Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hope one of the wrestlers does a puffball interview where they casually mention it and the interviewer is shocked and accidently becomes an investigative journalist/reformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

xbilkis posted:

I get it with respect to something like the Saudi deal, but "gently caress the workers for working for a company that just invented a new way to be lovely to workers" isn't really tracking to me

Especially right now when the "solution" for those wrestlers would be for them to risk their jobs in the middle of a pandemic. They're being victimized and its not crazy to imagine WWE is purposely using the pandemic as leverage to implement this. I'm not goin to blame the wrestlers for that, and I'm definitely not gonna do so while giving the WWE money or support.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. We can criticize the MLB Players Union if they drop the ball in CBA negotiations because that's their job. Its what they're supposed to be doing and they provide that protection to all those players so they can fight back. Getting mad at hundreds of individuals for not stepping up to become Curt Flood is just lovely especially if it comes in parallel with continued support for the guys causing this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The "cult" thing while accurate in a lot of ways distracts from the bigger picture that its their livelihoods. That's WHY wrestlers "buy into the cult." Because they're trying to keep their jobs and lives and paychecks in order. For a lot of them they probably start fully aware of how much bullshit it is, but by the time they've made enough money to be a little comfortable they've begun to buy in because the cult just surrounds them and everyone they know. That cult thing is useful for us to understand why so many wrestlers defend the indefensible, reject criticism, rationalize bad treatment, and lash out the way they do but the other side of this is its still always been a powerful corporate machine using money and job security to leverage people out of their rights.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Between RAW Underground and this it feels like everyone in WWE creative is having a collective mid life crisis.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rarity posted:

Florida is getting over 2000 new covid cases a day so this is the perfect time to remove social distanced plexiglass for a far less protective chain-link barrier

I'm sure they sprayed them down real good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Heh, I just flipped over and saw that the BDK's slogan is "I'm In". That's funny to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Retribution look soooo stupid.

And I'm so confused as to who the faces and the heels are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

Braun said to Adam Pearce,"I know there's no Raw Underground tonight but I still want a fight!" and then they moved on to talking about other things and never mentioned WHY Raw Underground just randomly wasn't running this week.

Is Braun not on SD anymore? Wasn't he mired in some convoluted story with Bray Wyatt and Alexa Bliss? Did he move on to making himself feel better by beating up students in a basement?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I swear every RAW recap posted looks more and more like a TEW AI recap.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And they did the exact same thing with all the Latino dudes before this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought Satin already worked for Fox/WWE?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I agree that if NXT was not a WWE product with WWE production, pacing, storytelling, booking, and character work and was instead the super indy it got all its talent from it would be a better promotion I might watch.

I guess that's called PWG+SHIMMER?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

quote:

• Since Friday Night SmackDown is a two-hour show and Monday Night RAW is a three-hour show, for every two picks SmackDown has, RAW will get three picks
Ha!

quote:

The Hurt Business (Lashley, Shelton Benjamin, Cedric Alexander and MVP)
Lucha House Party (Kalisto, Gran Metalik and Lince Dorado)
The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods)
RETRIBUTION (Mustafa Ali, T-BAR, MACE, SLAPJACK, RECKONING & RETALIATION)

Erik (of The Viking Raiders)
Ha!

Here for a round where RAW drafts 13 people and Smackdown drafts 2.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eat My Fuc posted:

He’s the worst promo I have ever seen. Watch his Smackdown commercial, he is incapable of even the bare minimum of line delivery.

So he doesn't have to talk. This is distinctly WWE thing. Everyone has to be the full complete superstar instead of booking to maximize their strengths and hide their weaknesses. If a guy is a great wrestler but can't talk then have him wrestle and not talk. That's why managers exist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also restricting your radical protest agenda to the show that drafts you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

In case you're wondering how the draft went:

Raw picked 18 people for the 12 people they get to pick, and Smackdown picked 9 people for the 8 people they get to pick.

RAW also picked 5 championships and SD picked 1.

SD doesn't understand what they're doing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I look forward to someoen from WWE calling the fans entitled babies and nerds for being upset that they needlessly broke up the single most beloved and over fan favorite act of probably the last 10 years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like there's really no reason to watch a show after they return a nazi to feud with a rapist and break up the most beloved act in the business. This is actively hostile.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not even a New Day fan (I don't dislike them, I just don't watch enough WWE to be a fan) and I'm pissed. Its a dick move with no purpose. And they actively teased a triumphant celebratory reunion just to make it hurt more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't even operate under the assumption that WWE "worked" New Day. Maybe they did because they're proven they're assholes like that before, but assuming they didn't they still broke up their most popular act for no good reason, in a way that doesn't make any sense, adn which allegedly they don't want done. Its lovely from multiple angles.

But like, if people need to argue in this instance that WWE wouldn't be petty and short sighted and break up a popular act... that's a weird time to draw that line.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Haha! WWE titles are utterly meaningless.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, didn't WWE used to do a whole thing about how "OH MY GOD! WE'RE LOSING OUR TITLES!" and then the GM would desperately book a title match with all the brand's hopes on the line because "what happens if we have no titles?"

Now I guess Adam Pearce just goes "trade, all the titles are interchangeable anyway"?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DuhSal posted:

speaking of lazy, somebody actually drafted RETRIBUTION lol

I suppose it makes about as much as sense as giving the radical anarchists hell bent on destroying you contracts.

