Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Someone on my local Craigslist was selling a new Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for $125. I flagged it a sent them a very nice email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, so the mach bug on the 78X, does it break drag simulation? I've been going 320kn at 10500ft, then did a controlled dive to 1500ft because I wanted to see who was at a local airport, and then the plane coasted around 240-250kn at +/- 0FPM VS and it barely shed speed. I was controlling thrust manually, and engines were at idle.

--edit:
Right now I'm descending at 1400FPM, with 260kn, but according to the artificial horizon, I'm not even at -0.5° and the plane doesn't shed speed either with engines at idle.

If you said that gravity was set to moon gravity and that all aircraft now had hello kitty interiors I would absolutely believe it because anything is possible with this horrible, horrible development team.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Soy Division posted:

LOL, they seem to have fixed autopilot by breaking FLC mode. It doesn't work on descent any longer

It never worked on descent.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

i mean would it count as lying when you install a password cracker into your paying customers' computers and then, when discovered, first claim it doesn't exist, then claim it "only activates when it detects a pirated version," despite third-party hackers determining that it cracks all your passwords and emails them to the developers immediately regardless of the situation?

if a sim developer had done something like that, i mean.

Pretty Mean Development, Guys

e: oh wait, it was FSLabs that did that. PMDG also nuked your FS install though if you had pirated versions. Not just like their product didn't work, it would delete essential game files and you'd have to completely reinstall it.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 7, 2020

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Otis Reddit posted:

What's the best way to play Flight Sim 2020? I want to have mod support when the mod community starts fixing areas that are kinda fuctup.

On a computer connected to the internet.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

IFR is useless in this game. They made me descend to FL100 while still 72nm out, into a cloud. It's also dawn in Ireland, I doubt the local authorities are cool with me waking everyone up.

wut? I think you mean ATC is useless and that is true. You'd have to be IFR to be flying in clouds anyway.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sapozhnik posted:

tbf the exact same fatal lawn-dart thing happened to somebody up in I think Buffalo? very recently

icing will gently caress you up

It was 2009 and icing was not the primary probable cause for that accident.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/AAR1001.aspx

American Eagle 4184 in 1994 was the last major fatal crash attributed to icing.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/AAR9601.aspx

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 23, 2020

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is there any way to clear or reset a Cessna citation's flight computer? It won't let me overwrite or clear destinations and waypoints like the airbus does. So you're stuck with the initil destination until you restart from main menu.

Are you using the working title mod? If so, just enter a new origin on the ground and it clears the flight plan out.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Fayez Butts posted:

You should look at updating your drivers or something cause I found the game very playable in vr with 120% scaling and med/high settings. I have a Rift S and a core i5 9600k fwiw.

:magemage:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

2Jets posted:

I have a question about flight planning. I normally just blast through any restricted/prohibited airspaces just to save time and keep things simple. If I start using Vatsim will I have to plan around all this orange restricted space?

No one on VATSIM, especially India is going to care.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
LOL if anyone can go back to 2D from VR even if performance is horrendous.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Bedurndurn posted:

Jesus. That poor bastard even had a parachute for his airplane and he still got himself killed. :eng99:

Yeah but not pulling the pin is what got him killed (potentially). For all the flying I did in the northeast in single-engine, non FIKI aircraft, being a weather nerd, meticulous about forecasting probably saved my butt at least once. I would fly and train in some pretty think IMC but ice and storms were just a no-go. ATC is there to help you. Declare an emergency and get down safely, even if it's on a road or in a field.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
This is getting off topic of flight simulation a bit but I think more and more people are getting killed because of over-automation and reliance on technology and the absolute visual puke that is being shoved onto displays these days. What is happening in this picture? They're about to hit the side of a mountain probably because they are fumbling around with the display to make it show more poo poo it doesn't need and not flying the drat airplane. I'm all for spacial and situational awareness but that is ridiculous. When you have that full scale of a deflection, you go missed. You'd never want to try to salvage an approach in IMC botched so badly.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Head Bee Guy posted:

I use a 75% keyboard without a numberpad, what are some control schemes yall'd recommend to substitute?

