Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Majorian posted:

This is all so weird and I'm loving it.

On the other hand, can he just go disappear somewhere and take his loving stupid circus with him? I'm sick of this reality TV bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Amniotic posted:

The backlash to helicopter parenting is free range parenting and those kids are just as hard to deal with as a teacher.

Free-range parenting seems like it also follows from a neurotic obsession with creating the right conditions for the children to succeed, complete with hostility toward anyone the parent sees as infringing on the child’s success (by helping other children, for example).

I feel like the next generation of parents might relax in that neuroticism as they move away from believing that they have it in their power to force their children to succeed by controlling their circumstances, as success goes from difficult to impossible.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Free-range parenting seems like it also follows from a neurotic obsession with creating the right conditions for the children to succeed, complete with hostility toward anyone the parent sees as infringing on the child’s success (by helping other children, for example).

I mean, this sounds just like helicopter-parenting as well? I don’t see the distinction

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Majin posted:

I mean, this sounds just like helicopter-parenting as well? I don’t see the distinction

Yeah, I think they’re variations of the same pathology.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Smeef posted:

Pretty much anywhere in Asia. You don’t need to speak the local language. You could either teach English, though avoid scammy language centers, or you could teach at an English-language school. International schools pay a lot, but you’re more likely to have to deal with incredibly self-entitled expats

Regardless of the school, people will treat teachers a helluva lot better. When I was living in rural Vietnam, there was an annual “teachers day”. Both current and past students traveled to their teachers’ homes to give their thanks. Some of these teachers were living in makeshift homes and probably making less than $100 a month, but they were still treated more like priests or doctors.

As a person who still teaches in Taiwan, at an international school, I sure don't feel respected

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Majin posted:

There's no distinction in that ultimately both just mean controlling every aspect of the child's life in order to ensure their success, but there's a large distinction in method of doing that, because one involves strict discipline and control of every element of the child's environment and social sphere, while the other involves a borderline discipline-free libertine approach coupled with aggressive violence against anything threatening that might enter into that control-free child zone before they ever know its there.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

Back to the fun stuff:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1360420692794232832

I wonder if this is in regards to "how dare the democrats not provide ten minutes of context to every quote?! Now here's rapid fire no context from dems and random people with war drums."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

GoutPatrol posted:

As a person who still teaches in Taiwan, at an international school, I sure don't feel respected

Taipei American?

"International School" might be a big part of that, but I'm curious what you've been experiencing. My family was very much a "the teacher is always right and you're an idiot for questioning him/her!" family.

Or there might be a whole cluster of ambitious parents who want to send their kids to prestigious American universities and I can see how that would basically create Asian Karens.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

I wonder if this is in regards to "how dare the democrats not provide ten minutes of context to every quote?! Now here's rapid fire no context from dems and random people with war drums."

Was that the one who took today off? I haven’t been following this as closely as I probably should.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I feel like the next generation of parents might relax in that neuroticism as they move away from believing that they have it in their power to force their children to succeed by controlling their circumstances, as success goes from difficult to impossible.

I hope you're right because my fear is that making success more difficult will just make parents become more cutthroat and hands-on.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

has biden said anything about stopping the practice?

i honestly dont care if trump was the person to come up with it, if biden does nothing to stop it from being enacted he shares just as much of the blame
The Biden administration hasn't even had a chance to fill their cabinet and there are a million different fires burning across the country ranging from a deadly pandemic killing thousands of Americans every single day to malignant Trump holdovers attempting to rip apart various crucial agencies that millions of people depend on. While the issue is important, I don't think there's a great awareness of it to begin with and baying for Biden's blood as if he is maliciously out to harm prisoners is far from productive. Until Biden makes a statement on it, I'm personally not going to have much in the way of animosity for him considering the current ongoing chaos isn't a very conducive environment to honing in on fixing dire gently caress-up #86378 of the Trump administration ahead of the all the ones which are actively killing or threatening the livelihood of countless Americans.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ElrondHubbard posted:

