Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dr_rat posted:

How many seats do the dems need to pass something with a veto proof majority?

Roughly infinity, for all intents and purposes.

Edit: In my lifetime the closest either party has gotten is 58 seats, which is 9 short. And if course you need them all voting in lockstep, with no Joe Manchins to oppose M4A or whatever.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Xombie posted:

I just do not understand why the Senate doesn't pass this poo poo on a veto-proof majority just to save their own hides.

They can't win without Trump cult votes, backstabbing him wouldn't save anything.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I think they were technically taking a shortcut by going through a gated (but open at the time?) private "street"... peacefully mind you, but I don't think it was public property.

I thought the mayor lived within the gated community?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Have you tried offering them at least market value for their skills?

Is training not a thing anymore or do all employers expect everyone else to bear the cost of that?

The only way to grow profits is to cut expenses by any means.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Xombie posted:

There is no good way to answer it. Answering frames it as something they have to defend. Defending it loses votes with people that don't agree with it. People who do agree with it are already voting straight ticket D.

Just say something like, "In the last thirty years, Republicans have won the most national votes one time while appointing 5 of 7 justices. It's Congress' responsibility to restore democracy to the Supreme Court."

There's no reason to hem and haw unless you're trying to weasel out of doing it. I'm guessing Democrats want to threaten Republicans with it, but it's a completely empty threat, at least for now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
To be fair, Trump being publicly associated with a brand seems like a great time to sell.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Trump's down to 14% on 538. Trump's chances of winning continue to drop a percentage point every couple of days.

That's about half what it was in 2016, so his chance of winning 2020 is literally a coin flip.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

The only reason white supremacists aren't just openly pushing straight-up openly-stated segregation laws anymore is that they know the courts will strike it down as blatantly unconstitutional. The only reason they try to tiptoe around it now is to try to avoid their laws getting struck down. Put a couple of justices on the court who won't give a straight answer on Brown v Board and there'll be multiple straight-up racial segregation laws on the docket by the Court's next term.

I thought it was because schools are already successfully segregated.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol anyone got a good explanation of the fraud taking place with these bullshit matches

My match story:

I gave some money to Lisa Savage for Maine (Green Senate candidate). She called me to ask if she could use my donation for matching, to which I agreed. She asked why I supported her campaign, I said something about environmental justice probably. There was an awkward pause, I yelled I FORGOT HOW TO TALK TO PEOPLE and I hung up.

It was a Green Senate race so obviously all the numbers were smaller.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I do not support term limits.

I do support a mandatory retirement age of 75 for all federal jobs. *ALL*.

What if The Villages had no one eligible to represent them in the House?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Allow me to introduce you to one Addison Mitchell McConnell Jr. of circa September 2008 to circa January 2015. There's a LOT of poo poo McConnell can do as minority leader that's even deadlier than what he's accomplished as majority leader.

He can do jack poo poo. Anything he accomplished as minority leader was with Democratic accomplices.

Twitter broke, what is this?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 15, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

JT Jag posted:

In the 2000s Republicans allowed themselves to voice frustrations regarding things like the handling of Katrina or the execution of the Iraq War when being polled. Even if they disagreed with Bush, they'd still vote for a Republican. Now, Trumpism is Republicanism and dissenting with Trump on anything is a one-way ride to being called a RINO.

I think the other layer is that Bush had low approval due to bad events like these. Trump had a growing economy and avoided starting new wars and people still hated him because he's a giant rear end in a top hat. No matter what is happening in the country his disapproval is relatively steady (and high) because people hate him personally, that will be hard to rehabilitate. It's easier for many people to forgive Bush as the events of 20 years ago fade into history.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Covid can't affect him anymore so he doesn't give a poo poo about it at all now. loving narcissistic sociopath.

It actually can still infect him. :ssh:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ewiley posted:

I don’t get the logic that voter suppression *isn’t* a threat to election integrity. Disenfranchising people is way more likely than voter fraud, and loving ink signatures are hardly the best way to authenticate a person’s ballot.

