end, OrbX also has their own store where they sell planes from other folks as well as their own scenery packs. Limited plane selection, but what's there is good quality. They also have their own downloader/update client to make managing things a bit easier.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I was also getting crashes and hard system resets in the sim (and also not in the sim). Check Event Viewer for possible hints, in my case there were WHEA errors pointing directly to my CPU as the culprit. That has since been replaced and all is well.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

slidebite posted:

That looks intriguing.

I am not an add-on buyer, but I could be tempted by a small jet, preferably single engine that gets me to where I want to go 2x faster than a personal prop AC. Anything fit the bill?

T-45C or MB-339, both from Indiafoxtecho.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Direct3D12 support is finally coming next month. I'm curious how much that'll do to performance.

They've repeatedly said they're moving to it for feature support rather than performance, so I wouldn't expect much.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Unsinkabear posted:

Get out. That three pack is $260 now!

I'm betting that $120 was just for the stick and throttle, the full set was always over $200 iirc.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

DLSS can do some really impressive stuff (something like Minecrat RTX is as perfect a use-case as I've seen, if you're looking for one), but it's not a universal silver bullet like some folks make it out to be.

It's worlds better than any non-temporal upscaling solution I've seen, though. Easily good enough that most people wouldn't know it wasn't native in most cases if you didn't tell them.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Squiggle posted:

Been wondering this for a bit - what do you do when starting from a parking spot somewhere, and there's no pushback, but you're facing forward through a bunch of refueling poo poo or a building or something?

Either use slew mode to turn around or use the pushback hot key.

Or reverse thrust, if available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but if it was part of the base scenery all the heavy stuff would just be part of the streamed data and not installed, wouldn't it? It'd just be another area with high resolution assets available like many that already exist like New York.

That's already how it works, though. Textures are streamed, custom geometry isn't.