Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

2d metroid ranking:
1) samus returns
2) super
3) zero mission
4) fusion
all of these are really good games and despite fusion being a dark horse of the series it was actually a really good game. i still remember that i never completed the game when i was a kid because the final boss was the SA-X and i was really scared of the SA-X.

You mentioned Fusion is already referring to Other M, but actually it's the other way around. Other M takes a fair amount of cues from Fusion, particularly Adam and the space station setting. It's part of the reason Other M was such a disappointment; a lot of metroid fans were hoping it'd follow up on Fusion ("Any questions, Lady?") and instead we got a bad game :smith:

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I don't mind Fusion's linearity. We've already seen, even two episodes in right now, that the situation on the station is developing as we progress through the game. The X infestation is spreading, there's an X'ified Samus clone running around wrecking poo poo, and new areas being opened up are explained as the X infiltrating them. We'll see this more and more later with BOX, the six-legged security robot and Nightmare, running around in the background of Arctic sector as the game world itself foreshadows things and changes as the story goes on. I'm sure there's more examples. If you could go to, for example, the reactor area and see the state of things there it would really disrupt the flow because, narratively, that hasn't happened yet. As much as Fusion eschews some of the expected features of the Metroid series, I think it's a much stronger game experience because of that.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 3, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Prime 1 and 2 have a hint system like this as well, though it's present at a system level and you can toggle it on and off whenever (never played 3 so I don't know if it's there too). Agreed that "linearity" might not be the right word the more I think about it, maybe guidance is a better term?

E: Since a few people have mentioned it, should I give Samus Returns another shot? I got maybe halfway through it before falling off of my 3DS in general, though with that game I was firmly at "it's alright" rather than "hell yeah this rules".

Samus Returns is easily the best metroid game we've had in years. Years!
it's the only metroid game we've had in years

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

this first dive into Sector 2 TRO is one of my favorite segments of the game. getting lost in the jungle for the first time was quite fun, and as you've noticed all the enemies around here hit like a truck.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the SA-X absolutely will dunk all over you. like, 2 or 3-hit kill, it tries to do the whole freeze-and-shatter trick with the ice beam and missiles. it's an unstoppable monster and your chance(?) encounters with it are some of the tensest moments in the whole metroid series. even when you fight it at the end of the game it uses a lot of tricks in samus' arsenal (screw attacking at you, i think it even drops power bombs) and you can't actually hurt it with missiles and normal beam attacks.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Omobono posted:

I should probably replay Samus Returns, did we skip Ridley in that one? To be fair, it was the second game, they probably hadn't settled on R as this recurring nemesis that won't stay dead, stop cloning him you fucker space pirates.

How many Ridley kills does Samus have by now? Including Prime games and (ugh) Other M.

ridley was the final boss in Returns and he was pretty tough

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

this is one of my favorite bosses in the series, easily my (2nd) favorite boss in the game Nightmare no. 1

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

watching him learn to shinespark was adorable

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I put so many hours into Zero Mission back in the day, figuring out just how hard I could sequence-break (the answer was "very")

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Zero Mission absolutely does have a "main path" though, what with all the Chozo statues sending you to specific places on the map to get a power-up. Whether or not it was intended that the player be able to deviate from that path is, imo, beside the point.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I really wish you spent more time with super missiles before getting the next missile upgrade. They're just so satisfying to shoot.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Do what you gotta do man, I'm not going to complain.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

just casually keeping some metroid bits around in case they come in handy, as one does

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 17, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i think fusion actually has 3 self-destruct sequences. okay, two and a half.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

show us your "No Cussing Club" membership card

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

It counts. Death by fast forward counts.

W.T. Fits posted:

The boss only took two attempts.

Your mom only took two attempts.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I was watching a tool-assisted speedrun on youtube the other day that was about an hour and a half.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

That was hurtful and uncalled for. :(

sorry

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

The SA-X lacks object permanence. How fortunate.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

space jump in fusion is really finicky in my experience. you need to press and hold for a good few seconds before space jumping again.

Shitenshi posted:

I can't remember if the space jump is more or less required for some of the upcoming bosses. What fun this will be to watch. :unsmigghh:

it makes Nightmare a lot easier, that much i know.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

:allears:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I can't believe you beat Nightmare's gravity phase by just...running up and jamming missiles into him. You're supposed to use the charged plasma beam (which at this point is more damage than ice missiles)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

There are no Beholders in this game

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the diffusion missile is really cool and i wish more metroid games had it

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I'm inclined to forgive Fusion's lack of conventional sequence breaking because it's in service of making it a better overall experience.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Now you have a Samus infestation, so you activate the self-destruct sequence...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

I mean I thought it was pretty obvious, the Chozo aren't as peaceful as they are portrayed to be, which makes a looooot of sense given their genetic engineering everything, the Power Suit Samus uses, repeated references to Chozo warriors, etc. Samus may have been taken in by the Chozo equivalent of a monastery?
I always thought that the Chozo, as the wise and peaceful bird people we know, were sort of the end-state of their society. In their ancient times they too made war on each other and conquered their way across the stars until eventually, they...stopped. Perhaps as a society they developed beyond the need for large-scale conflict, or perhaps they came to a sort of spiritual enlightenment. Perhaps, like us, their tools of war became so powerful that to use them would jeopardize the galaxy (for us, Earth) itself.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Zero Mission is good if you want some more metroid, but if not I totally understand. I wouldn't mind seeing Castlevania either; I'm a pretty big Metroid fan but I've never actually seen anything to do with the other metroidvania series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

Do you have one of these on your bed?

Not on my bed, no.