E: it’s a felony to tamper with the mail, a felony to tamper with votes, and it’s not a monetary crime, so who is going to risk significant jail time getting caught doing either? It’s just all so stupid and nakedly partisan.

Voter suppression is perpetrated against poc, vote fraud (of the type being hypothetically prevented) is perp by poc.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dammerung posted:

Gundam pilots have nerves of steel, after all.

Gundam pilot and Congress person, how is she not a sex weirdo?

FBS posted:

Ilhan Omar has a better gaming rig than me :ohdear:

I assumed it's not her personal pc because it's probably an office computer so she has staff around, but with the pandemic maybe she's wfh?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 21, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

It's possible to believe "Our society has a lot of weird sexual hang-ups and we should examine them and be less uptight" and "Don't whip out your hog and start cranking it if there's even a possibility that you're streaming it to your coworkers" at the same time, y'know

My pitch is an article about how this is the result of the ongoing merging of our professional and personal lives.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

I think people should be skeptical of what they read. Stop defending people believing random poo poo they hear on the internet. There were several pages of people believing that Trump was literally dying from covid and all recordings of him were pre-recorded/green screened. There is a lot of made up poo poo in here that's extremely reminiscent of qanon style thinking.

Don't be ridiculous, qanon isn't remotely as funny.

so about the same as pot

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Obama's skill ends at pretty speeches.

The problem isn't his skills, it's his goals.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Stop trying to use probations to convey your political views. Especially wrong ones.

Is "warcrimes are bad" a political view?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I love that his mindset was "This absolutely garbage fire of Giuliani's can be covered up by my monstrous tire fire of an interview! GENIUS!"

That's been his MO the whole time. Just gently caress up so frequently and rapidly that nothing stays in the news long enough to stick.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

freeasinbeer posted:

He went to Georgetown for undergrad and has a law degree from Yale.

So he is 1000000% a failson who got BS jobs, but he was also theoretically on the white guy Ivy League gravy train even without his dads last name.

How do you think he got on the Ivy League gravy train?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What if all the republican crafted election day suppression and long lines just suppresses their own loving voters.

I think the only suppression that might impact them is covid-19 headlines this week.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Xombie posted:

An impeachment would never have made it to the Senate by now.

Why not?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

haveblue posted:

The other side of the coin is that PR has a straightforward and well-trodden path to statehood while DC would most likely require an amendment.

I thought constitutional DC might become "federal government buildings" as the surrounding city becomes a state.

It didn't take an amendment to retrocede half of DC to Virginia, did it?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

So this picture of Rudy holding up a blank laptop screen is totally gonna get photoshopped with all sorts of hilarious and offensive stuff now right?

Ring is on the wrong finger.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Trump seems to have at least turbo charged the progressive movement in the US. How sustainable it is, how much power and influence it will have in the Democratic party, locally, etc remains to be seen. But at least its there and the US hasn’t really had an effective progressive movement since the 1970s.

Seems pretty clear already the impact is that Democrats have to say they support fracking because it's good for the environment.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Donald Trump was openly greedy and corrupt in a way that I can't think of any past parallel for. Usually corrupt politicians try to hide it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

haveblue posted:

That is correct. The Georgia runoffs will decide control of the Senate for the next 2 years.

I predict record numbers of split-ticket voters because :decorum:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I think letting states have any involvement in higher education is inherently risk though, if for no other reasons we know that states are making higher education funding decisions based on ideology.

The federal government also makes decisions based on ideology. Is it better for half the schools to be decent, or for all of them to be decent half the time?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

You would need a GOP Senator who feels vulnerable in 2022, or one that just doesn't give a gently caress.

So uh Romney?