The Biden administration hasn't even had a chance to fill their cabinet and there are a million different fires burning across the country ranging from a deadly pandemic killing thousands of Americans every single day to malignant Trump holdovers attempting to rip apart various crucial agencies that millions of people depend on. While the issue is important, I don't think there's a great awareness of it to begin with and baying for Biden's blood as if he is maliciously out to harm prisoners is far from productive. Until Biden makes a statement on it, I'm personally not going to have much in the way of animosity for him considering the current ongoing chaos isn't a very conducive environment to honing in on fixing dire gently caress-up #86378 of the Trump administration ahead of the all the ones which are actively killing or threatening the livelihood of countless Americans.

He created the present situation by writing the ‘94 crime bill. He has a history when it comes to jailing people and violating their human rights.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Majorian posted:

Back to the fun stuff:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1360420692794232832

Out of curiosity is anyone working to get at least 25 Republicans to just not show up for the vote? I'd be fine with framing it as "protesting the process" or whatever as long as they stay out of the chamber that day. Let the edge cases of the Cruz types who are riding this poo poo into the ground and the handful of Romney(maybe) types who will vote to convict show up. Meanwhile everyone else can hide in their office and not have to vote for or against the Orange Man.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is lincoln project finally imploding? I'm seeing some stuff on twitter but not sure what's going on.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Is lincoln project finally imploding? I'm seeing some stuff on twitter but not sure what's going on.

co-founder and allegedly the one herding the cats resigned. I don't remember if he's also the one who was trying to groom underage boys.

Edit: Oop, my bad, the pedophile was the OTHER co-founder, John Weaver.

From Forbes:

quote:

[In a resignation letter posted to Twitter, Schmidt said he did not know until last month about the dozens of young men who have reported receiving sexually charged messages online from Weaver (at least one of whom was under 18 at the time) , and called him a “liar and a predator.”

Schmidt said he doesn’t run the Lincoln Project’s day-to-day operations, but he described himself as the group’s “senior leader” and said he should be held accountable, which is why he chose to step down from the group’s board.

Schmidt revealed in his resignation letter that he was sexually abused by a camp counselor when he was 13 years old, an experience he said fueled a decades-long struggle with depression and that amplified his anger about the allegations against Weaver.

The Lincoln Project did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 13, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

EngineerJoe posted:

Oracle posted:

co-founder and allegedly the one herding the cats resigned. I don't remember if he's also the one who was trying to groom underage boys.

Steve Schmidt (John McCain's dullard campaign manager who was still smart enough to see how bad of an idea Palin was) stepped down today. I haven't gotten any reasons why, but John Weaver was the one trying to pick up kids. I think Schmidt can just see that that particular phase of the "reasonable Republican" grift is over.

e: \/\/\/ah, there you go.\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 13, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Other drama includes a cofounder resigning, LP saying she wanted to stick them up for her silence first, and then someone posting screenshots of her DMs (from her own account) on the Lincoln Project twitter account, which is a massive violation of federal law.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eric Cantonese posted:

Taipei American?

"International School" might be a big part of that, but I'm curious what you've been experiencing. My family was very much a "the teacher is always right and you're an idiot for questioning him/her!" family.

Or there might be a whole cluster of ambitious parents who want to send their kids to prestigious American universities and I can see how that would basically create Asian Karens.

I'd rather not doxx myself further but you don't have pms, but no.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

He created the present situation by writing the ‘94 crime bill. He has a history when it comes to jailing people and violating their human rights.
He has also come out against said bill and said voting for it back in '94 was a mistake, so I don't really see the relevance of why that makes this one topic the reason we should all turn against him while he's been pretty consistently doing a good job for the last three weeks attempting to reign in all the ongoing issues despite active opposition from Republicans. Why not wait for the issue to be addressed one way or another before we start declaring we know the guy's rotten soul from a vote supported by the vast majority of all politicians over 2 decades ago and condemning him for not instantly fixing one specific issue out of thousands that are currently impacting everyone right now? The US government is notoriously slow and guided by inertia, so it's a little baffling when there's genuine surprise at an issue no-one here was aware of prior to now not having already been fixed by our omniscient god-king Joe Biden.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

I can't find the article on sterilizing immunity from the vaccine trials, so maybe I misremembered or misinterpreted something.

