Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
good morning chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Back in the before times whenever the release date for the Sonic movie (future Academy Award nominee) was announced, I made the perhaps ill-advised decision to play through all most of the Sonic games. The most recent entries I've worked through are those on the GBA and I'm suffering from posting withdrawal so here you go have some words!

Sonic Advance 1 is great! While the console games were doing their thing, this game and its successors are a homier continuation of the older 2D games, with vertically expansive stages allowing for multiple routes and the Chaos Emeralds lying hidden in optional special stages rather than featuring in the story. This time however, much like in the Game Gear games, each zone contains its own discrete special stage so you've got to do some serious hunting to find all seven and earn access to the true final boss (I only found two during my casual playthrough!). As was series tradition at that point, you can choose from multiple playable characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and the real star, Amy Rose. The first three broadly play like they did in previous games but have received some new moves to better differentiate them. Everyone gets basic attacks performed while standing still, Sonic can grind on rails and briefly dash in mid-air, and Knuckles can now float in water (not that there's too much of it in this game). Amy, playable for the first time in traditional 2D Sonic, can't actually spin at all and instead relies on her hammer both to attack and move around, taking inspiration from her Adventure moveset but without the speed of cold molasses. There's a learning curve to using her, but I ended up having more fun playing as her than the other three, giant-stepping and hammer-jumping through levels. While the lack of spin makes her more vulnerable to regular enemies, the extra range from her hammer means Amy can tear bosses up. Also, Advance 1 has a bumpin soundtrack even by series standards. Couple of my faves are Secret Base Act 2 and Ice Mountain Act 1.

Sonic Advance 2 is good! Level design-wise you can definitely see a move toward the speed-focused "just hold right" gameplay the portable Sonics (mostly developed by Dimps at this point) would become stigmatized for, epitomized by the introduction of a basic boost mode, but, well, I haven't gotten to too many of those games yet so here it feels fresh and cool. Each act even starts with your character getting jazzed up and sprinting out the gate from a track start block, which is a frankly rad idea. Many of the 3D games will have your character begin the level running in a kinda media res manner, but something about seeing Tails or Cream psyche themselves up first adds some fun flavor. Speaking of, Advance 2 adds a new, somewhat underused friend to the franchise, Cream the Rabbit and her chao Cheese. I didn't really have any opinions regarding her whatsoever before playing these GBA games but uh she owns?? She combines Tails' flight (which she does with her ears) with long range attacks via Cheese. Like you just stand there and say sic em and Cheese bops the nearest enemy on screen. This trivializes bosses lol, but that's fine because as forums friend sharrrk pointed out, the five characters track to five different soft difficulty modes: Cream is Very Easy, Tails is Easy (flight is busted), Sonic is Normal, Knuckles is Hard (climbing and gliding aside, he's got a noticeably lower jump and not as many exclusive routes as S3&K), and Amy is Very Hard. Amy's capabilities versus bosses have been dampened a bit because, just as the levels themselves are more speed-focused, almost every boss fight is now an autoscroller! This is something the series kinda sampled in earlier entries, particularly Mushroom Hill Act 2 and Death Egg Act 2, and is an idea I'd love to see more of. The constant running just feels very appropriate to Sonic, much moreso than standing around waiting for a ball to swing over your head. Unfortunately, a big downside to this game is the special stage. I can't actually comment on the stage itself because I never found any! Entering any special stages requires you to, in one go without losing any lives, find all seven Special Rings in a given act. Unlocking the true final boss requires just beating the game with all four starting characters and finding all seven emeralds with Sonic. Unlocking Amy, a secret character for some reason, requires going further beyond and finding all seven emeralds with all four characters. I'm unashamed to say I just downloaded a completed save file!

