Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
My friend offered to sell me his old PC without the hard drive for $90. Has a Gigabyte R9 270x GPU and an AMD FX-6300 CPU. Not cutting edge but for $90 and $400 at Microcenter or Newegg for Windows, a hdd, a monitor, mouse and keyboard and maybe some better memory I could finally play some of these Steam games that I’ve been hoarding. I could play L4D2! I could play pinball at 60 FPS! Maybe. At least it’ll be something I could add too over time rather than dropping a grand up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

tight aspirations posted:

Get a Win10 key for like $20 in sa-mart or $5 on ebay is the usual advice in the part picking thread.

That sentence just saved me 80 buckaroos. I should probably head over there and lay out my plan, see what else I’m overlooking. Thank you!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

skeletons aren't scary because you are stronger than a skeleton. You are a skeleton with a protective barrier of flesh wrapped around it.

To tag up on this, you are a brain piloting a bone mech wrapped in adaptive musculature armaments and encased in an elastic flesh membrane. And I think that’s beautiful.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

One of the scarier skeletons in games is the corpse in Kings Quest VI that has the two gold coins over his eyes. Because if you don’t find that corpse in a labyrinth, and if you don’t take those coins, you will straight up be locked out of the rest of the game. You only get one shot at the labyrinth and it can be hours before you realize you’ve made a mistake.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Make mine Bubba Ho-Tep
https://youtu.be/pa9331xmvhg

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

That skeleton has a job

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I tried Genshin Impact and it’s not for me. The biggest problem was how unresponsive things felt, such as standing over an item for a second before the prompt to pick it up appeared. Also: too many items/rewards, too many menus, and just an annoying cast of tropes.

I’m gonna try playing Darkwood as my October spooky game. Any advice?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Pop ‘n Music is about as esoteric of a bemani game I’ve really gotten into. There are/were some arcades in my area with a lot of Japanese imports but I just dabbled the few times I went. There was one where the controller was a 4x4 grid of boxes.

Vagrant Story is very good and that tweet thread has me jonesing for another playthrough. I should probably try to beat FFT once first? Guess I need to dust off the PlayStation handhelds.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Tag yourself. I’m “Room Mood: Tense”

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I understand that Chinese developers may not have a choice, but I feel like money spent in their systems reinforces the sort of propaganda-through-censorship represented by banning words based on a list provided by the state. I feel bad for them but it feels like supporting the developer in turn supports a certain amount of oppression. And there may not be any ethical consumption under capitalism but I can make informed decisions to mitigate the damage I do.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I honestly have more sympathy for Chinese companies because they actually have boots on their neck and if they don't comply they will almost definitely go to jail. Meanwhile America has like fifty thousand companies in Silicon Valley who look at poo poo like Social Credit and think "god if only we could get in on a piece of that pie" and end up doing this dystopian poo poo where your phones track your every location and listen to you constantly and sell your personal data to anyone who asks nicely just for the love of the game

Yeah. The only bit of good news I’ve heard recently on that front is that almost all of that ad data is useless in that it doesn’t actually lead to profits for the buyer commensurate to what they pay those SV companies. Here’s hoping the shoe drops sooner than later

Also see Zuckerburg literally offering to let the Chinese leader name his daughter in the hopes that he could get FaceBook into China. China is a big market->greed drives companies to want a slice->that slice means empowering and supporting repressive, authoritarian policies.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I tried playing Darkwood but then some dogs killed me and I just want that jazzed about trying again, so I started Yakuza 6 instead. This game rules! I’ve only played through Y0 before this so it’s kind of a wild time so for me, but I’m so into the soap opera it doesn’t matter. I’ve just made friends with the Hirose family and every time they talk I get giddy because I know at some point Kiryu’s shirt is going to come off and their little podunk minds are gonna be blown.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm running Blades in the Dark for my group, highly recommended.
I am also running a Blades in the Dark game for my friends. I wish I had more time to sit down and plan scenarios, but they’ve been having fun with what I can sort of improv. I need a post-it that says “be meaner” because I’ve really been going easy in them in terms of consequences.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I will play Hades one day. I don’t want to get it for Switch due to joycon drift and my laptop just isn’t up to snuff. I should just sync one of my 8bitdo controllers to the Switch and call it a day.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I usually go into BitD with a basic concept and a handful of bullet points and just let what happens happens.

I do the same but I usually make like four options for the crew to choose from. When I ran Pathfinder and D&D, I would make one elaborate area and then whatever the party would do kind of led them there (my friend, who also GMed some games, would do more murder mystery type things where you had to ask the right person the right thing to progress. I’m not a fan of that style). Blades is nice because I feel like everyone of the players gets to contribute in fun ways to things with little downtime.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Wheelchairs can symbolize helplessness, and empty wheelchairs can symbolize the rejection of assistance. Noticing them and finding them out of place can represent an underlying desire for help but the unwillingness to ask for it, even when it's provided by those around you.

