Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

GlyphGryph posted:

Crimea was the only part of Ukraine Russia actually wanted, which is why its where they stopped - ironically for its access to a different type of water. It definitely seems like they would rather not go through the effort of annexing the rest of the country.

What? No. Russia also invaded Eastern Ukraine; and actually sent regular forces to bolster the separatists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Crimea was the only part of Ukraine Russia actually wanted, which is why its where they stopped - ironically for its access to a different type of water. It definitely seems like they would rather not go through the effort of annexing the rest of the country.

They put in enough effort to shoot down an airliner over eastern Ukraine

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

....uhhhhh, what? You realize Russia helped stand up the Militias trying to break off chunks of Ukraine, right?

This is a really bad hot take that legitimizes some troublesome actions by Russia. They provided arms and armor and shot down an airliner.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Agreed, but Iowa isn't the only Midwest/Old Northwest state with bizarre fair food that politicians would have to eat. If Michigan was the first primary we might be able to make presidential candidates drink Faygo on national TV.

And eat pasties!

Or hell make Illinois one of the first. Make those East Coast stuffed shirts eat deep dish and chicago dogs and pork chop sandwiches. Whoever survives the ensuing heart attack wins.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can I put in a vote for Michigan? We have Superman Ice Cream. Anyone that hasn't pooped bright green at least once in their life isn't fit for public office.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So wait the voices of black people in South Carolina shouldn't matter? Is that what you're saying? :psyduck:

Lol imagine thinking this passes for discourse.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Strangely enough the primaries are like the sole political thing I envy Americans for - I wish I could vote for my party leadership. Weird order though.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

DarkCrawler posted:

Strangely enough the primaries are like the sole political thing I envy Americans for - I wish I could vote for my party leadership. Weird order though.

our primary system is extremely stupid actually

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1377750680136519681

The flood.....gates are open

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Tibalt posted:

Endless refusal to cooperate even on popular bipartisan proposals increases the chances that the filibusters reformed

Refusal to cooperate is also making it easier for Dems to survive 2022. They are making it very easy for voters to know that basically everything positive that was passed was purely from the Democrats.

They would honestly be better off if the 10-20% of their caucus, who would represent purple districts/states, voted in favor of the COVID relief bill, and infrastructure plan, so they could muddy the waters and try to claim credit. Most people won't know which republicans supported the bills, but when you make it easy by having 0 of your members support any of the popular proposals, you are just shooting yourself in the foot. They could even water down the bills to make them less popular by negotiating with some seriousness and a promise of votes on the final passage of the bill. Not the garbage they pulled on the COVID bill, where Biden laughed them out of the room, but actually get just barely in the ballpark of what Manchin would accept.

If I were a Democrat up for re-election in 2022, having 100% of the GOP refuse to consider anything popular, while you get to claim full credit for the stimulus and infrastructure is the dream scenario.

And that doesn't even take into account how this makes it 100x easier to kill the filibuster after the umpteenth 100% GOP no vote on a broadly popular thing. They need to make it look like they are somewhat on board with reasonable stuff, so killing the filibuster will appear to be a very extreme, radical leftist thing to do.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vasukhani posted:

Yeah, it would have been better from Russia's perspective, then again, the US's words are kinda meaningless here, everyone knows they aren't going to fight Russia over Ukraine, all it does is maybe convince Ukraine it has more friends than it actually does.

Russia doesn't actually want to attack Ukraine (more than it already has) it's far too costly, it's the water issue which is probably forcing it to now.

Yo this is pretty much the "she was asking for it" excuse applied to international relations.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 2, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I... think I may have met this woman in 2015? I was in DC and there was a woman performing hula hoop in the subway, she told me about her commune, gave me a contact card and told me I should visit the commune and how awesome it is. She was definitely Gaetz' type.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 1, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

How are u posted:

Pardon? Are you saying that the fact that Putin "actually wanted" Crimea somehow makes the invasion and annexation justifiable in some way? I'm pretty sure Ukrainians "actually wanted" to keep Crimea, a piece of their nation.

You are very much misunderstanding what I was intending to communicate there if this was your takeaway, so I apologize for communicating poorly. Nothing about the invasion or annexation was justifiable, and I'm... not exactly sure what about what I said implied that it was. Just that Crimea and its ports seems to have have been the major strategic objective and that they were always going to be willing to pay a much higher price to take and keep that piece than they were willing to pay to take the rest of the country.

Maybe my reading of the situation is completely wrong, but it definitely wasnt an attempt to say what they did was in any way okay.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is a man who watched too much Austin Powers and thought that was how one does sex.

the CNN article in the quoted tweet posted:

House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy said Wednesday there were "serious implications" involving the DOJ allegations, adding that he would remove Gaetz from the Judiciary Committee if they were proven true.

"I haven't heard anything from the DOJ or others, but I will deal with it if anything comes to be true" McCarthy said in response to a question from CNN at a town hall event in Iowa.

