Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Too bad multiplayer seems to happen in multiple instances. I reloaded on EDDL on the same geographic server, and there's entirely different people around now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think it's instance based. There's simply a hard cap on the number of internet people the game will track and render, and it seems to pick them at random when you're loading into an area with lots of players.
Hmmm, really? I was just surprised, because when I went to the main menu, the sky and airport were relatively busy, when I hopped immediately back in, there were suddenly just only six other nametags.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is there an auto setting for what regional server you connect to? It might be that it switched servers on you.
Yeah, there's an automatic option, which I've set to West Europe a while ago already.

--edit:
ATC-Pilot interaction isn't always consistent either.

EDDL ATC sends me to the runway via taxiways C-A, my virtual copilot confirms C-D-C-A-C-A instead and the route goes unnecessarily part over the runway.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 11, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Uh, so the mach bug on the 78X, does it break drag simulation? I've been going 320kn at 10500ft, then did a controlled dive to 1500ft because I wanted to see who was at a local airport, and then the plane coasted around 240-250kn at +/- 0FPM VS and it barely shed speed. I was controlling thrust manually, and engines were at idle.

--edit:
Right now I'm descending at 1400FPM, with 260kn, but according to the artificial horizon, I'm not even at -0.5 and the plane doesn't shed speed either with engines at idle.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 11, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So, uh, autothrottle doesn't work anymore in the 787? Or at least it broke here after I let the plane climb from take-off to 16000ft. Causing the plane to overspeed when leveling out. The gently caress?

--edit: I'm now flying level at 270kn, and the nose is like 7 up to maintain altitude.

Jesus loving Christ, Asobo!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 14, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wish they'd add a tiny bit of jitter in the placement of the lights, to look more real.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

uXs posted:

A lot of the lights in Belgium aren't turned on anymore, only when there's bad weather.
Didn't get the memo over here yet. The highway's always lit when it's getting dark, for the whole night, even at dry weather.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That goddamn TTS.

My callsign is McMozzarella. It used to say it correctly, but now only the ATC does while my virtual pilot doesn't and spells out the letters instead.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Sim nerds get way too far up their own asses. When multiple sims do the same wrong thing, they start thinking it must be real. Racing sims used to have slippery as hell tires and people assumed that must be realistic because it's hard to drive. Then a sim would come out and people complain about the cars being on rails and the cars are too easy to drive, so they must be fake. Hard to drive means it's real. And then the devs bring up how they spent a bunch of time modeling how tires actually behave, and they hired an actual professional driver who has driven most of these cars in real life and he says it's good.
This is what annoyed me about the hate Project CARS got for their physics. Anything Ian Bell got is probably warranted, but everything else? If you have Ben Collins, which does do professional racing and stunt driving in movies, saying it's good enough, then GTPlanet can go gently caress itself.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

kojei posted:

The VR stuff is in the stable branch, so wherever you own the game, if your account is flagged for VR, you have access to it. That said, you're not going to be playing it on your Index. Not yet, anyway.
The second wave of VR beta testers includes non-WMR headsets, IIRC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

kojei posted:

Hence the "yet".
I thought they sent out the invites, as per their dev update?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Tiny Steam update, 12.75 MB updater download with a lot of small files patched. 4.24 GB from the marketplace for the USA update.
Weird, it's 252MB here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Soy Division posted:

12.75GB here. Maybe they patched some premium content?
The 252MB was just Steam. I just started the game, and another 13GB here, too.

God, I hope they finally hook up fiber to that new VDSL remote optical platform 20m from my house. Those mandatory big updates are painful, if you just want to do a quick flight.

--edit:
"Streetlights of smaller streets and roads should now be displayed more randomly"

I guess they heard my incessant bitching about too uniform lights.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

40% trim up on an 787 flying 320 knots IAS, is that supposed to be normal?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I am not a 787 pilot but doesn't sound all that normal. How are your fuel tanks balanced?
Default configuration, I have to check later today. I could swear it has the left and right tanks filled and the center one empty. I suppose its that then?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you have the Premium edition, the 787 is less automated. Autothrottle is a switch on the MCP. The plane however is nearly twice the size of the A320 and flies accordingly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Isn't the A320 supposed to have liveries? I can't see any.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ah OK. I thought there were supposed to be some already included.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

On the download screen in-game, you can select a custom folder. Do that, one outside of the game install folder, to avoid this poo poo the next time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's the 22nd, where's my VR update?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nah it was already completely outside the folder. Also helpfully after the initial base install by the content manager you still have to go into the marketplace, sort by Owned and manually queue the downloads for everything you already have (like the premium pack). Goddamn that part of the interface is still such hot garbage.
Hmm, interesting. I looked into my content folder, and even the premium content is in there.

