Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I just read this thread and are Americans asleep?

there were normal vegetables mentioned and discused

like normal people food.

it felt so real

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Eatin dem raw sugar snap peas like potato chips

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

what kind of a dumbass kid didn't like veggies, fuckin loved eatin carrots and bell peppers and celery and all that good poo poo

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I love cabbage raw and thin sliced as a side, or cooked with liver onions and bacon.

I love iceberg lettuce with just balsamic vinegar

I love sweet potato, kumera, just as it is, maybe a little salt.

I love broad beans fresh from the stalk, crack the pod open and go for it.

I love carrots straight from the ground, just brush them off.

I love okra cooked and as slimey as you can get it.

I love caped goseberries and green plums and fejoas and tamarillos

You're not special or cool or given a second chance if you dislike certain foods, you're a small monster, a precious fool, a dainty idiot. Your bad opinion is worth no ones time,

I will sit down with a whole fennel bulb and eat it straight and you will not stop me

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 2, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fishing with the fam posted:

Thick sliced tomatoes with a little salt and pepper make a fantastic snack.

try with a splash of rice vinegar sometime

N. Senada posted:

Every radish I’ve had is too spicy for me to enjoy. What’s my loving problem?

do a quick pickle, fresh pickled radishes are great. slice them up and stick em in a jar with
1 cup vinegar, such as white, apple cider, or rice
1 cup water
1 tablespoon kosher salt, or 2 teaspoons pickling salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional)

and put that in the fridge for 2 days. then eat em on salads or just as a snack. you can re-use the brine a couple times.

I also do that with red peppers, because raw red pepper gives me heartburn if I eat more than a little bit. Which I hate because I really love red pepper on salads etc. A quick pickle is like halfway between raw and cooked.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Have you tried the roast red pepper in a jar? Does that bother you?
It's not fresh but I love big honkin' slabs of that on sandwiches or just straight outta the jar as a snack.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Wizard Master posted:

vitamins and other micronutrients are destroyed by heat
one of these years im gonna look this up and find out if its true

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Big Beef City posted:

It's not fresh but I love big honkin' slabs of that on sandwiches or just straight outta the jar as a snack.

yeah, those are good! though a thing I found about those is that they go bad pretty fast after you open it. So you gotta eat a whole jar in a week or so, which I guess isn't a problem if you eat em as a snack.

also, those are cooked and I like the bite of raw red peppers. quick pickle stays fairly crisp. plus I like the vinegar.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

gary oldmans diary posted:

Its generally minimal (pointless breakdown here) and if you have a sane varied diet it means nothing how you process foods.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 2, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

A Grand Egg posted:

if you have a sane varied diet
:sweatdrop:

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
If you have to pickle or ferment a vegetable, it should no longer be considered "raw".

Also green potatoes are historically a source of poisonous alkaloids, but must commercially available cultivars do not. So please feel free to eat a raw green potato from the market, but not one you dug up in the Andes.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Just buy the $3 bag of Stir Fry Salad mix veg at Coles once a week and eat it. Stops Protein poisoning "rabbit starvation" at least.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 2, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gary oldmans diary posted:

it's true but not like 100% universal.

some of them, like vitamin C, are almost totally destroyed by sustained heat.

at one point in history people discovered that lemons and limes cured scurvy. then that knowledge got lost because the british navy was using barrels of juice that were processed by cooking, and everybody got scurvy again. so they were like, welp that proves lemons and limes weren't the cure, we can stop sending out these juice barrels. so a hundred years after we discovered the cure for scruvy and got it under control, people were dying of it again.

other vitamins often get reduced by cooking, but cooking also increases the amount of nutrients your gut can adsorb from food so it may be a wash. and if you're cooking veggies more lightly, like stir-fry or something rather than cooking them to death, there will be plenty left.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Klyith posted:

it's true but not like 100% universal.

some of them, like vitamin C, are almost totally destroyed by sustained heat.

at one point in history people discovered that lemons and limes cured scurvy. then that knowledge got lost because the british navy was using barrels of juice that were processed by cooking, and everybody got scurvy again. so they were like, welp that proves lemons and limes weren't the cure, we can stop sending out these juice barrels. so a hundred years after we discovered the cure for scruvy and got it under control, people were dying of it again.

other vitamins often get reduced by cooking, but cooking also increases the amount of nutrients your gut can adsorb from food so it may be a wash. and if you're cooking veggies more lightly, like stir-fry or something rather than cooking them to death, there will be plenty left.