Actually this sounds more to me like Kevin McCarthy will find a way to shift blame onto Democrats/Women/Investigators rather than dare remove Gaetz from the Judiciary Committee seeing as how he was too much of a wuss to expel or strip the committee assignments of Marjore Taylor Greene.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 1, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, I think the Republicans are banking on the Democrats to once again roll over and take whatever bullshit the Republicans feel like giving them so that they can point and say "Look! Dems didn't get poo poo done!" like they did under Obama.

Except it seems like that may not actually work this time, assuming the Dems follow through on actually fighting back like they keep indicating.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Angry_Ed posted:

This is a man who watched too much Austin Powers and thought that was how one does sex.

First the big boat does its best impression of the cart stuck in a hallway joke, now this. Is 2021 trying to tell us something?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yo this is pretty much the "she was asking for it" excuse applied to international relations.

uhh how? saying you're going to support a country changes its strategic calculus? This is evident??? My point is that American support is half-assed when it comes.

also "forced to" as in Russia never wanted to actual go and sack Kyiv, doing that is a failure of its strategy which is designed to maximize benefits and minimize costs.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lol imagine thinking this passes for discourse.

My post was in all honesty a bit harsh.
However your post was really dismissive of red states and the people who live in them. Their voices and votes matter.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vasukhani posted:

uhh how? saying you're going to support a country changes its strategic calculus? This is evident??? My point is that American support is half-assed when it comes.

also "forced to" as in Russia never wanted to actual go and sack Kyiv, doing that is a failure of its strategy which is designed to maximize benefits and minimize costs.

The strategy of invading other countries and cutting up their land for their own ends.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah, he is loving done. the dude made himself as disliked as ted cruz but actually disposable to the GOP. i can see once the poo poo comes out, him being impeached and thrown out of the house.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Angry_Ed posted:

The strategy of invading other countries and cutting up their land for their own ends.

Yes? Do you think because hitler was bad he didn't have strategic goals?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

GlyphGryph posted:

You are very much misunderstanding what I was intending to communicate there if this was your takeaway, so I apologize for communicating poorly. Nothing about the invasion or annexation was justifiable, and I'm... not exactly sure what about what I said implied that it was. Just that Crimea and its ports seems to have have been the major strategic objective and that they were always going to be willing to pay a much higher price to take and keep that piece than they were willing to pay to take the rest of the country.

Maybe my reading of the situation is completely wrong, but it definitely wasnt an attempt to say what they did was in any way okay.

In case you missed it, but at least two people pointed out that Russia also invaded Eastern Ukraine; they were eventually checked because continuing the invasion indeed did result in a price they weren't willing to pay but if Ukraine didn't manage to stop the bleeding and checking some of the Russian mechanized columns then Russia might have been able to take half a Ukraine or more, or possibly toppled the government entirely. It isn't that Russia decided "Nope not touching that", they did in fact touch the hot part of the stove and burnt their hand.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, he is loving done. the dude made himself as disliked as ted cruz but actually disposable to the GOP. i can see once the poo poo comes out, him being impeached and thrown out of the house.

Countdown until the narrative switches to calling him an antifa deep agent.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
The use of proxy forces in Eastern Ukraine actually supports the idea that Putin never wanted to invade Ukraine directly outside of Crimea, and he is being forced to do so in order to salvage a foreign policy goal. It's no more normative than saying an army was forced to retreat

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

However your post was really dismissive of red states and the people who live in them. Their voices and votes matter.

The way the primaries are structured is fundamentally unfair. I live in Oklahoma and my vote is completely meaningless in both the primary and the general. My state is red. It will never go to a blue nominee. It's not "abandoning democracy" to acknowledge that if states are going to be prioritized in a primary, a major parameter should be "are these votes attainable in the general yes or no".

And the why do you hate black people shtick is pretty offensive. By that same logic anyone who opposes Oklahoma going first in the Dem primary must get off on seeing native Americans disenfranchised.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

No worries! Sorry for the confusion, I must have read you wrong there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MSB3000 posted:

Countdown until the narrative switches to calling him an antifa deep agent.

depends. the trumpist chuds and alt right will defend him til the end as some victim of a feminist/sjw plot or some horse poo poo. the smarter ghouls will try to push him out but not do anything when imeachment happens.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

In case you missed it, but at least two people pointed out that Russia also invaded Eastern Ukraine; they were eventually checked because continuing the invasion indeed did result in a price they weren't willing to pay but if Ukraine didn't manage to stop the bleeding and checking some of the Russian mechanized columns then Russia might have been able to take half a Ukraine or more, or possibly toppled the government entirely. It isn't that Russia decided "Nope not touching that", they did in fact touch the hot part of the stove and burnt their hand.