Sonic Advance 3 is, interesting. I wasn't feeling too hot on it at first because wow it kicks things off with maybe the worst first Sonic level I can remember playing! Route 99 sucks. Just an absolute boatload of blind jumps, speed traps, and rude gotchas coupled with a tediously slow stage gimmick. Once you get into the level, at least, as Advance 3 adds in hub areas for each zone with some light exploration puzzles needed before you can play any act or boss. And they're just kinda, there, padding things out between actual instances of gameplay. I suspect they were intended to facilitate practice grounds for your team of choice but there are less obtrusive means of doing so. But anyway once you get past those hurdles Advance 3 does have some cool stuff to speak of, especially the aforementioned teams! Somewhat similarly to Knuckles Chaotix, you select two playable characters at a time, a primary and a secondary, with the secondary giving some kind of ability or buff to the primary. Sonic boosts his partner's top speed, Amy gives her partner a hammer, Cream lets her partner command Cheese themself. The team mechanic is easily the coolest element of Advance 3, culminating in exactly the team-up you'd expect, and also something I'd love to see more of in the future. While later levels are still subject to some blind traps and forks (reminiscent of the GG games), they're a considerable improvement over the beginning of the game, with Ocean Base and Toy Kingdom being my highlights. Advance 3 also, notably, continues the story from Sonic Battle.

Sonic Battle is a weird game and honestly not one I'd recommend to folks who aren't diehard Sonic simps (and have therefore already played it years before me), but I ended up having a great time with it anyway. It's an arena fighter that also, surprisingly, kinda functions as the Sonic franchise's take on the deckbuilder genre that was so hoppin in the early 2000s. The game is divided into episodes where you rotate which character is taking care of a weird robot Sonic finds on the beach. A fighting robot, that learns new moves from battlechips and gains more deck capacity from fighting well and is destined to become the ultimate fighting machine, but may learn a little something about friendship along the way. The big draw for me originally was the promise of tons of character dialogue, perhaps the most of any Sonic game besides Chronicles?? But the gameplay feels pretty good once you start to nail comboing your opponent so hard they get flung into a wall and bounce off into the air allowing you to spike them into the ground. The big downside is just how tedious the game can get: almost every fight is secretly a two-parter where your opponent gets back up after your first win and starts taking things seriously, so you fight them again but with twice the KOs needed for victory in round two (most fights are basically Smash Bros stock matches). In addition, simply winning a fight only earns you +1 skill points with Emerl, the robot. Winning without getting KO'd at all yourself gets you...+2. Winning without getting hurt at all gets you +5. The SP needed to equip any given move can range from 5 to 30 so, as Emerl has twenty-seven different slots for abilities, you may have a lot of grinding in your future. Any early game fight where you have to play as Emerl, before you have many cards or the SP to equip them, is brutal. All that aside though, the story is exactly the kind of goofy character interactions I wanted, up until the bonkers ending that fortunately gets a proper conclusion in Advance 3. Spoilers for a sixteen year old game: Emerl tethers itself to whoever it considers to be The Strongest, and will only listen to them. For most of the game this is Sonic, but at the very end, after Emerl has attained its final form, Eggman makes his move and demonstrates a new superweapon of his by destroying a star somewhere off in space, to prove he is The Strongest. Unfortunately he didn't realize that apparently Emerl can consider things to be The Strongest, not just people, so it tethers to the doomsday weapon instead and decides it must destroy the Earth. Sonic manages to stop it, but at the cost of his new friend/child-figure's life. Great!

That was a whole lot of words to get to the real point of this post, which is that I really like the aesthetic and spritework of the GBA Sonic Games. Because I've been stuck at home since March, I figured now was as good a time as any to learn how to extract and animate sprite-based stuff from games I like, so have some Sonic gifs in roughly the order made.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also i voted for nude wario

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Awesome Animals posted:

These sprites couldn't have been better timed. I have a use for all of them, thank you.

i can't believe a contributor for the sonic wiki posts here!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

i just started playing resident evil 2 for Spooky Games Month but have the tv muted because my gf's playing tabletop in the other room and y'know, this fits

Relax Or DIE posted:

i'd really like torchlight 3 to be good, I'm always down for a new good arpg, but unfortunately the series doesn't have a strong history

I'm about 25% or so through the castle in Order of Ecclesia and the difficulty curve is really interesting. It seems obviously a response to the previous few games in the series being pretty easy, but I'm not sure they nailed it. Like I said earlier, things tend to be really spongey but they also tend to also be really big and/or rush you down at diagonals. The hardest parts have been screens where several large flying enemies rush you right away and you can't burn through them fast enough to avoid damage easily. The bosses are fairly simply pattern-wise but punishing, and so far I think they've all been pretty fun. However, the castle is actually easier for the first chunk, which is weird but lines up with how the entrance to the castle is the easiest section in previous games. I think that's a neat choice.

