Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But don't cancel gamepass or the key disintegrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcj8yJk87cs&t=17s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It says they put in Glen Canyon Dam and Navajo Bridge, so I will be checking those out as soon as this 11 gigs is done.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think my patch is hanging. I'm at 106/152 and it gets to 30-50% on this one file and then flashes "please wait" and starts it over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, it just straight up gets to 50% of this one file, cancels it and starts over repeatedly. Great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
After downloading 51GB of data, I finally have the 12 GB update and 4GB USA update. After all that, Glen Canyon dam is about 300 feet higher than it should be. And procedural bridges seem to still be in the world, there's just a handmade bridge placed on top of it. I guess I'm being nitpicky but I reserve the right to be considering I started trying to update 12 hours ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What is it doing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah it could be that you need to open the xbox app and get an update there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah they need to buy a real tree license and flatten all the tree mounds and replace with models.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have that problem with it with xbox apps. I think it expects you to use a controller.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Man, that front driver really hosed that whole thing up. The pilot would have been golden if they hadn't slammed on their brakes. I wonder if they actually knew what happened or were just like, "WTF is that noi-"

I'm guessing they saw the plane in their rear view and all their brain could think to do was slam on the brakes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you can turn on rudder assist. It's not realistic, but it makes landing and taking off less twitchy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As dumb as it is to have web browsers displaying info on a space ship, nothing mission critical happens on those screens or with those controls. And any really important controls are duplicated as physical buttons below the screens. They can interact with the ship on them, but it's basically an automatically controlled box that brings humans from Earth to the ISS. If the potential lunar landing craft SpaceX is making is controlled entirely with screens, I'd be concerned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The TBM 930 goes 330 knots, how fast do you want to go?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This is a Microsoft game, it isn't leaving gamepass.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm waiting for someone to add a rocket to the game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

slidebite posted:

That looks pretty sweet. I see Garmin actual makes a remote keypad as well - if one of these could be simmed as a pop-up it would probably be a big improvement right there.

Link is a PDF from Garmin

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GCU475_GCU476_InstallationManual.pdf

https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/13437

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

IIRC there's a shortage of components world-wide.

Yeah, something happened in 2020 that caused production of electronics components to suddenly stop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I joined a discord called Space Tech, and there's a channel called "notification settings" where you can click on different emotes to be notified when it thinks certain products are in stock, I used it to get a Ryzen 5800X today.

https://discord.gg/sczgfMS6nS

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Blue On Blue posted:

As much as I love vr and flight sims. I think it still needs a way to “see” your real hotas in the virtual world

That was my biggest problem with elite was the multitude of buttons to push and not being able to see where my hand was in relation to the physical hotas

I’m sure with enough time on it you’d have a very good muscle memory though

Eventually you should get used to it enough that you don't have to look at your joystick to hit a button. I have a Thrustmaster T16000 hotas and all the buttons are in an obvious places, or have a unique shape or feeling that it's clear what I'm hitting. That's how it is with sim racing in VR. I have a mental image of what my buttons look like and I just feel for them when racing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just be forewarned that this could have the opposite effect. There were people who had the Rift DK1 who tried to push through and just ended up getting sick. Then the Rift DK2 came out and they tried that. The DK2 had the same kind of foam for the face interface that the DK1 did and the smell of the DK2 immediately made some people sick without even putting it on because their brain had connected that smell with VR sickness. Don't do anything that makes your brain associate VR with being nauseous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CapnBry posted:

Folks with a T.16000 HOTAS, I've got rudder bound to the L/R paddle on the throttle, but even at 70% sensitivity I feel like if I just barely move it I get like FULL RUDDER. There's a teensy amount of movement I can use to get a little bit of rudder but then it feel like it just goes all out. Anyone want to share their Sensitivity curve numbers so I'm not zig-zagging down the runway all the time?

There are two ways to bind the rudder, one is a singular rudder axis, the other is two separate axes, one for left and one for right. If you bind a left and right rudder axis (separate) it's currently broken and just goes full rudder like it's a button. I'm pretty sure the paddle for the T16000 is a single axis, so try setting just the rudder axis, and that one is full analog.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Blue On Blue posted:

In a way I relate it to the same thing we've had with cars for the past 10... .15 years?

