Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I honestly like Fusion a whole lot. It is more linear than a lot of the other Metroid games but boy howdy does it set an atmosphere.

I'd even say it's my favorite Metroid, though Echoes still holds a really solid place in my heart for its gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I agree with this. For the same reason I feel Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword has a much stronger narrative experience than Breath of the Wild ever could have. You simply need some linearity to be able to tell a good story and to give a true sense of progression.

No actual argument here. I just posit that walking through a narrative made by the game was never really the draw of Breath of the Wild in the first place.

In BotW, because the game is so open-ended, it's really not just Link's story any more. What you do in the game is also yours.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Simply Simon posted:

You can get very lost in this one, and I expect it to happen in the LP.

I did get lost in one of my visits to Sector 4.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Samus Returns is easily the best metroid game we've had in years. Years!
it's the only metroid game we've had in years

Ah, but is it the most innovative metroid game you've played in years?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C-Euro posted:

That part where you wall-jumped up to the hidden room with the missile upgrade is where you're "supposed" to discover those pillars that come out of the ground. The one floor tile sticking out of the ground has a pillar in it and I guess the game assumes that you were going to try and bomb it? I was screaming at my computer during that part of the video lol

I thought the floor next to the tile had the pillar, for that expansion?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Simply Simon posted:

It was my first Metroid, I didn't know bombs did that!

I don't think they always do in Super? Because Super had the X-Ray Visor.

But here there's no such thing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You thought Serris would be an easy battle, but it...

S e r r i s n ' t :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arguably, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was thereby designed to allow sequence breaking, such as in this run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svBpkZpZcY4

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The downside on Zero Mission is that it's possible to get lost. And in one particular case, it's possible to get lost very badly.

When I played it, there was the matter of, once you get your full suit back, generally blasting your way through the Space Pirate base. I got lost and couldn't figure out which way was out.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Another tip: You don't need to hold B (or anything else other than the D-pad) to run in this game. The Speed Booster just kicks in automatically.

EDIT:

Hot 'n' Spicy Take: Metroid Fusion was the original Among Us.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 15, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have to admit, there's one sequence that is my favorite part of the game, and we haven't gotten to it yet.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

No, it definitely doesn't. I don't remember if that mechanic ever came back, but it certainly wasn't in any of the GBA games.

I thought it might have been in Zero Mission?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shitenshi posted:

This was probably already answered somewhere before in the thread, or it's one of those things that was implied and I missed, but is this VLP done already and all the footage simply has yet to be aired? Since you mentioned real life getting in the way, I'm curious if the gameplay pointers in the comments are still helping you as you go along. Especially now that we're seeing up against what most people consider to be the hardest boss in the game.

It wasn't originally, but then the UK instituted a lockdown. Now it is all prerecorded, by necessity.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Is this Loss?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I still love how Phazon was built up in the Prime series.

Like, at first it's this radioactive goo. O-kay. Then you find out it can think.

Then you find out the Chozo's logs, where it turned out that they had all ascended to a higher plane of existence or whatever it is super-advanced beings do. And Phazon dragged them back.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

The only times Ridley is a real threat are when you are doing a low % run, playing Metroid 1 without clipping into walls or when being able to hurt him is tied to a really dumb and forced melee counter mechanic.

I mean, I liked that game's melee counter, though that Ridley would be cooler if he had more vulnerability windows.

W.T. Fits posted:

Like I said - Ridley's a chump, and even the X couldn't think of anything to do with him to actually make him a threat to you.

That's why this Ridley isn't the final boss.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So really, the question is how Samus stacks up against Galacta Knight.

(Pictured: Meta Knight hears Star Dream's commentary as Star Dream summons Galacta Knight.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shitenshi posted:

The true question is less, "Would the X eventually gain feelings if they fed on all the life forms in the galaxy?" and more, "What would happen if the X came into contact with Phazon?"

Dork Samus-X.

In honor of this one-liner, have two collections of clips of exploiting the SA-X's AI. (Contains spoilers for endgame.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Ap14qUORo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uxz1y3IyPI

Quackles fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 9, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

There were teleporters in Metroid 2: Return of Samus, though... though the loading screen shows Samus passing through some sort of energy dimension, so it could still work.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Congratulations! :golfclap:

Oh man, I could never beat the SA-X when I was a kid, so I made sure to get 100% of the items before fighting it. And just baaaaaaarely beat it.

Also, fun fact: You also get different pictures below 4 hours completion and below 2 hours, I believe.

Can I vote for Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on the GBA?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I also second Aria (if you played it already then do a randomizer I guess)

I think there's also different pics for 100% and maybe low%? Or maybe I'm thinking zero mission.

According to GameFAQs and the Metroid wiki, there are different pics for:

• Game clear (not 100%), > 4h

• Game clear, 2-4h

• Game clear, <2h

• 100%, >2h

• 100%, <=2h

I'm pretty sure I saw the latter outfit show up again in Smash 4.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cloud Potato posted:

Thank you both once again for an excellent LP. I could never get past Nightmare back when I played this, so cheers for showing off the rest of the game. Hope you both manage to stay safe during Lockdown 2. And here's hoping Merseyside Tea makes a return too! :xd:

As for a suggestion of what to LP next, assuming it's a Nat 20 solo project, I'd like to suggest Yoku's Island Express, a bright and colourful light-metroidvania where you control the titular character across an island with pinball-style controls. It's lots of fun, not too long and it's currently £4 on Switch until the 16th.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about Yoku's Island Express! I also have played it (100%ed it, in fact) and it's doooooooooope. Good music, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[record scratch] "So that's me. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation..."