I haven't played these since their release, I do plan to play A/DoS and PoR again in the nearish future too.

what's your favorite glyph and why is it the owl summon?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Get headphones

they're connected to my computer not the ps4!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

each of your silent hill 3 posts is slowly filling a meter labeled "my desire to give silent hill 3 another shot." perhaps after resident evil 2 and kirby's halloween adventure...

Relax Or DIE posted:

that one hasn't dropped yet for me, for now it's the multi-hit laser

in terms of practical destructive power, dual wielding lasers is about as good as it gets

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Booky posted:

just had sushi after quite a while today, it was Very Yummy!! 😊

what's everyone's favorite sushi types? i like shrimp tempura and salmon a lot, for instance!

the sushi place I'd frequent in the before times has something called a golden crunchy roll and i can't quite remember what actually goes in it but it's delicious and i usually get at least two plates of it

FirstAidKite posted:

Skies of Arcadia PC port

be still my heart...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Books are better than e-readers.

Good at swatting flies
Impress book-smart cuties
Donate them to charities or resell them once you’re done
They can act as trophies for your shelf
Cheat at choose-your-own-adventure modules
They have “heft”, “weight”, and “physicality”
Tall stacks of books look very good

in addition, you can convert your dining table into a standing desk because you don't have a real workspace in your apartment with nice stacks of books. i love physical books!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's from Poshmark, pretty sure his wife ordered a piece of clothing and the person she ordered it from sent it to the wrong side of the country

the city I live in has four quadrants so there's at least one other home here that has exactly my address but in another part of the city, so I figured I'd just try to figure out whose it is and tell them I have it instead of giving it back to the post office to lose but instead I have gone on a journey where I found his medium post where he apologized for unwanted sexual advances. cool mystery

grats on your free shirt

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
post your bookshelves/gameshelves in this thread

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i finished luigi's mansion 3 several days ago and very much enjoyed it but it's only now occurring to me that the final boss doesn't use the super suction mechanic introduced kinda late at all. like what the heck, such a missed opportunity!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Happy Halloween I guess?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Here are my rankings for open world barriers:

1. Really tall mountains
2, Water
3. Radioactive zones
4. Invisible walls
5. Invisible walls with a “You cannot go this way” message when you touch them

you ever think the invisible walls are caused by radiation?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Cop unions aren't unions because cops aren't workers.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
nobody said getting bingo would be easy...but here's one of my bookshelves

and what's that in the treasure chest?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

this is slander

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've been absolutely loving hades and ended up buying all of supergiant's other games because of it, very excited to finally try them after enjoying their soundtracks for years

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeXReX posted:

I love that they went with star fox and buck bumble for the references rather than, you know, Pokemon snap.

us snapheads had this puppy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yesterday i played through a very cute rom hack called Kirby's Halloween Adventure. i was expecting it to just be a simple reskin but it was a full game of entirely new levels, and good levels at that! all of the enemies have themed sprites and all of the ability cards were redrawn, some of which are quite silly

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Perhaps a stupid question, but... as someone who works in a unionised industry and is a member of my union. Why haven’t game devs unionised? What’s stopping them?