I think you're referring to the Israeli study, which isn't peer reviewed yet and was limited but kind of maybe promising.

The BBC posted:

There isn't yet any conclusive evidence that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine can prevent people from being infected with the coronavirus – and therefore halt its spread. But there are some early signs that it might.

In early January, the chief executive of Pfizer, Albert Bourla, said animal studies found that it provided significant protection from transferring the virus, though this hasn’t been proven in humans.

Then a small Israeli survey found that, out of 102 medical staff who had received two doses of the vaccine, only two had developed "low" amounts of antibodies. The other 98% had more antibodies than people who had been infected with Covid-19. The results were released via a press release, which quotes the head of the study speculating that these powerful immune responses were likely to prevent people from becoming carriers or spreading the disease.

However, there are a number of reasons to be cautious about interpreting these results, such as the small sample size and the fact that the research was not published in a peer-reviewed journal.

More recently, the Israeli Ministry of Health (MoH) looked at the health records of a million people in the country, and found that – a week after being fully vaccinated – just 317 people out of 715,425 tested positive for the coronavirus.

Again, this was not a clinical trial – there was no unvaccinated control group, and the effect could be down to something else, such as the impact of a lockdown imposed in December. But the infection rate was considerably lower than elsewhere (0.04%, while it's estimated that 1.87% of people in England had the virus in the week ending 23 January).

A study by the nation’s domestic healthcare provider – Maccabi Healthcare Services – found similarly encouraging results. Out of 163,000 people given a full course of the vaccine, just 31 were infected, compared to 6,500 infections in an equivalent group of unvaccinated people.
There's another Israeli study out that says reinfection is incredibly rare even without detectable antibodies in those recovered but is probably already moot because I'm betting they weren't dealing with any new strains at the time of study.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess if you accuse everyone of being a pedophile for a long enough period of time, you’ll get one right eventually. I wouldn’t really mind if the q maniacs went after the Lincoln Project people.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agents are GO! posted:

Would you say he was Biden his time? :dadjoke:
A day late but-- boo! Hiss!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ElrondHubbard posted:

He has also come out against said bill and said voting for it back in '94 was a mistake, so I don't really see the relevance of why that makes this one topic the reason we should all turn against him while he's been pretty consistently doing a good job for the last three weeks attempting to reign in all the ongoing issues despite active opposition from Republicans. Why not wait for the issue to be addressed one way or another before we start declaring we know the guy's rotten soul from a vote supported by the vast majority of all politicians over 2 decades ago and condemning him for not instantly fixing one specific issue out of thousands that are currently impacting everyone right now? The US government is notoriously slow and guided by inertia, so it's a little baffling when there's genuine surprise at an issue no-one here was aware of prior to now not having already been fixed by our omniscient god-king Joe Biden.

i think my wariness in this regard comes from the fact that prisoners are basically an acceptable group to brutalize in american politics. No one ever gives a drat about prisoner rights for rather obvious reasons, and im not gonna assume biden is suddenly gonna reverse that trend without an extremely strong incentive to do so

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

i think my wariness in this regard comes from the fact that prisoners are basically an acceptable group to brutalize in american politics. No one ever gives a drat about prisoner rights for rather obvious reasons, and im not gonna assume biden is suddenly gonna reverse that trend without an extremely strong incentive to do so

sure but in this specific situation you don’t even seem to have the basic facts correct, which suggests you just saw a hot take on Twitter and decided to slam it into the thread - something you seem to do every other day

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

I can't find the article on sterilizing immunity from the vaccine trials, so maybe I misremembered or misinterpreted something.

