Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

fuf posted:

what's a good MSFS2020 plane to download / buy if I just wanna fly around really fast while looking at scenery and listening to podcasts? the little planes I'm using are fun but kind of slow.

I use this

https://orbxdirect.com/product/indiafoxtecho-mb339-msfs

For exactly that purpose.

Edit: no autopilot might be a deal breaker though. Once trimmed it’s fine and the flight director will give you something to aim at, so it works for me as my go fast podcast machine

Rot fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Not nearly as realistic as the RealSimGear stuff but definitely not nearly as expensive (I paid less than $100 CDN), is to use a midi controller like the X-Touch Mini and an app like AxisAndOhs.

8 rotary dials, each with a button function, plus 16 buttons and dual layers means lots of functions can be handled. Through RPN scripting and button combos in AxisAndOhs you can expand even further.

This is my current layout, I use it in MSFS all the time and do 90% of my flights never touching the keyboard or trying to mouse around on a bouncing instrument panel.

For example, if I want to change the target altitude by 100ft, I turn the ALT encoder. But if I want to change the alt by 1000ft, I press and hold in the dial as I turn it. Similar to the nav radios and switching between MHz and kHz.

The author of AAO has added the ability to map to MSFS HTML_event variables, which means the MFD and PFD functions are now available.

This will be my new template, once I get the kinks worked out:

I started writing a bit of a guide to AAO + X-Touch Mini on the MSFS forums but it almost immediately got out of date, plus the users on that forum make me grumpy and saps my good will. I've since been working with the author of AAO to improve and expand some features. Hopefully things will get to a point where I can get down to writing a proper guide.

Rot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 3, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I presume that app you mentioned turns midi input into keystrokes?

Not quite. It talks to MSFS (and other sims) via Simconnect.

To pick an example, I think default MSFS kb mappings has Z as the autopilot toggle.

Instead of AAO sending "z" when you press the button assigned to AP, it will toggle the AP_MASTER Simconnect Event ID.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

AxisAndOhs appears to have Streamdeck support as well, so you may still be able to get some good use out of it.

There's also a demo version to try out to see if you get along with AAO or not.

It's a bit of an odd program and at times not very intuitive. But the documentation is good and the developer is very good at support.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Bedurndurn posted:

You can't actually control the garmin stuff in MSFS can you? I haven't flown anything since October, but last I'd played there weren't actually binds in the sim for the Garmin specific controls. So you can adjust the AP stuff (heading, alt, etc) and radios, but not like pages on the MFD or the knob that does the airport code input for your flight plans.

With my set up above I can control almost all the functions of the MFD and PFD in a G1000 plane. It's still a work in progress but I can use the FMS dial to swap between the map and Wx, or bring up a list of nearest airports, check out the ILS freq, and plot a DirectTo course. The softkey buttons are there too but it takes a bit of fiddling around with the XTouch Mini for all that to work.

Also, I highly recommend the Working Title G1000 (and G3000 and G3x) mods, they can be found on Github.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

And would any MIDI controller work, such as for instance the Akuria BeatStep (has more encoders so might be more convenient)?

As far as I know, any midi controller would work. Just make sure that the encoders can be turned continuously, some have stops. There's a new version of AAO coming up that can work around this but it won't be as nice as being able to spin the knobs freely.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

For me, the sweet spot is an ultrawide monitor and my homemade TrackIR (PS3 camera, Opentrack, and some IR LEDs mounted on the mic boom of a broken set of David Clarks). Once set up properly it's very immersive.

Although I think VR would be badass if there were gliders in MSFS2020, for any aircraft more advanced I'm too attached to fiddling with the knobs on my midi controller, or thumbing through an old Flight Supplement, etc. Plus my wife already scares the poo poo out of me when she walks in while I got the headphones on, I couldn't imagine how awkward it would be if I got a VR rig attached to my face.

Snipe tax. Here's my extremely unhelpful copilot:

Rot fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 18, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Ballooning sounds awesome. I really should get myself on a flight one of these days.

I wanted to update the thread on my progress re: the X-Touch Mini, AxisAndOhs, and MSFS2020.