Whenever Satnav units started becoming really common place, and then integrated into most vehicles as an option

When I was in my early 20's I worked a courier job, and at that time GPS units were not widely used / too expensive for a courier to buy out of pocket. So we did everything by street map, and memory

I learned all my routes by finding the locations in a map book, and memorizing them.... I talked to some of the guys that do it still today and everything is just punched into their in-dash nav unit so they don't have to think AT ALL

And the problem then becomes a guy doing that from day 1, really has no idea what he is doing or where he is going, so if something happens or there is a sudden change of plans, he is literally without a plan.

We will see it get much worse in the next 5 years, as most car companies start to add more and more advanced Self Driving features to their cars.... BMW and Mercedes are the two I've used and they're still at a stage where you have to maintain contact with the wheel or show you're alert and attentive every 30 seconds or so.

But the video I just watched of the latest Mercedes level 3 self driving, once you set it it's like Telsa mode, kick back make a coffee, throw on netflix.

gently caress I should invest in insurance company stock....

You could say that for anything. People these days can't even butcher their own meat, sew their own clothes. Sure, there are a lot of people who like to do those things, but most people don't. The same way that most people don't enjoy driving, they just do it because they have to. What sucks is that there will likely be a day where I'm not allowed to drive a car manually anymore on public roads because it will be considered unsafe compared to all the automated cars zip zoopin around seamlessly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

uvar posted:

On the latest MSFS update they mention a photogrammetry version of London is on the way. Too bad for everyone who bought the effectively-obsolete OrbX scenery pack. Which is something I figured would happen all along, tbh.

(theres also an interview with one of the staff who wishes it had a hot air balloon :hmmyes:)

It would be dumb to buy any scenery pack unless you absolutely need something right now. They claim they will be supporting the game for years, so they will probably be adding more and more photogrammetry and custom models.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it is saying to throw your money at them, nothing really matters, they made a good throttle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah it's still a crapshoot as to whether the thing you're looking for is even in stock yet. When I ordered my 5800X, I clicked the link, and it wouldn't let me add to cart. Then a few seconds later I was finally able to put it in my cart and order it. You just have to be ready at all times and act fast and hope you're lucky enough to be there when you're able to buy it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bedurndurn posted:

First time back since October. So the weather still doesn't load in the US? There goes my dreams of dying horribly in tonight's snowstorm.

You might have to go select real time weather, but it is there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Pedals are nice, but I can't get mine to be quite as smooth as I would like around the detent in the middle. I feel like I would be smoother with the paddles on the throttle or with the joystick twist, but I like it to feel realistic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Aero737 posted:

I bought the standalone DCS A10 on steam back in 2013. Is this not compatible with DCS world? It looks like the steam page no longer exists.

Does this page say you own it? https://store.steampowered.com/app/245810/DCS_A10C_Warthog/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

This loving game needs to do something about those ridiculous loading times.

And god knows what it does to the whole system, because my desktop framerates go to poo poo when it sits at loading screens.

I think there might be a setting in the options to limit the framerate, and if there is, you should set it. Or there might be a setting in your graphics driver to limit an app. It's possible that while you're loading, it is maxing out your GPU to render the loading screen at 1000fps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess if all you do is write blogs, a 60% keyboard is nice, but I use the arrow keys, function keys, and the 6 keys above the arrows all the time. I'm looking to get a TKL keyboard with a separate numpad I can put somewhere else when I don't need it. Mostly because I don't use the numpad all that often and I would like for my keyboard to be further to the right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Wait until you see 40% keyboards

I had to see this, so do all of you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FunOne posted:

Does windows let you have two keyboards? Get some icon caps for that 40% board and start binding.

Yeah I've got two keyboards plugged in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think it's a case of them not wanting to make a great simulator, more that the people there likely know how to do the heat blur and the reflections, but they weren't experts on the intricacies of how the glass cockpit of a 747 works. So they made a game that looks great and they are still working on the simulation of everything in the plane part.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would love to be able to do helicopter missions while shouting "go home you stupid idiots" at the crowds of people. And then dropping the person I'm supposed to rescue in the ocean.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
And the air force STILL won't buy you new boots.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Reverb G2 has an issue where you can accidentally fry the headset cable by plugging/unplugging things in the wrong order. I'd wait until that is fixed before getting one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess there's an inline box that the power plugs into, and if you do things wrong, it kills that box.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's true, there are also different LOD levels. The closer to the ground you get, the higher detail it will stream in. Also there is a cache you can change the size of. If you revisit sav 8 area that's in the cache, it just loads it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You didn't take into account that they are rendering every whale, and fish, and crab, and whatnot.