Its remarkable how bad WWE storytelling and writing is. Like even by wrestling standards. Like at least the nWo or Aces & Eights or whoever had excuses.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

Raw drafted Titus O'Neil
Wait, what? He still wrestles? Did they really run out of people that fast?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I flipped over briefly because the game was between innings and I'm a sucker for battle royals and they did this really (unintentionally) funny spot where Natalya and Lacey have dueling "almost eliminated" moments as they hang on desperately to the ropes. And Natalya like gets tossed in the middle of the ring and just dangles from the ropes having to use her strength to stay in and then fight her way back to the apron. And Lacey got tossed in the corner and had her back to the ring post and her rear end on the apron and just kind of dangled one leg lazily off to the side. And these two were clearly designed to be equal dueling spots. And that made me laugh.

Its comforting to know in these trying times that some things are constant like Lacey Evans is terrible and she's getting pushed regardless.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like "Lana is happy about it" just makes the whole thing sadder.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vandar posted:

Asuka vs. Lana is going to end with Nia showing up to put Lana through a table, mark my words.

I've seen no part of any of this besides that battle royal and even I can predict that for next week. It seems so blatantly obvious they should just advertise it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait, didn't Jeff JUST get drafted to RAW?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The right way to do it would be I guess an Expansion Draft where each brand gets X number of protection spots and Y number of picks. Then you could tell stories about who is and isn't protected and which unprotected wrestlers get passed over or get taken by surprise as top prospects or hidden gems.

But that's all far too much thought, planning, and character work for WWE.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Ricochet did that spot fine and I don't understand the criticism at all. I mean, I don't begrudge anyone not caring because its WWE and I'm sure there's no reason to care about him or the story. And as much as I find it sad how WWE has apparently bumbled Ricochet so badly that a bunch of WWE fans have "always bad"'d him I guess I understand it. But in a vacuum that looks like a fun spot and I wish WWE was better at production so his comedy fall could have been more obvious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its fundamentally flawed to put the focus of the blame for WWE on any one individual be that the guy at the top in McMahon who helped define much of the problems or the guy rationalizing his position towards the bottom in Ricochet. Its a human instinct to look for an easy explanation or person to blame or one thing that could get fixed to solve the problem but really its just a poisoned company and culture.

But Ricochet did the Eddie spot correctly and his faint amused me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gumball Gumption posted:

And that's all Vince's fault. It's not like WWE is being run by committee or has some sort of structure that spreads around power. It's very obvious everything runs through Vince and he's the last word on anything. I don't think it gets better when he goes away because anyone who would gain power has learned everything under him but it's sick because he's sick. Getting rid of him doesn't fix it but it's all his fault.

Yeah, but I don't care about blame. Vince won, there's nothing we can do about it, our blame doesn't affect him, his children and sycophants and money will rewrite his history as its covered up his present and past, there's no justice to be found here. All we can really do is move forward and be aware that Steph and HHH aren't a solution, they're part of the problem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Gotcha, yeah I can agree with that. I think he's entirely responsible and if you ask me who to blame it's him. He's the root of the tree. But the whole thing is sick and no one in a position to be in charge is making it better.

Yeah, its a bad knee jerk for me. I'll admit that. Its not that I think Vince isn't to blame. Its just that every time X does something bad and people say "Blame Vince" my knee jerk reaction is "No, blame everyone else involved as well because they're all to blame for going along with it and allowing it to happen."

I've been trying to cut back on it. My bad. It got crossed up with one of my other knee jerks with the "always bad" thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The "get when they're young" theory feels like borderline self deprecating. To compare being a wrestling fan to an unhealthy, physically damaging addiction is... odd. There's certainly an air of that to some fans, especially WWE fans, and I've certainly gone through my "I'm just watching because I haven't broken the habit" phases. But like... there's no reason to think adults can't enjoy wrestling unless you just don't think its any good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think all people go through a phase of "its time to put away childish things" where you become self conscious about the stuff you liked when you were kid. And some people just reject it all as "kids stuff" and others lose themselves entirely in it and make it part of their identity. But like, there's nothing wrong or weird about adults having dumb hobbies or entertainment. Every adult you know watches sports or soap operas or reality tv or reads trashy novels or watches hours of youtube videos or something dumb. Its healthy and normal to have releases and hobbies and a hobby should inherently be something you just enjoy with no real weight.

And my experiences with non-fans have basically never been unpleasant. In college we used to sit around and watch wrestling on Monday nights or before going out on Thursday night and non fans would join in. On a few occasions I've orchestrated PPV watch parties with largely non fans and everyone was fine with it. Hell, I've sat and watched an episode of Dynamite while my elderly mother was in the room and she got a kick out of the athleticism, responded to a Cody promo about his dad, and hated MJF.

If wrestling is bad I have no problem calling it bad and no shame when a friend does because no, I agree... that's garbage and not worth watching. If its good and entertaining then people can get into it, especially since enthusiasm is infectious and social. If its dumb and they mock it, hey that's cool because I'm gonna do the same when you're watching that E! show later.

I think the problem is the "hate watching" and habit viewing. If every week you watch RAW and come away going "that was a bad show" then its gonna be weird justifying it to someone who isn't a fan because... why would you watch bad tv unless you were some kind of an addict?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is it just me or does breaking off Big E from the New Day and having him go from a fun tag wrestler to a serious solo wrestler sound like the storyline is "Big E's depressed"?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I keep forgetting the WWE Network has a free tier now and thinking "I should check out what's on it" but then not because its WWE.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People LOVED Kennedy. Don't let them fool you.

There was a long period of every mediocre FCW call up with a mildly different hook, gimmick, move, or style becoming the flavor of the month. Its what happens when your audience is starving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't mean to suggest WWE trained guys, although I can understand if I screwed up the wording on that. I just meant any fresh face offering something new got buzz.