Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Oh, we're ranking now?

Zero Mission has the best controls and the best victory lap
Fusion has the best bosses and is the easiest to set down and come back to without being lost
Samus Returns is the best looking and has the most engaging combat
and Super is still a competitor to currently released games 25+ years later.

Then you have the Primes, a textbook worthy example of how to translate a 2D game into 3D and retain the feel of the originals.
The Metroid series has never had a completely irredeemable game. Even as flawed as Other M is, if you ignore the story the game play is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Explopyro posted:

I honestly think my favourite 2D Metroid is AM2R (yes, the fangame one), but Fusion is a solid experience.

AM2R had a couple spots I didn't care for, but it was really good. Had that game had different, non copyright infringing art work and advertised itself as a "Spiritual Remake" of Metroid 2, it could have easily sold thousands of copies. I wouldn't have been disappointed had I paid money for it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Explopyro posted:

Your reactions had me grinning through the entire Serris fight, it's wonderful.

It's worth noting that in general Samus takes a lot more damage in this game than others (perhaps due to the thinner suit), and you can't really face-tank the way you might expect. Super Metroid can give you some bad habits for this one.

The suit upgrades are really solid levels of damage reduction. Combined with almost every enemy dropping health, you don't really notice how much you're taking until you face off with a boss that's actually a threat (Core Xs don't count there)

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

GOOD GOD PRESS THE OTHER TRIGGER

Also would like to see that pirate sector.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Quackles posted:

Another tip: You don't need to hold B (or anything else other than the D-pad) to run in this game. The Speed Booster just kicks in automatically.

EDIT:

Hot 'n' Spicy Take: Metroid Fusion was the original Among Us.

Does that make Samus the Imposter? She's doing an awful lot of killing and loves vents for getting around...

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

C-Euro posted:

It was bugging me so I dug out my SP to confirm, and yeah it's a pillar (which can also be triggered by a couple of mid/late-game upgrades!).

Also my SP still works guys :buddy: drat this thing is tiny though...

E: when Nintendo finally shuts down the 3DS eShop I hope they put Fusion and the other Ambassador games up for sale in those final days. I know there's a 0% chance that they will but I hope it happens.

I'm not the only one who found their old SP!! First gen with original battery. The front light on this thing is so much worse than I remember it being.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Oh Yakuza, you have the BEST RNG.

There's still one more boss I can't wait to see.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Oh this video is fantasstic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

I've been waiting for Nightmare since Nat's inability to aim at a 45% angle was discovered.