Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I like WWE a lot. At least Smackdown, and when Hurt Business is on RAW, or anything in any of their women’s divisions. To me their highs are very high and the lows suck but it’s better to just not watch the parts you don’t like, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I'm sorry but I can't think of the majority of the wrestlers of WWE in any kind of negative light about this. Sure there are some bootlicking assholes at the top of the card like Braun, but as someone whose industry was eradicated by COVID, I will never fault anyone for doing whatever it takes to keep a job right now. This is survival, and it isn't their fault. I'd love if they organized a walk out, a strike, or anything like it but bills keep coming and wrestling is such a niche thing it's not likely the populace will come out to support them. They are for the majority the victims here, in my mind it's not fair to judge the wrestlers for the most part.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

ICR posted:

Good post. Can’t fault anything you said.

Let me just add my piece and peace to this a la resigned to re-sign a point I must make.

I don’t care this happened during COVID so you gotta do what you gotta do. I understand that point, but I’m talking about everything else not pandemic related.

The upper management players have always silenced their performers and acted like they own them. This particular instance just so happened in a vulnerable position with a pandemic going on. There has been negative press after negative press after negative press with this company. It only lives because of its name value, its political roots and its die hard fans who simply don’t know how to quit. Addiction is tough. I understand that and my condolences go out to those who struggle.

There was a time I sided with the talent. A very, very select few I still do. Basically, the ones who signed eons ago when there was no other company to work for. This industry was a monopoly and only last year finally saw an OPTION to perform their craft on TV. If you’re a talent who is a TV performer and you do this craft because you want to entertain millions, you only have two options. Two. You used to only have one. Impact and other promotions exist because well, you either aren’t ready for that or simply don’t want that. That’s extreme pressure and judgment and you gotta be ready and wanting it.

Every. Single. Performer. Knows. Exactly. What. They. Are. Getting. Into. When. They. Sign. With. The. WWE. In. Its. Current. State.

I can fault performers for years ago. I understand why they probably signed.

But my point I have is that this isn’t some new issue either. This has been ongoing forever at this point and it got especially bad a few years ago as Vince really showed he isn’t mentally fit to run a company anymore. He’s out of touch with the times. We have a 70+ year old calling the shots for 20-40 year olds like he knows them. He promises a dream just based on the name “WWE” alone.

This industry is desperate for change. It craves it and it needs it. It was destined to die off if no other company formed and thank god one did that has a chance to survive and even that isn’t guaranteed.

There’s a chance this twitch and cameo ban doesn’t last and then people say, “See! Vince came to his senses it’s ok now!”

It’s not OK because then it’ll be something else. The world has passed Vince by and he is going to kill his company when he dies too.

And I say bring it on because maybe it’ll spawn a new company, lead by real leaders who want talent to thrive, employees to be happy and fair and just treatment to those who want to love their craft, show that love and be loved by not just their fans, but by all people who can classify this and appreciate this as a SPORT.

You aren't wrong about anything you said. The wrestlers are so vulnerable we need a serious as gently caress fan movement to help them. We need to be doing the organizing via not giving WWE money, and expressing discontent because we as the fans have nothing to lose.

I have been a network subscriber since it's debut. I need to come to terms with the selfish part of me that enjoys that archive content so much and cancel, but selfishly i'm not there yet. It's a conundrum, but the fans really have the biggest power here and I really think everyone at fight island has a good heart for the most part. How do we get people at reddit, twitter, etc to be on the same page and unify for the workers we love who are too oppressed to do it themselves?

loving #givedivasachance worked, and I don't disparage that movement at all it lead to some of my favorite all time wrestling, but surely if that worked collectively we can move the needle even more towards equality for all wrestlers in WWE becuase there are so many kind hearted, genuine as poo poo, good loving people working there and they give so much of their time, their bodies, and minds for the fans.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Rarity posted:

#givedivasachance was also 6 years ago now before the rot of the last few years. #Naomideservesbetter changed gently caress all

I believe and it's possible i'm dumb here but had she not required surgery it Naomi would have been pushed somewhat. Without real crowds to hijack and push the WWE to do the right thing though it's incredibly difficult to get them to listen. The thunderdome is bad for the WWE because it allows no true feedback to what they're doing. We have seen in the past many times that if the fans are actually pissed enough, WWE will change.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

is HHH going to stream metal gear solid. When he was on UUDD he said that was the only video game he ever played.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

WWE is too dense and uncompromising to understand that you don't expand into the mainstream by getting articles written about you in content farm aggrigator bullshit sites like Forbes. Letting their superstars do cameo, twitch whatever is a billion times more likely to spread awareness of their shows than any bullshit old media.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

WWE is just pushing people out the door to join AEW or the independents right now. Holy poo poo they're so stupid.

reminds me of the Vince sent Hall and Nash to WCW to kill it conspiracy

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

So 24 years ago Vince was the same age as HHH is now. Vince in 96 is, I think, probably the kick off point for him being most connected to then popular culture?

Like he's out of touch now completely and never did that great, but imagining HHH having the same progression of lame by the time he's heading up the WWE is mind-boggling. He's already so lame.

I think it's more popular culture at the time was a cesspit of edginess and try hard gen x bullshit, it just happened to align with who Vince has always been.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I don't think it's fair to Paige to try and dunk on her for bringing into the public conversation what everyone has been saying the wrestling industry needs here for weeks, months, and years.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I don't see how anyone can say Lana is being buried when she's never been presented as anything but a heel who can't wrestle. She's getting memorable spots every week and probably isn't capable of having good matches so what is a better use for her?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Didn't he turn into Dabba-Kato?

Nah he's the door guy for RAW Underground now.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well according to Ricochet: he's not done with The Hurt Business yet.

According to The Hurt Business: :lol: this loving loser :laffo:

The Hurt Business is always right. Ricochet is a loser

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

If NXT got rid of it's men's division it'd improve the show a lot.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I've looked at that picture a bunch and his ankle looks fine to me, am I crazy?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Pylons posted:

Why isn't the Third Brand in the draft?

because NXT sucks and it’s good they’re not involved.

I just hope they don’t ruin Smackdown by bringing over bottom tier poo poo like Braun, Ricochet, anything involving Retribution, or Underground.

I’d like to see Smackdown lose Shorty G, Cesaro and Sheamus, and Jeff Hardy, but I like the Smackdown roster the way it is and will probably be disappointed.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Isn’t Braun a Smackdown guy?

He’s been on both shows inexplicably in the last few months. Not sure his real alignment. loving hate the guy.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Ok I get that he kisses up a lot on social media but in what world would Ricochet ever been considered bottom tier poo poo. Especially in a company filled with bad wrestlers and sex pests.

He’s the worst promo I have ever seen. Watch his Smackdown commercial, he is incapable of even the bare minimum of line delivery.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Is anyone making a Smackdown thread?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Wait did they break up New Day?

Yes, to what looked like shoot surprise of the performers.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Does anyone have a pic of Roman’s bizarrely decorated house?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Imagine a world where instead of Jason Jordan being used in a wannabe edgy angle that would only be edgy to racists, Gable was Kurt’s kayfabe son instead?

The heat Vince expected from Angle having a black son was thankfully and rightfully not there at all, and Gable could have been positioned as Kurt’s protege.

I mean you could also just had Angle manage and coach American Alpha, and get them both over! Imagine

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

davidbix posted:

He bought his home cash for something like $2.5 million...in 2010. Before his biggest earning years in WWE.

Don't you mean "We" bought his house?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

WWE's titles have zero prestige and that sucks. No title in WWE has meant poo poo since Daniel Bryan forfeited the WWE title and John Cena lost his US to Del Rio. I don't think other companies in the US have made their titles matter either, I'm not sure what's going on but no major companies titles mean poo poo right now. EVIL winning the IWGP and Naito's nothing reign devalued that title. Moxley's world title could mean something but he doesn't take it anywhere except AEW TV which devalues it. WWE titles certainly mean the least in all of America right now but maybe it's COVID but the titles haven't meant a drat thing in forever. There is no more World's Champion because the world is completely disconnected and hosed up.

There are too many belts. Way too loving many in WWE, there should be like three for the women total, and three for the men total including tag belts. There's too many belts in NJPW, there's too many belts in AEW. World titles are meaningless and it's everyone's fault, because everyone is booking their titles the Vince McMahon way, as props. Titles should be for the top of the business performers. Becky was that, Bryan was that, Cena was that as US champ, Okada was that, Omega was that. Their stupid props now, it sucks.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Rarity posted:

Not Mox but AEW title played a big role in the Tana/Jericho feud and ended with Jericho taking the belt to Wrestle Kingdom which made it feel like a huge deal

I agree this was awesome and should be the directive at all times for that title.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

I have a lot of questions here. First of all Naito is undeniably a top of the business performer, the man objectively has been the most popular guy in Japan for years by now by any metric. Even under the least charitable assumptions he's a draw on the level of Okada and definitely a far bigger draw than Omega was.

Second, how does the bolded part make any sense? Where exactly is he supposed to take it? And AEW has four championships. How is that too many? The only one you could possibly argue is superfluous is the TNT Championship, but promotions have had midcard belts since forever and it's been established as a legit title and has led to some great matches.

Basically it's like you're taking a legit criticism that definitely applies to WWE and generalizing it to all major promotions for some reason even when it clearly doesn't apply.

I think Naito losing to evil was a huge mistake if EVIL was going to lose the title himself so quickly but that's for the NJPW thread which, I derailed here so that's on me. I don't think it's Naito's fault though, he's a star, but you give a star a bad run and it diminishes them, and COVID is even worse for this, like Drew should be having a star making year but it's out of his hands, I think NJPW hosed up by not keeping the belt on Naito in the way WWE didn't gently caress up by keeping the belt on Drew.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

So I kind of just need to vent a little bit about what's going on with WWE right now, as a WWE fan since I was very young, I don't understand why the company won't try to appeal to me at all.

I was always more of a WCW, ECW, and when I could get ahold of it, AJPW fan. So maybe WWE was never going to really be for me, but I have also enjoyed it as much as any of those other promotions when WWE is at it's best. Daniel Bryan's career, MITB 2011, Kurt Angle at his peak, Austin and the Rock, or HHH and Foley. Bret Hart is to me one of the greatest performers to ever do it, a definite Mt. Rushmore figure for me, and his best years were in the WWF, so I know the company can appeal to me. Often now even, the women's division will carry the shows for me, and I still attest that NXT has the best, most talented women performers right now over AEW, RAW, or Smackdown, but nonetheless the company continually prefers beating a fan like me over the head with heat, nonsensical stories that don't conclude or lead into other stories, and continually failing to deliver on promises, matches, or stipulations for more heat.

Why does this company see me, a life long fan, solely as something to antagonize and get heat from me? Besides the obvious answers that don't really solve the question entirely like "It's Vince", what is influencing this direct choice to treat me so badly as a life long fan, network subscriber, and live show attender? Is it because there is a different type of fan they care about more than me? If so who are these mythical people that will care more about the performers and be willing to get invested in the stories of WWE more than I? I'd really like to know, because I think any potential fans that aren't children have moved on to AEW, NJPW, or a million other promotions that while they do get heat, it's always in service of the pay off for the fan, in WWE it almost never is.

I'm not like many of you here and that's okay with me. I don't take it personally at all that something I'm a fan of many here are not, I totally, completely get it. I just personally want to hang on, for Bryan, for Becky, for Andrade, Bayley, Sasha, Io, Bianca, Roman, Drew, so many great performers who I love and who have brought me joy somehow despite the constant attempt by the booking to make sure that joy gets crushed into heat, that that joy gets mockingly thrown in my face any time I am able to care. Has there ever been any entertainment ever that so boldly says "You are stupid for liking this thing we're making, and you're stupid for caring about the performers, gently caress you for enjoying this thing we made". It's absolutely psychotic.

Andrade doesn't get drafted while a racist, talentless piece of poo poo like Lars gets pushed to the moon. It can't be all Vince, look how bad Hunter is at booking in the same drat way. Kushida went from some of the greatest Jr. Heavyweight performances of all time, adored by many, to being forced into programs with pedophiles. A talent like Cedric Alexander is relegated to third fiddle while Matt Riddle is presented as some kind of star. A guy who said he needed weed to not beat his own children, let alone the other poo poo he's been accused of that's likely true.

Why, why, why don't they like me? I'm not asking for my favorites to always be on top, just treat them better. Let them perform in a way that makes them happy, so the fans can be happy for them. You aren't getting me invested when you break my heart over and over, you're just...breaking my heart over and over. It's not heat, it's just taking one of my only escapes from how bad the world is and making it sad too.

Please WWE, I say to the ether, treat what fans you have left better, give me a reason to smile and cheer. I'm tired of being sad all the time.

Anyway see you for Smackdown...and fortunately Dynamite.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Just wanna say thanks for allowing me to rant a little, it helps a lot and I'm trying to get better at it without also being a doomer about poo poo. Glad this place exists, and I really do hope AEW can succeed enough to be a place that can give as many folks opportunities they can't get in WWE while Vince McMahon's booking philosophy exists.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Sorry man. You are cool. It’s not the fault of you or any of the wwe fans. Don’t know if that helps or makes it worse but none of this is on us. All things between two entities are relationships. People, jobs, corporations... it doesn’t matter. It’s a relationship. Think about what you and others have said about how the wwe treats you. It’s not wrong. Think about the disgusting things the company does on a weekly basis. If you applied the same words to a person you were dating, you’d flee and be wise for it. Unhealthy relationship. Lessen as much contact as you need to so you feel better about life. I used to be bothered about it a little but since I couldn’t force wwe to be better than the parasitic, creepy rear end cult that it is, I chose to not care as much. I enjoy posting with you guys and laughing every step of the wwe’s implosions. I still think it will limp along for a few years but can’t imagine it lasting over another decade. Could be wrong but I hope not. Could it be saved? Possibly but why worry about it? They will continue to use and con people until the day comes that people get sick of their shite. Then they will be talked about like wccw or nwa by some old timers and small groups of weirdos. They don’t make new fans and the fans they have finally have enough of the abuse or die of old age. Those super sweet tv deals will fade as the show already has trouble beating reruns of boomer detective show #708. Nobody cares outside of America and they have already gotten caught at lying about how sweet the Saudi deal really is. All this and bleeding money like Dixie Carter. Yeah they’ve conned their way to profits but that isn’t going to last. It’s already dead... it just
doesn’t know it yet. You can’t save it or make it better. Do what you need to take care of yourself. You cool. Let wwe go and enjoy the newer and better things in your life.

You're not wrong. It's wild because pain, defeat, these things can be healthy in enjoying something. I'm a huge Souls/Bloodborne fan, and those games are brutally difficult, it takes me years to complete one, but there's a reason for the difficulty, there's always triumph on the other side of the defeat. At some point WWE became completely disinterested in showcasing triumph, success, and good guys winning out in the end and settled on a cycle of petty burials, telling you who to care about and punishing you when you naturally care for the good guys over the self centered dicks they always position as the babyface.

I think Drew for the most part has been a good champion in a really hard to watch era, but even with him they run the same feud over and over because they can't just...let the good guy win the big one. There always has to be a come back for the heel. A part of me genuinely thinks Vince just enjoys making people sad and let down, out of some twisted self hatred manifesting as a hatred of the WWE fans.

The WWE universe is to Vince McMahon what the circles of hell are to Lucifer.

A run like Moxley's current one in AEW would never happen in WWE, and probably hasn't since the Hogan era, where a good guy consistently can win, be in peril but overcome and not be cruel or weird and reject normal good guy attitudes like having friends, caring about others, or caring about the fans. Moxley isn't a clean cut white meat babyface, but he's honest and cares about the fans, is cool with people who are cool with him but will drop someone who is a dick like MJF and the next week isn't going to be made a fool of after winning. Mox would be impossible in WWE now. Their idea of a protagonist is a hateful, spiteful prick who beats up the weak, humiliates when he's already won, trusts no one even the people who are good, and is essentially a sociopathic loner, a toxic masculinity type of anti hero is all they know, even Cena was often this.

Eat My Fuc fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 14, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Wrestling in general is something like comic books or smoking. They have to get them as kids. No one in their 30s suddenly gets into wrestling or comics or starts smoking.