They can also symbolize healing or hospital system (obvs) and drawing the protagonist back to places from their past. The protag may reject this imposition, this reminder of a time they'd rather repress.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

None of these wheelchairs have wheels... what does it mean?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Hwurmp posted:

Michael Myers

Great snipe, got a hearty chuckle

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Other good mortal kombat licensed character ideas:

Darkman

Dr. Giggles

Herbert West

Tall Man

Zed

Maniac Cop

...Okay maybe not that last one

This has half your picks
https://youtu.be/CT-UDSFoMYs

Also I’m just now remembering that Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers are, in fact, distinct entities. It seems obvious it retrospect.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Installing Windows on my new computer and I thought there was a thread with useful fresh install software, but I can’t find it. Does anyone know if that thread exists or if I made it up? And while I’m at it, does anyone want to share their must-have software suggestions?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Update I installed a bunch of things and my new (used) computer seems smoking fast. I realized I didn’t have as many resource intensive games as I thought, but now juggernauts like, uh, Dawn of War and Fallout New Vegas will run okay. I’m also primed for Steam sales over the next few months so I’ll have to add stuff to my wishlist that isn’t just pixel-based.

My friend told me he played through The Witcher 3 with this PC but he only had 4 GB of RAM. I bumped that up to 16 so I guess I’m ready for Cuberpunk 2077.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Two revelations tonight: I can finally play the copy of Disco Elysium I bought when everyone was talking about it being 2019 GOTY, and I *have* to fix my office chair so it doesn’t sink when I sit in it. Just a few hours of mouse & keyboard and I can already feel the strain in my wrists.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Eyeballing the PC Games Pass and it looks good. There are several games I just added to my Steam wishlist that would be included, not to mention the multiplayer things that I can now enjoy on game night. I have some questions though. Do games ever get cycled out of it? And things that are labeled “game previews” (World of Horror is listed like that) just demos?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Thanks. I canceled my Apple Arcade sub because it’s been pretty disappointing after launch and I spend my phone time on the forums, not playing games. I’m a little apprehensive about another sub but it is an incredible value that only continues to grow

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Sucks about the launcher but oh well. I can play both Ori games, Tides of Numera, Pillars of Eternity, Frostpunk, Rage 2, Flight Sim, Streets of Rage 4 and Crusader Kings 3 for $1. Maybe I could have scooped up some of them on a sale but I didn’t because I wasn’t in that place wrt a gaming pc. If it borks my partition with some untouchable file it’s not like I’m going to lose anything off this 24 hour-old install of Windows if I feel the need to start over. Everything’s in the cloud for better or worse.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I kind of regret starting FFXIV on the PS4 a few years ago because my account isn’t eligible for the free version. I’d have to spend like $100 to get the game and expansions and subscription if I wanted to move to PC, and my character was just barely starting the Heavensward storyline

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I beat Streets of Rage 4 last night. First playthrough so normal all the way and mixed up characters every few levels. Only Game Overed twice, both on Y Tower. I need to practice a little more with using defensive moves because I ate a lot of poo poo, but I appreciated the generous food stuffs throughout the stages. I think I want to try more as Floyd, normally I don’t like slow characters but I was kind of grooving with his aerial special just stomping all over the place.

Good game, worth my $1. Also played Descenders which is alright for a downhill cycling roguelike. The soundtrack is pretty good and I can see myself digging back in to kill some time in the future.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Awesome Animals posted:

I've really been cruising through FFT after overcoming that first real test of a fight. I also loving hate Argath/Algus.
The only thing Algus is good for is being target practice for your team to throw stones at.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Play Y0 then Y6, like me. Zero has better combat but 6 has just incredibly strong dad energy. I also am very appreciative of a character who is tough and knows he’s tough. Kiryu takes no poo poo and never flinches.

Like, in another game your protagonist might go up against a crime boss and be unsure of their ability, but say something inspiring and punch above their weight class. That’s fine but a well trod road when you’ve been playing games for decades. Kiryu knows that he’s going to apply expert punches that hit like freight trains while occasionally power bombing chumps with a bicycle. He is rarely phased and is completely confident that he will pulverize anyone who deserves it.

And that last part is important too, because he prefers non-violence. He’s just wise enough to know that direct action gets results, and he is the best person to take that action. He would much rather help young lovers understand each other, or entertain children, or assist the downtrodden.

tl;dr: Kiryu is the embodiment of “gently caress around and find out” and the Yakuza games are a treasure.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I’ll pay to support Y7. Vote for more JRPGs with my wallet

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Strongly feeling the pull to get that FFXIV complete pack. If someone notices the retail/non-Steam version go on sale could you pm me or :justpost:. I’m not tuned in enough to know when Square Enix posts sales on their site.

e: oh, I can get it on Amazon. That’s more familiar

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 13, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

If you get a Kindle (or even the free Kindle app, or any ebook reader really) you can use your public library card to borrow ebooks without leaving the house. I don’t read as much as I used to but it’s nice to decide I want to read something I’ve heard about and effortlessly borrow it or put a hold on it, and it automatically is returned at the end of the loan so you don’t have to worry about any fees. I wound up turning my Amazon wishlist into a list of library books. If I want to read them again, I just borrow them again. If I want to recommend it to someone, they can get it from their library.

