Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Also, ya'll should grab this glider:

https://flightsim.to/file/25518/discus-2c-glider

And the free version of Kinetic Assistant:

https://msfs.touching.cloud/mods/kinetic-assistant/

It's crazy fun.

Soaring is something I've never done IRL so I'm having a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Bit of MSFS news today:

- The Dr Killer is the new Famous Flyer. It's another Carenado plane, so I'll probably wait for some reviews but at the same time ~$20 CDN for a steam gauge Bonanza with a 530 seems like a deal.

- Sim Update 10 is delayed 2 weeks. I've been on the beta since the start and overall it's been pretty good but needs a bit more time in the oven imo. The delay is good news.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

If only we had a working 530, *checks* 24 months after release day and counting.

:( :hf: :(

However, all hope is not lost: one of the Working Title guys announced on their Discord that a 430/530 is coming by the end of the year. Those will become the default like the G100NXi has.

In the meantime, I've been using this in the Turbo Arrow and it's definitely an improvement over stock:

https://github.com/pimarc/pms50-gns530

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

CancerStick posted:

Toolbar Pushback

I don't use this myself but I've read that it's been causing trouble for a lot of people.

quote:

Working Title addons

Keep in mind that the WT G1000NXi is now on the Marketplace (and will be the default in SU10), so definitely remove that from the community folder if you're still holding on to the old version from the WT website.

EDIT: Woops, already got this figured out. I'll just be a second voice to recommend using an addons manager. I like this one:

https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

Rot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 30, 2022

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

IMO the 5800x3d is the no-brainer upgrade for MSFS, especially if you're trying to hold on to an AM4 system while waiting for AM5 to mature a bit.

I recently made the upgrade from a 5600x and noticed a very significant improvement. The 3060ti is the bottleneck but between DLSS and the 5800x3d, I'm able to push TLOD to between 250 and 400 (depending on where and what I'm driving).

Locking the framerate to 60 gives plenty of headroom to deal with performance spikes and everything is, as the folks on the official forums put it, "smooth butter"

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Acting on wild impulse I just bought some MFG Crosswinds with the Cessna footrests. They should arrive next week maybe? The shipping estimate said 2 - 4 days which seems ambitious. It's also Cdn Thanksgiving this weekend but I don't know if that matters to DHL.

Anyone have any experience with the damper kit? I didn't bother adding it to my order but I was wondering how well it works for regular old GA flying. On a scale from SL to FL180 how do you rate the immersion?

If anyone has anything else to say about these pedals, I'm all ears - I love to plunk down $100s on hardware and then read reviews/thoughts afterwards.

When I get the Crosswinds I'll be selling my VKB Rudder mkIVs - I'll post here before putting them on eBay. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Alright folks, as I mentioned above, I'm putting my VKB Rudder MkIVs up for sale.

They're in great condition, especially considering that they lived on the floor under my desk for about a year.

Comes with the VKB Black Box and the required cables.

This offer is for Canadians only, as shipping internationally is a hassle.

$250 CDN and I can offer free shipping as long as you don't live somewhere crazy remote (in which case we can split the shipping).

I'll keep this ad up for a few days and if there's no takers they'll go on eBay.

Gone to eBay

Rot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 29, 2022

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Have they improved instrument clarity with DLSS in the new beta? Or is that just gonna be how it is going forward?

Looks the same, unfortunately.

I believe Asobo is working on a solution but there's no timeline or further information.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

Do these have brakes?

Unfortunately, no. I got around this by using a slider on a different bit of hardware and just lived without differential braking.

VKB has some software that offers virtual brakes but I don't know how well that works.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I've seen people (including in this thread) use a MIDI-controller to good effect as well, since it has lots of rotaries and buttons.

Hi, it's me, one of the midi guys you speak of. I made a big post about how I've set up my Behringer X-Touch Mini using an app called Axis And Ohs. Since then I've refined things quite a bit but the basics are still entirely applicable.

IMO a cheap midi controller is the way to go over this kickstarter project.

Pros:
- far more versatile (more buttons, more knobs)
- ability to have per-plane controller profiles and automatically switch profiles
- cheaper
- actually exists

Cons:
- a not insignificant learning curve, especially if you don't have any programming experience
- requires another app that needs to be running while you're simming
- not as professional looking (nicely printed overlays help a lot)

This is the most recent pic of my setup:

The X-Touch Mini is on top of the Alpha. In the 152, just the knobs work, but in the 172 it will control the GNS 530/430. In something with a G1000 it will operate the PFD and MFD. I make the overlays in Photoshop and then get them printed on thick cardstock at a local printing place.