:dogbutton:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I was just more appalled that people were using keyboards for flight sims let alone a smaller one. Yikes.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

kalleth posted:

I absolutely adore this game. Every single flight is stunning. Even full 200 minimums foggy rainy approaches into Heathrow are amazing.

I'm RPing a Cessna CJ4 ferry flight from Kansas to Southampton (KICT Wichita - CYUL Montreal - CYQX Gander - BGSF Kandershfhdbshfjgndbhf, Greenland - EGPF Glasgae - EGHI Soton) and I'm having an absolute blast.

I've got the working title cj4, and all of the systems I'm using actually seem to work -- unlike the default aircraft (a32nx is sort of like this too) and the scenery is stunning. Navigraph charts on my tablet in front of me, flying RNAV approaches, ILSes, I've even done some needle nav with VORs although I can't claim to be amazing at it....

There's some quality of life stuff I hope they do, sure, but oh wow this sim has a good future ahead of it if they don't give up and massively downsize after the Xbox launch.

Anyone got any ideas about if the CRJ is gonna be a good quality tubeliner when Aerosoft releases it?

I had the Aerosoft CRJ7/9 for P3D. It was definitely a quality piece of software and I imagine their MSFS version will be just as good if not better.

It's a work in progress. Much of the development team has been busy with real life and other...projects. But they're still actively working on the CJ4. The goal is to make it study level eventually. Here's what next in the pipe.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Shipon posted:

It's a real shame the Citation Longitude is hidden in encrypted files so modders can't easily get in there (the Garmin mods do somewhat improve things to be fair). Would love that 3500 NM range.

We have all the manuals and specifications, and actual CJ4 pilots on the WT team, there's plenty of information on the hundreds of CJ4s built, aside from it not being encrypted. The other problem with the Longitude is that only 33 have been built so far and only a handful of people (probably less than 100) are actually qualified to fly it. The modding community has no access to any information which makes it infinitely more difficult to accurately model any of the functions. It'll probably be some time before it's able to be any good or anything beyond a a basic, entry level aircraft.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Are there any weather add-ons I should know about? I have to say, although there are aspects of the weather system I really like, it would be nice to have more fine-grained control over things like visibility.

REX has an experimental version of Weather Force but it is indeed a hack at best since Asobo has not, nor do they plan on, opening up the weather API. It works alright but since it uses simconnect, it can only control the weather globally, which is fine for terminal distances but, it doesn't depict clouds or fronts or any of the other "cool" stuff enroute like the default engine.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

PT6A posted:

I think this is pretty positive news, but watching it is going to reveal a lot about Asobo and what we can expect in the future. If this integration goes well and is productive, I think we can be very enthusiastic about future potential with other groups as well. If not, I don't think it represents a huge loss over what we have now, but definitely a huge loss over what might have been.

I'm actually part of this team (not the core developers) but I'll give a quick rundown of what's actually happening.

- Working Title is made up of about 15 members, all volunteers (until recently). Some are real-world pilots (like myself), some are software engineers, and others are just enthusiasts.

- The 5 core members, the founders, the software engineers, developers, coders, whatever you want to refer to them as, basically formed an LLC.

- Microsoft (not Asobo) has contracted them to develop content for the base sim based on the work they have done with the CJ4, Garmins and their own SDK. They will be working closely with Asobo and other partners but not for them. What Microsoft and Asobo are most interested in are much of the core systems of these mods such as the flight plan manager, VNAV, chart integration and so on. The goal is for Working Title to develop out these systems, along with a few others, and the SDK, to slowly bring into the base game of MSFS. Microsoft wants to provide base users with a better experience while also providing a more robust and complete platform for third-party developers to more easily integrate complex avionics systems into their products. Carenado is often used because while their visuals are fantastic, and flight models ok, their avionics are quite often poor, at least the more complex systems. They don't have a specialized person on their team versed in the technical aspects of core avionics development like Working Title has so, the end goal is to provide companies like them with easier access to a develop a more complete product.