Collins seems selfish and stupid enough to do it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

no one gives a gently caress about hawley and they wont in 10 years

I feel like people say this about every presidential candidate ten years before their election.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Retaining is meaningless if there are no jobs. Are we expecting the entire population of West Virginia to move to silicon valley?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
You can find a state legislator saying pretty much anything. There's crazies in every state.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I've been bangin' on for a day or two, with modhat stylishly half-cocked, about how maybe people shouldn't make incendiary statements to which the only effort-equivalent response is "lol no", and felt that one was an appropriate case study. Turns out "half-assed opinion stated as fact" "lol no" isn't a particularly good contribution to the discourse and makes even the original poster feel bad.

Post better. This isn't cspam.

If you spent the year listening to the head of the Democratic party worry that Republicans might lose too badly and you still think Democrats want to win, no amount of "posting better" is going to convince you of anything. If someone were in the thread defending Trump like this they'd be probed for trolling or bad faith posting.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

spunkshui posted:

edit: its clearly a play on "go joe" from the cartoons, right down to the colors.

CmdrRiker posted:

Calling it a slur is a little bit of a reach. It's a generic 2020 election buzzword that was mentioned in an article focusing on a specific demographic.

I can't decide which of these posts is funnier. They're both so good for different reasons.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is this?

This thread is way more interesting when it discusses reality.

Closing the other thread was a mistake.

edit: its clearly a play on "go joe" from the cartoons, right down to the colors.

The thread is pretty much hosed because the mods worship effort posters, but the only effort posts are from people who need 300 words to justify why the Democrats are actually good despite a long list of failures that need to be explained away. It's just a parade of people responding to someone's essay on why the earth is actually flat with "just watch an eclipse" and being probed for low effort trolling.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

"nojoe" is a tag that certain posters on this forum proudly wore themselves.
girlboss is also a proudly self-applied tag that is apparently now a slur for some reason.

CmdrRiker posted:

Still waiting on President Smooth Brain to start tweeting for the day.
He's technically only president-elect smooth brain until January.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 13, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

People aren’t offended by “Democrat party,” they just recognize it as a sign that the very concerned person using it is not actually on the left as they claim to be.

Why would insulting Democrats be incompatible with the left?

CmdrRiker posted:

gently caress you, girlboss is a bullshit condescending label. Don't use it.

A brief googling of nojoe doesn't yield the same controversial results as girlboss. These are not comparable and this inhibits your credibility and argument tremendously. I will listen to a group of people making an argument but not one person that doesn't cite their sources and could likely be overly sensitive about the matter.
A brief googling of girlboss gives me a bunch of articles about a show on Netflix. :confused:

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 13, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

whydirt posted:

I searched the 2020 DNC Platform and found:

Clean coal appears 0 times (the word coal is only used once in the phrase "coal country")
Right-to-work only appears 1 time and only in terms of wanting to repeal these laws
School choice appears 0 times
Stand your ground appears 0 times
Enhanced interrogation appears 0 times; the word torture is used in saying it should be condemned
Death tax appears 0 times; estate tax is used in saying they should be raised to historical norms

Those terms don't appear in the 2020 RNC platform either.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think most of the people in this thread using it will gladly tell you that they have little or no respect for the Democrats. Doesn't mean they're on the right, though, even if they're coopting that phrasing.

There's nothing inherently right-wing about the phrase "Democrat party", it's not comparable to issues-based language like Clean Coal or Right to Work in any way. Referring to it as right-wing phrasing is pure non-logic. Might as well say all rocketry is Nazism.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 13, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I think it is a mistake for Joe Biden not to be a sore winner. He really needs to rub it in, but he will not, thus a mistake.

I can't tell what you're advocating for specifically, but he needs to rub it in by doing good things for voters, not by posting sick twitter burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

On second thought, yeah, if crimes were committed then it might be worse for democracy NOT to prosecute them, as long as the legal process is followed 100%

Using executive immunity to continue crime sprees is what killed the Roman Republic.