Lord Stimperor posted:

The neat thing about this one is indeed the double rotary with push button function; the switch alone costs tens of dollars on AliExpress. And making it plug and play with sims is more than programming a push button matrix.

I have something to say about this too!

A while back I built this:

Two dual encoders with push button from PropWash, and a spare Arduino Micro I had kicking around. You can see it in the first picture between the Alpha and the Bravo. These I've programmed to handle VOR and/or ADF tuning.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

I also have an X-Touch Mini and I can confirm that, if you have the VKB GNX modules, it fits perfectly on the bracket between the THQ/SEM and the FSM-GA.

Pretty great in MSFS with Axis and Ohs and I wish they supported DCS too. Spent way too much time getting one of the many MIDI-to-vJoy tools to work and be properly configured compared to the plug and play of A&O.

There's also a cool utility called NK2Tray that lets it control the Windows audio mixer panel which is pretty handy outside of flight sims.

F18 throttle on the right??? IMMERSION RUINED!! :mad:

How do you like the omni throttle? I was thinking of getting a pair of Gladiator sticks, making some sort of mount system for my chair, and do me some hellacopterin'. I figured maybe the Omni would make a good collective but now that I think a bit harder it probably makes more sense to just go with two regulars.

How does the twist work? On the green axis or the red?

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

That Works posted:

I was curious about using the X-Touch Mini and went through your posts itt etc, nice work. I had a couple questions.

I am primarily playing DCS and have a full Virpil HOTAS setup but its got a lack of rotary dials. I was considering just building a rotary dial button box at some point to learn / tinker with. However the X-touch controls seem pretty drat close to what I would have built.

It seems someone has made some attempt to integrate this with DCS already https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3320133/

Any idea how good of a solution that might be? I know you are in MSFS but I am starting from square 1 and had never even heard of this type of controller until I read your latest post.

Also you mentioned programming being a substantial learning curve, what type of programming? I have very limited experience but willing to use it as an exercise to learn if need be.

Sorry this is kind of tangential to your project but hopefully you or others might have some insight.

Scruff might be able to speak more about DCS and a midi controller. If you just want rotary dials, like my nav radio encoders, those just run off a regular Arduino joystick library so there shouldn't be an issue mapping those to functions in DCS.

As for programming in apps like Axis and Ohs, it's not difficult per se, especially if you have a bit of familiarity with concepts like variables and if/else. The first hurdle is you'll have to do a lot of digging through config files and using the MSFS dev mode to sniff out what variables and events do what.

For example maybe L:LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER_3 is the variable for the dial that controls instrument lighting.

Some developers are great at outlining what variables they use, others not so much. Fortunately it's getting easier to find help.

The 2nd hurdle is that flight sims in general seem heavily dependent on scripting in Reverse Polish Notation.

So instead of
2 + 3

It's written as
2 3 +

Seems simple but can get weird quick.
code:
(L:CIRCUIT_BREAKER4, Bool) 1 == if{ (>K:INSTRUMENT_LIGHTS, Percent Over 100) 0.5}
That will check that breaker #4 is pushed in and if so, will turn lights to 50%.

RPN is very fussy about formatting (white space is super important) and variable type. Troubleshooting can be maddening until you break your brain enough that it makes sense.

Rot fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 9, 2022

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

Twist is on the red, I don't really use the twist for anything but it works fine, better actually than on the stick on the left, though I think that's because the left stick was one of the first batch of NXTs and the right stick is one of the newer EVO versions. As far as right-hand non-GA throttles go, the Omni is the best way to go IMO. Setting it up as a throttle is as easy as detaching one spring on the inside and you can lock down the X-axis if you want to (I haven't bothered). The amount of buttons and hats it gives you is as good or better than most throttles, especially right-hand ones, and while I was worried it wouldn't be canted enough to really feel like a throttle it's actually really comfortable and natural to fly with.

Oh that's good to know, thanks!

Maybe in the new year I'll find the time and cash to put together a simple helicopter set up. My idea is to make a quick release for the Alpha yoke, to get it out of the way, then I can still use the switches and midi controllers and such.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Shipon posted:

I wish you could have MSFS display your FPS counter without the game thinking you're cheating so it doesn't log your flights, since apparently enabling dev mode disables flight logging.

