Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My Z-axis twist on my extremely old Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO is very wiggly. Any ideas on how to fix it? I want to play Star Wars Squadrons like a pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Enos Shenk posted:

If it's hardware, you can totally refurbish the potentiometer inside there. It's not very difficult to do.

Take the stick apart, and look for the doodad inside that the twist rotation operates. 90% of the time it will look like this:

See how the metal casing is held on with those bent-over little tabs? Get a flathead screwdriver and bend them back up so you can open it up. Inside you'll find some arrangement of a copper wiper that rotates around and traces along basically a circular circuit board trace. Use some iso alcohol (If you can find any thanks to Covid) and clean off the circular trace and the end of the wiper.

I brought an old stick back from the jittery dead like this once. As long as you're comfortable taking something apart and not breaking it in the process, go for it.

I'll give it a go! Thanks for the detailed answer

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cat Wings posted:

I'm planning on getting MSFS soon, but I don't have a HOTAS. Is it playable with mouse and keyboard, or maybe a controller, or am I hosed?

Get 3 months for $1 right now. Crazy deal.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1334150659621355520