As of right now I have various autopilot and avionics functions working AND almost complete control of the G1000 PFD and MFD!

This is the template I'm currently using. I'm not super happy with all the labels and flow but it's good enough for now.

It works as follows:

Rotating the encoders changes the values of the functions indicated on the top, the pressing the encoder will trigger the function on the bottom.
EX: turning the HDG knob will move the heading bug, pressing the knob in will sync the bug with the current heading

Any button you see that's labeled with two items and a slash between them, uses a "shift" function (AAO calls these "combos"). Think of these just like the shift key on your keyboard: not holding shift = a, holding shift = A.
EX: pressing the TAXI / STRB button without holding the combo toggles the taxi lights. Holding the combo will toggle the strobes.
It's not marked on the template but the combo function also works to shift the functions of the encoders. For example, turning the ALT knob unshifted will adjust the reference altitude by 100ft, shifted will adjust by 1000ft.

Any label in a lighter shade of grey uses Layer B of the X-Touch Mini. Note the buttons on the far right: those are the Layer A (medium grey, the default) and Layer B (lighter grey).
Activating Layer B will make the functions highlighted in lighter grey accessible.
EX: Layer A active and you can diddle the NAV1 frequency (and shift between MHz/kHz), Layer B active means you can change NAV2. Pressing in the knob will swap appropriately.

The big one:
AAO can now handle HVARs (html variables) from MSFS. This is a big deal because now the PFD/MFD functions are accessible!

You can see that I have some buttons labelled as direct-to or menu or whatever. These will trigger the appropriate buttons (PFD on the left, MFD on the right). Note the 8th encoder, this handles the FMS knob on the MFD. Unshifted is the lower knob, shifted it the upper knob.
EX: Press the MFD Direct-To button and use the MFD FMS knob to dial in an airport, then hold the combo button and hit MENU/ENT to activate.

You can also see that I have some buttons assigned to handle the G1000 softkeys, when in Layer B. Softkeys 1 - 6 are unshifted, 7 - 12 are shifted. This is so if you're running the G1000 mods and some aircraft mods you can access things like the engine performance pages, or switch the map to Track Up, adjust the screen brightness, etc.

A final fun trick is by using RPN scripting, I can control the leds on the X-Touch Mini, to show system status.
EX: Regardless of how I switch on the pitot heat (via physical button or mouse clicking on the cockpit button), the PITOT button's light will turn on or off appropriately.
A video might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4aY56uZls

Using my HOTAS and the X-Touch Mini set up as above, I have flown many flights without touching the mouse or kb (start, set up for take off, set up for cruise, dial in a direct route to an airport, set AP, find the destination's ILS freq, dial that in, fly to land and shut down). I will still need to mouse for some aircraft functions, usually because MSFS needs to improve the SDK but often its because I don't know what that function is so I don't use it. Or sometimes I'm just lazy (I often let the copilot handle changing the XPDR, or maybe I'll use the ingame ATC radio menu).

I'm doing all this on a beta version of AAO but once that gets released to the public I can post a detailed guide if there's any interest.

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 23, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I’ve already built a box with a bunch of rotary encoders/arduino just waiting for my combo of fsuipc7 and mobiflight to support some missing functions that aren’t currently exposed by msfs2020 (FMS is the big one)

Would AOO be useful for this, or is it really meant for midi controllers only?

I don't know about Arduino stuff specifically but AAO does work with all sorts of devices, not just midi controllers. Also I can't guarantee that it will play nice with fsuipc and such but on the MSFS forums there's people using both without issue.

There's a free trial that the author encourages people to check out before buying.

https://axisandohs.weebly.com/downloads.html

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

GutBomb posted:

mouse-knobs suuuuuuuck.

Oh god, I know.

The whole reason why I went down this path was looking for alternatives to mousing around the cockpit.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

If there's anyone here with an X-Touch Mini, a paid copy of AxisAndOhs, and is willing to do some testing, PM me.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

This guy's DA62 mod will get you FADEC:

https://flightsim.to/file/2733/da62x-project

Along with the Working Title G1000 mod, the DA62x is one of my most used aircraft and I highly recommend it.