- The CJ4 and all the other mods will continue to be developed and open source for now. That said, down the road, some of the development may have to go into a closed group because now we're dealing with base simulation, beta versions and all that stuff that requires NDAs. This however, will not prevent anyone from doing exactly like they have, forking a branch from the github or starting their own CJ4 enhancement development. As far as I understand it, they will never become "premium products" or be encrypted.

- The integration into the sim will probably be a slow process at first that will take some time while they get all set up and integrated into the development team. Not all of the features found in the current version of some of the mods will be able to be brought into the core simulation for a number of reasons. Anything that is brought into the base game will obviously at the mercy of Microsoft but they seemed pretty open to what they're doing so far.

- The rest of the team, everyone but the 5 actual employees, will stay on and keep doing what we do, contributing in small ways and testing. They are really serious about keeping things the way they are but also have expressed a desire to subcontract anyone who is interested in future work on projects and paying them for their contributions, which is cool.

In the end, this only serves to benefit the greater community and developers alike as their work has proven to be top notch. They're a really dedicated and highly talented group of individuals and they're very excited to be able to access the core of the simulation and get paid for doing what they really love.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 11, 2021

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Re: the Working Title CJ4: should VNAV mode be, uh, doing something provided the departure I enter has no specific restrictions? I've programmed a cruising altitude, but it's just like "no, you'll stay at 5800' and love it! Our next crossing restriction is B13000A12000 three waypoints from now, I don't see any problems here."

I mean, it's no big deal to just climb to cruising altitude without VNAV active, it just seems a bit unintuitive.

VNAV is a constant struggle as there are so many facets to it and it's not nearly as good with climbs as it is with descents. They should be doing a bit of an overhaul on it this week or next but it probably won't hit the public until next month though. That said, VNAV on the CJ4 isn't really used for climbs anyway unless you need to obey several restrictions. You can also VS or FLC and then use the altitude range "banana" to make sure it complies.

We have a discord https://discord.gg/cmxCRJX8jG and a guide that are also helpful: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qzxPMTSQRkvau8QOi7xUqNvjx9rbww_qHlso5AT5OnI/edit

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Cool, I took a look at the docs but it didn't seem to address it directly in terms of "what is normally done" vs. "what is possible." It makes sense to just go without VNAV for the climb in the absence of any restrictions (and it works a treat in the descent, no question), I was mainly curious whether I was misunderstanding how it should work and/or how it should be used. And it seems, maybe, it's a bit of both. Either way, what a great mod overall. My only mistake was not trusting the VNAV in the descent the first time, due to the uncertainties I had during the climb. Once I tried just the descent using VNAV... perfection. And LPV sensitivity on the approach... you love to see it! Does the G1000 mod have that as well?

Not yet. The G1000 and G3000 have pretty much been separate development teams but now with the partnership, I would expect more more collaboration as core features are ironed out and ported from one avionics system to another. The Working Title G1000 and G3000 are still very much must-haves though as they're light-years ahead of the stock equipment.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

soggybagel posted:

Still waiting on accurate bear movement though. And proper bird flocking tech. Those need to be priority one.

What's actually funny sad, is that one of the great "achievements" that the devs focused on, for the this last world update, was the completely unnecessary "wear sliders" and the ability to "shift" the CG. An inside source for one of the first-party partners, who specializes in flight mechanics, said they pleaded with Asobo to not include it because of how loving stupid and confusing it would be to the user base, but they insisted on it anyway even after repeated attempts to show real-world examples that parasite drag and CoG, as they modeled it, has pretty much no affect on the aircraft performance or flight dynamics.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 31, 2021

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Syria at War server is really good though, since they don't have AMRAAMs.