Pretty neat!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I started playing CK3 but it’s pretty overwhelming. I’m just fabricating claims and over extending myself with wars. I don’t even know where to start when it comes to marrying my kids off to further my realm.

I lower a fight and the game crashes when I tried to reload a save, but I had been letting the game sit for a few hours while I was working. Maybe I’ll find some videos that explain the nuances and try again

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Force fields
Chasms
Burly men shaking their head "no"
Fences

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I remember doing serious analysis between the Game Boy and Game Gear before Christmas. I think it came down to the GB having Final Fantasy titles because FF1 basically defined the first 15 years of my life despite never beating it. It was my first RPG and making different parties and watching numbers go up just blew my tiny brain.

I never got Final Fantasy Adventure or Legends into years later, when I had a GBA SP.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Did your parents ever do the thing where you open the game first and then you realize they got you the console too? Like you open a small gift that’s a PSX memory card and things click into place?

My wife did that for me with the PS4, but I legit thought she had just gotten the wrong version of the game and was like “no problem, I’ll just keep it until we get the new console.” Which, thinking about it now, is kind of like saying “oh no, I don’t want to come up to your room, it’s late and I have a smash bros tourney tomorrow” levels of misreading the situation

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Continuing my exploration through Game Pass

Rage 2, Mechwarrior 5, Dishonored 2 - All run poorly with my GPU, in order from worst to best. I could probably manage through Dishonored but I’d rather just get it on PS4 when there’s a sale. Mechwarrior seems really cool but with everything a Very Low settings the mechs look like toys and the lasers kind of pop in and out.

West of Dead - kind of a cool mix of Enter the Gungeon and Deadcells, but just a little under baked at the moment. Western themed shooter roguelike where you can hide behind cover, all the weapons and abilities map to one of three skills and when you get upgrade orbs you can boost one of them, and you get some currency (Sin) that you spend t9 unlock items and weapons. The first unlock is a flask, and the guy fills it from a giant barrel. Just too similar to its inspiration

World of Horror - Very good. The art is amazing and it does a great job of conveying dread. Excited to see more events, although I’m worried that there’s too much random chance for me to really control outcomes. There’s also a ton of options and stuff that I haven’t interacted with. Both of my attempts wound up with me in the asylum, eager to see more.

Ori and the Blind Forest - Just started this but it’s very good and very much my jam. Gonna play a lot of this and then the sequel.

Lonely Mountain Downhill - Really enjoyable. Go downhill on a lonely mountain. Find shortcuts, go fast. I’ve been picking this up for a quick session here and there.

Streets of Rage 4 - All I can do is echo the praise this game has already received here. Love a good beat ‘em up.

BattleTech - Mechwarrior Tactics. I’m liking it quite a bit but I also think that I’m going to overwhelmed by stats. Casually scrolling through a shop showed me a ton of things I don’t grok, and I handled my first mission...poorly and started with a bunch of med bay and mech repairs that I didn’t really know how to deal with. It set me back a bit but I can probably dig my way out. Want to get a better keyboard/mouse solution first.

Still a bunch of games to try, but it’s been a lot of fun to dip into these things and find some gems.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://twitter.com/thetimoalbert/status/1316730169726578690?s=21

I’m still stuck in a Day 1 because I keep vomiting when I try to investigate the body and I’m getting nervous because I can’t pay for my hotel room

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Hey let’s list every console we’ve ever owned, I have a theory I need proving

Me:
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
PlayStation 2
GameCube
Switch

Atari 2800
NES
GameBoy
SNES
GameBoy Color
GameBoy Advance
PlayStation
GameCube
Dreamcast
PlayStation 2
Wii
GameBoy DS
XBox 360
PlayStation 3
WiiU
GameBoy 3DS
PlayStation Portable
PlayStation Vita
PlayStation 4
Switch

I think that’s it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

haveblue posted:

I will maintain my Posting Purity by reviewing all my posts at the end of the month and not checking bingo until then

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Holy poo poo. I just typed up a monster of a post ranking the contents of these drawers I haven't touched in years but it got ate because I cleared my cache when logging into Imgur and clicking Post sent me to the SA login page. I feel so stupid. Literally spent like 45 minutes on it.

Here are the loving drawers, ranked best to worst

Goddamn. poo poo!

e: aaargg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'll just rank the games I found in them. There was a lot of stuff like "PSP AC adapter?" and "Old cell phone with sticky case". I'll keep it thread relevant and redeem myself.
Ranked in order of how good a find I consider them

GBA SP
Chrono Cross (legit didn't know I owned this)
Sega Dreamcast (with controller, 1 VMU, and cables)
Parasite Eve
Valkyrie Profile
Advance Wars
Xenogears
Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (unopened)
Front Mission 4
Front Mission 3
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
ICO (PS2)
Killer 7 (PS2)
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Zelda: The Minish Cap
Etrian Odyssey
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII