Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Julias posted:

Munou na Nana
Bridge | Shinji Ishihara | Fumihiko Shimo | Psychological, Supernatural, Thriller, Shounen | Manga | Oct 4, 2020
It is the year 20XX. Earth was assaulted by monsters that would come to be known as "the Enemy of Humanity." In order to deal with this threat, special schools composed of teenagers with extraordinary abilities were formed. These people, who came to be known as "the Talented," had abilities that could defy the rules of reality. Among these people with supernatural powers was an outlier, an individual who was sent to one of these schools despite having no innate special abilities whatsoever. This is the story of our protagonist, who attempts to defeat the Enemies of Humanity through the use of intelligence and manipulation alone.
PV

this is based on a mostly untranslated manga, but what little there was to read of it was great. spoiler: the premise above is a total lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
jujutsu kaisen - hopefully the anime does a better job of conveying what's happening moment to moment than the manga, which i dropped

i guess thats it

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
is it me or is there a weird amount of unlicensed stuff this season? specifically Moriarty and the mappa athletes thing

then again maybe it's just unannounced?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Licensing can take a while, often even as late as several weeks into the season, nothing unusual

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Epi Lepi posted:

Noblesse is one of the few summaries that intrigued me, how come you think the adaptation might suck? Just a guess or are there red flags I知 not seeing since I知 not super knowledgeable about anime?

other people beat me to it but it seems like the trend for webtoon adaptions is to crunch the plot really intensely and cram like hundreds of chapters into a 12 episode show so I'm expecting it to basically be nonsense with maybe some nice looking fights.

Noblesse isn't especially deep because it is just an action/fighting comic but it does have a plot and imo does some decent character development especially around teambuilding and building up the side characters, like I think M-21's entire arc across the comic is really well done, so if that kind of stuff gets crunched or left out it removes all the charm of the original material.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

is it me or is there a weird amount of unlicensed stuff this season? specifically Moriarty and the mappa athletes thing

then again maybe it's just unannounced?

usually there's a handful of shows that get scooped up by crunchy or funi at the last minute. very rare for something thats not a kids show or a short to get passed over completely these days

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this is based on a mostly untranslated manga, but what little there was to read of it was great. spoiler: the premise above is a total lie.
think the talentless nana manga is on crunchyroll

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

I'm definitely watching Higurashi this season. I've loved the original show, tried to read the VN (I'm bad at sticking to these things), and have been ranting and raving about it for the last...14 years? gently caress. In all that time I've not managed to convince anyone else to watch it because I end up sounding like a raving lunatic when I gush about it. Surely this doesn't have anything to do with my reputation as a lunatic among friends.

Wandering Witch seems like it has an interesting premise, and interesting character designs. I'll definitely check it out, and it sure is pretty.

I'll take Adachi to Shimamura as a further foray into romantic shows. I've loved Bloom into You and came away highly impressed by Weathering with You, so maybe romance isn't that far outside my tastes after all...

Sleepy Princess is this season's cutesy Doga Kobo, and therefore a must-watch. They've got an excellent track record with that kind of show, so I expect that it'll largely continue. Plus, people seem to be happy that it got its own show, even if I've never read the source.

In a similar vein, I'll be trying out Ikebukuro West Gate Park. Wave, Listen to Me was allegedly pretty good, and I've heard a few people say that they love the source material for IWGP, so hopefully it'll live up to expectations. A friend asked me about that one too, so we'll watch it together.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear is honestly a bit of a crapshoot, but it looked cute enough to try it at least. I don't actually expect all that much of it considering it's a VRMMO show, but if I'm proven wrong, all the better.

If my list wouldn't already have all these plus last season's continuing Fire Force S2, I'd probably see about The Day I became God, but I try to limit myself to 6 shows a season. Anime nights become a bit too drawn out if I go higher than that. Overall, it seems like a strong season.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

oh, that'd explain why the scanlations died years ago.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wasn't Tower of God kinda haphazard and mediocre as a webtoon too?

I wouldn't say "mediocre," but it's one of those series where it's hard to say what's a writing flaw and what's a brilliant idea. The aspect that's most clearly a flaw is that a lot of the fight scenes heavily involve big generic energy blasts. It has some great atmosphere at times, but a lot of the plot/setting/characterization is rather vague, convoluted, or both. But of course a lot of that atmosphere comes precisely from the vagueness and convolutedness. "I want to see the stars because I'm afraid of the night" is a memorable line in part because of its multiple possible meanings in context, none of which feel wholly adequate to explain the actions of the character who utters it. There's a lot of Hunter x Hunter style high-stakes game-like scenarios with fairly complex rule sets, and it's hard to say how much this creates interesting situations to think through the tactical implications of vs. how much it's a satire of the gamified and hyper-competitive late-capitalist world vs. how much it's just false complexity to distract from the blandness of the energy blasts.

So, I don't know how to feel about it, and "haphazard" may not be wrong, but it's probably not "mediocre." :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Tower of God meanders a bit from time to time like any other long running shounen but I am still somehow far more invested in Bam and company and their eventual quest at present than I am with pretty much any other equivalent. I think its principal characters still work and the setting remains quite interesting IMO. Compared to say One Piece, a manga I've been reading for 16ish years that I went from reading speedscans and raws during certain arcs to skimming whatever the latest chapters are about now.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Coaaab posted:

Have they fixed either the android app or their webreader yet? Or is it still virtually impossible to read any manga Crunchyroll puts out?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nate RFB posted:

I think Tower of God meanders a bit from time to time like any other long running shounen but I am still somehow far more invested in Bam and company and their eventual quest at present than I am with pretty much any other equivalent. I think its principal characters still work and the setting remains quite interesting IMO. Compared to say One Piece, a manga I've been reading for 16ish years that I went from reading speedscans and raws during certain arcs to skimming whatever the latest chapters are about now.

I REALLY dislike the complete cast swap outs that they do for Tower of God. So much so I dropped the webtoon as I couldn't be assed to care about yet another new set of mains.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yak of Wrath posted:

Have they fixed either the android app or their webreader yet? Or is it still virtually impossible to read any manga Crunchyroll puts out?
It's so rear end-backwards that the only way I remember reading manga on Crunchyroll was through, like, a business-friendly (read: outdated as gently caress) version of Firefox.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The first episode of Assault Lily Bouquet was exactly what I'd expect from a show named Assault Lily Bouquet - which is to say that it seems pretty dumb but also pretty entertaining.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dzhay posted:

The popularity of this show continues to confuse and delight me.

(I mean, I liked it, but I assumed I was basically alone in that)

:same:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is it just me or is Assault Lily really loud?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Assault Lilly is really borrowing from Nanoha/Symphogear/other sources and just ramping the gay up to 11 and welp I'm in. Also helps it's stylish too

Like the first episode of Higurshi (going in blind which should be a thing)

Burn the Witch would be something I'd like if it was for the guy and also the feeling that it's just Bleach but in London

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

:siren:Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai
Sunrise | Tomoyuki Kawamura | Jin Tanaka | Music, Slice of Life, School | Other | Oct 3, 2020
Nijigasaki High School is located in Odaiba, Tokyo. The school is popular due to its free school style and diverse majors. The story centers on the members of school idol club in Nijigasaki, and their attempt to prevent the club from being abolished.
PV
Thread

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Psst the D4DJ title is broken and just showing the code. Also it starts October 30 and is streaming on a ton of services https://twitter.com/D4DJ_pj_EN/status/1309611451414323201

I'm watching that and Love Live for sure. Gonna three ep test Assault Lily and Yashahime, and I forgot Adachi to Shimamura was getting an adaptation so there's another one to test I suppose (haven't read the source material).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks KariOhki :)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

:siren:Jujutsu Kaisen
MAPPA | Seong-Hu Park | Hiroshi Seko | Action, Horror, Demons, Supernatural, School, Shounen | Manga | Oct 3, 2020
In a world where demons feed on unsuspecting humans, fragments of the legendary and feared demon Ryoumen Sukuna were lost and scattered about. Should any demon consume Sukuna's body parts, the power they gain could destroy the world as we know it. Fortunately, there exists a mysterious school of Jujutsu Sorcerers who exist to protect the precarious existence of the living from the undead! Yuuji Itadori is high schooler who spends his days visiting his bedridden grandfather. Although he looks like your average teenager, his immense physical strength is something to behold! Every sports club wants him to join, but Itadori would rather hang out with the school outcasts in the Occult Club. One day, the club manages to get their hands on a sealed cursed object, but little do they know the terror they'll unleash when they break the seal.
PV
Thread

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Very happy with Wandering Witch's first episode. Great character artwork, great VA, more ambitious animation than I expected, really gets the novels' charm across. Expect that to be an AOTS contender.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think I like the Pacing and Hata's art in the Manga more, but Tonikawa is good.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Some first impressions:

Higurashi: Speaking as someone with no prior knowledge of this series, this wasn't very good. I don't like the character designs, the animation often felt stiff, and the plot hasn't grabbed me yet. Still going to keep watching it for now to see where it goes.

Assault Lily: Slick production but nothing to set it apart from the dozens of similar shows, hard to get excited about something this derivative.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Hata seems cursed with low-budget anime adaptions, but Tonikawa is cute nonetheless.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tonikawa at the very least has opening of the season locked up

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Nasa's design feels off compared to the manga. His hair should be lighter, with more body in back.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Tonikawa at the very least has opening of the season locked up

It's an interesting OP for sure:

https://youtu.be/F1TRDtEnSGM

Though on a personal level I'd give it to Jujutsu Kaisen:

https://youtu.be/v8bZVdTgXoY

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It might be just me but I think Golden Kamuy needs every :siren: the forums can spare.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It might be just me but I think Golden Kamuy needs every :siren: the forums can spare.

Maybe this is just my comic snob side talking, but I thought that Golden Kamuy anime was

I don't want to say letdown but

Not as good as the manga deserves, maybe

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The manga is pretty much entirely translated on Crunchyroll.

I checked out the first few chapters so I am going to watch it. It's normally localized as Talentless Nana. Also the Premise is not a lie, it's just deceptive.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maybe this is just my comic snob side talking, but I thought that Golden Kamuy anime was

I don't want to say letdown but

Not as good as the manga deserves, maybe

I can understand. Sometimes when a manga gets an anime adaptation, the addition of animation and music and voices can really elevate it above the source material, such as Demon Slayer. But in the case of Golden Kamui, the manga's artstyle and paneling is just so great that when you compare it to the anime, where the art isn't as detailed and the other elements are just "okay", it results in a product that feels like it could have been much greater, which is where that disappointed comes in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't disagree but I'm not sure it's possible to create the anime series that the Golden Kamuy manga deserves.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

cave emperor posted:

Assault Lily: Slick production but nothing to set it apart from the dozens of similar shows, hard to get excited about something this derivative.

fiction... no, existence is derivative

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This show as you now watch it and have watched it, you will have to watch once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your anime will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence容ven this lily symbolism and this leg placement between her thighs, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!'

Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous god anime when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.' If this thought gained possession of you, it would change you as you are or perhaps crush you. The question in each and every thing, 'Do you desire this once more and innumerable times more?' would lie upon your actions as the greatest weight. Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This show as you now watch it and have watched it, you will have to watch once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your anime will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence容ven this lily symbolism and this leg placement between her thighs, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!'

Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous god anime when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.' If this thought gained possession of you, it would change you as you are or perhaps crush you. The question in each and every thing, 'Do you desire this once more and innumerable times more?' would lie upon your actions as the greatest weight. Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life?

nipah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

*nodding* i like when girls kiss

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Enjoyed the first episode of wondering Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I just saw the first episode of Yashahime. It's nice that they finally adapted the epilogue, and I enjoyed seeing the old characters again. However, I'm more excited about seeing the girls in action starting next episode, as from the small glimpses of them in the first episode, they seem like fun characters.