After the recent nerfs, the 9X is probably better anyway. How long before we see videos of a sidewinder getting kills 30nm out?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sapozhnik posted:

Especially when we're going to have a half-dozen new and exciting crashes to debug!

(well, apparently they're handing out beta invites to the more prominent community members and add-on developers now, so hopefully this release will be a bit smoother).

My main hope is that the Working Title guys will do something to fix the rather deficient first-party FMS, probably not in this release but at least eventually.

We've been testing all of our mods so they should be working with SU4 tomorrow. In terms of new features being added to the WT stuff, I can't really share anything other than what's been posted in the discord.

What do you mean by first-party FMS? The stock FMS? I doubt we'll actually go through each one by hand especially since so much work has already been done by the community. The goal for WT and Microsoft is for core functionality integration - ie making the flight plan manager that runs the FMS not suck. I can't put a time-frame on that though but definitely not this update.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Big Mackson posted:

would you say that this update did not break anything?

Weirdly, I cannot think of anything off the top of my head that has been majorly broken by thus update. They seemed to have un DCSed themselves (THIS TIME) and have greatly expanded their QA team. There were a few issues with a few early beta features (some pretty funny) but they pushed those to a later update.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Looks like Microsoft is gonna run a betatest of D3D12 very soon. Via Steam instead of the MS Store at that.

All of the betas are actually done through steam weirdly enough (I am a beta tester 🤫).

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Maybe they changed it but I’ve only recently been invited to the betas (since WU 4) because I’m partner through Working Title. We had several other people on the team who only had the ms store version and they required them to use Steam to test betas. We just get private keys that we plug into Steam and it unlocks the test versions.

I’m not one of the core developers of that team so I know nothing about source access or anything else. They just pm me a key and I use it. I don’t even have developer forum access, I just do everything through our discord.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
The CJ4 actually has a Goodrich GH-3100. It runs almost completely independent from the Collins in the event of a failure of all of those systems and their backups. The barometer knobs on the CJ4 between the PFDs and the SAI are not linked. The only synchronization with the Working Title mod is when you press the “STD” button on the DCP they both switch to that mode because a “press” was not modeled on the black rotary knob of the SAI so I programmed a little “hack” to make it work (I was one the one who basically completely overhauled the SAI on that mod btw). On the real CJ4, you have 3 barometer knobs to all sync up.

Don’t get me started on how bad the stock king air is.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 28, 2021

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

JayKay posted:

I mean it does look like AOPA uses off the shelf sims for their Air Safety Institute - Accident Case Study recreations.

My favorite videos. I wish they did more.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, you don't think it would be satisfying to see the nose of the plane crumple, the wings shear off and counting how many pieces are still attached after a particularly shoddy attempt at landing?

Um https://youtu.be/U3aV8G-j8nw

https://youtu.be/mLUOkY5wFwE

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 1, 2022

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
"Well, we never expected MSFS to last this long so we didn't code anything to be compatible with the year 2022." - Microsoft

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Speaking of trackIR, ever since I moved to VR, I have a non-pro model Track IR5 (with hat clip) sitting in my closet collecting dust. I'd be willing to sell it for like $20 dollaradoos plus the cost of shipping (which should be under $10 since it's tiny). I tried selling it during the pandemic but no one wanted it.

I reopened my old SA mart thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925955

Post in there if interested.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 25, 2022

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Inner Light posted:

I was going to grab it but realized it will not work on Xbox, right? It is a great deal, thanks i am kiss u now. :-/

I do not believe it will. PC only.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Shipon posted:

Yeah, bug fixes during world updates only made things more unpredictable for devs so they confined them to sim updates. Probably for the better to be honest, though yeah it's frustrating when bugs persist through new updates.

Can confirm from inside sources that this is how they are operating.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

MrYenko posted:

The only thing you need an A&P for is to sign the logbooks. Anyone can physically do the work, but the airman putting his/her name and number in the logbook is the one responsible for the work. It could be something as simple as “I know him well enough and I trust him.”