Every second story seems to be about how terrible the working conditions are, you think they’d want to.

a depressing number of people don't even really know what unions are, or have accepted their terrible working conditions as just the way it is. employees who attempt to organize often must do so in secrecy out of fear for being demoted or fired. other people just don't wanna rock the boat too much. you'll also see the people who are passionate about not being treated like poo poo, well, get better jobs

the store i used to work at is close to finally voting on their first union contract and i'm extremely proud of them, it's been a long and rough road. some of the people there who aren't management and are anti union are loving weird and i still cannot comprehend them

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i would say most of the game gear sonic games are at least okay, even blast, but 2 is absolute dogshit and easily the worst sonic game I've played. would not have finished it without extensive rewinding

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
arrange my games on a grid in a random order so i can try to play game completion bingo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

VideoGames posted:

The funniest thing about the Sony Wishlist, is once you bought something from the list, it stayed there until you removed it.

the switch store does this too, i suppose it's a decent excuse to keep on top of things

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

lol I just found out that when Sony redo the Playstation Store at the end of the month they're nuking your wishlist.

Sooooo new topic, post your Playstation store wishlist (So I can refer to this later when I need to add everything back)
- Star Wars Squadrons
- Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Control
- Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs Maxiboost On
- Streets of Rage 4
- Street Fighter V: Champion Edition
- Doctor Who: The Edge of Time
- Everybody's Golf VR
- Vacation Simulator
- Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- The Yakuza Remastered Collection
- Dreams
- Fist of the North Star: Paradise Lost
- Moss
- The Persistence
- No Heroes Allowed! VR
- King Hearts All-in-one Package
- Polybius
- Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
- Sprint Vector
- New Gundam Breaker
- Burnout Paradise Remastered
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- Batman: The Enemy Within
- Assassin's Creed Triple Pack: Black Flag, Unity, Syndicate
- Prey
- InnerSpace
- Steven Universe: Save the Light
- Windjammers
- Gravity Rush Remastered
- Gravity Rush 2
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
- Danganronpaa V3: Killing Harmony
- NieR: Automata Game of the YoRHa Edition
- Knack 2 babbyyyyy
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
- Gundam Versus

Probably could use some pruning :thunk:

I've got

-Divinity: Original Sin 2
-Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness and the Secret Hideout
-Resident Evil 3
-13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
-Eastshade
-Heaven's Vault
-AI: The Somnium Files
-The Last Remnant Remastered
-Judgment
-Grow Up
-Resonance of Fate
-Yakuza Kiwami 2
-Armored Core
-Shadow Tower
-Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
-The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
-Wild Arms 3
-Eternal Ring
-Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - MARS
-Resident Evil 5
-Soma
-I am Bread
-Flower

finishing prey is one of my goals this month

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
who cares about the chronological order, i wanna see some ranking and tier lists

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

getting close, expect to see some real bad posts out of me to fulfill the last few without waiting for natural opportunities

emptyquote one of your posts about ar tonelico, those were pretty good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
much like the chat threads they were in

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
my consoles, ranked:

wii u
switch
ps4
game boy advance sp
gamecube
super nintendo
playstation 2
game boy color
3ds
n64
ds lite
playstation
vita
game boy advance
game boy pocket
dreamcast
wii
genesis
game gear
nomad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm okay with people deliberately bingoposting because several of the spaces are effortposts and more of those are good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hey y'all it's friday and you know what that means

baking cookies on the clock

LawfulWaffle posted:

Holy poo poo. I just typed up a monster of a post ranking the contents of these drawers I haven't touched in years but it got ate because I cleared my cache when logging into Imgur and clicking Post sent me to the SA login page. I feel so stupid. Literally spent like 45 minutes on it.

Here are the loving drawers, ranked best to worst

Goddamn. poo poo!

e: aaargg!

eating a cookie and pouring one out for your lost post. that loving drawer has some good games in it at least

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

hersheys correctly anticipated the poop emoji shape for their kisses so future generations would know to stay away

Tho that cookie look pretty great

please do not insinuate that any of the fine posters here would use hersheys chips

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Square Enix are cowards for making a game where you capture final fantasy enemies pokemon-style but creating new original character that are not actual ff enemies instead of including a ton of the absolute bangers like "the dog house from FF7"

if the dog house from FF7 isn't in Remake I'm gonna lose it

you should play final fantasy 7 remake

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just watched alien for the first time and now have a strong desire to play metroid fusion