Moderna did PCR testing prior to administering the second dose and the vaccine arm had roughly 1/3 the cases of the control arm. The total number of cases is pretty tiny, though, and if vaccination also reduces the length of active infection this might be overestimating the difference in number of active infections that occur (since shorter infections are less likely to active at the time the test sample is taken).

I could have sworn that one of the phase III trials looked at antibody results for an antibody that wasn't targeted by the vaccine, but I can't seem to find it. That would give a better sense of the total number of infections over a given time period.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 13, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I don't have an issue with people being skeptical that the Democrats or Biden are going to do good things, that's why people should be calling their congresscritters, writing letters, joining protests, donating to activist groups and lobbying organizations and generally pushing every chance they get while power is in the hands of people that both can and actually might take action.

But a lot of the time on this forum people don't seem to be posting things like this with an eye toward educating the forum population on the issue or drawing attention to things in the hopes of doing something about them. Rather the motivation seems to be to achieve emotional vindication vis a vis negative opinions on the Democratic party or Joe Biden's ability to function as a vehicle for positive change, if not just strait up attempts to gotcha certain posters for being vocally Pro-Biden or at least optimistic about the Democrat's current direction. That bothers me.

I come to this thread despite my frequent frustration with it specifically to stay educated on issues exactly like that one. I had no idea that Trump had set up a pilot program to take away Prisoners access to physical mail services, that's loving deplorable, and the Biden administration should stop it. But if I were some rando who only read your post and not the followups and argument that came afterward I'd think that Biden's administration was the one pushing this policy, get upset that the Democrats are spearheading yet another prison privatization policy that fucks over poor, vulnerable people of color, and probably just check out of the thread for the day because of American Politics seeming like a hopeless pit of despair as usual. That doesn't help anybody.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GoutPatrol posted:

My sister and brother-in-law have been working at international schools for almost 20 years. Outside of Bangkok it seems Hong Kong and Taipei seem to some of the more desirable destinations. Do you think that might be part of it?

If this is a bit too close to doxxing, please ignore. It’s always been interesting to me how varied the student bodies are from region to region. In Seoul my sister’s students were mostly foreign born Korean nationals, in Abu Dhabi it was kids who’s parents worked in oil (and Erik Prince’s kids) and Delhi was mostly NGOs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Looking forward to the health crisis twenty to thirty years down the road when all of the kids getting pushed into schools start seeing serious health effects from the asymptomatic COVID they never knew they had. Hey, maybe we'll at least have functional UHC by then (lol)
Yeah but their parents got free babysitting for a month so in the end isn't it all worth it

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Looking forward to the health crisis twenty to thirty years down the road when all of the kids getting pushed into schools start seeing serious health effects from the asymptomatic COVID they never knew they had. Hey, maybe we'll at least have functional UHC by then (lol)
How do you see this happening via a mechanism that couldn't also be triggered by the vaccine?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I wonder...
Is there any sort of study on the correlation between people who constantly poo poo on teachers and whether or not those people were absolute poo poo students?
I mean legitimately terrible, like constantly skipped class or didn't pay attention or perhaps actually had lovely teachers, not people who had legitimate learning issues but were still making an attempt to do the work.

I mean, I could see the sort of people who are all "gently caress teachers, they don't need to be paid worth a drat" also being the type of kids who figured they didn't need to waste their time in class since they were just going to join the military or work at their dad's car dealership anyways.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Biden's proposed policies with respect to criminal justice reform are available here:

https://joebiden.com/justice/

While obviously there's room to be skeptical about how much of this is likely to be implemented, to me it looks comprehensive and overwhelmingly positive. I suggest you read through it and address a) what aspect of those proposals you specifically find to be negative or insufficiently sweeping, or b) what of importance you feel might have been left out. "I'm scared that Biden doesn't care about prisoner rights" is not a topic for debate and discussion, and I'm not sure what you expect anyone here to tell you if you're not addressing anything concrete.