You can add "-showFrameRate" to the command line and this will bring up the in-game framerate display without using dev mode.

If you're on Steam this can be added to the MSFS app preferences

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

GA stuff:

I don't give a drat about opening doors, CB's popping, or random failures - I want something that feels nice, trims out easily (as best a PC sim can do, at least), sounds good, and asks that you treat it somewhat realistically.

Not necessarily study level :smug: but requires you to have at least glanced at the performance charts and know what the red knobbed lever does.

At approx 1 zillion hours into the A2A Comanche since it came out, I think it's by far the best GA plane in the sim right now.

Also spend a lot of time in the SWS Floatiak when I'm feelin' fancy and the Got Friends Wilga is my go-to for loving around. I believe the Wilga is on sale right now. I have a pretty nice Honeycomb yoke/throttle (+ custom stuff) setup but I kinda want to get a VKB stick just for the Wilga, it's that fun to goof around in.

EDIT: The SWS PC12 is due to be released any day now, which should be a great option for business class turboprop enthusiasts.

And let's not sleep on the WBSim/JPLogistics C152 mod. It's a free mod that's based on the work they did on their (paid) C172 mod[1]. I fly this all the time when doing short VOR to VOR trips, patterns, or just spend a chill hour putting around the neighbourhood.

You can find it in the downloads section of their discord:

https://discord.gg/kR2ZfgXpCu

[1] The WBSim 172 is also excellent but perhaps a bit pricey since you need the steam gauge Skyhawk from the Deluxe version of MSFS.

EDIT: Forgot!! The Black Square mods for the Bonanza and Baron are super good too.

Rot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 21, 2023

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

so I just installed this AI frame generation mod and it doubled my framerate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftF...E0eBEwdZENYuscj

all the UI elements are currently glitchy (like the ATC menu window, not the cockpit displays) but everything else looks perfectly fine and good lord, went from 35 fps over san francisco to 70.

1. download latest release https://github.com/Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3/releases
2. run the .reg file that's included
3. copy both DLLs into your MSFS main folder (not content folder), which for me is D:\steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator
4. start msfs and in graphic settings, enable nvidia DLSS frame generation and disable v-sync
5. (optional) switch back from DLSSAA to TAA for sharper gauges and displays, if you've been using DLSS
6. use nvidia control panel outside the game to re-enable v-sync if you're getting frame tearing
7. enjoy

highly recommended.

I came here to confirm that this is pure loving magic.

3080ti/5800X3D, DSR 1.78x (3440x1400 native, so 4587x1920 dsr), Ultra settings, TAA @ 100%, I get 50+ fps circling around CYVR and buzzing UBC. If I change to High but increase LOD to 200, I get 70+. Which is perfect for smooth head tracking.

I used to use DLAA Quality/Balanced and LOD 80 to get even close to those sorts of numbers and just dealt with the slight blurring of the instruments (dsr res mitigates this somewhat).

This is really amazing, I'm seriously impressed and has got me thinking that maybe I can put off that 4080 for a while.

LATE EDIT: This is essentially a preview of what AMD FSR3 can do. I've heard it might be coming in SU15 but haven't seen a confirmation.

There is also this, which I haven't tried yet:

https://github.com/Fragtality/DynamicLOD

Also:

The FSR500 and SWS PC-12 are both excellent aircraft and I highly recommend them, despite maybe some mission overlap. IMO the PC-12 needs a bit more time in the oven and the FSR500 feels a bit more "personal" (smaller and feels less like a machine that's expected to work for a living), so right now the 500 is getting all the duty time. But I can definitely see some serious PC-12 time in my future.

Rot fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 20, 2023

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Sorry for the repost but I didn't want anyone interested in the FSR500 to miss my birdstrike

Apparently there's a tiny chance it could happen if the METAR is warning of birds in the area. From what I understand it'll affect cabin pressurization but I didn't get high enough, and at the time I didn't notice any engine or prop issues so I'm not sure if there's other effects.

I've hit a few birds in RL and I think this startled me more.

A bit of a trip report re that process to trick MSFS into using FSR for 30-series cards.

https://github.com/Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3

It's not without it's issues. Menus like the ATC window can get glitchy but by no means is it unusable. There's also some light flickering at times, especially reflections on glass.