I don’t disagree with everything you said but I have seen many people and not just lapsed fans, get into wrestling in their 30s and 40s when it’s good like AEW, or NJPW, or even WWE when they’re at my house for a Rumble party or something. It’s possible, very hard with how WWE is booked now to keep them though.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Tweak posted:

The Rock is angling for this match already isn't he

He can’t do a match any time in the near future due to insurance in regards to all his upcoming movie projects. I think it’s unlikely we will ever see the Rock in a real match again.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

that HIAC is one of the funniest things that ever happened though. I’ve gone back to laugh at how badly they botched that. It’s easily a worst match of all time contender that manages to not be boring due to the apoplectic crowd.

I am excited for the return of the greatest of all time, the american dragon, the planet’s champion, father of Buddy and Birdie, Daniel “Bryan Danielson” Bryan

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Is it just me or does breaking off Big E from the New Day and having him go from a fun tag wrestler to a serious solo wrestler sound like the storyline is "Big E's depressed"?

Big Ennui

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

There’s currently a Honda commercial featuring John Cena as the narrator but he is not
mentioned or seen. Why would Honda shell out for Cena and not use his likeness? Why not hire just a nobody narrator for cheaper?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

john cena does a SHITLOAD of commercial voiceovers now. I hear him on probably 6-10 different ads everyday when I pirate american cnn and he's very good at it.

though they got a new, worse guy to do the pistachios elephant recently

Good for John then dang. I’ve enjoyed him in most of his movie roles but he doesn’t get great movies unfortunately.

It’s tragic what happened with Ferdinand, I think Cena could have been fine in the role but you take a children’s book with a beautiful iconic art style and give it that kind of trash animation of course it will fail.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Kvantum posted:

There's one outcome to the Big E situation that makes sense: E wins the Rumble and challenges for the WWE championship, putting them back together after just long enough for it to feel like a real reunion and not just a dumb tease.

Of course this is WWE so that ain't happening. :sigh:

Calling it: Big E will eliminate his new day former friends in the rumble, Cole will say something dumb like “It’s not about friendship, it’s about going to Wrestlemania: The Fantastic Freak Show!”

Big E will then get eliminated by Lars who will win the match.

I will be sitting, half watching, eyes glazed over wondering why are we here? only to suffer?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Aren't the demos pretty good though? The ratings discourse always confuses the hell out of me because for one thing ratings were plummeting when WWE got their current mega deals, and sometimes people say that only the demo matters and sometimes they don't and I feel like people here are smarter than the people over at places like reddit where there are a million conflicting opinions that are probably all wrong and confusing to me.

It could explain why networks keep pouring money into the WWE if their demos are good despite falling viewership.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The demos for Smackdown are down massively in the key areas where advertisers are keen to see good numbers. One of the frequent concerns listed for WWE as a whole is that their viewership skews far older (50+) than advertisers are interested in (18-49, but 18-34 in particular) and is at least perceived to have low purchasing power which means it is difficult to either attract quality sponsors or to charge a higher rate.

WWE frequently has to tangle themselves into knots to try and find a way to make their ratings and demo breakdowns sound good, because increasingly they're showing significant drops far higher than other shows in general are seeing. Given they got their money because they were considered DVR proof and were expecting to be regularly bringing in 3million+ total audiences, unless something changes then the chances of them getting anywhere near as good a deal next time are very low. That, and that alone (not all the sexual harassment, bullying, illegal employee exploitation etc) will make the shareholders upset, because if number not go up, shareholders abandon a company or try to force changes.

Word, I appreciate the breakdown. This stuff is so weird to me!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Almost everyone who held the briefcase a long time had an amazing cash in, so i'm not worried about otis. He probably will be cashing in for the IC title though which sucks but it's inevitable the MITB will be heavily watered down i'm surprised it's taken this long

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm kinda not sure about that, since Otis is the most endearing face and him just no selling the whole Roman heel act would be fantastic.

I always assumed Otis was there to feud with the Fiend but I think they threw everything out when Roman told the office he wanted back in.

I base this on him having an altercation with Sami on Smackdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Rarity posted:

This is wrong. He ambushed John Cena after a match on Smackdown, hit him with the case a bunch and then cashed in. He still lost.

John Cena was also selling a recent arm surgery throughout the match. Sandow beat Cody in the feud leading up to him jobbing to Cena.