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

this year i've been trying to only play stuff i haven't before, aside from the sonic series (and I'm getting to the games i never played as a child now anyway), but i think I'm january I'll probably replay a bunch of old favorites. such as this

maybe i could finally finish goemon's great adventure...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So have I. Hmmm maybe I've been working from home wrong?

sorry buddy

games finished in 2020:

Donkey Kong Country (gba)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (gba)
Mega Man Battle Network 3 blue (gba)
Mega Man Battle Network 1 (gba)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (gamecube)
Mega Man Battle Network 2 (gba)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles (genesis) [replay]
Sonic Adventure DX (gamecube)
Pokemon Sword (switch)
Nier Automata (ps4) [replay]
Sonic the Hedgehog (game gear)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses [Crimson Flower] (switch)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (game gear)
Sonic Blast (game gear)
Sonic Chaos (game gear)
Sonic Triple Trouble (game gear)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (gba)
Animal Crossing (switch)
Yoshi's Crafted World (switch)
Pokemon Colosseum (gamecube)
Halo: Combat Evolved (pc)
Awful Emblem Act 1 Demo (gba rom hack)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (ps4)
Joe and Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics (snes)
Outer Wilds (ps4)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (wii u)
Fire Emblem: The Road to Ruin (gba rom hack)
Abzu (ps4)
Halo 2 (pc)
Gato Roboto (switch)
Wishing Sarah (pc)
Bomberman Jetters (gamecube)
Far From Noise (pc)
Ring Ring (pc)
Water's Fine (pc)
Nonsense at Nightfall (pc)
Halo: Reach (pc)
Trials of Mana (switch)
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (gamecube) [replay]
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (ps4)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (ps4)
Spyro the Dragon (ps4)
Sonic Heroes (gamecube)
Sonic Advance (gba) [replay]
Spyro the Dragon 2 (ps4)
Terraria [master mode] (pc)
Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (ps4)
Sonic Advance 2 (gba)
Super Mario Bros (snes)
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (switch)
Spyro the Dragon 3 (ps4)
Super Mario Bros 3 (snes)
Sonic Battle (gba)
Super Mario World (snes) [replay]
SMW - Peach's Adventure Demo (snes rom hack)
SMW - Captain Barry's Treasure (snes rom hack)
SMW - Kola Kingdom Quest (snes rom hack)
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
SMW - Luigi and the Island of Mystery (snes rom hack)
Sonic Advance 3 (gba)
SMW - A Halloween Walk (snes rom hack)
SMW - Halloween in the Mushroom Kingdom (snes rom hack)
SMW - Il Maniero Spettrale (snes rom hack)
SMW - Shrine of Eternal Ice (snes rom hack)
SMW - Mario Wakes Up (snes rom hack)
Doom [2016] (ps4)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (switch)
SMW - Other World Demo (snes rom hack)
Kirby's Halloween Adventure (nes rom hack)
SMW - Adventure Demo (snes rom hack)

currently playing:
Prey
Resident Evil 2
Hades
Super Mario 3D All-Stars
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fire Emblem: The Four Kings
Shadow the Hedgehog
Super Mario World Central's Halloween Level Design Contest 2019

granted a lot of these are on the shorter side!

Looper fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 18, 2020

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

I rarely play a game without watching another game.

playing resident evil 2 with no audio because you're watching a stream of quest 64 on another monitor is the real hard mode, i feel

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i can't get into streaming idk why. i'll watch a highlights vid on yt but i can't just hangout and listen to donations roll in

i don't watch the kinds of streams where that's a thing, but yeah i mostly watch youtube uploads of stuff because being able to rewind is key

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hey y'all it's monday so you know what time it is

time to wait for dough to rise on the clock

LawfulWaffle posted:

I passed my exam. Big sigh of relief. Now I’m standing in a huge line to cast my vote

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zushio posted:

Also Snowboard Kids 2.

finally someone's talking some sense here

the runner's up, for those curious, are kirby air ride and sonic racing transformed. mario kart 8 receives an honorable mention