Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2..._medium=twitter

quote:

Wrestling Inc. has learned that Vince McMahon sent an email to talent this week reminding them that they have until this Friday, October 2nd, to sever any unauthorized business relationships with third parties. It was noted that talent who fail to comply could be fined, suspended or terminated.

As Wrestling Inc. first exclusively reported in September, McMahon issued an edict instructing talent that they can no longer engage with third parties. The company later clarified the edict, stating that talent could maintain Twitch and YouTube accounts under their real names, however they would still need to inform the company of those accounts.

Wrestling Inc. has also learned that talent were told this week that the company will be taking control of their Twitch accounts in four weeks. WWE will own those accounts, however talent will receive a percentage of the revenue, which counts against their downside guarantees.

Former Democratic Presidential candidate Andrew Yang openly criticized the edict when it was first revealed last month, and said that he would take action if Joe Biden were to be elected President. Yang spoke with Wrestling Inc. recently about why he feels that WWE has been able to get away with some of their labor practices.

"A lot of it is that wrestlers are afraid to speak out, and I've had wrestlers past and present reach out to me and say that Vince has been getting away with exploitation of wrestlers calling them independent contractors while controlling their activities for years and years," Yang said. "A lot of it is just that they are a quasi-monopoly, and wrestlers fear that if they do try and unionize or organize in any way that Vince doesn't like, that it will never work again."

We have reached out to WWE and will provide any updates, and will provide updates if we receive any.

I'm sure this will go over well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Alaois posted:

triple h is embarrassing

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BensonRichardE/status/1313122092142022657?s=19

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When's the last time they used Paige on TV? Does Vince even know she's still on the payroll?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/brentbrookhouse/status/1313287490997022729

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We've talked before about how in WWE Black people can only wrestle each other, but this is getting into self-parody levels

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1313292317827227649

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is at least the 3rd time since Miro debuted in AEW where Lana ate the pin and got put through a table

It's incredible how much Vince hates that couple

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Remember when Sasha debuted on the main roster and immediately got paired up with the only other two WOC on the roster for ... reasons?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question, and I apologize for tangentially bringing AEW into the WWE thread:

Given how Vince is punishing Lana for the crime of marrying Miro. And how he punished Miro for the same crime whilst he was still there.

Why isn't he punishing Adam Cole? Coz Britt Baker is very pretty, AND a doctor! So she is clearly out of the league of Adam Cole who is short, and therefore an unperson.

So using Vince's logic he should be angry at Cole for being able to 'score' a hot chick whilst not being tall, or overly muscly.

Vince has no clue Adam Cole exists

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Vandar posted:

It's not being buried so much as it is being punished / being humiliated.

Her husband shows up in AEW and on the next episode of Raw she eats a pin in a tag match and gets put through a table by the most unsafe worker in the company immediately after. You could call that a coincidence, but then it happens again, and then again, and the person putting her through the table isn't even involved with the matches!

We know that Vince is petty as gently caress, and we know that he's always hated Lana and Rusev being together. He's definitely got it out for her, and it's pretty obvious given Vince's history.

If Renee was a wrestler you know drat well Vince would've done the exact same thing to her

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

forkboy84 posted:

It's like that tweet HBK did the other day, praising Damian Priest as a great young talent only he's older than HBK was when he came back from his first retirement. WWE has been in stasis for most of the last 15 years.

See also: treating KUSHIDA like a raw up-and-coming talent who's just starting to put it together.

KUSHIDA is 7 years older than HHH was when he won his first world title.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Seams posted:

one of AEW's smarter choices is not pretending that WWE and AEW are the only wrestling companies that exist

My favorite recent example is when the announcers were putting over Thunder Rosa being NWA champ and Excalibur excitedly blurted in with "she's also a champion in Tokyo Joshi Pro! :haw:"

Turns out your wrestling show is a lot more interesting when you acknowledge what wrestlers accomplish around the whole world instead of your weird forced-universe bubble.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ricochet being a bad talker was known for many years before he got to the fed, it's famously his biggest weakness. Weird coincidence how PWG, NJPW, LU and countless other promotions were able to work around that, focus on his strengths, and get him over as a big star, while WWE throws up its hands and goes "welp we can't do anything with him."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Sasha Banks defeated Bayley (C) by DQ when Bayley attacked Sasha with a chair after less than 5 minutes of a match, meaning Bayley retained the Smackdown Women's Championship. Sasha beat the poo poo out of Bayley with a chair postmatch.

Ah yes the classic "nobody gets over" booking, like a comforting blanket in these troubling times.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

I just realised that Retribution, an invading force we make fun of because of their black outfits and edginess, is not that far removed from the last thing WWE unequivocally got right - The Shield. They even had the in a vacuum terrible nickname "Hounds of Justice" that still worked because they were booked well and so loving good. Remember before Seth Rollins was a bootlicker he was Seth Clone #23421, Jon Moxley was half Mick Foley and half Terry Funk, and Roman Reigns was there too. Retribution was dead on arrival but they didn't have to be.

Big difference here is that the company had a vested interest in grooming Roman as their future ace of the company, and Retribution are all geeks who get treated like the geeks they are.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

Since parting ways with WWE in August 2017, Eva Marie has focussed on acting and appeared in multiple action movies alongside the likes of Bruce Willis and Nicolas Cage.

She recently hinted at a WWE return, though, and told Reel Talker's Jim Alexander that she has "some unfinished business" as a WWE Superstar.

Cultaholic can now exclusively report that Eva Marie is set to return to WWE. Her second debut may also be imminent as a source within the company told us the former Total Divas star could return as soon as tonight's episode of Monday Night Raw.

Translation: "Eva Marie ran out of money"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kevin Steen works way too hard for this company

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I consistently forget that Akira Tozawa is still employed there

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

dromal phrenia posted:

I’m not a fan of WWE or ricochet (anymore) but I’ve always loved this Eddie spot and Ricochet’s sell (well, “sell”) of it is really funny.

*collapses like a Victorian lady onto a fainting couch*

That's ... not even how the Eddy spot works? Eddy tossed the chair to the other guy and then took a bump.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hour 1: 2.006M
Hour 2: 1.884M
Hour 3: 1.676M

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

Johnny Gargano attacked Priest with a chair post-match. William Regal announced that both Gargano and LeRae would get title matches, but Shotzi Blackheart - "host" of the Halloween Havoc show - said the match types would be determined by "Spin the Wheel, Make a Deal".

Ok I know I, nor anyone else, watched WWE but I gotta admit this made me cackle with glee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgT5ta5oWCc

THIS is the right kind of campy nostalgia that AEW does so well but that WWE tends to miss the mark on horribly or pretend never happened. This might be a good sign.

Deep down you know it will be just as cringey and unfunny as everything else WWE does these days

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grendels Dad posted:

I doubt too much of it can be laid at the feet of Wyatt. What is he going to do, say "No I'm not going to have these lovely gimmick matches giving me more airtime than most of the other dudes combined"?

By all accounts Bray has tons of creative freedom and people in the back legitimately think his community theater poo poo is next-level genius so they keep letting it on TV.

So yes, I will absolutely lay this at his feet.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Congratulations to Ben Carter on his early retirement

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ChrisBTY posted:

Maybe I shouldn't be sad but I'm still sorta sad. Do you think he knows he's just getting paid to not wrestle for AEW or did he drink the Kool-Aid and think his WWE career is ever going to amount to anything?

Much like Jake Atlas and Shotzi Blackheart (two other wrestlers people were begging AEW to pick up which was never going to happen), WWE was Ben Carter's dream job all along.

I doubt money factored into it because we all know that regular NXT pays poo poo, and the less popular, less visible UK spinoff can't be any better.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Daniel Bryan returned for an in-ring segment, Brie and Birdie were watching on a Thunderdome screen, and Seth Rollins interrupted. They started arguing, Seth attacked Bryan who got the best of him, then Rey and Dominik Mysterio showed up and Seth begged a laughing Daniel Bryan to help him.
Bryan left, Buddy Murphy ran down seemingly to help Seth but then took down Seth instead, and offered a handshake to Dominik and Rey who refused to take it.

I ... what?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I would buy a car from John Cena

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

TV Zombie posted:

Why would Jake and Shotzi not get signed by AEW?

They already had WWE offers and were essentially working the indies as ringers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's pretty wild how quickly Jericho went from "I promised Vince I will never wrestle on US soil outside his company" (which were the legit terms of his first NJPW deal) to "OK I will wrestle in the US if the money is good enough" to "I'm literally the first champion of a new US promotion in open competition with Vince and boast about beating his ratings every Wednesday, while having the most fun and freedom of my career, also I bring in former WWE guys on my podcast to talk about how lovely they were and how much happier we are now."