You using the Steam or Windows Store version? Nevermind, dumb question.

Helter Skelter posted:

All that does is make a symlink, so it didn't/wouldn't make a difference.

My C:\FlightSimulatorData is a bonafide directory. --edit: And there aren't any symlinks from the install directory to that data directory.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 22, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea I wish they'd release it already. It's not just the Steam update itself, but the inevitable 30GB asset update that's gonna ruin my day.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here we go, updating on Steam.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gonna take a while, 15GB assets to download. Around 2.5 hours with my lovely internet.

I'm not expecting much from VR, given the current framerates. My only concern would be in regards to reprojection, hoping the sim renders wide enough to prevent flickering at the fringe for the most part, when rotating my head too quickly.

Change log has tons of airliner fixes. Still doesn't mention fixing the APU shutting down on the 787 when enabling the left side fuel pumps. :|

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

VR works OK I guess. I get the feeling like spatial data (head rotation and translation) is subsampled and makes things janky. Could be the game getting confused by messing with various SteamVR settings during runtime.

Motion smoothing is definitely a no-go for this game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently if you're using SteamVR, you're supposed to start SteamVR first before the game. There seems to be an issue where it drops frames. Sure seemed like it when I exited the game and dropped into SteamVR void, which had the same judder.

Then this setting apparently also has an effect:

And here's someone on the MSFS forums talking some stuff:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/...ve-index/321913

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

VR in MSFS definitely works smoother with the few tweaks I quoted earlier and starting SteamVR ahead. The Desktop Theater toggle is just to stop SteamVR getting involved during 2D mode.

The main offender in performance still seem to be the web browser instances for the glass cockpit. Because for one, if you go to third person view, frametimes improve a lot, and there's a performance difference between say the TBM and the 787, where latter has like at least twice the touch screens than the former.

Also, landing planes in VR seems easier. Especially the 787, which I've been setting down manually most of the times.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Wait what? Glass panels are rendered on actual instances of chrome? Lol gently caress software devs are lazy and stupid.
A whole lot of the simulation parts are in TypeScript and WebAssembly, actually.

Using Chromium to render the glass cockpit isn't so much an issue. The issue is that it seems to run on the main render thread instead of separate.

Reducing the rendering frame rate of the glass panels improves the game's total framerate. A hack initially found by the community, then later adopted by the devs. It should just render separately on a different thread and supply the final textures.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 24, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's wrong with that?

WebAssembly is just a different format to dump native code into (from things like C/C++ and so on), there's even WASM versions of the Visual Studio runtimes. And TypeScript gets JIT'd to native code.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 25, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BMan posted:

You seem misinformed, WASM is a VM that runs bytecode.
V8 in Chromium has a JIT for WASM.

BMan posted:

And yet WASM only exists because JS wasn't performant enough, curious!
I was bitching a while ago about why TypeScript still isn't as popular as JavaScript, as it surely would enable compilers in browsers to emit better code, but some goon here that worked on V8 before said JS JITs are pretty clever in inferring poo poo. --edit: As in, they create good native code, considering it's dynamically typed.

So eh.

Sapozhnik posted:

TypeScript doesn't get compiled down to WASM, it gets translated to JavaScript and in MSFS that JavaScript code gets executed by CoherentUI's JavaScript interpreter for the purposes of driving the HTML cockpit displays.
If Coherent is using Chromium, it uses the V8 JavaScript engine, which has a just-in-time compiler that creates native code for the JavaScript code in use. --edit: Actually, every recent web browser engine has a JS JIT, anyway.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 25, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wish someone would already make a proper MSFS2020 fighter jet. I've seen that F22, but it's a barely working FSX plane with no cockpit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DC Designs is gonna release their F-15 in roughly two weeks, as stand-alone because the MSFS store takes a while. And they're working on a F-22, too. Neat.

Definitely do want the F-22.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The latest SteamVR beta makes MSFS more bearable, because you can change the frame throttling behavior.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/...amvr/321913/371

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Also I don't really see the point in putting hyper-modern military jets in a civilian study sim because (1) none of the weapons and sensors will be implemented and (2) all the systems and interfaces will be best guesses anyway but to each their own.
Because it looks awesome!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I were to do long range flights, definitely not in VR, but scooting around random populated areas like a stunt pilot, hell yea. That's also why I want jet fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose FPV drone flying hardened me, because you're looking at a view, whose movements are entirely unrelated to your inner ear. The first few times, I started almost keeling over because my brain couldn't decide what cue to take for balance (eyes or ears), then for a while I was moving my head like Stevie Wonder, to eventually stand still and look like a normal person (as normal as you can look with FPV goggles on your face).

--edit:
How long until someone converts Night City from Cyberpunk 2077?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 18, 2021