Like Nvidia Frame Generation it requires you to have a decentish framerate to begin with but if you're over 40 fps without the mod, installing this will give you approx 80. I'm running my 3080ti flat out at 3440x1440 Ultra and getting 98+ fps (I have nvcp cap at 2 frames less than my monitor's refresh of 100Hz, to keep g-sync/free-sync happy).

On the whole pretty nifty.

This, however, is really something that should have been in MSFS from the start:

https://github.com/Fragtality/DynamicLOD

Can confirm that this works great and is pretty risk free to try it out yourself. Still experimenting but I currently have it set to TLOD of 80 on the ground, 100 above 1000ft, 150 above 3000ft, and 300 over 8000ft. OLOD is set to always 200 because my 5800X3D dgaf

Combined with the FSR dll hack above I've never seen MSFS perform so well.

Rot fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 22, 2023

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

PT6A posted:

No poo poo. Last birdstrike I had, judging by the evidence, had the luckiest moment of his life right before the least lucky: seems he made it through the spinning prop and met his demise upon the landing light. It's rarely something as spicy as shattering the windshield.

Big helicopter AME here, we spent 90% of our time in the bird zone. Birds tend to bounce off the windshield and go up into the main rotor, usually right near the hub where everything is at it's strongest but it still makes a huge mess. Sikorsky stuff will eat seagulls all day but we really had to watch out for larger birds like eagles, herons, and geese. We fly slow enough that you can sometimes see them coming (and avoid the big ones) so it's not as much of a surprise. It's more like, "aw poo poo" and I make a mental note of things to do when we land.

Once we ran over a bat that got caught in a windshield wiper, poor guy :(

Our Learjet ate a duck on short final once, I wasn't onboard but I bet that was an exiting time for everyone.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Main issue with stuff like that in default MSFS is apparently convincing the IRL manufactures to have their planes in a game where you can crash those planes.

I think that's why FSReborn called their M500 the "FSR500" - no Piper branding.

The story, how I understand it: 1) the licensing would have increased the price and 2) they weren't into having malfunctions and failures.

But there's other Piper branded products out there with failures, so I dunno.

Maybe because the M500 is a current aircraft intended for a completely different audience than say, the private pilot buying an old beat up Comanche :shrug:

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I have MFG pedals without the damper and never once wish I paid the extra....

Tippis posted:

Reposted from discord with permission:

No! But…
Someone on the airgoons discord uses an AliExpress damper:

If that's too much of a faff, I think the general conclusion is “not as such, but yes, it's a great thing to have”.

...yeah maybe I'll do this.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Maybe Honeycomb isn't quite dead yet?

https://flyhoneycomb.com/blogs/news/management-change-update

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

New Dune DLC.

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, just a quick spawn for a photo op.

I guess it would be neat if there was an Arrakis to cruise around in, look for spice miners, etc. Not too interested in any gaming elements though.

E: looking forward to the Ornithopters being amongst the regular AI traffic though.

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 13, 2024

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Had my fun with the ornithopter but tbh its not my cup of sim-tea. Fooled around a bit then uninstalled it. Felt weird flying with a yoke anyways.

Personally, the biggest value I get out of stuff like the Halo and Dune DLC is the temper tantrums on the official forums, haha.

Also, I joined the SU 15 Beta and for me it's working great. Upthread I mentioned earlier about using a hack to get Frame Generation working on my 3080ti. For the beta I removed that hack and have been enjoying pretty smooth and solid performance. Haven't had a chance to test the other fixes and features yet but for now the performance gains alone are worth it. I just hope the gains don't disappear come release, like SU 14.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

As long as the A2A Comanche still works they can put whatever the gently caress they want on the start up screen.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I feel like i'm the odd one out in that I don't engage with this content at all.

Same and I doubt we're alone in that.

One of the first things I do after a big update is go to the content manager and remove all the lessons, missions, landing challenges, airplanes I have no interest in, etc.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Thoatse posted:

Here's a screenshot from the burger heist mission

:cry: X-Plane is laughing at us!! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Looks like Brew Barons is out

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-brew-barons-is-a-sumptuous-ghibli-inspired-flight-sim-thats-also-a-brewing-sim-for-some-reason

Not exactly my thing but seems like it might be fun and graphically speaking it looks great