Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to following this! Do you know how far down the water table is?

When I was a kid, my dad decided it'd be a good idea to drill a well in our backyard in the California hills. He went down some hilarious distance through mostly bedrock, and ended up with a well that could provide supplemental gardening water during the winter and ran dry every summer...for about ten years, then the pump broke and he couldn't get replacement parts without rebuilding the entire thing, so he just left it to sit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That sounds really nice, to be honest. What's the climate like?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, as far as the house design itself is concerned the big things are making sure that the roof and siding are not easily flammable, because the #1 way fire spreads is by embers blowing in the wind and landing on something that can burn. So stuff like cedar shingles are out, but tar shingles with the pebbles embedded is OK and so is metal. Stucco siding of course is a solid pick, I think hardyboard also works well? Don't take my half-remembered musings as fact though.

On a similar note, isn't it mostly all that ground brush that burns? If you can keep the blackberries and grass and so on cleared out and under control, that ought to reduce your risk.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What is it that makes standing seam so expensive? It's just fairly thin-gauge sheet metal with a few bends in it, right? I get that it's easy to gently caress up the installation, but IIRC kastein implied that even if you ignore labor costs it's really expensive.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

That costs a lot more than the roofing paint does and I believe even requires a permit out here. I can paint and bolt whatever I want on my drat car any time though. It just happens to also be a house.

Can you bolt a carport to your RV? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

everdave posted:

I know about those bizarre laws where you are a criminal if you collect rainwater…they could come enforce that over our cold dead bodies here don’t know what people put up with that

Water rights are, like, one of the fundamental challenges of civilization. If you're downstream of someone else, do they have the right to consume all of the water that you would normally have access to? Usually, the answer is "no". But enforcement of that decision ends up manifesting as a bunch of really weird-looking laws that, at their root, are intended to ensure that people don't consume so much water that their neighbors run dry.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Mill the entire thing out of a single block of aluminum.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Last I heard, he's wrapping up the old house. Lots of fiddly trim and so on.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Dang, that's a solid day's work. Weirdest looking "drywall" I've ever seen though :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It looks like the piers have a hole in the middle, which can be combined with a pin of some kind (e.g. a short piece of rebar) to keep the blocks from sliding around. Otherwise, gravity should do the job. Everything else is presumably nailed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I guess plastic photodegrades, leading to it breaking down faster than a normal roof would? But it's not like that's a terribly big deal, it's easy to remove and replace when the time comes.

EDIT: vvv ahh, nice

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 6, 2023