Nah, Russia and proxies crushed the Ukrainian army in 2014 at Ilovaisk, and then pushed for Minsk so they could "freeze" the conflict. If they wanted to pay the cost of invading/occupying Ukraine, they could have done so then. It absolutely wasn't a case of the Ukrainians forcing the Russians to the table.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Solaris 2.0 posted:

You could make a pretty strong argument that a red state with a rock solid blue demographic should have more say over the process because changes at the federal level is the only way they'll ever, ever see a single micron of help.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
That CNN article sure reads like the party's not just letting him twist but actively putting the knives in. The tweet only implies it, but per the article two of those sources were the colleagues he showed his homegrown to. Also, there's this bit:

quote:

At one point during Gaetz's first term, staff for then-House Speaker Paul Ryan held a short meeting with Gaetz in the Capitol, where they had a discussion with Gaetz about acting professionally while in Congress, according to two sources with knowledge of the meeting. One source said the conversation wasn't tied to a specific incident. Ryan didn't directly have a conversation with Gaetz.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

I've been meaning to read The Power Broker for a while now. I know it was written a while ago so the research might not have existed then, but does it go into how these infrastructure projects lead to urban decay, or is it pretty much a straight biography about Robert Moses and the SBE?

Yup, to a wonderful degree. Moses purposefully ruined numerous communities and vaporized Manhattan's entire beautiful coastline and last remaining natural forests in an effort, to a certain degree, to evict and turn entire communities of immigrants and colored people into refugees. This continued with his "urban renewal" plans, which tore down entire neighborhoods and essentially turned black people into a wandering people that got evicted from downtown Manhattan, to only find some respite in Harlem decades later.

Of course Moses was just a line of white people responsible for that, people who tore down the thriving black neighborhood that used to exist in what is now Central Park. Here's an article about it: https://www.centralparknyc.org/articles/seneca-village

Moses was singularly the most important and influential urban planner that's ever existed, and if he had only stuck to his original objective to create parks on garbage dump, we would have all been better off.

to this day, NYC is what Moses envisioned, and it's hard to imagine it breaking out of it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vasukhani posted:

The use of proxy forces in Eastern Ukraine actually supports the idea that Putin never wanted to invade Ukraine directly outside of Crimea, and he is being forced to do so in order to salvage a foreign policy goal. It's no more normative than saying an army was forced to retreat

Russia didn't just use proxies, they sent regular forces too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Veryslightlymad posted:

Can I put in a vote for Michigan? We have Superman Ice Cream. Anyone that hasn't pooped bright green at least once in their life isn't fit for public office.

We all want to see who gets the coveted ICP endorsement.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

Russia didn't just use proxies, they sent regular forces too.

Yes? I don't get your point, do you really think Putin wanted to take half of Ukraine and was just stopped by the glorious Ukrainian army? He wanted Crimea and frozen conflict in the east, the water situation is forcing him to use more costly methods to maintain the first objective. Again, the Russians defeated the Ukrainian Army, forcing them to de facto recognize dnr/lnr.

But this is USPOL. My point was that the Americans are doing a very meek "oh no sovereignty" play and its pretty clear they're willing to leave Ukraine to the wolves.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Gaetz-gate

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

As long as they were of age, this actually makes the Gaetz situation funnier.

"Check out my hula hoop fetish" is way cooler than "Check out my misappropriation of funds to groom and statutorily rape a minor."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So wait the voices of black people in South Carolina shouldn't matter? Is that what you're saying? :psyduck:

plenty of black people in NY and Illinois. Of the top ten states for black ppl, the only southern states that place in it are GA and FL.

Have New York lead the nation imo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Look, if they'd been willing to vote for Bernie like they were supposed to, we'd be willing to listen to them. :colbert:

Seriously though it's kind of disturbing how quickly some folks here will discard democratic principles when they're disappointed by the voters.

Iowa and NH were a shitshow this cycle, and just on a competency level should not be so prominent.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shageletic posted:

Iowa and NH were a shitshow this cycle, and just on a competency level should not be so prominent.

Why was NH a shitshow? It ran the same as it always did and we had a winner less than 4 hours after polls closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Shageletic posted:

plenty of black people in NY and Illinois. Of the top ten states for black ppl, the only southern states that place in it are GA and FL.

Have New York lead the nation imo.
On the other hand this:

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Red states should not be allowed to pick the blue candidate.
Would encompass more than 40% of black adults (depending on metric used, in my case: whether the state went blue twice in the last 20 years, when Dems won the popular vote all but once). Notably and relevant for the sake of the primaries, it also contains every state where [s]at least five of the six states where more than a quarter of the population is black (DE clocks in at 25%).

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

And the why do you hate black people shtick is pretty offensive. By that same logic anyone who opposes Oklahoma going first in the Dem primary must get off on seeing native Americans disenfranchised.
That's not remotely close to what you said.

e2:Maryland is a lizardman myth and not a state. Like Atlantis or Wyoming.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 2, 2021