Alternately (and more likely to me) he’s just winging (heh) it and hoping the FSDO is too busy to come inspect him.

Yeah. When I had fractional ownership of an aircraft, I would help our A&P mechanic all the time, especially when larger pieced needed to be moved. I would do what he asked, he'd come take a look and then sign off on anything.

With all the hullabaloo on the youtube, I wouldn't be surprised if someone called the FSDO on him. It'll definitely be way more expensive once someone else has to strip everything down to inspect all his work and then put it back together, as people have pointed out, no on is going to just sign off on it.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 8, 2022

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

JerikTelorian posted:

I really hope we can turn those streamlines on in game, I could spend hours watching them.

Sebastian mentioned that it will be an available tool for developers so I'd imagine anyone will be able to.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

azflyboy posted:

Depends on how you define "default".

Out of the box, there's still some significant issues, but there's several free mods (from WorkingTitle and a couple of other groups) that fix the vast majority of them, and with those installed, they're generally pretty accurate.

As to the FMS's, I don't know as much about them, but they're also vastly improved with a couple of free mods.

That said, there is some variability in the avionics, since the NXi is the most accurate because of the attention put into fixing it, while the other Garmin units are still varying levels of wonky, but they're significantly better than they were at release.

That’s the whole reason workingtitle became a first party dev. They’re bringing all of the underlying, driving mechanisms from the NXi into the base sim as the default. If you check out our discord, you’ll see previews of the PL21 and even the 530 as well as the ongoing improvements of the g1000. All of that will eventually be stock with no mods required. So much is happening behind the scene. This will also make it easier for 3rd party devs to incorporate what would have been premium, payware level avionics into freeware aircraft or aircraft that are visually accurate, like with Carenado, but lack avionics specialists on their team. Good things are coming. MSFS is the future of sims.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Any airplane that has a G3000/5000 (ie King Air, TBM930, Citation Longitude) or G3X (X-Cub) has the broken default Asobo GPS systems. This is true even with the Working Title mods. They’re for IFR using VOR navigation, but don’t rely on it for GPS procedures. For situational awareness only.

Yeah, unfortunately. The G3000/5000/CJ4/GNS refresh will be amazing, and the G1000nxi should be the default pretty soon. We've been testing betas for all of them for a few months now, and the amount of detail and accuracy they're putting into them in stunning. I know it's taking a long time but you'll know why once it's released. It's kind of like a kid in a candy store when they send multiple updates in a week because you have to choose which aircraft to fly. We currently have a Latitude pilot on staff and another pilot who frequently uses the G3000/5000 system so they've been super helpful getting everything just right within the limitations of the sim. Check out the WorkingTitle discord for the latest public screenshots. Basically, the "premium" Longitude will be modeled as it should have been from the beginning with in-depth systems, navigation, etc. The only thing I don't think they're modeling at this point will be circuit breakers and even PMDG doesn't go that far.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

sellouts posted:

This is legit exciting to me. Hell yeah!

Do you have a link to the discord?

https://discord.gg/vTP5Chjg

Check out the #Progress channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sapozhnik posted:

The OOTB avionics for the two Citation jets are pretty broken. Working Title are rewriting the code for both although who knows if it will be ready in time for SU11 or not.

Not SU11, sorry but before the end of the year. It’ll be worth the wait. The work that’s been done has been amazing and the Longitude has become one of my new favorite aircraft. The CJ4 hasn’t changed as dramatically since the mod did such an amazing job of refining the systems, but there are some pretty significant improvements under the hood. Keep in mind that both of these aircraft are highly automated and there really isn’t as much systems management as compared to say, the 737. They’ve still put a lot of depth into the Longitude though and it will require quite a bit of studying. We’re trying to find ways to summarize the AFM without violating copyright laws like with the CJ4. Stay tuned!

The coding team has basically been working overtime since they’re trying to overhaul all the GA avionics at once. Every other day we’re getting builds for the PL21, the G3000/5000 or the GNS. It’s a lot to test!

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 9, 2022