Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vodkard
Sep 30, 2020

Hail and well met fellow gamers,

So I'm an old man with kids and almost grandkids. I remember playing RPGs since they first came out on both PC and console. I learned of this RPG Maker program and made a rough game on the PC with it about a year ago. Then I found the program on the Japanese Nintendo Switch about 6-7 months ago, and remade it for that system. It is currently in the top 3 downloads and the #1 rated English game on the Japanese RPG Maker Player. So when RPG Maker came out in the western hemisphere a few weeks ago, I thought "Can I suffer to re-remake it for a third time?" And the answer was yes. So I have a ~5 hour complete RPG on RPG Maker MV for the Switch. I didn't know hardly anything about the term "Let's Play", but this morning I thought it would be fun to record myself playing my game in 30 minute videos and put them on YouTube for my kids, nephews, and nieces. Well... my younger brother-in-law just explained to me about an hour ago about this whole "Let's Play" concept that has become quite popular on YouTube according to him. He directed me to this website and told me I should say something in here. So after reading the rules and looking over things, here I am.

So I guess I'm posting to ensure that everything is coolio for me to Let's Play my own game. If not, please let me know. I was considering playing other people's made games as well. I searched YouTube and found no Let's Play for RPG Maker MV for the Switch so I don't think I'm stepping on anyone's toes. (Like who the heck want's to Let's Play my own silly game that I made out of love, sweat, and tears?) But I digress... Here is a link to the first episode I posted this morning before my brother-in-law explained everything to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUqX-1lf7OA

Is this all good with everyone?

EDIT: More info - I originally made this game for my kids, nephews, and nieces because they are all loved. I wanted to make a game for them to remember me by and to get them started into the genre of RPGs. After making it on the PC, I realized if I made it on the Switch instead, more of my descendants (kids, etc... ) would be able to play as they all have a Switch. But the game was only out in Japan. So I bought all my kids, etc. a physical copy of the Japanese version just so they could play my game. Then the game recently came to the US, so I figured this way even more family members could play of whom I did not buy the Japanese game for. Yes I love them very much that I made the game three times. In fact, I embedded my own kids into the game. When you choose to play as a boy or girl, their default names are my kids names. The protagonist's mother was my Grandmother, an amazing woman, teacher, and grandma. I put a lot of heart and soul into this game for my future generation as I don't know how much longer I'll still be kicking (don't ask).

The game itself is a story of two siblings who wake up to find themselves in a strange, fantasy world. While there, they discover they are destined to save the world, all while trying to figure out how to get home. It's a complete game with final boss and all. As suggested, I suppose I can show my coding and inner workings on the game during episodes as well. Hope that gives more detail.

Vodkard fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

Glad I talked you into this!

Maybe you can do some behind the scenes type stuff, showing off how making a game works, especially on the Switch side of things.

Also, you could update the opening post with a bit more information about the game since you had inspiration for making it and what you hoped to get out of doing so.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Might want to post this in the Sandcastle to get some advice on presentation and stuff

Vodkard
Sep 30, 2020

Thank you both for your feedback. I edited my OP and I posted this thread in the Sandcastle. Much appreciated!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You made an entire game just as a love letter to your family? That is adorable and I respect you very much.

achtungnight
Oct 4, 2014

Adequacy Achieved!

I think I will enjoy following this thread. Hope at some point the siblings meet a dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

I'd love to see more of this.