I also want to plug this Carbon Cub mod because when I'm not in the DA62 I'm in this:

https://flightsim.to/file/3723/savage-carbon-stol-realism-mod

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

The Working Title folks, makers of the essential (imo) G1000/3000 mods, are now employed by Microsoft/Asobo to do their thing full time.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/working-title-joins-microsoft-flight-simulator-family-announcement-faq-twitch-segment/376585

This is a Big Deal and excellent news for everyone.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Good lord, what the hell is going on inside MSFS?

Typically I get about mid-30 to mid-40 fps with the G1000 planes (50 - 60 with a steam gauger), depending on where I'm flying - I got a combo of medium/high settings that work well for me at 2560x1080 on a 1660ti.

Last night I jump in and I'm crawling at 10 - 15 fps. Spent a bunch of time tweaking and troubleshooting and managed to get a steady 25.

Eventually, I cycle the VFR map off (not VISIBLE mind you, simply not available in the menu) and my fps immediately jump back up to the mid 40s.

??

What the gently caress is up with that map?

Is there some sort of bug where the game is told "ok, only update this thing at <whatever>" and that's taken as a global rate or something?

The strange part is, once I got my fps back to normal I could cycle the VFR map all day long, remove it or add it back to the menu as much as I want, make it visible move it resize it, whatever.....and the fps remained fine.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

sigher posted:

The iconic being on the menu tanks performance for some reason, it's a known issue.

Yeah, I know. I'm just venting/yelling at (lovingly rendered, volumetric) clouds.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

JayKay posted:

My Honeycomb Bravo arrived yesterday. Overall I'm impressed, my only real knock is that the knobs on both the GA and Commercial levers are way smaller than I expected.

My only real beef is that the setup in MSFS 2020 is a loving pain in the balls, but that's more of a MSFS issue. Setting it up in X-Plane 11 was stupid simple.

I'm jealous.

I literally got the Alpha yoke today and after a couple flights I'm over the moon.

Here's hoping I can find a Bravo in stock (in Canada, preferably) sometime.

What's the go-to stop gap? I could get a Saitek throttle assembly for $80cdn and then flip it on eBay when I get a Bravo but I did my flights tonight with my Thrustmaster HOTAS throttle set up on the r/h side. It wasn't perfect but got the job done, I suppose.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Hey folks, just a heads up that I posted my Thrustmaster HOTAS One and T.Flight rudder pedals for sale on the SA Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966917#post514488926

Between the Alpha yoke, a Saitek throttle quadrant, and my new VKB pedals, I got a pretty compact system that's working really well, so it's time to pass these on to someone else.

EDIT: That was a quick sale.

Rot fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 5, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Kesper North posted:

nyogel 767a sounds like a Boeing product

Absolutely does.

I still have a container of Boelube[tm] tumbling around in my metal working toolbox.

Say what you want about the end product but when it comes to tooling and associated materials/lubricants/consumables, Boeing has their poo poo on lock.

Rot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 7, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Bentai posted:

Are there any good tablet-based programs that can let me change radio/nav stuff? The ones I found are either linked to only a single plane, or are one of those "use your tablet as a second monitor" deal.

I’ve used this from time to time. Although mostly for the moving map.

https://flightsim.to/file/2828/msfs-mobile-companion-app

It seemed pretty solid

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Now that MSFS has been out a bit, any "must have" mods or planes people can recommend? I'm getting back into it and want to have some fun.

Sim Update 5 broke a bunch of stuff but things will be put back together soon enough.

My favourite mods, some paid most free, in no order:
WT CJ4
WT g1000 (soon to be replaced by g1000 nxi)
Got Gravel Savage Carbon
Diamond DA62X
PMS gtn750/650 and gns530
Just Flight Turbo Arrow (using the PMS mods above)
G36 Improvement
4 Seasons Pack (way better trees)
Enhanced Live Traffic + IVAO liveries
Global Ship AI
LiDAR-based terrain mesh for BC
Bunch of airports/scenery of varying quality

And MSFS Addons Linker to keep your Community folder under control

Rot fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 4, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Rot posted:

Sim Update 5 broke a bunch of stuff but things will be put back together soon enough.