With respect to the issue of physical mail specifically, neither Biden nor anyone on his team appears to have addressed it directly so far (at least that I can find), but it's an extremely specific issue and I'm sure you're right that - for that reason - that Biden has never given a second's thought to it in the 3 weeks he's been president. However, he explicitly supports making prisoner communication easier and more affordable in other ways, so reading between the lines I find it difficult to believe that he would be in favour of restricting physical mail specifically. For instance, he supports passing this legislation which would "ensure just and reasonable charges for inmate telephone and advanced communications services", and says he will "make eliminating private prisons and all other methods of profiteering off of incarceration... a requirement for his new state and local prevention grant program", linking to this document which references unjust restrictions on prisoner communications, including physical mail (pp. 34-35). Again, there's always the danger of a gap between word and deed when it comes to politicians, but apart from that diffuse sense of mistrust there doesn't seem to be anything to suggest that conditions for prisoners will do anything but improve under the Biden administration.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Majin posted:

It's seeing the problems with controlling your child like a puppet and concluding the problem was the world was not controlled enough.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the_steve posted:

I mean, I could see the sort of people who are all "gently caress teachers, they don't need to be paid worth a drat" also being the type of kids who figured they didn't need to waste their time in class since they were just going to join the military or work at their dad's car dealership anyways.

Close but I think this is closer

the_steve posted:

I mean, I could see the sort of people who are all "gently caress teachers, they don't need to be paid worth a drat" also being the type of kids who figured they didn't need to waste their time in class since they were just going to inherit billions and spend a fraction of that propagandizing for the destruction of public sector unions to ensure their own profitability

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well like in any profession there are great teachers and there are awful ones. Sadly it is a profession that you get a lot of people in because of reasons unconnected to actually being passionate about learning and education. There are legitimately fantastic educators out there that work tirelessly to do more with what little they have. There are also a lot out there that are in it, at least in the K-12 level, for the steady, safe pay, summers off and little accountability. My S/O is a educator and I can attest that that they work for too hard for far too little. On the college level it is an absolute mess as the entire teaching staff is effectively adjuncts. They have no job security, little pay and no benefits. You have professors who have masters or phds to teach these classes making effectively less than minimum wage in many cases. Yet the universities are making more than ever and saving a bundle by having almost no full time faculty. Fun thing, most universities have more full time staff to handle IT and accounting than teaching.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

highme posted:

My sister and brother-in-law have been working at international schools for almost 20 years. Outside of Bangkok it seems Hong Kong and Taipei seem to some of the more desirable destinations. Do you think that might be part of it?

If this is a bit too close to doxxing, please ignore. It’s always been interesting to me how varied the student bodies are from region to region. In Seoul my sister’s students were mostly foreign born Korean nationals, in Abu Dhabi it was kids who’s parents worked in oil (and Erik Prince’s kids) and Delhi was mostly NGOs.

For "international schools" you kinda have three types: stupid expensive ones for kids of business types, kids filled with locals that get exemptions from teaching the regular curriculum (the kids who are paying full price at American universities), and the incredibly religious.

I have had several coworkers who had their time in UAE and Qatar. And they all said, every single one, they wouldn't go back to work in the ME. Same for China as well, but the money was good enough for people to go back in some cases.

I don't have that much experience at many places because I've been settled for a while, just secondhand stories from people who do the circuits.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Djarum posted:

summers off

I’m interested in where this is actually the case? Where I am currently living this is an often repeated myth, that teaches get the summer off somehow. Turns out that they actually have the same amount of vacation times as everyone else, they’re just forced to put it during the summer, rather than having choice as to when they want vacation time. If they have more, it’s not actually vacation, it’s because they don’t get paid for the summer. Essentially being fired for two months every year and having to find other jobs to make ends meet. They do different types of work during the summer, (summer school teaching, admin and reading/preparation for classes and exams next year - which almost always changes from year to year). That is, they have the summers off, in the same way a UPS driver has the ‘day off’ when they are driving between delivery destinations.