I googled this as well but made it shorter

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think there was some quirk as well about the copper in their pipes destroying the vitamin c or something

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

i think there was some quirk as well about the copper in their pipes destroying the vitamin c or something

poo poo you're right, it was copper

A Grand Egg posted:

I googled this as well but made it shorter

you should read a book sometime, it's like google but longer and more interesting

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

cult_hero posted:

If you have to pickle or ferment a vegetable, it should no longer be considered "raw".

I don't think anyone's making that argument

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i was thinking of some raw vegetables good for snacking besides carrots broccoli and cauliflower. i came up with nothing and disqualified celery for being too stringy but i did get a hankerin for some cooked brussel sprouts and i think i could snack on those as much as i wanted

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

beer is vegetarian im pretty sure

feller
Jul 5, 2006

celery with some peanut butter was my favorite snack as a kid. I hadn’t thought of it in ages til now so thanks op

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
check your grocerys healthfood areas for sugar-free peanut butter because not only is it better for you the peanut taste is stronger and more delicious. found sugar-free peanut butter blended with coconut oil and that was good too
and theres a fair chance of it being discounted for sitting on the shelf so long

at the college cafetaria there was a peanut grinder for this but it was a little gritty

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I love the peanut butter machine

loving can’t wait to go back inside a store and shove nuts into that grinder

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

N. Senada posted:

I love the peanut butter machine

loving can’t wait to go back inside a store and shove nuts into that grinder

Thread is gettin' kind of hot...

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I love vegetables thank God and the one that you don't hear about a lot that is so good is jicama oh my God it's so good and it's some kind of weird superfood too so I eat that raw if I ever can get it

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Piss Meridian posted:

I've eaten a few bell peppers as hand fruit

I didn’t know Takeshita Kaga posted here!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Vegetables just get in the way of the meat.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I developed an allergy to birch pollen when I reached my 30s and it's hosed with my ability to eat all fruits and vegetables raw without getting an itchy mouth and throat. What I can eat raw changes throughout the year so it's always a surprise. Sometimes a banana is fine, sometimes it isn't, sometimes it's fine as long as none of it touches my lips. My latest allergy is to raw sugar snap peas, which is a loving travesty. Vinegar helps to stop reactions from happening, so using salad dressing makes it possible to eat raw carrots. Speaking of carrots, the itch only starts after I stop eating, so I can plow through an entire bag of baby carrots before having a reaction. I'm not at risk for anaphylaxis so sometimes I just power though because raw fruits and veggies are amazing.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Why is eating raw bell peppers considered strange or weird or even gross? I eat them and they taste lovely and cucumbery. They go well with rice too.

Is this a genetics thing like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Raw vegetables are amazing. I love vegetables. When I was a kid, I'd legitimately look forward to things like eating the first raw asparagus of spring and twee white lady bullshit like that.

Best way to veg is a calçotada.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Why is eating raw bell peppers considered strange or weird or even gross?

Those people suck and are wrong. Protip: they are great with hummus.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m having trouble thinking of a vegetable other than the obvious roots that I can’t eat raw or barely cooked.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

My old boss back at my first job used to walk around with a raw carrot like Bugs Bunny. He would hold it like a big cigar and chop it sometimes. When asked about it he would always say that Arnold Schwarzenegger said in an interview that eating a lot of carrots gives you a toned core but looking at him I don’t think it works

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Torquemada posted:

I’m having trouble thinking of a vegetable other than the obvious roots that I can’t eat raw or barely cooked.

Eggplants and Zucchini (at least the variety around me) taste bitter unless cooked.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've never heard of vegetables being described as raw before.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
*me eating a bowl of m&ms for breakfast*

hmm yes, very true op

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Big Beef City posted:

A jar of this and some chicken in a crock pot makes a quick and easy meal. Maybe put it over rice or maybe not, the choice is yours

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

hemale in pain posted:

I've never heard of vegetables being described as raw before.

They're mega-horny and ready to gently caress; how would you say it? :colbert:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I always connected raw with stuff which is dangerous to eat uncooked like meat or eggs. I guess maybe for an onion or potato it be fitting as they'd suck to eat uncooked.

Don't people eat most of their vegetables uncooked anyway? Salads are good and carrots, celery and cucumbers are a great excuse to eat a poo poo ton of dip like hummus.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 5, 2020

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

hemale in pain posted:

I always connected raw with stuff which is dangerous to eat uncooked like meat or eggs. I guess maybe for an onion or potato it be fitting as they'd suck to eat uncooked.

Raw onion is delicious

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

500excf type r posted:

Raw onion is delicious

True, Red onion is good in a salad. For some reason I had a picture in my brain of someone biting in to one like an apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

numberoneposter posted:

beer is vegetarian im pretty sure

Depends on the beer, some use isinglass as a clarifying agent and that comes from fish.