My favourite mods, some paid most free, in no order:
WT CJ4
WT g1000 (soon to be replaced by g1000 nxi)
Got Gravel Savage Carbon
Diamond DA62X
PMS gtn750/650 and gns530
Just Flight Turbo Arrow (using the PMS mods above)
G36 Improvement
4 Seasons Pack (way better trees)
Enhanced Live Traffic + IVAO liveries
Global Ship AI
LiDAR-based terrain mesh for BC
Bunch of airports/scenery of varying quality

And MSFS Addons Linker to keep your Community folder under control

Now that I'm not phone posting I can elaborate a bit:

Yes, the folks at Working Title are working as partners with Asobo. For now you can find the CJ4, G1000, G3000, and G3X mods on their website and/or github. The upcoming G1000 NXi is already on the official marketplace as a free addon. From what I read in their discord channel, the NXi will soon be the default G1000. Currently it is in "early access", so while there's lots of functionality, there's lots more to come.

The WT G1000 mod (v0.4.0 from their github) is required for the Diamond DA62x, DA40x, and G36 mods (plus others). Among many other things it provides engine and lean pages for various aircraft. This is my goto until the NXi gets fleshed out.

The GG Savage Carbon is just a fun bush plane to bomb around in. Got Gravel has made a few more similar planes but I like this one the best.

PMS GTN750 is a super fun mod that will bring a 750 to any plane that supports it. But there's also a pop-out panel that can be used on any plane. I combine this with the Savage Carbon all the time. I also use it in the JF Turbo Arrow when I want to feel fancy.

So far, the WT G1000, WT G1000 NXi, and the GTN750 (I think?) all interfere with each other, so this is where the MSFS Addons Linker comes in handy. With a few clicks you can set which mods you want with which aircraft and away you go. Sooner or later I imagine these incompatibilities will disappear as the non-NXi G1000 becomes deprecated and the 750 gets updated to play nice.

The 4 Seasons Pack is a must-have, imo. It will bring more realistic trees to basically everywhere in the world, and can be changed to match the seasons. Basically you get 4 folders and choose one to install for a particular season. Again the addons linker shines because now you can change the seasons with a couple clicks instead of moving folders around. The 4 Seasons Pack is available on the official marketplace but I strongly discourage you from getting it there. MS is super slow when it comes to updating the items on the marketplace and these mods move very fast. I bought mine from Simmarket and get updates as fast as the developer releases them.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I made a custom mod for my desk for the Honeycomb yoke. I replicated the attachment "knob" that connects the yoke to the baseplate with a washer and a bolt. Then I put a threaded insert into my desktop, and screwed the new replicated knob into that. So I can just slide the yoke onto the knob, and I'm ready to go in seconds. When I'm done, keyboard goes back in place and covers the knob, so it remains hidden.

So much easier than the sticky pad, or desk clamps.

Oh that's a cool idea. I might steal this if I ever get my hands on a Bravo.

Here's my solution:

Alpha and Saitek mounted on one of those cheap particle boards for shelves. The yoke's mounting plate is screwed to the board and Saitek is bolted on directly. Drawer handles on either side help me move it around.

I used those little wooden pegs that hold Ikea furniture together as locating studs for the Honeycomb clamps. A USB hub is stuck behind the Saitek which means I just have to plug in my pedals and a USB cable from my computer.

You can also see my solution to the lack of toe brakes on the VKB pedals (which I very much highly recommend). I really would like differential braking but for the price and quality of the VKBs I can live without.

When I'm done playing with my toy airplanes, I just unplug the hub, remove the clamps, and move everything onto a shelf behind me. Super convenient and my wife has stopped making fun of me.

Rot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 14, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

kalleth posted:

That looks awesome. And now I'm frantically googling to figure out what that "Arrow IV" button box is, too.