I agree that there are also terrible and awful teachers though, I had several growing up, and since the many of the systems around teaching careers actively sorts out teachers who are legitimately engaged with teaching and are invested in their students - it’s probably an increasing number.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I’m interested in where this is actually the case? Where I am currently living this is an often repeated myth, that teaches get the summer off somehow. Turns out that they actually have the same amount of vacation times as everyone else, they’re just forced to put it during the summer, rather than having choice as to when they want vacation time. If they have more, it’s not actually vacation, it’s because they don’t get paid for the summer. Essentially being fired for two months every year and having to find other jobs to make ends meet. They do different types of work during the summer, (summer school teaching, admin and reading/preparation for classes and exams next year - which almost always changes from year to year). That is, they have the summers off, in the same way a UPS driver has the ‘day off’ when they are driving between delivery destinations.

I agree that there are also terrible and awful teachers though, I had several growing up, and since the many of the systems around teaching careers actively sorts out teachers who are legitimately engaged with teaching and are invested in their students - it’s probably an increasing number.

Well most K-12 teachers are still getting paid through the summer since they take a 52 week paycheck. Some schools/systems do a 48/42 week but it is very rare since the early 90s really.

Having summers off tends to attract those who are looking to have kids since they can have off the summers with them. I have several people that I went to college with that went into education for this purpose. A perfect example of this is a friend’s wife got hired on at a school system after being a temp for a couple of years, gets pregnant within weeks of this, gives birth halfway through the school year and takes almost a year for maternity leave. She comes back and gets pregnant soon after and you rinse and repeat again. She has three kids and a decade of seniority which means added pay/benefits/protections but has maybe worked 3 years for the school. Not saying she is a good or bad teacher since I have no idea. But education is one of the few occupations where that sort of behavior is not only possible but expected/tolerated.

As someone who has a lot of first hand experience with both K-12 and college level educators there is little prep for the next year during the summer. You might take a week or two out from the start of the year to make a lesson plan, syllabus but for the most part unless you are brand new to a course/subject there isn’t a lot of work to be done. When school is in session it is particularly time demanding since especially in K-12 you are in school 8-10 hours and then doing grading, etc in your off school hours. On the college level this is worse because depending on the subject you can be doing days of reading papers for no pay effectively. Adjuncts get hit particularly hard. Imagine having a job that pays you like you are part time but requires you to work full time hours?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Smeef posted:

Pretty much anywhere in Asia. You don’t need to speak the local language. You could either teach English, though avoid scammy language centers, or you could teach at an English-language school. International schools pay a lot, but you’re more likely to have to deal with incredibly self-entitled expats

Regardless of the school, people will treat teachers a helluva lot better. When I was living in rural Vietnam, there was an annual “teachers day”. Both current and past students traveled to their teachers’ homes to give their thanks. Some of these teachers were living in makeshift homes and probably making less than $100 a month, but they were still treated more like priests or doctors.

I've just been doing private zoom lessons here in Istanbul, I've been trying to avoid dealing with any expats because they are, largely, horrible obnoxious garbage. It's alright but I might break down here and get a real teaching job because of some financial hiccups, in the form of having to smuggle FIP medication from bulgaria at 125 dollars a bottle.

e: As for respect, teachers here are treated like gods by their students. They actually call me Hojam :3:
The government....not so much.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 13, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Smeef posted:

To be fair, in a rural area the teacher is literally the person who can get your child away from the awful lovely place where you live in. My parents' generation also brought gifts to the teachers because their parents' generation were miners, stay-at-home moms' and substinence dirt farmers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

Don't make white-noise posts like this please. If you think A big flaming stink's argument is stupid, explain why.

These aren't remotely "white noise posts"

"Biden's only been in office three weeks" and "Biden doesn't have dictatorial powers" are both the direct, primary reasons stink's argument is stupid.