You could almost see the scales fall off his eyes in real time. WWE's cult mentality is a very real thing and not just something we joke about.

Benne fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 17, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Edge & Christian posted:

Our boy Otis should be moving into the #6 spot for "longest holding Money in the Bank Briefcase Haver" on Monday, overtaking Sheamus:

Carmella (2017) - 287 days
Edge (2005) - 280 days
Seth Rollins (2014) - 273 days
Dolph Ziggler (2012) - 267 days
Daniel Bryan (2011) - 165 days
Sheamus (2015) - 161 days
Otis (2020) - 159 days
The Miz (2010) - 127 days
Damien Sandow (2013) - 106 days
CM Punk (2008) - 92 days
Rob Van Dam (2006) - 70 days
Braun Strowman (2018) - 70 days
CM Punk (2009) - 63 days
Baron Corbin (2017) - 58 days
Brock Lesnar (2019) - 56 days
Mr. Kennedy (2007) - 36 days
Randy Orton (2013) - 35 days
Alberto del Rio (2011) - 28 days
John Cena (2012) - 8 days
Carmella/James Ellsworth (2017) - 2 days
Jack Swagger (2009) - 2 days
Edge (2007) - 1 day
Asuka (2020) - 1 day
Alexa Bliss (2018) - 3 hours
Bayley (2019) - 1 hour, 25 minutes
Dean Ambrose (2016) - 57 minutes
Kane (2010) - 49 minutes
(all numbers from Wikipedia so apologies if some are wrong, also when it was cashed in on a Smackdown taping I used the taping date not the air date)

If Otis can fend off the Miz's lawyers until February 23, 2021 he will be the reigning and defending Longest Briefcase Haver in the history of our great sport*

* Otis 'won' the briefcase in a pre-taped match that was filmed like a month before it aired, so if that matters he's already in fifth place and would break the record around Rumble time

Becky retconned this year's MITB match to be for the title instead so I'm not even sure if Asuka's run "counts"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It says a lot about the dire state of late-2000s WWE that loving Kennedy became an internet darling on the merits of being "slightly different and unique for the time"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

Also this art has not been removed since its upload 13 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMYd7FBZzQ

Literally nothing in this video is funny

How did people ever tolerate that era of WWE

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Didn't Burchill have to make a hard pitch for the pirate gimmick because Vince never saw POTC and had no clue what he was going for?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Cap_Kaveman/status/1318345571493646336?s=19

When the annoying tryhard couple shows up to ruin your Halloween party

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Meanwhile let's check in on the violent anarchist terrorists

https://twitter.com/joegagne/status/1318347837613158400

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's funny because Alexa already did Harley Quinn cosplay that was way more high-effort than whatever this is supposed to be

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 20, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Elias gimmick was funny one time and they kept doing the one joke for like three years

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1318379692886528002

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Vandar posted:

Asuka vs. Lana is going to end with Nia showing up to put Lana through a table, mark my words.

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't watched RAW in months, I saw roughly 5 minutes tonight, I didn't even realize that "Lana goes through tables each week" wasn't a hyperbolic joke until tonight, and I feel like I can reliably predict that Lana vs Asuka is gonna end with Nia Jax putting Lana through a table.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Weren't the Beautiful People a legit ratings draw at one point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This feels like a broken record since I keep bringing it up, but Moxley said on the Jericho podcast that he felt an obligation to protect the writers, since they were the most expendable and their ideas rarely used (every time he went to them with a problem they'd just shrug and say "yeah, we know"), so he just went straight to Vince to protest and let the chips fall where they may, and either win a battle or have to go "gently caress it, I'll try to make this work" with a bad idea. Somehow, the heel promo on Cancer Roman was a compromise from what they wanted him to say, which was apparently so repulsive he refused to repeat it on the podcast.

He had to fight these battles literally every single day with the WWE creative process, so no wonder he got burned out and almost quit wrestling.

The Retribution geeks don't have nearly the same amount of clout that Moxley and his Shield buddies did, so I'm not surprised they're already at the "gently caress it" stage and just go with whatever.