Phone posting but that's an xtouch mini. A ways up the thread I discuss how I use it

EDIT:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942445&userid=77537#post511918105

And here's a (somewhat out of date but still works in principle) link to my G1000 settings. scripts, and a template for Photoshop so you can edit and print out your own overlay:

https://flightsim.to/file/11381/garmin-g1000-template-for-axis-and-ohs-and-x-touch-mini

Rot fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 14, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ashamed to say that I still haven't copied your X-Touch mini setup yet. I was googling frantically for the differences between minute versions of it and then got distracted by life. My preferred setup is pretty much what you have right now (we have the same pedals, and I need an easy-to-stow solution as well).

I've been meaning to make an update and post some of my other templates on to flightsim.to but frankly I burnt out super hard with all the stupid questions and demands, just from posting my original G1000.

Not the folks here, mind you. But the official forums and the users of flightsim.to are generally so out to goddamn lunch and I just can't handle it. I have no idea how people who make actual mods do it. The guy who makes the da62 and da40 mods is awesome - has a short fuse when dealing with fools and I really like that about him.

Anyways, the template and scripts I made for the Piper Arrow is probably my best and most useable one yet....except I had a stoner moment and got the labels mixed up for the AP coupler :saddumb:

And then SU5 broke some stuff and on and on....

One of these days I'll clean things up and post them up to flightsim.to

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

There's a known bug where the ATC will continuously request that you expedite your climb, so at least that specific error you posted is on the books.

I have no idea what might be going on with the Diamond. In the real world a low or high idle can be related to ambient temperature, but I don't know if MSFS simulates that effect. I thought the DA62 had a FADEC anyway? That should give a rock solid idle regardless of conditions.

This is my semi-regular reminder for the thread to check out this DA-62 mod, which has a proper FADEC (or as close as the sim can get)

https://flightsim.to/file/2733/da62x-project

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

One in the Bum posted:

Anyone holding out for Honeycomb products, it looks like they have new stock getting out to retailers. Sportys.com now lists the Bravo as in stock and I was able to place an order. Should arrive this Friday. I got an Alpha from them last week. The price has gone up by 30 bux due to increased manufacturing costs.

...just as I was handed a $350 bonus from the boss :tinfoil:

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

For those in Canada and the Lower Mainland, this new shop in Maple Ridge has a couple Bravos in stock:

https://opencockpitshop.com/collections/honeycomb-aeronautical/products/honeycomb-bravo-throttle-quadrant

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Just as a follow up - Bravo showed up today. Shipping was quick, price was right. I've unboxed the kit and it looks pretty good - tonight I'll hook everything up.

Brand new shops can appear to be kinda sketch but Open Cockpit Shop seems legit.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I ordered one too. It doesn't show as fulfilled yet but it does show out of stock (showed 1 when I ordered).

I wasn't even in the market :lol:

Thanks for the peer pressure/FOMO!

:woop:

Yeah this thing is pretty great. I haven't done much as far as set up yet (just single ga at the moment) but the trim wheel and lights indicating a gear swing are pretty fun.

It works really well with my concept of installing everything on a board, too:

I got to be more careful about putting everything away but it still fits on a shelf nice and tidy:

EDIT: hoo boy

Rot fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 5, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

It's now been 2 days since I ordered and I still have no update on it and it hasn't shipped/ shows as unfulfilled on their website. I might have to call them to cancel as I'm going to be gone all next week and I don't want this sitting on my step.

Oh that's lame.

They fulfilled my order within a couple hours so yeah, it looks like you've been put on some sort of backorder list. I'd definitely give them a call.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

Great, just called them at the ph# listed on their website and it just rang and rang for 3 minutes with no answer/VM.

Sent them an email with my order # asking to cancel. Let's see how this goes.

Oh boy.

So much for my ringing endorsement!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Moving forward I'm going to be more careful with my endorsements but I wanted to bring attention to this little bit of software:

https://github.com/RoystonS/BetterBravoLights

https://flightsim.to/file/21253/better-bravo-lights

It replaces the AFC_Bridge from Honeycomb that's required to make the lights work on the Bravo.

I gave it a go last night and it seemed to work pretty well. It basically does the same thing as AFC_Bridge but is configurable per-aircraft.

For example maybe you'd like to change the OIL PRESSURE LOW threshold to something that is closer to the POH, or maybe switch from a 12v to 24v system or whatever.

I immediately switched the logic of the ANTI ICE light to come on when I switch pitot heat on, instead of the default (light on when system is off)

Rot fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 7, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I'm glad you're all having fun with Microsoft Flight "Simulator" 2020 but I always log my flights in an Approved Pilot's Flight Log in ALL CAPS BLACK PEN ONLY and anything less RUINS MY IMMERSION and makes this "game" UNPLAYABLE :argh:

But seriously, as much as I don't care about the logbook I am kinda curious about how much time I put into this mess. The whys and hows of the MSFS logbook workings is a complete mystery to me.

Rot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 7, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I added some ir leds to a broken set of David Clarks. Combined with a PS3 Eye, some filters to only let IR through, and OpenTrack, I couldn't be happier.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff scooped this up, way to go!

Anyone interested in this?

FREE to a welcoming :canada: Canadian :canada: home....maybe you could send me something small and silly in return. Looks ugly but works fine.

It's obviously very used, has some screw holes in the top from another project, and comes with fancy Lego levers for gear, parking brake, flaps. Also included is the desk clamp, the extra lever tops, and some lovely 3d printed levers for a dual engine jet.

I think I might have the mounting screws somewhere but no guarantees. However, you do get half a screw FREE :

Comes already cross-threaded and snapped....what a deal!

Rot fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 9, 2022

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

Wow, this thread is super dead if nobody even replied to that generous offer!

I've still got a bravo sitting next to me in a box but a few years ago would have taken you up on that otherwise!

Yeah I'm kinda surprised too. Oh well, eventually someone will take it.

Fayez Butts posted:

I'll be driving through eastern Ontario in July if you're anywhere near there

I'm on the other end of the country but it'll be pretty cheap for me to send this to any major area in Ontario. Hit me up if you remember and maybe we can work something out.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Chubby Henparty posted:

Thanks, that's reassuring. Its mainly going to serve as an extra button box so I won't have to grip the actual throttle much, but still eww gross

You could dust your hand with talcum powder and then rub the sticky bits of the rubber. That should take care of it for a little while at least.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Gotta say I'm pretty pleased with the new update process.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I modified the pitch axis spring on my Honeycomb Alpha, to make it a little softer:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/honeycomb-alpha-pitch-modification/526091

Rot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I've been spending time in the SU 10 Beta and I'm pretty blown away by the performance increase given by just enabling DLSS.

My PC:
Ryzen 5 5600x
RTX 3060ti
32G of RAM
3440x1440 100Hz monitor
Tobii Eye Tracker 5

Not the most powerful machine out there but not a potato either and I never had much to complain about how the game performs. But here the results are so good I almost don't believe it.

The in-game graphics settings are HIGH across the board.

Regular TAA, 100% render scaling (so, the native 3440x1440), 55 FPS:

In SU 9 I locked this to 50 FPS (half monitor refresh) and enjoyed a smooth experience without wringing the GPU's neck. Looking around with the Tobii was a touch stuttery but certainly nothing to complain about (or so I thought at the time)

DLSS - Quality, rendered at 2293x960 and upscaled to native, 81 FPS:

Tough to judge by these resized images but the visual quality is very close - TAA shows better shadows, for example. But certainly nothing that I would consider a deal breaker. There's currently an issue where the EFIS screens of the Garmins are a bit blurry....hopefully this gets sorted out by SU 10 release in August or the MSFS forums are going to be a bloodbath.

An extra special bonus to the increased framerate is that 80 FPS is right in the sweet spot to make my FreeSync monitor play nice with my GSync GPU. So no stuttering or tearing. Looking around the cabin with the Tobii is a completely smooth experience.

When DLSS was introduced, I was expecting a few gains but nothing like this, it honestly feel like I'm getting away with something I shouldn't.

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 14, 2022